Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mysterious Suffocation Deaths???  (Read 1538 times)

baldamundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mysterious Suffocation Deaths???
« on: January 07, 2017, 06:50:57 pm »

I'm having a lot of my orcs die randomly, with no warning and no explanation. It's not fast enough to cause me real problems, but it's quite annoying and certainly will be a problem if it starts hitting important orcs.

Most of the deaths happen in my dining hall, but some are elsewhere. Seems to be affecting all different castes and races - Uruks, Orcs, Snaga, I think a disproportionate amount of Goblins but that could be a coincidence? Using DFHack to autopsy them it tells me they're dying of suffocation.

Using Dwarf Therapist's health view, I think I'm seeing a pattern where they first get dizzy, then nauseous, then end up unconscious, winded, unable to stand and unable to breathe, before they eventually die of suffocation.

It's not affecting miners, nor disproportionately people who fought forgotten beasts or other critters that could have syndromes. Some have been non-combatants who arrived ages after the last monster attack. As far as I can tell, nobody's been covered in any forgotten beast ichor or similar. I'm pretty sure this biome doesn't have any evil weathers.

Totally running out of ideas here. Anyone know what's causing this?

EDIT: And, weirdly, if I use DFHack's 'full-heal' function on affected orcs, it just gets immediately reapplied, and if I try to resurrect those that die, they just die again immediately.

EDIT2: Okay, did some further digging and I'm starting to suspect my tavern keeper is poisoning people?? Gonna try sacking him and see what happens.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 07:18:38 pm by baldamundo »

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious Suffocation Deaths???
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 08:49:01 pm »

Do you have access to drinking water?

Orcs are not dwarves, they don't do well on alcohol alone.
They are not ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT and therefore shouldn't be left alone with a ton of alcohol.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

baldamundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 07:59:32 pm »

Yep - got a massive well set as a water source, just in the next room from my dining hall. Plus there's a river directly outside the front gate.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 08:41:44 pm »

theen my second guess would of been... did you set an executioner and give him a squad... I'd check and see if your justice tab matches the death list.  If you want the justice system to be in operation... you really need to set them to have no weapon, so they only wrestle and punch their justice into the population.... The other best option is to provide a jail with chains setup and nearby water/food piles that are 1 square away.  I'd check your combat reports to see if the guys have shown up there getting struck by someone. 

my 3rd guess... you butchered a mossrova or some other vile fungus critter whose meat makes your orcs sick.   they usually try to kill each other when they eat that.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal