Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Power, the US politics game  (Read 5694 times)

TheFlemishDuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Power, the US politics game
« on: January 09, 2017, 09:03:34 am »

May i introduce you to a fairly new/in development game that is rather crude but i have found to be rather fun.

http://oppressive.games/power/index.php

Basicly you make a politician in a US state with certain ideological picks (best to take picks that somewhat match youre state) and you try to run for senator, governor, party chairman or president. There are a number of implemented features and more is being added graduatly, the senate is more fleshed out and economy is getting implemented.

It's rather playable and there is plenty of room for intrigue and backstabbing. I must warn people though, it also attracks some unsavory extreme ideological types, the republican party for ex. is currently struggling due to the influence of the "too much right" elements. The democratic leadership has questionable loyalty's too, not to be trusted entirely.

Also for many it's a lot about meme's

I think this game can use more intelligent players, so therefore i'm promoting it here. If possible even players of this forum should join and work toghether in secrecy for the glory of Bay12, other strategy forum's tried but didn't use enough secrecy.

Personally i'm rooting for the Greens, in that respect it's in my interrest to invite more players to the game to shake up the big party's and their questionable leadership.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:14:01 am by TheFlemishDuck »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Power, the US politics game
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 10:34:58 am »

You lost me right there

TheFlemishDuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 10:42:58 am »

You lost me right there

Yeah i tend to look over those too, but there tends to be an audience.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 12:02:52 pm »

... the republican party for ex. is currently struggling due to the influence of the "too much right" elements. The democratic leadership has questionable loyalty's too, not to be trusted entirely.

...I honestly can't tell if you're describing the game, or real life, or real life via the game.

Anyways. I'll definitely check it out.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 05:17:14 pm »

It's not realistic if gerrymandering and voter suppression don't exist
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TheFlemishDuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 05:32:59 pm »

The game is in development and is added to regularly, i asked they said gerrymandering is on the agenda.

...I honestly can't tell if you're describing the game, or real life, or real life via the game.

Well real life got to represent itself in the game. For a bit of fun you can always check the bills that got passed, some truly dreadfull stuff there.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:45:26 pm by TheFlemishDuck »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 07:56:15 pm »

Isn't this by Rumsod? I really, really hope it doesn't fall into the deep pit of no updates and player exploitation that Bloc did.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 07:59:20 pm »

You mean the pit of no updates and player exploitation that Bloc regularly falls into, desperately claws its way out of, then plummets straight back into about once a quarter?
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

TheFlemishDuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 08:04:36 pm »

Rumsod indeed. I never played Bloc, what was the issue of "player exploitation"?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 08:07:15 pm »

Players exploiting the game with HAX. And eventually the forum with Nazi Robot HAX.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Sir Scarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 11:40:32 pm »

It's not realistic if gerrymandering and voter suppression don't exist

Well, voter disenfranchisement is definitely a thing here since the only thing that matters at all is your politicians' own cult of personality. In a close senate race, I had three opponents: one was far behind the rest, another guy was running against my platform, and another guy was running on roughly the same platform as I was. I had roughly 30%, so did the guy that was close to my platform, the guy running on the other platform had roughly 40%, and the last guy had 2% support.

Naturally, I decide to bow out of the race and endorse my team, since then he'd get roughly 60% of the vote and thus gain the seat. However, when I left the race, every other candidate went up by the same proportionately to each other, leaving my gesture entirely pointless and doing nothing whatsoever to effect the race at all.
DF is the art of squeezing fun from a rock: You don't get it from the rock. The fun is in the challenge. Ultimately, the fun comes from yourself.

And Magma.

TheFlemishDuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 03:41:09 am »

It does depend on ideological picks, but influence plays a very big role. ive calculated that you get about a -5% reduction with every ideological step a pop is removed from you, however you are gonna get few -50% reductions, even if youre very left you wil haev about half the votes on the right than you have on the left, and a right winger with double the influence will have about as much left votes as you do.

So i take you were perhaps in the center of ideology's there.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 02:42:39 pm »

Yeah, fair warning : it's an Oppressive Games game, with all that it entails : pretty toxic community (for some, for others it's just loads of fun), rumsod, buggy games, often fairly unfrequent updates and so on. Overall, they're still pretty fun if you can get interested in the meta. Bloc is still the most interesting game so far, not sure how far Power will go (hopefully it'll be better than Front).

Friend Computer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 03:31:50 pm »

Dorf Huey Long shall rise!

*checks*

Damn it, someone already made Huey Long! Guess it's time for Jack Reed and the Combined Syndicates of America to rise! Break the chains! Break the chains!
Hey Bay12ers, we have a Land of Lords Discord chat, come on in and visit today! https://discord.gg/53f3mEX

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 03:48:10 pm »

The problem with voter suppression is that a lot of the time that accusation is brought up it is in vague nebulous ways. (except you know... that time where they sent fake voting dates or locations to voters)

It isn't like some countries where armed guards literally are there to do just that.
Pages: [1] 2