Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 51

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 77403 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #405 on: February 03, 2017, 04:14:53 pm »

Once we dissect it I don't think we can get a good body back, and looking at the rather high damage that gets dissed out... Either way, I'm fine with whatever, you guys are actually at the body. Just remember the opportunity costs!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 03, 2017, 05:03:59 pm »

I've asked pw in pm what he thought about setting up a (new) wiki for Dig, and he thought it could be a good idea to start that up. When Aoshi brought it up a while ago he mentioned he likes the wikia system, and I rather do as well. If I end up making the wiki that'll  probably be what I use, but if anyone else would like to create the wiki using some other system (such as actual wiki software on a server) that'd be fine by me as well, but in that case said person would be responsible for maintaining it.

So, any thoughts on this? PW indicated that we'll still have to post our sheets, but it can still be handy for things like tag recipes or what materials get what tags (so we can avoid asking the same thing a million times or having to use the forum's search function, which is less than stellar IMO). Also things like chronicling our misadventures or documenting game mechanics that aren't in the rules (such as the overkill rule).

FAKEDIT: When I mentioned it in irc, some comments already came up, such as Egan hating on wikia because it's laggy for him, and some people who think a google docs might be better.

I personally like wikia cause it works good for me and I know how to work with it, but there are several other free wiki options out there: http://www.techlearning.com/default.aspx?tabid=100&entryid=583
Wikidot was mentioned as a good service that works nicely, but I have no experience with it.

I don't think 1/multiple google docs files would be very convenient, and since Egan didn't really come up with an alternative, I'm personally still in favor of wikia. But, if there's any other free online wiki service that doesn't require a personal server that people have had good encounters with, feel free to let us know.

So, thoughts/opinions?

Oh,and we're still discussing it in the chat as we speak so feel free to hop on over!
http://widget01.mibbit.com/?settings=d4a2e2317b84e8897df0b736464a8ee4&server=mibbit.darkmyst.org&channel=%23einsteinianroulette

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 03, 2017, 10:19:47 pm »

Let me know what the modus operandi is, I'd love to offer assistance because I"m going to be analyzing literally everything.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 04, 2017, 03:15:08 pm »

How do the healing mechanics work again?

((I can contribute to the wiki, although I'd like out of game bribes in return.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 04, 2017, 03:29:34 pm »

How do the healing mechanics work again?

((I can contribute to the wiki, although I'd like out of game bribes in return.))
Roll recover, if you succeed you get as much mind and body back as you succeed by. Otherwise you need to use medkits, which need to be build. Dunno if you can regain body with a straight build roll.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 04, 2017, 04:38:09 pm »

Also, a failed roll to recover means your max body or mind points are lowered until you return to the bore or someplace.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 04, 2017, 05:11:53 pm »

Due to the lack of responses and the fact that egan didn't actually come up with an alternative, I've decided to just roll with it and go for wikia. If it turns out to be too unworkable for too many people we can still port it over later on to something else, but for now I didn't feel like experimenting with a new system if there isn't a large demand for it (sorry Egan, you'll just have to install that adblocker after all).

So, here it is, in all its barebones glory: http://dig.wikia.com/wiki/Dig_Wiki
It's very barren right now, but that's where you come in! Wikia makes editing pretty easy, and you don't necessarily even need an account. Logging in however allows wikia to remember your edits and hand out badges! Glorious, glorious badges!

Remember, for the time being we'll still have to keep posting sheets together with actions, but even then you could use your character pages for things like your complete inventory, a larger background story or whatever else you want really.

So, don't dread it, but start to edit! I regret nothing.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 04, 2017, 05:15:30 pm »

Good work, I assume. Now get over to omega legion and stat a wiki there :P

((kidding. the idea of a wiki has been downvoted at least three times so far in that game.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 04, 2017, 05:17:23 pm »

Good work, I assume. Now get over to omega legion and stat a wiki there :P

((kidding. the idea of a wiki has been downvoted at least three times so far in that game.))

Did people give a specific reason they didn't want one? Like, it can only help right?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 04, 2017, 05:46:28 pm »

They felt each time that it was either too early, or not complicated enough to need one. They felt that it would be rather useless overall, I think.

Edit: I put in a list of characters. I believe it is basically accurate to date. I haven't checked the ooc thread for stragglers though.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 04, 2017, 06:02:27 pm »

OL is a fair bit more freeform than ER and Dig, plus it doesn't have any of the more complex systems like Tinker or even an armory.  Lists don't really matter for the game, so the only bookkeeping that needs to be done is character sheets, and those are handled by players in a specific thread.  The only real use for a wiki would be story fluff and more concise game history, which means a wiki would be quite sparse and underused.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 04, 2017, 06:06:12 pm »

OL is a fair bit more freeform than ER and Dig, plus it doesn't have any of the more complex systems like Tinker or even an armory.  Lists don't really matter for the game, so the only bookkeeping that needs to be done is character sheets, and those are handled by players in a specific thread.  The only real use for a wiki would be story fluff and more concise game history, which means a wiki would be quite sparse and underused.
Well, a wiki could increase the ability of teh GM to track items, locations, and npcs, making it possible for the complexity of the system to evolve.

Plus, several of the magic systems (alchemy in particular, but also Runic and ritual magic) are pretty complicated, and have largely been abandoned as a result.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 04, 2017, 06:35:26 pm »

Well, a wiki could increase the ability of teh GM to track items, locations, and npcs, making it possible for the complexity of the system to evolve.

Plus, several of the magic systems (alchemy in particular, but also Runic and ritual magic) are pretty complicated, and have largely been abandoned as a result.

Yeah, its allows, basically, a reference document to be handled in a manner that allows specifics to arise out of clarification of ambiguities in the game itself, making it easier on the GM to be like, "no it doesn't work that way" or "Yeah, that's fine" based on (in this case) their previous rulings.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 04, 2017, 07:39:27 pm »

It would also prevent any secret actions and diminish opposition, as the GM would become increasingly dependant on public-only sources.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:48:56 pm by Devastator »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 04, 2017, 08:19:53 pm »

It would also prevent any secret actions and diminish opposition, as the GM would become increasingly dependant on public-only sources.

Bruh, that's like complaining that DnD has a Dungeon Master's Guide published. Like, "Oh no, the players understand the mechanics behind the scenes how can I do anything secretly?"

You get secret actions by secretly rolling or talking with the GM secretly.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 51