Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Redstar: Communist Fortress  (Read 25422 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Redstar: Communist Fortress
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2017, 09:33:44 pm »

:o
No. Very, very no.

AH, AH, COMRADE.

Edits, and OOC

Erin Quill will do essentially anything to get out of harm's way. Considering that the GULAG is an arena where people fight for citizenship for at least 10 years and going up to potentially forever, Erin basically holds it to be synonymous with "in harm's way". Really, he'll do all that he can to avoid breaking the laws that get set; it's not until he gets convicted of something that he'll really start pulling out all the stops.

Y'know, when Erin Quill was first introduced (back in Blazecooks), he was a mad scientist with a background as wandering trader. As the game progressed, he kind of got shown in two extremes: the obsessive who had a fascination for a random object (specifically, cotton paper), and the trader who just couldn't fit in to the whole "communism" deal. Since then, I feel like the "mad scientist" part of Quill can be best found in Necrothreat IV, while the wandering trader and misfit capitalist parts are found in here; strange in both locations, but for very different reasons.

No, things said OOC cannot count against a character. This whole exploration into what Erin is should not be used against him in the court of law, or in any unofficial penal action, either.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:26:06 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2017, 10:17:53 pm »

I shall volunteer, if it is for the glory of our great fortress of innovation and communist ideals!
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2017, 11:27:40 pm »

Comrades, perhaps out of fairness we should take the time required to train the wards of the state in combat and provide them with decent weapons and armor before they head into the GULAG in order to earn their full citizenship. After all, they have undergone a proper education into communism so it is only fitting that we prepare them as best we can for their citizenship exams. 
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2017, 12:19:34 am »

OOC:
:o
No. Very, very no.

AH, AH, COMRADE.

Edits, and OOC

Erin Quill will do essentially anything to get out of harm's way. Considering that the GULAG is an arena where people fight for citizenship for at least 10 years and going up to potentially forever, Erin basically holds it to be synonymous with "in harm's way". Really, he'll do all that he can to avoid breaking the laws that get set; it's not until he gets convicted of something that he'll really start pulling out all the stops.

Y'know, when Erin Quill was first introduced (back in Blazecooks), he was a mad scientist with a background as wandering trader. As the game progressed, he kind of got shown in two extremes: the obsessive who had a fascination for a random object (specifically, cotton paper), and the trader who just couldn't fit in to the whole "communism" deal. Since then, I feel like the "mad scientist" part of Quill can be best found in Necrothreat IV, while the wandering trader and misfit capitalist parts are found in here; strange in both locations, but for very different reasons.

No, things said OOC cannot count against a character. This whole exploration into what Erin is should not be used against him in the court of law, or in any unofficial penal action, either.

I was making a joke comrade, and I don't know if the citizenship thing will actually happen.

I shall volunteer, if it is for the glory of our great fortress of innovation and communist ideals!

Thank you! I shall give you one of the stronkest dwarves in RedStar and give profession of GULAG Helper (GULAG Confidant?).

Comrades, perhaps out of fairness we should take the time required to train the wards of the state in combat and provide them with decent weapons and armor before they head into the GULAG in order to earn their full citizenship. After all, they have undergone a proper education into communism so it is only fitting that we prepare them as best we can for their citizenship exams. 
Live training is best training, Comrade. They get coolest armor. FB Bone and (hopefully) FB Leather. With red capes and obsidian shortswords. And copper shields!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sekrit Dokumentz: Granite 17 Y26
Comrade Overseer Delerdorf Tulonistrath

Nothing of note happened until thoze dizgusting fascists arrived.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Military made zhort work of 'em after we took all their stuff.
All knickknacks and other garbage was set to dump into volcano.

Sekrit Dokumentz: Slate 17 Y26

17 new comrades came in today! They quickly got to work hauling stuff around.
It has been a month and they haven't dumped those useless elven goods yet either. I'll need to find out why...

Sekrit Dokumentz: Felsite 09 Y26

I have received word that Bob Bobevna dropped mining tasks, babbling about needing to design something.

Sekrit Dokumentz: Felsite 11 Y26

She claimed mason's workshop. Thank our glorious Mother Mountainhome. We'll get something useful!

Sekrit Dokumentz: Felsite 12 Y26

Bob Bobevna has begun construct whatever it is she's making. That took no time at all. I've heard stories of it usually taking forever or they need some ridiculous item like mussel shells. Bob just need two rock, like true dorf.

Sekrit Dokumentz: Felsite 16 Y26

Four day later, Bob make floodgate!
Now need to consult recordz on if artifact floodgate can be used in magma cannon.

I have included sketch of main road for Grand Entrance of RedStar.

Sekrit Dokumentz: Hematite 16 Y26

We don't have much in way of many metals, so I draft plans of grid mine to search all biomes of territory for metals.
Hopefully we find good ztuff without trouble.

Sekrit Dokumentz: Malachite 07 Y26

I had to open mouth. Some Urist didn't alert to warm stone.
Measures commanded to contain flood.

Sekrit Dokumentz: Limestone 09 Y26

Chinchilla people came by few days 'go. Capitalist or Fascist spies, the dogs would no' attack otherwise. I sent the squads, including new speardorf squad, after the spies. Even though speardorfs don't have weapons, one of them did well from what I saw of fight. If it could be called.
The dorf managed to blind the spy from looks of it. Then Militia Commander Sanctume lopped the spy's head off. He might have got kill, but the speardorf did most.
Hammer squad and other axedorfs finished off last three spies in good order.

Sekrit Dokumentz: Timber 08 Y26

Another werecreature thought it good idea to attack us. All melee squads attack it, but not many actually do.
Might have been scared off by spikes. The cowards. Even I took part in glorious battle with battleaxe! Although I can't remember..OH yes. Woodcutting. Chop chop chop.
This brave axedorf, Comrade Lorbam, was first to fight werebeast. Got limbs torn off but kept fighting, biting it right back. Will get full burial if he dies.

Sekrit Dokumentz: Timber 17 Y26

Nine days of fighting and werebeast is dead. Lost only one, thank Mountainhome.
Battle honors to myself, Comrade Lorbam, Comrade Eral, Comrade Vuohijumalov, and Comrade Zasit for most damage dealt.

Unfortunately, Lorbam didn't make it. Bled out in middle of fight. I got bit many time, even now I feel it moving through me...*the writing becomes jerky, like the arm was being poked a lot* like little pinpricks...

I quickly move to hospital and order bed second closest to my desk removed. Then I order wall built around my bed and desk and chair. I can still talk and hold meeting, but it does need shouting. At least I can't hurt any comrades.

Sekrit Dokumentz: Moonstone 01 Y26

I'm told that a kid who got possessed few months 'go went stark raving mad. But he had gone for a craftsdorf workshop, so it'd have been most likely useless trinket anyway. He not matter.

*There is ink splatters and some tears in the next few pages*

Sekrit Dokumentz: Moonstone 07 Y26

GlorytothemountainhomeGlorytothemountainhomeGlorytothemountainhome.

It happen. I turned. It was awful, like skin was about to tear off. I need to put log book and ink away before next turning, ripped precious pages.

Sekrit Dokumentz: Opal 21 Y26

During start of construction of tomb complex, an accident happen. I hope.
Erin Quill got sealed inside from above entrance when he make wall to make tomb all same size. I don't know who did it, but the only reason true communist would is if suspect Quill of being Capitalist or Fascist. Or Quill saw them doing stuff against Communism and they want to keep that hidden. Will need to think and have all files of all dorfs sent to me soon.

Sekrit Dokumentz: Obsidian 18 Y26

Another mood was reported to me.
He claimed a mason's workshop. Hopefully he won't beg for something we don't have. But elves might have it next time those fascist treehuggers come.

Sekrit Dokumentz: Obsidian 28 Y26

I have ordered sketches of current defensive status to be sent to me. Here they are.

Sekrit Dokumentz: Granite 01 Y27

Time for New Years Report.

---------------------------------------------------------

OOC: In all seriousness, what's the plant needed to grow red dye?
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2017, 12:27:33 am »

Hideroot.

More likely than not, Erin just got distracted while working. Seriously, no capitalism in this one.
He's very absentminded.

EDIT: Tell me if he's singing songs from our world, or mumbling about paper. He does that sometimes.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 12:30:58 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2017, 12:37:23 am »

= 38 citizens...enough for a werebeast.

= Very long corridors there.

= Deaths already...tsk. A shame.

= Where were the dogs when werebeast attacked? They wouldn't be able to turn into an animals, already being one...

And now, a minotaur might be also pretty deadly.

= Uh oh. Massive FPS issue that was not present in 0.34

= There is a wiki: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Dye. Hide root has a space, btw.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2017, 06:23:21 am »

Journal of Comarade Senshuken~

First Entry: Following the path of the Redstar.~

Dear Family,

I do not know when it will next be possible for me to send letters home for you to read, so I have decided to write down my letters in a journal which I will send home once I have the chance!

At the moment, I am on the glorious road to the new fortress of Redstar! I know that you wanted me to stay in the Mountainhome in order to discover my place in the grand scheme of things, but I welcome the challenge that somewhere that the truth of communism has not anchored itself as completely as it is around the Mountainhome would provide. I am not going to be able to cut down and burn the tree homes of the fascist elves from the safety of the capital!

The road itself is relatively uneventful for the most part. Hopefully we should be arriving at Redstar in the next couple of days... a week or two at the most.

Love you dearly, Senshuken.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2017, 11:52:49 am »

= 38 citizens...enough for a werebeast.

= Very long corridors there.

= Deaths already...tsk. A shame.

= Where were the dogs when werebeast attacked? They wouldn't be able to turn into an animals, already being one...

And now, a minotaur might be also pretty deadly.

= Uh oh. Massive FPS issue that was not present in 0.34

= There is a wiki: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Dye. Hide root has a space, btw.

OOC: Well, I'm not TOTALLY channeling it all out. ;) Where the road is located will remain solidly attached. The (maybe I don't really know most likely) reason for that guy's problem is that the ENTIRE thing was 'unattached' so creatures' pathfinding was all wonky since they had to go some ridiculous route that might-or-might-not-be fully open.

Journal of Comarade Senshuken~

First Entry: Following the path of the Redstar.~

Dear Family,

I do not know when it will next be possible for me to send letters home for you to read, so I have decided to write down my letters in a journal which I will send home once I have the chance!

At the moment, I am on the glorious road to the new fortress of Redstar! I know that you wanted me to stay in the Mountainhome in order to discover my place in the grand scheme of things, but I welcome the challenge that somewhere that the truth of communism has not anchored itself as completely as it is around the Mountainhome would provide. I am not going to be able to cut down and burn the tree homes of the fascist elves from the safety of the capital!

The road itself is relatively uneventful for the most part. Hopefully we should be arriving at Redstar in the next couple of days... a week or two at the most.

Love you dearly, Senshuken.

OOC: Whoops! I totally forgot. ^^; I'll put you in the next migrant wave, I promise!

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2017, 01:37:46 am »

The roleplay in this post is hilarious. May I be dorfed with anything please?

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2017, 11:14:24 pm »

The roleplay in this post is hilarious. May I be dorfed with anything please?

Absolutely Comrade! As Rosareven?

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2017, 05:00:26 am »

Yes please. Glory to Angvir! Glory to the Mountainhome!

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2017, 11:37:29 am »

Yes please. Glory to Angvir! Glory to the Mountainhome!

Alright Comrade!

Sorry it took so long to reply, schoolwork is annoying.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2017, 05:02:02 pm »

Quick post to say I'm not dead. XD I've got most of the year done, so far the only problems are those damn giant keas. Might need to increase the number of marksdwarves to keep the buggers away.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2017, 10:02:37 am »

Wow, insane rules, overly complex and inefficient methods and policies, pointless slaughter, poor standard of living.

This really is a communist fort!

Dorf me up comrades, I wish to be the weapon maker.

Call me Iron Dragunov.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2017, 11:23:35 am »

OOC: Our fortress might be suffering a slow, boring death due to a bug where the dorfs refuse to dig any deeper. If that is the case, I will go until all named dwarves are dead/have died at least once in the hopes they'll start freaking digging by then.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sekrit Dokuments: Granite 14 Y27

The artifact was completed. Is of some use.

Sekrit Dokuments: Granite 15 Y27

Damn fascist treehuggers are back. We give them usual welcome.
Is nice seeing their blood all 'round trade depot, nice red colour.

Sekrit Dokuments: Granite 22 Y27

Damn birds. Many idle, why none take bolts to where they go?!
(OOC: These are the most annoying parts, the birds and the fact none of my dwarves are moving things around despite us having plenty of space for them.)

Sekrit Dokuments: Slate 16 Y27

Comrade Rethi-Eli has been given task. Will dig out and build GULAG Pit by self for now. Will always design by self.
Currently 16x16 square. Will give permission for up to 25x25 and to lowest portion of volcano above allotted space. Also goes one z-level down for the pit part.

Sekrit Dokuments: Unknown date Y27

Is weird writing standing. I must have broken chair when notself.
Dwarves will dig tunnel to put in new chair.

Sekrit Dokuments: Unknown date Y27

I hear reports of magmacrab in fortress and that an unarmed military dwarf is attacking it alone despite all squads being alerted. I mark that in their files.

Sekrit Dokuments: Hematite 1 Y27

New season and first death of year. No drink is not good way to go.

Sekrit Dokuments: Hematite 12 Y27

The humans have arrived.
But no potatoes with them. We have no use for them now. Next year, we declare against capitalist pigdogs!

Sekrit Dokuments: Hematite 13 Y27

Humans dislike number 13 for some reason. I understand now.

At least their mandates won't be too bad. Lots of maces. We can use those in weapon traps.

Sekrit Dokuments: Hematite 17 Y27

I 'ave been told work begin on bottom trench. Dig down through mountain!

Sekrit Dokuments: Hematite 22 Y27

More migrants. We are close to being sieged and the defenses aren't complete! Perhaps we tried for too big at start...? No matter. Communism will always prevail over greenskin, fascist, and capitalist attack!

That is good.

Sekrit Dokuments: Galena 2 Y27

The first child with red blood to be born in Angvir!

Sekrit Dokuments: Galena 3 Y27

Gone mad? Prepare wooden coffin. Not our problem he didn't use what we have.

Sekrit Dokuments: Galena 6 Y27

80 pop. And we have many bodies not doing anything. Sacrifices must be made soon to keep us from being attacked as long as possible.

Sekrit Dokuments: Limestone 15 Y27

Fellow Communists have arrived! Or so I was told initially. Apparently Liason and some guards chase capybara around and wagons immediately left?
In other news, PURGE (Population Ultra Reduction Ground-based Engine) is being created.
The last migrant wave told me that some of next wave are criminals. I will put them and other useless bodies onto PURGE when arrive.

Sekrit Dokuments: Limestone 27 Y27

Here's hoping it won't be useless, given they are mason, it will have some use.

Sekrit Dokuments: Sandstone 4 Y27

The artifact is complete.

Sekrit Dokuments: Sandstone 5 Y27

They have arrived. Time for PURGE to be activated.

Sekrit Dokuments: Moonstone 2 Y27

PURGE did not help. They are on other side of volcano, enough time to get dwarfs inside.
Reports from those on the mountain suggest not many greenskin. Military should be enough to remove them.

Sekrit Dokuments: Moonstone 3 Y27

Cut them off on top of the mountain.

Ugly buggers.

Sekrit Dokuments: Moonstone 4 Y27

Reports say a speardwarf recruit made the first strike. We shall surely win.

CABL is eager. Too eager. Melee with a crossbow. Probably first death.

I was right.

Bastard kill Ryukan as well. Silver whip is deadly. We shall have it soon.

Especially with more vengeful strikes like this.

But not with idiocy like this.
...I did hear from two different people, so perhaps the first reported wrong about Bob not having a weapon?

We lost several more people, none of them important. 10 in total died protecting motherland. Mostly a result of being stupid. Although the marksdwarves was probably a result of not enough quivers for some reason.

Sekrit Dokuments: Moonstone 19 Y27

I have been slipped a note saying I am now the king? This is the first I have heard. And no mention of this place becoming the mountain home.

(OOC: Seriously. No mention what-so-ever. No 'After talking with nearby leaders, so-and-so has become the king' or 'You are now the mountain home!' The first I knew of it was when he banned the export of large gems. Delerdorf loves large gems. :/ So useless stuff. Gonna probably wind up rebuilding PURGE and send him down it or something because large gems aren't very communist.)

Sekrit Dokuments: Opal 12 Y27

A new artifact has been completed. Sadly a possession, so no legendary armorsmith.

Due to GULAG Counselor's position, they get special gear compared to rest of GULAG.

Sekrit Dokuments: Opal 20 Y27

They are refusing to dig past this point for some reason.
(OOC: Seriously. I don't know why. It said Z-level 99 when I screenshotted it, then a few minutes later said it was z-level 79 or so? Something has screwed it up immensely and this is why we're gonna die a slow death from no water. :/ )

What GULAG looks like for the moment.

Sekrit Dokuments: Granite 1 Y28

End of year wealth
End of year population
End of year deaths. 10 of actual combat. Every other dead dwarf died from dehydration. And one drank too much I think.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
OOC: What happened to all the goblins that got killed? There was a few of them and they showed up before. Do they vanish with ever year change?

The dehydration issue is massive, and only there because the fuckwits won't dig any deeper!!!! I might have to go and make them all suicide into the volcano then reclaim. :/

Wow, insane rules, overly complex and inefficient methods and policies, pointless slaughter, poor standard of living.

This really is a communist fort!

Dorf me up comrades, I wish to be the weapon maker.

Call me Iron Dragunov.

Greetings Comrade! All are weapon makers. But I can put you in with whoever has best skill. Delerdorf will complain about paperwork though. So much of it when it comes to name changes.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 01:10:34 pm by speciesunkn0wn »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13