Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 36

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 26: Very Worstestest Things (Done)  (Read 41848 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 26: Very Worstestest Things (sub found)
« Reply #375 on: April 17, 2017, 08:57:32 am »

It's interesting seeing the different strategies people use for their province defense. Two of my neighbors have the absolute opposite strategies going on - one has never put a single gold piece into it, while the other spends as much as a small castle - apparently on every single province they own.

Trying not to go into crazy detail about my thoughts on the matter, but I will give one piece of information for all the major cheapskates out there: Not spending anything at all opens you up to mass takeovers of your backfield provinces by enemy scouts (not that I'd know anything about that...) - spending even just a single gold means that it'll at least be an even fight (your commander vs the enemy scout), making it so that your attacker (unless they're feeling lucky) will have to either spend gems (for something like a handful of acorns/skull talisman/water bottle) or gold+turns (additional scouts).

Also, having even a single gold invested in a province allows you to see the battle report - a 100% accurate report of what an enemy army has, up to and including what (if any) items or gems are on the commanders and mages.

PD 1 - it's worth it!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 17, 2017, 09:35:13 am »

I'm back.
I won't ask for my spot back (obvi) but I would love to get a PM on the further fate of my nation (K'narwa.)

Edit: I have been informed that my nation is abandoned at the moment. With DFNewb's silent consent, I would like to play out it's final hours.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:24:06 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 17, 2017, 02:39:28 pm »

Sounds fine to me a1s.

On a related note. I'm heading straight to work from my family place and can't get home till tomorrow after work.
So I'll need around a 3 hour extention.

Sorry about that.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 17, 2017, 02:43:53 pm »

I will sell gems for gold (or larger amounts of gems). Most kinds available. PM me for details.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 18, 2017, 01:05:15 pm »

Thanks for the extension!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 19, 2017, 08:50:02 am »

Darn turn, popping up literally a minute before I was about to leave for work - and you can't just leave it sitting there like that! You've got to at least watch the battles.

I managed to pull myself away before I went and did the entire turn, but I was 15 minutes late leaving the house.  :P

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 21, 2017, 03:38:27 am »

I'm raiding my land, others are raiding it, everyone is raiding it. Maybe I should start some more wars so there are more armys around to block each other ; ) I have come to enjoy my death-waste-land.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 21, 2017, 07:49:25 am »

Hmm, one battle that went way better than expected... and one that went a little worse - I suppose it all evens out in the end.

As a side note, that's one of the reasons why it's usually a good idea to keep your commanders out of the front lines - especially if they're the only commander on the field.

edit: For what it's worth, on commanders who don't have a ranged attack/spells and who I don't want to fight, I set their actions to (hold)(hold)(hold)(hold)(hold)Stay behind troops.

Follow-up hint related to the above: you can copy-paste orders. Highlight the orders you want to copy, hit ctrl-1, then hit 1 to paste. Lifesaver when you want a bunch of mages to all follow the same script.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:09:21 pm by AlStar »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 21, 2017, 03:37:02 pm »

Wait, you expected that to go better? I though that was a probing force  :-\
The Kathan of modern day seems to be a pale shadow of the Kathan I knew...

P.S. still selling gems for laughably small sums of gold.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 23, 2017, 09:09:19 pm »

In my defense, I had no idea how many mages you had sitting there, and if they'd had a chance to summon anything - given the throwing-my-hands-up-in-the-air-and-walking-off bit your sub did, it was pretty much impossible to guess. It was a long shot, and in hindsight I obviously would've waited for reinforcements, but... *shrug*

In other news, in case anyone was curious: E9 Earth Serpents, deep in their own domain, with awe 3, suck. That is all.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 26: Very Worstestest Things (churn, churn, churn)
« Reply #385 on: April 23, 2017, 09:57:07 pm »

In my defense, I had no idea how many mages you had sitting there, and if they'd had a chance to summon anything - given the throwing-my-hands-up-in-the-air-and-walking-off bit your sub did, it was pretty much impossible to guess.
Well, on the bright side, you're about to crush my aquatic force. Hopefully feeding you those mermen will free up some upkeep.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 24, 2017, 03:58:29 am »

Also, not sure if it's a bug, but my Captain unit (the drake rider) loses his fire breath ability when equipping a weapon or shield in one of the slots. It seems like a bug, as the Fire Breath should be used by my mount instead of my rider.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 24, 2017, 12:10:49 pm »

Pretty sure that's an engine bug. There's always been some weirdness about how built-in weapons interact with equipped ones. My favorite was the brief period when giving illithids a Pebble Pouch (in a certain way) would let them throw boulders with the range and accuracy of their mind blasts...

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 26, 2017, 01:52:00 am »

That went well. (The only thing sadder than seeing a Illithid lose a mind blast battle is seeing one do a bayonet charge on a mercury demon. Alone. In a robe.)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 28, 2017, 07:47:25 am »

I'll admit, if we'd taken bets on "which global will be first cast" I would not have picked Burden of Time.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 36