Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 51

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 77737 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #630 on: March 20, 2017, 11:57:58 pm »

* Devastator envisions the wall of politics that will be the town.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 21, 2017, 01:27:24 am »

I'm crazy, so I think we should obviously do one giant tile-based map containing the town, outposts, mission areas, and the rest of Oro all in one continuous space. :P

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 21, 2017, 07:09:54 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PW did ask for our personal opinion, so that's what I gave (I even specified that to an extend). I do think that, while not perfect, the system works well enough to be doable. It might be different for someone with no support skills at all, but honestly, we're only at our second expedition, the next one might be a combat one in which the builders and divers will be the ones to feel useless (and to be terribly honest, I sort of doubt the wisdom of getting no support skills in a game that's presented like dig, though I guess one can't be blamed for thinking there'd be more direct action).

Of course, if there's a better system available that ensures workarounds aren't needed in the first place and helps prevent people from overspecializing, that's fine by me, but I kinda suspect that another rulechange (and the respeccing that brings) would slow things down a lot and kill some of the interest in the game.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 21, 2017, 08:17:41 am »

I simply disagreed with your opinion, R_C, not with you expressing your opinion.
Maybe the next location will have something of interest for other builds, but maybe not. Who's to say? We aren't there yet. I'm going by the history of the game so far. And that history has shown certain characters acting freely quite regularly while others twiddle their thumbs and wait. And wait. and wait.

The archetypes suggest a degree of specialization. Early on, as we discussed builds, someone suggested that not maxing out stats was a poor choice, as it gave pretty low odds of succeeding in multiple skills as opposed to decent odds of succeeding in a few skills. And the Bore NEEDS a driver - someone with COntrol. So far, that is the only thing Control is used for, and PW has offered to take that action from us, making Control effectively a dump stat. Same with recover. it's been handwaved away, more or less. Oh, except on one of those mythical combat missions we haven't had (well, that is, everyone but Joshua hasn't had).
And for both of our missions, getting to and from the mission site has been the biggest hurdle, due to lack of drivers, lack of people with move skill, and the complete disinterest shown by builders for doing simple tasks like tying a rope to the Bore (another place in which a stat was handwaved away, though I actually agree here, as it was a simple action that shouldn't have needed a build skill roll.)

See a pattern? Either people are doing a lot of waiting, or various aspects of the mechanics are being handwaved away. both suggest flaws in the system.
I'm not saying the system can't be improved upon and be successful. I am saying that, I feel (my opinion) that as it is, it doesn't work well at all.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #634 on: March 21, 2017, 08:29:26 am »

Ok, lets put it to a vote then. Who would like me to throw a different system into Dig and who thinks we can or should keep going as is?

I'd probably throw in the crossroads system, which you can view here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7d2fzvbrksy36qy/Crossroads%20-%20Copy.pdf?dl=0

Its basic RTD with some modifications so restating would go fast.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 21, 2017, 08:35:00 am »

Wait there's a rope?!!? My char has 60 move I probably could have gone up it.

Hmm. After a readthrough of those rules that looks pretty good. Is it an actual poll or what?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 21, 2017, 08:39:19 am »

That's fair, I guess we've just had very different experiences. Perhaps there needs to be some more incentive for people to take some control skill other than things like driving the bore or the crawler (which are things that help the team but don't give that individual any real advantages). Maybe if we can tame some of these worms and let drivers use them as pets... Though that wouldn't solve any systemic problems, of course.

Spoiler: You know the drill (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 21, 2017, 11:57:24 am »

Seems more realism-driven than DIG... I think I like the crossroads system less on the whole.

While it would probably still use the tag system, I would be REALLY against Crossroads if it dropped that mechanic.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:50:13 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 21, 2017, 12:33:05 pm »

I vote for crossroads, because I like that system better. Though it would kinda ruin the point of my character...

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 21, 2017, 03:50:04 pm »

That's fair, I guess we've just had very different experiences. Perhaps there needs to be some more incentive for people to take some control skill other than things like driving the bore or the crawler (which are things that help the team but don't give that individual any real advantages). Maybe if we can tame some of these worms and let drivers use them as pets... Though that wouldn't solve any systemic problems, of course. There should be an automated charge for driving the Bore and the Crawler. I'd charge personally, but that will end up with someone else making a character, taking over the job, losing interest in two turns, going idle, and PW automating the system, further unbalancing the current system.

Spoiler: You know the drill (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #640 on: March 21, 2017, 04:56:07 pm »

Seems more realism-driven than DIG... I think I like the crossroads system less on the whole.

While it would probably still use the tag system, I would be REALLY against Crossroads if it dropped that mechanic.
No reason to remove the tag crafting. The problem people have is with the fact that DIG's system is specialization focused and not set up for the sort of general stuff most people do.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #641 on: March 21, 2017, 07:25:18 pm »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 21, 2017, 07:51:24 pm »

I voted no, because I think we're far enough in that changing the system is detrimental.

That said, I do think the specialization in Dig is a bit much, and can totally see the objections that some people have.  Nevertheless, I think this is what we've got.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 21, 2017, 11:18:35 pm »

I voted no, because I think the problem isn't necessarily with the system itself, but with the fact that so far we've only been presented with challenges that can only be solved by two skills, and only a couple people have those skills. We haven't even had a proper combat yet, the closest thing we have had was a PvP shootout that spawned out of boredom. Personally, I would drop a couple monsters out of the sky so us combat builds have something to do, if we still don't like the system, then we change it.

Spoiler: SPONGEBOB! (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 22, 2017, 03:36:47 am »

Voted no as well.  While I think DIG's current system is very flawed, and actually suggested Crossroads, I don't think going and revising the system half-cocked is a good idea.  That's what landed us with DIG's current system.  Secondly, most people are enjoying it, so requiring everyone to rebuild characters would be annoying to everyone while potentially only being helpful for a few.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 51