Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 51

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 77366 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #480 on: February 16, 2017, 10:23:16 am »

well, we've build a bunch of stuff on the bore, found one interesting encounter, and spent a lot of time wandering around a seemingly sterile waterway. What are people going to do at the moment? Fire blindly at the cave walls? read underdark bedtime stories to the Deep Mites? instigate Insurrection? I imagine more will be posted when we actually can get out and check shit out, eh?
Well, fair enough. I'm basically just wondering about format changes. We'll let it roll for the moment, but I know a lot of people, given sandboxes and freedom, get bored or unsure of what to do.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 16, 2017, 10:35:04 am »

well, we've build a bunch of stuff on the bore, found one interesting encounter, and spent a lot of time wandering around a seemingly sterile waterway. What are people going to do at the moment? Fire blindly at the cave walls? read underdark bedtime stories to the Deep Mites? instigate Insurrection? I imagine more will be posted when we actually can get out and check shit out, eh?
Well, fair enough. I'm basically just wondering about format changes. We'll let it roll for the moment, but I know a lot of people, given sandboxes and freedom, get bored or unsure of what to do.

Clearly, the solution is to kick them out of the bore into the water (full of metaphorical and literal sharks) until drama unfolds itself. I'll just be here on the bridge heroically documenting everything.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 16, 2017, 03:13:49 pm »

In my case, it's not that I'm bored or unsure what to do, it's just that there's nothing productive for me to do, beyond perhaps sparring with other players for knowledge.  Sifeebt has no build, no find to research in the library, no eye disk to explore the deep sea, no interesting areas external to the bore to explore, etcetera.  He's a combat character who can't really do much beyond combat because the system penalizes versatile builds.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #483 on: February 16, 2017, 05:11:37 pm »

In my case, it's not that I'm bored or unsure what to do, it's just that there's nothing productive for me to do, beyond perhaps sparring with other players for knowledge.  Sifeebt has no build, no find to research in the library, no eye disk to explore the deep sea, no interesting areas external to the bore to explore, etcetera.  He's a combat character who can't really do much beyond combat because the system penalizes versatile builds.
HEY!

It only penalizes them if you failure and death as a penalty

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 18, 2017, 11:29:24 am »

Assuming people want to explore Tapeworm Town (it's a disgusting affront to nature, why wouldn't we) we could build a diving bell, but we could also perhaps build ourselves a little rowboat and then lower that down into the water. Or lower people down in diving suits, perhaps with a floating element to prevent them sinking down.

PW, could you maybe describe those diving suits a little? Do they float, for example?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 18, 2017, 01:08:48 pm »

How about we throw even more obstacles in teh way of people getting out of the bore and actually exploring? maybe we need to weld all external accesspoints shut and spend eleven turns inventing a special portal using only the finest of ingredients dredged from the depths of the Sea in order to ingress/egress. We could paint over that glass dome as well - not like looking out and seeing stuff is useful either. It only gets in the way of us sitting around and tinkering ad nauseum

Or ... you know ... tie a fucking rope to the Bore and make a rope ladder before beginning your metalcraft and inspection of every piece of otherwise useless equipment on the bore.

I am rapidly approaching the limits of my patience for this game.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #486 on: February 18, 2017, 01:27:05 pm »

Assuming people want to explore Tapeworm Town (it's a disgusting affront to nature, why wouldn't we) we could build a diving bell, but we could also perhaps build ourselves a little rowboat and then lower that down into the water. Or lower people down in diving suits, perhaps with a floating element to prevent them sinking down.

PW, could you maybe describe those diving suits a little? Do they float, for example?
Well you're lucky enough that the tech has advanced to the point where you're not in a canvas suit with a big brass helmet and tubes attached to the bore. Although you're not far off. You've got yourself a tank of oxygen and a rebreathing system so you're not tethered to the bore, but the actual suit itself is still pretty big and clunky, for better or worse. Its got a natural 10 armor and a big metal helmet. Not the spherical kind; imagine if you took a towel and draped it over your head, with the ends going down your back and front. Its shaped kind of like that, a sheet of steel that covers part of your chest and back before sloping up to form a helmet with a ovoid viewport and some hoses attached to your air tank. The rest of the suit is made of sturdy, insulated, water tight fabric. It won't totally isolate you from temperature changes, but it will keep you protected to a degree. Its a full body suit too, complete with boots and gloves.

As per sinking and floating, there are pockets for ballast. It naturally floats, though not terribly well. You'd float on your back, not standing up. The shoes are also weighted, so they'd naturally unbalance you.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #487 on: February 18, 2017, 01:28:22 pm »

How about we throw even more obstacles in teh way of people getting out of the bore and actually exploring? maybe we need to weld all external accesspoints shut and spend eleven turns inventing a special portal using only the finest of ingredients dredged from the depths of the Sea in order to ingress/egress. We could paint over that glass dome as well - not like looking out and seeing stuff is useful either. It only gets in the way of us sitting around and tinkering ad nauseum

Or ... you know ... tie a fucking rope to the Bore and make a rope ladder before beginning your metalcraft and inspection of every piece of otherwise useless equipment on the bore.

Yeah, thats basically what I said you could do.

Don't blame me, I just tell people possibilities, not what needs to happen.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 18, 2017, 01:31:16 pm »

I know. I made it part of my in game action to get a buildr to do that this turn, because you said it. However, the bore seems rather poorly equiped for getting people in and out in literally every situation we've encountered so far. You'd think it would have an extendable ladder built in or something.

Well you're lucky enough that the tech has advanced to the point where you're not in a canvas suit with a big brass helmet and tubes attached to the bore. Although you're not far off. You've got yourself a tank of oxygen and a rebreathing system so you're not tethered to the bore, but the actual suit itself is still pretty big and clunky, for better or worse. Its got a natural 10 armor and a big metal helmet. Not the spherical kind; imagine if you took a towel and draped it over your head, with the ends going down your back and front. Its shaped kind of like that, a sheet of steel that covers part of your chest and back before sloping up to form a helmet with a ovoid viewport and some hoses attached to your air tank. The rest of the suit is made of sturdy, insulated, water tight fabric. It won't totally isolate you from temperature changes, but it will keep you protected to a degree. Its a full body suit too, complete with boots and gloves.

As per sinking and floating, there are pockets for ballast. It naturally floats, though not terribly well. You'd float on your back, not standing up. The shoes are also weighted, so they'd naturally unbalance you.
fuck it. i'm grabbing one of those and diving.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #489 on: February 18, 2017, 01:44:56 pm »

I know. I made it part of my in game action to get a buildr to do that this turn, because you said it. However, the bore seems rather poorly equiped for getting people in and out in literally every situation we've encountered so far. You'd think it would have an extendable ladder built in or something.

fuck it. i'm grabbing one of those and diving.
Ladder? No. Rope? Yes.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 18, 2017, 02:29:36 pm »

Which we can't even tie onto the Bore safely without a respectable build score.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #491 on: February 18, 2017, 02:38:27 pm »

I'll probably let that one go. Instead it will be a move score for climbing down it.

You should also stop making new characters to cover your weaknesses. The point of people being good at things or bad at things is instilling teamwork.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 02:41:36 pm by piecewise »

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 18, 2017, 02:41:30 pm »

I'll probably let that one go. Instead it will be a move score for climbing down it.
Maybe we could be a little lax with simple actions, like climbing a rope. You can't really progress in any meaningful way without climbing a rope, so maybe you should just let people climb down a rope without rolling, especialy when it's the only way to progress in the game.

If we are trying to climb a rope as fast as we can, to escape some horrible monster, then we can roll.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 02:50:44 pm by The Lupanian »
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #493 on: February 18, 2017, 03:01:49 pm »

Maybe we could be a little lax with simple actions, like climbing a rope. You can't really progress in any meaningful way without climbing a rope, so maybe you should just let people climb down a rope without rolling, especialy when it's the only way to progress in the game.

If we are trying to climb a rope as fast as we can, to escape some horrible monster, then we can roll.
Fair

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 18, 2017, 03:15:02 pm »

You should also stop making new characters to cover your weaknesses. The point of people being good at things or bad at things is instilling teamwork.

As much as I'd love to do that, I don't think relying on other people in combat is good for your health in a piecewise game.

Actually, all I have made is a fighter and two utilities. The first utility (driver) was because we had the choice thrust upon us: let PW drive, make control useless by programming the Bore to autodrive, or get a functional driver. I recall a mission in ER getting scrubbed because only the pilots could do anything interesting. I'm just trying to use the mechanics of the game to prevent that same scenario.

Heck, had Egan actually posted a sheet, and tried to drive the Bore into the Ocean, Legs would not have resisted. Better a total party kill than endless "nothing yet. Maybe the builders can make something for you, eventually."

the second utility (Mr. Handyman) is primarily for unclogging toilets, tying knots, and lighting fires. He has stab ability simply to keep the "team" (aka sheetless wonders) from committing the same mistake a second time in a row, since the "so-called teammates" are more interested in long term, complicated projects than in getting us out and about.

I know this last bit is unfair to you R_C. You've listened to my suggestions before. I'm just frustrated every time this game updates and the results are basically "nope, still stuck a hundred feet in the air."
Edit: aaaaand now Pancaek is off on the diving bell sidequest, too. amke us a simple ladder guys. Damnfuckpiss, yo.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 03:16:40 pm by Ozarck »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 51