Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 51

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 77730 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #615 on: March 19, 2017, 08:46:08 pm »

Remote control hoverbell? Go anywhere!
Watch them crash it two turns in.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 19, 2017, 08:48:31 pm »

It'll be funny.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #617 on: March 19, 2017, 09:58:20 pm »

If Dev's aim was better we'd already have crashed the existing bell.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #618 on: March 19, 2017, 10:00:51 pm »

Out of curiosity, how are you guys feeling? I like the concepts of dig, the "Internauts" exploring underground, but do you guys feel like the system around it is working out?

I've got other ideas for stuff we could mess with while I work on Oro's combat system, though the Revolver test seems to be working alright. Any watchers of that have opinions by the way?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 19, 2017, 11:28:12 pm »

Definitely like Revolver's system better than Dig's. I kinda like Dig's setting, but the whole setup with all the players unattended on the bore can make things a little messy.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 20, 2017, 01:13:14 am »

Wait, you mean there's something the pistol can actually hurt?  ;-)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 20, 2017, 04:22:25 am »

I'm really not a big fan of Dig's system.  Most of the fun of Dig comes from hunting around and exploring, rather than straight combat, but its system isn't built for that at all.  It's a system which rewards people finding roles and playing those roles exclusively, which would work great in a squad combat game--but not an exploration game where, ideally, everyone is somewhat well-rounded and capable of surviving alone.

I think you did much better making an exploration system when you made Crossroads, which ironically seemed to be a bit more combat focused than DIG.  Crossroads made everyone have the same base skillset and abilities, but with limited and powerful boons to give them individuality and focuses.  It was also just a much simpler system, which I'd think would lend itself to a big multiplayer game.

...Why don't you run Crossroads again, just with more people?  Maybe add DIG's resource and manufacture system to it, replacing the ER-like armory?  Or, hell, take Crossroads' insanity system and use it in something, I really really love the insanity system.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 20, 2017, 08:57:15 am »

Now taking bets, how many turns until someone sends the bell back down to pick up the guys stranded on the worm mass?

I'll take that bet! I'd wager... 2 turns or less. What ya bettin', boy?

What was the big idea there anyway? Crash the only way to transport up all the heavier loot he has? All to... prove a point or something?

Out of curiosity, how are you guys feeling? I like the concepts of dig, the "Internauts" exploring underground, but do you guys feel like the system around it is working out?

I've got other ideas for stuff we could mess with while I work on Oro's combat system, though the Revolver test seems to be working alright. Any watchers of that have opinions by the way?

I think the system as it is works fine enough, simple enough not to be cumbersome but not too restrictive. Though there are some difficulties with it, as long as you're willing to waffle a little around the edges (eg not requiring move roll to descend the rope, allowing us to use a preset set of rules to pilot the bore when pilots go AFK, etc.) I think this should work out well. If nothing else, I'm having a ton of fun with it, exploring and learning about the world and slowly but surely gathering items to grow in power.

On revolver specifically, no real comments on the system, but the setting seems a little too dungeon crawly for my (personal) tastes, I prefer it if there's a little more to it than that.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:29:30 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #623 on: March 20, 2017, 10:36:58 am »

I'm really not a big fan of Dig's system.  Most of the fun of Dig comes from hunting around and exploring, rather than straight combat, but its system isn't built for that at all.  It's a system which rewards people finding roles and playing those roles exclusively, which would work great in a squad combat game--but not an exploration game where, ideally, everyone is somewhat well-rounded and capable of surviving alone.

I think you did much better making an exploration system when you made Crossroads, which ironically seemed to be a bit more combat focused than DIG.  Crossroads made everyone have the same base skillset and abilities, but with limited and powerful boons to give them individuality and focuses.  It was also just a much simpler system, which I'd think would lend itself to a big multiplayer game.

...Why don't you run Crossroads again, just with more people?  Maybe add DIG's resource and manufacture system to it, replacing the ER-like armory?  Or, hell, take Crossroads' insanity system and use it in something, I really really love the insanity system.
Fair. I'll have to go remind myself what crossroads is like...

Now taking bets, how many turns until someone sends the bell back down to pick up the guys stranded on the worm mass?

I'll take that bet! I'd wager... 2 turns or less. What ya bettin', boy?

What was the big idea there anyway? Crash the only way to transport up all the heavier loot he has? All to... prove a point or something?

I think the system as it is works fine enough, simple enough not to be cumbersome but not too restrictive. Though there are some difficulties with it, as long as you're willing to waffle a little around the edges (eg not requiring move roll to descend the rope, allowing us to use a preset set of rules to pilot the bore when pilots go AFK, etc.) I think this should work out well. If nothing else, I'm having a ton of fun with it, exploring and learning about the world and slowly but surely gathering items to grow in power.

On revolver specifically, no real comments on the system, but the setting seems a little too dungeon crawly for my (personal) tastes, I prefer it if there's a little more to it than that.
If anything what I'm gonna do is be like "Eh, fuck this system. Now we're using this system. But the general idea is still the same." The idea works, its just finding the framework that works for it.

As per Revolver, yeah, its just a crawl because its a test. The actual Idea for how to work it as a full game is to have the combat and shit remain basically unchanged but rather than having an endless dungeon, have a player base and then have players go out on missions into the world. Xcom style. Develop the base, look after the needs of the people there, build up defenses, etc. I've been talking with sy about it for a bit. Once I get the combat ironed out, I just need to set up the method of base making and development and figure out if I want the world to be connected, dark souls style, or have each mission work as a sort of "instance", unique locations you don't go back to.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 20, 2017, 07:21:25 pm »

I disagree with R_C that the system is working "fine." For him, sure, but the system as it is leaves a lot of people waiting for something to do more of ten than not. it's restrictive in that it restricts the availability of action. R_C's 'waffling around the edges' tends to make certain game mechanics (or players! he mentions doing the job of the drivers for them when they are not around) irrelevant for the sake of convenience, which suggests that the system is inconvenient, at best.

actually, I kinda like hte system, but it would be better used in one of thosegames where certain roles are dictated. Like: "Dig: a game ofr 6-10 players. here are the slots available:
Driver, builder (x2), Diver, gunner (x2) fighter (x2)."

As it is, most builds in the game feel useless and irrelevant. the game could run with an automated driver, one fighter to stand guard and kill divers, and the rest o the crew be diver/builders.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:25:36 pm by Ozarck »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #625 on: March 20, 2017, 09:50:11 pm »

Lets talk a bit about what I'm planning for Oro.

I've flip flopped around with what I was planning due to various things seeming either too difficult or just not fun for me to continue to work on. Huge simulations would be possible but cause burn out. So the game has to be focused, at least the majority of the time, on the direct player actions in the small scale. However I still wanted to have some aspect of base building and expansion and stuff, so I went around and researched systems that have that sort of thing. Closest I found was that of "No country for old Kobolds" which has a system that is...Well I'm taking ideas not that system.

The general premise is that players control the town as a group, Choosing what to do with it, what buildings to make, what to research, etc. The town will be planned out on a grid map, much like what you see in Revolver. Doing this for 2 reasons: First because limited space can force choices and specialization. Second because if we have base invasions, It will be more meaningful if its on a town map you planned. What sort of things will be researched and constructed I'll still need to thing on but standard upgrades seem a viable idea; and a way to help newbies not be underpowered on spawn.

Population will determine town level, with new inhabitants coming to join the town as it grows or if you rescue them or do certain things. This will also be the player pool you pull from for playing, so if the town population bottoms out, then no more people can get pulled. This effectively means that losing too many people delevels the village, so the ability to through endless hordes at a mission is evened out somewhat by the fact that it's a phyric victory. Part of the town management is the concept of "Needs". The town has needs, and these needs take the form of dials that slowly tick down until they are empty. It can be simple things, like water or food, or more complex things needed for a specific reason. Like, say, supplying your forges with a specific kind of metal to make that new gun. Whenever you get a new building, you get a new power or upgrade but a new need as well. People dying and other failures cause those need dials to tick downward and if they hit zero, things start going very poorly.  Threats are another dial that works similarly, but they go up as you succeed. The more of a foothold you make in the world, the more attention you draw. And attention can be very dangerous.

The game will mostly be mission based, where you are sent out with a specific goal, generally something that either refills a need or allows upgrades or lowers a threat. I still haven't figured out if I want a connected, consistent world or one made of instances. XCOM is instance style and its the easiest. It also allows for most variety because I can just do whatever. Connected means we have a set up map that you expand outward on. Its nice in that it allows for things like outposts or patroling areas or returning to places as things change and the like. But its also more difficult to set up because it requires a fair deal of forethought.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 20, 2017, 10:14:56 pm »

The instance style sounds more fun to me
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 20, 2017, 10:36:12 pm »

Nah, not really, I just didn't want to do a plain 'pass time' action, and didn't think the pistol would do anything.  A miss would be nothing serious, and I thought a hit would just bounce off.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 20, 2017, 11:08:00 pm »

In terms of town management, I have two suggestions:

1)  For "new player viability" certain building upgrades could decrease cost of basic gear (assuming there is some sort of monetary system), increase its availability, or just make it free outright.  For example, with totally made-up items:

Scrapyard:  Reduces cost of tier 1 armor by 1
Leatherworker:  Reduces costs of tier 1-3 armor by 1
Smithy:  Tier 1 armor is now free. Cost of 2-3 armor reduced by 2, tier 4 armor reduced by 1
Armorer:  Tier 1-2 armor is free.  2-4 armor reduced by 2, 5-6 reduced by 1.

And so on.

2)  Players not on missions will want to do something, but managing full actions on a regular basis is time consuming.  Therefore, every RL week, every player can choose a "pursuit" from a predefined list.  This could be gathering resources for the colony, working on building upgrades, or maybe earning credits toward training/stat ups/etc, depending on stat system used.  (A +1 to a stat in the Dig system isn't a big deal, but in ER it was quite big)  If you've already decided that non-mission players are static, then you can ignore this.

Finally, for your last question, I'd say do a hybrid.  Most missions are instanced, but occasionally throw in a scripted one that is reflected in town upgrade/management, or becomes a recurring area, or is traveled through often, or has an outpost, or other fun things.  It would allow it to be less structured without making everything a one-off event.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 20, 2017, 11:20:52 pm »

Awhile ago, around the time ER ended, PW asked people if anyone would be willing to GM the on-ship segment of his next game.  I dunno if he's still interested in that, or if the players would be interested in that, but I know both Oz and I offered to fill that role.  Maybe a couple other people who I forgot.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 51