Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 51

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 77391 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #465 on: February 12, 2017, 03:51:10 pm »

So do you guys wanna retain your autonomy or should I start driving you around?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 12, 2017, 04:06:48 pm »

We can handle it ourselves I think, the problem is really just that of inactive drivers. A sort of autopilot could help with this (that perhaps requires a build roll to keep the option of failure open). Or letting me create that control-oriented corpse I alluded to in the past (requiring statpoints to be shifted around). Or letting Ozarck play the phantom driver he just whipped up.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 12, 2017, 04:12:34 pm »

Driver/Navigator/Medic, yo!

Hell, if necessary, I'll semi-retire Nameless for it.

or just alternate active cycles - Nameless when an active mission is on, Legs when we need to go go go.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #468 on: February 12, 2017, 05:24:02 pm »

Alternatively, we do this; You use drive to configure the brain of the machine to do what you want and send it to act as you want.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 12, 2017, 05:34:18 pm »

Alternatively, we do this; You use drive to configure the brain of the machine to do what you want and send it to act as you want.
Perhaps I misunderstand what you're proposing here, but isn't this the way it currently works? That a player needs to use drive (aka control, I assume) to direct the machine where to go? Or do you mean it more that we give it a set of instructions once so that the drivers don't need to micromanage it?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #470 on: February 12, 2017, 06:43:30 pm »

Perhaps I misunderstand what you're proposing here, but isn't this the way it currently works? That a player needs to use drive (aka control, I assume) to direct the machine where to go? Or do you mean it more that we give it a set of instructions once so that the drivers don't need to micromanage it?
More like allowing drivers to set up an if-than series of commands that allows the machine to be somewhat programmed and then controlled by anyone who can talk to the brain.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 13, 2017, 04:02:05 am »

More like allowing drivers to set up an if-than series of commands that allows the machine to be somewhat programmed and then controlled by anyone who can talk to the brain.

I see convoluted nested if-then data structures in your future...

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #472 on: February 13, 2017, 10:58:24 am »

I see convoluted nested if-then data structures in your future...
So long as people set it up in a flow chart, I'll be fine.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 13, 2017, 11:02:16 am »

I'm good with driving the Bore for now.

I suppose i could set up a flow chart of some complexity though.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 15, 2017, 06:38:57 pm »

Three things: One we are suspended directly over a giant cavern full of ocean right now, and not over the river at all. it's a sixty foot drop to the water.

Two: going directly up would require us to invert the Bore and dig upside down. PW has already said that digging directly sideways would make life challenging for the on the Bore, so, while i don't mind doing so, nothing of interest would get done while drilling.

Three: There is no three. I can't tell left from right sometimes.

Hey PW, I think you missed a square that we passed through - the one up-left from where we currently dangle over the Abyss. it's still marked black, but should be white?

I could take us up-left, up-left, up, up (which puts us at our starting square), down-right down-right, down-right, down-right (which will put us two squares to our right).
Or, to get to the same place, I can simply put us on our side, and go right, right.

Yeah, I messed up the directions somehow. The basic recommendation still stands though: exploring the water (be it river or large underground lake) until we find something interesting or we find it's 'end' (which... would be the surface I guess? Or the outside ocean?)

Seeing as how most people aren't really doing a lot, you could go sideways for all I care, to speed exploration up a little. Just be sure you give us the chance to strap down first!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 15, 2017, 06:48:46 pm »

That's my inclination, I think. Bore directly right, peeking into the cavern occasionally until we find something. Like yu said, nobody is really doing anything, and it wold be the quickest way to get us someplace interesting except maybe going back to the start and boring down left (like someone suggested the first time :P )

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #476 on: February 15, 2017, 07:01:42 pm »

The lack of posting worries me.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 15, 2017, 07:23:05 pm »

well, we've build a bunch of stuff on the bore, found one interesting encounter, and spent a lot of time wandering around a seemingly sterile waterway. What are people going to do at the moment? Fire blindly at the cave walls? read underdark bedtime stories to the Deep Mites? instigate Insurrection? I imagine more will be posted when we actually can get out and check shit out, eh?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 16, 2017, 12:40:06 am »

I could jump out again.

Or start throwing other people out.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:46:36 am by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 16, 2017, 09:18:59 am »

I could jump out again.

Or start throwing other people out.

One potentially cool idea to explore this lake is to tie people to the bore with a piece of very long rope and let them jump out and swim around. We'd let the builders tie the rope this time though. I think we have a couple of diving suits sitting around for people to wear. This would let a couple of people explore without just sitting in a crawler waiting.

(The rope might not even be really necessary depending on whether those suits can be used to swim, or if they're so heavy you'll get stuck on the lake floor.)

EDIT: hey we really do have dive suits in storage, it isn't just my imagination:
There's a few radios in storage, I think, and the dive suits in the airlock have radios. But they're not gonna work at any real range in the underground, especially if you put rock between each other.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:20:56 am by Radio Controlled »

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 51