Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: All fisherdwarf colony?  (Read 5494 times)

AmberMac

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr?
    • View Profile
All fisherdwarf colony?
« on: June 12, 2008, 10:14:00 pm »

Do you think it would be possible to survive with only 4 fisherdwarfs, And 2 fish disecters/fish cleaners? Im hoping to try this out, Because my last fortress fell to fire imps..  :( *Kinda nooby don'tcha think?* But im afraid to run outa booze, And not have enough to feed the incoming immigrants, X.x I usualy only take around 300-400 booze every time i embark, And i usually lose around 120+ a year. So whats a good setup for a fishing colony? (Im going to embark at a brook/waterfall site with plenty of sand to make an aboveground greenhouse type thing) But i don't know where im going to find a place with lava.. And everything i need.. In a small-pocket sized map. (MY comp runs extra slow on medium to standard maps)
"As soon as life start, It ends, there is no meaning, But to live your years, Turn into mulch for the next generation."

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: All fisherdwarf colony?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 10:28:00 pm »

A plot of 5x5 plump helmets should easily provide food and booze enough for up to 50 dwarves and since brewing and eating produces so many seeds you should have no trouble having enough to replant... are you not farming or brewing at all? You can easily run a fortress on plump helmets alone, even making plump helmets+plump helmets+plump helmet, etc. meals. And the dwarves don't really complain if all they have to drink is wine.

In fact I usually have a huge surplus of plump helmets even when having "cook meals" on repeat. Occasionally I struggle with finding enough barrels to hold the liquor, but that can be solved by limiting the number of barrels allowed in your food stockpile, leaving more open for dwarven hooch.

AmberMac

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 10:33:00 pm »

Uhm, I dont realy farm alot, But i can try, Do you think i can run off of plump helmets for 10+ years underground?? Or do the goblin invasions go in your staircase and kill you off underground?
"As soon as life start, It ends, there is no meaning, But to live your years, Turn into mulch for the next generation."

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:39:00 pm »

Without farming you're not going to have enough food or booze. It's pretty much necessary, you can't really ignore it. And by the time you start getting goblins you ought to have had a few useless migrants that you can turn into military dwarves. As long as you have wood you can construct crossbows and ammo for them. Then give them targets to practice on, and when you hide them behind some fortifications goblins shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Emerald Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 11:03:00 pm »

Skilled fisherdwarves are actually pretty fast, and a couple can feed a fortress of dozens.  The reason I wouldn't rely on it is that overfishing can deplete the stock (the game will tell you "There are no more fish in the central swamp"), and I'm not sure how fast they repopulate.

And, yeah, you can't brew fish.

Feeding your dwarves uncooked fish gets you a few extra bones for training crossbow bolts though, which is always nice.

Karpatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 03:35:00 am »

Don't forget turtle shells.

A fishing fortress... Nice idea.
I'll name it Innsmouth.

Karpatius cancels Eat: thirsty.
Karpatius cancels Drink: no water source.
Karpatius has died of thirst.

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 03:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Karpatius:
<STRONG>Don't forget turtle shells.

A fishing fortress... Nice idea.
I'll name it Innsmouth.</STRONG>

Dagon rises from the deep...

Karpatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 04:36:00 am »

Deep One bones and skulls. The meat must taste rancid and the hides smell horrible, though...

Actually... maybe make Deep Ones into the game...?

d Deep One
D Dagon
H Mother Hydra
C Great Cthulhu ( automatic loss of fortress, basicly )

Wouldn't it be possible to give them "telepathic" ranged attacks?
Melancholy damage.   :roll:

[ June 13, 2008: Message edited by: Karpatius ]

Karpatius cancels Eat: thirsty.
Karpatius has died of thirst.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 07:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Karpatius:
<STRONG>Deep One bones and skulls. The meat must taste rancid and the hides smell horrible, though...

Actually... maybe make Deep Ones into the game...?

d Deep One
D Dagon
H Mother Hydra
C Great Cthulhu ( automatic loss of fortress, basicly )

Wouldn't it be possible to give them "telepathic" ranged attacks?
Melancholy damage.    :roll:

[ June 13, 2008: Message edited by: Karpatius ]</STRONG>

Urist has been miserable lately.  He has seen the end times lately.  His mind was broken by unspeakable horrors lately.  He has been touched by His noodly appendage recently.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 08:51:00 am »

Urist has been ecstatic lately. He has seen the end times lately. His mind was broken by unspeakable horrors lately. He has been touched by His noodly appendage recently. He lost a friend due to tragedy lately. He was forced to endure the decay of a lover recently. Dined in a legendary dining room recently. Admired a fine door lately.

Fixed it for you.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 08:58:00 am »

It's true.  The horrors of the Old Ones and Elder Gods are no match for the cheering qualities of a cafeteria with well-smoothed chairs, pictures of dwarves and dwarves (the dwarves are talking to the dwarves), and a small puddle of stagnant water.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 09:38:00 am »

The ocean has lots of fish. And the zombie whales are really quite rare. Sometimes there's even magma. And in the current version the dwarves can drink from a saltwater aquifer if you build a well on it.

The booze will be harder to come by without farming. You can trade for it (the easy way), or just try to survive without it (the hard way). When the dwarves don't get alcohol, they get unhappy thoughts and work slower, but you could maybe compensate for that with a bunch of masterpiece statues here and there, a legendary dining room and just having a few more dwarves doing every job.

AmberMac

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 11:18:00 am »

Thanks Soad, Ill try an ocean, But usualy my computer laggs out by the waves, XD

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 01:29:00 pm »

You could forage instead of farming, if you embark in an area with lots of shrubs.  Make yourself an all-out hunter-gatherer society.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 11:43:00 pm »

This is actually a pretty good "challenge" idea. Only two food scources: Fishing and Gathering. Make all non-specific workers fishers. TADA! No hauling, because everybody is too busy fishing! I'll try that after Worshipdemon.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4