Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 51

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 77329 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #315 on: January 25, 2017, 11:15:23 am »

Recipes in main thread, ooc, where? Where do we ask?

In addition to that, just so that I'm sure I understand correctly, you now need only said recipes to build something right? No more knowledge?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #316 on: January 25, 2017, 12:48:09 pm »

Either, really.

In addition to that, just so that I'm sure I understand correctly, you now need only said recipes to build something right? No more knowledge?
Yep, as long as you have the stuff, you can make it. The rarity of items restrains where knowledge once did.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 25, 2017, 12:57:02 pm »

Recipe Request

Right, suppose I want eye enhancements, preferably connected to my brain/ operated without using up my hands, that can zoom/magnify up to 5x, see in darkness as well as a developed nocturnal mammal, have enhanced protection against weaponised violent flashes/changes in light intensity, and are just really good at spotting things, on the whole. And they've got to be green. What materials do I need?

Might as well set a format precedent for recipe requests.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 01:11:24 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 25, 2017, 01:00:36 pm »

Recipe Request

How much for retractable roller-skates that give a boost to cover (from moving around), and a penalty to blast (from moving around)?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 02:04:14 pm by Devastator »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 25, 2017, 01:43:25 pm »

Recipe Request

Right, suppose I want eye enhancements, preferably connected to my brain/ operated without using up my hands, that can zoom/magnify up to 5x, see in darkness as well as a developed nocturnal mammal, have enhanced protection against weaponised violent flashes/changes in light intensity, and are just really good at spotting things, on the whole. And they've got to be green. What materials do I need?

So, you want cameyes :P

Recipe request

How can I make a TF 2 sentry? Semi-autonomous, repairable, deployable gunturret?

Also,

Field trauma kits for both organics and synthetics
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 01:56:48 pm by Gentlefish »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 25, 2017, 01:54:24 pm »

Recipe request:
Grenades (last time I asked they came in a box of 20)
Booby trap explosives
Repair kit/medkit
Rifle scope
Belt fed machine gun
Antitank rifle

Stabilizer
Magnetic Globe
Souljar
Enhancement Wire

I know it's a lot at once, but we might as well get these out of the way. I'm sure there are a few that will interest other people as well.

-Edit-: Also, I changed up my char sheet, shifted points from build to find because of the new system we'll be using. I hope that's okay, since we haven't gone on mission yet.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:55:55 pm by Pancaek »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 25, 2017, 03:08:19 pm »

OK we're gonna give tags a try. If they suck, we'll just do builder food stamps.

All people building, your work is now finished, you get the thing you were working on for free.

From now on if you wanna make something, tell me what you want to make and I'll give you a recipe, and you'll try to find items that fit it. Keep in mind that I'm not gonna sit around and tag every possible item we come across, so instead what you wanna do is look for items that seem like they might fit the bill and examine them to see if they do.
No negotiating on recipes.
And just in time too! At least we can say we still earned our suit (kinda. Sorta.)

I do have some questions though:
1) Can I keep the 15 knowledge I had towards a depth drive and put it into something else?
2) Examining things to find out what tags they have, does that need a roll, and if yes what do you roll for it?
3) Now that materials gathering isn't assumed to be abstracted through gathering knowledge anymore, and anything you wanna build will require finding parts, does that mean having some find will be absolutely necessary? Or can we assume that like with Dev's pebble case, if something should be very obviously there that we'll have access to it? Or will Find just be needed to find 'the good stuff' as opposed to 'anything at all'?

What would one need to build the following:
1) depth drive
2) mantra of lesser truths
3) 'medkit' for replenishing mindpoints (booze?)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #322 on: January 25, 2017, 05:49:47 pm »

Recipe Request

Alright lets see.
We're gonna assume you're modifying your eyes not building new ones. Because new ones are harder.  Zoom and magnify multiple times as part of an organic system is either gonna need Organic 6 or mechanical 5.  Either works. Flash protection will need sensing 2, transmitting 3,  and structural...2 should work.  Green would need marking...lets call it 3 so it doesn't come off in your eyes, and better spotting, I assume that means you want to have a boost to find right?

Thats where we get into problems. The current thing would be a boost of like +3. Because find is only partially connected to how good your eyes are, a lot of it is mental. Boosting the mental means we start mixing in Deep and Weird. And their levels go up drastically depending on the boost.

Recipe Request

How much for retractable roller-skates that give a boost to cover (from moving around), and a penalty to blast (from moving around)?
The way you're describing it, that would actually just be letting you use Control to dodge shots rather than Blast.

Recipe Request

So, you want cameyes :P

Recipe request

How can I make a TF 2 sentry? Semi-autonomous, repairable, deployable gunturret?

Also,

Field trauma kits for both organics and synthetics

Every word there bumps up the difficulty you know. First, how big a gun we talking in terms of damage? Choose one of our listed ones and we'll use that as the gun part of the gun.  Repairable is...well everything can be repaired but it might need more than hitting it with a wrench. Self-repairing is much more complex. Semi-autonomous is gonna need intelligent of at least a low level. You could probably squeak by with an Int-2 but it might have some nasty friendly fire problems. Higher the better really. Well...maybe not too high. Skynet and so forth.  Deployable...well that depends on how small it needs to be. Smaller means higher Mechanics.

Trauma kits would  probably be like restorative 2-3 and Organic ones would have organic 2, mechanical would have mechanical 2.

Recipe request:
Grenades (last time I asked they came in a box of 20)
Booby trap explosives
Repair kit/medkit
Rifle scope
Belt fed machine gun
Antitank rifle

Stabilizer
Magnetic Globe
Souljar
Enhancement Wire

I know it's a lot at once, but we might as well get these out of the way. I'm sure there are a few that will interest other people as well.
Grenades are gonna be like Structure 3, Explosive 2 at least, Mechanical 1.  Which means like a metal can, something with a relatively big boom and a fuse.  Only makes one but its fairly simple materials.

Booby trap explosive is gonna be the same but with a sensing 1 and transmitting 1.

Repair med kit ALREADY COVERED

Rifle scope is gonna be structural 3 and Mechanical 3, transmitting 2.

Belt fed machine gun will be structural, Mechanical, projectile and explosive, the exact numbers depending on power.

Anti-tank rifle would need mostly the same but pretty high numbers. Like Structural 5, Projectile 5,  Explosive 5,  Mechanical 2.

I don't have the stuff in front of me right now but for all the living engines it's mostly all gonna be mechanical, organic, weird and deep. The big holding point will be those weirld and deep parts, so focus on grabbing some shit from the deep and anything weird. At least stuff from levels 3-4 first.

OK we're gonna give tags a try. If they suck, we'll just do builder food stamps.

All people building, your work is now finished, you get the thing you were working on for free.

From now on if you wanna make something, tell me what you want to make and I'll give you a recipe, and you'll try to find items that fit it. Keep in mind that I'm not gonna sit around and tag every possible item we come across, so instead what you wanna do is look for items that seem like they might fit the bill and examine them to see if they do.
No negotiating on recipes.
And just in time too! At least we can say we still earned our suit (kinda. Sorta.)

I do have some questions though:
1) Can I keep the 15 knowledge I had towards a depth drive and put it into something else?
2) Examining things to find out what tags they have, does that need a roll, and if yes what do you roll for it?
3) Now that materials gathering isn't assumed to be abstracted through gathering knowledge anymore, and anything you wanna build will require finding parts, does that mean having some find will be absolutely necessary? Or can we assume that like with Dev's pebble case, if something should be very obviously there that we'll have access to it? Or will Find just be needed to find 'the good stuff' as opposed to 'anything at all'?
What would one need to build the following:
1) depth drive
2) mantra of lesser truths
3) 'medkit' for replenishing mindpoints (booze?)
Sure

Depends. Somethings should be obvious to you as a player after a while, but if you get some alien booger and you don't know what the fuck it does, then FIND is the roll thats made.

Really that depends highly on you and other things. Like, dev found a pebble because he's in a fucking rock cave. There's a point at which rolls would be stupid to do.  But in general you'll have access to some basic materials in the Bore. Structural 3 is like steel, so thats fairly obvious. But like Organic 2? Thats blood or something like it, so its around but a bit harder to get. And Weird or Deep 1? Thats harder.

See radio for depth drive,
Mantra is found or gifted
Mind Medkit...Probably...Shit I have to add a new tag I knew I forgot. "Chemical". It would be chemical and organic, with levels connected to how much it restores. 

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 25, 2017, 06:06:54 pm »

Okay, I'll see what I can do to make a more specific example for muh sentry, and mitigating factors for the friendly fire issue. But now I know what sort of materials I need to be looking for, thank you.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 25, 2017, 06:27:39 pm »

So, structural 1 and 2 are essentially useless, eh?  Everything described needed at least Structural 3.

I'm sorry, but this strikes me as just a horrible idea all round.  Tinker is pain... so you're making Tinker again?  Even if the system weren't clearly designed for it, there's gonna be a lot of "Oh, can I use X instead of Y here, to get Z bonus/penalty?".  Unless there's no difference between using elastic 3 (rubber) for your magazine and using elastic 3 (skin).
No, they're not useful for building a gun. Do you build a gun out of paper?  Or plastic? If someone wanted to make a book they would need

Sure, I get that you need structural 3 for a gun, but what about a finger?  Or a magazine?  It would be impossible to make an artificial bone finger?  Or a hardwood magazine?  Out of all the items you've described so far, you've said Structural 3 is required, except for an artificial eye which needed only two.  That's somewhat fair, since stone is fairly decent structurally and should be practically infinite for us, but still.  I feel like a system where you have to balance costs for everything players want to build will cause problems.

I digress , though.  How about some recipes?

Soldier's Suit

Havel's set, or any other sort of hilariously impractical stone armor

A club

A really big club

A robot body with a Body of 100

A robot body with a Body of 21

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 25, 2017, 07:11:06 pm »

A very, very heavy and durable tower shield.
An organic replacement limb, covered in muscle and spikes.
White hot metal club.
Metal club that bends and changes shape as you swing it, like a whip.
Microwave amp.
Rifle designed to be shot underwater.
That silly bola gun that got left behind on mission 3.
Electric head!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #326 on: January 25, 2017, 08:59:12 pm »

So, structural 1 and 2 are essentially useless, eh?  Everything described needed at least Structural 3.

I'm sorry, but this strikes me as just a horrible idea all round.  Tinker is pain... so you're making Tinker again?  Even if the system weren't clearly designed for it, there's gonna be a lot of "Oh, can I use X instead of Y here, to get Z bonus/penalty?".  Unless there's no difference between using elastic 3 (rubber) for your magazine and using elastic 3 (skin).
No, they're not useful for building a gun. Do you build a gun out of paper?  Or plastic? If someone wanted to make a book they would need

Sure, I get that you need structural 3 for a gun, but what about a finger?  Or a magazine?  It would be impossible to make an artificial bone finger?  Or a hardwood magazine?  Out of all the items you've described so far, you've said Structural 3 is required, except for an artificial eye which needed only two.  That's somewhat fair, since stone is fairly decent structurally and should be practically infinite for us, but still.  I feel like a system where you have to balance costs for everything players want to build will cause problems.

I digress , though.  How about some recipes?

Soldier's Suit

Havel's set, or any other sort of hilariously impractical stone armor

A club

A really big club

A robot body with a Body of 100

A robot body with a Body of 21

The finger I envisioned was a robotic mechanical one with a blade. An artificial bone finger is totally possible too. That would be structural 2.  A hard wood magazine is possible too.   I see what you're saying with the balancing thing, but I think the important part is not restraining access to low quality or even medium quality stuff. Its the high power stuff that would unbalance things and the parts for those are rare.

Soldier's suit would probably be, say it with me now, structural 3. But it would have to be structural 3-Protective 2 on the same material, and you'd need 4 of them. Which could be done by turning steel to plates. Then some flexible 2 for cloth, elastic 1 for padding, and sticky 2 for putting them all together.

Havel's set would need structural 3-Heavy 3-protective 4 on a single material and several of that material. Lighter and more protective than normal stone. Then similar additional requirements for padding, maybe with some 2 flex and 2 elastic instead of 1 each.

Club? Well, you could get away with just Structural 2. Piece of wood. Or rolled up leather. Or bone. Of course if you found something that also had Heavy ratings above 5, that would increase the damage.

Same, but you'd need more of them. And probably some sticky 3-4 depending on the size and what its made of.

Both robot bodies will have the same setups, the body will be based on the roll of the builder. And are we talking full robot or robocop style? Robocop would be easier but more vulnerable than full robo.

A very, very heavy and durable tower shield.
An organic replacement limb, covered in muscle and spikes.
White hot metal club.
Metal club that bends and changes shape as you swing it, like a whip.
Microwave amp.
Rifle designed to be shot underwater.
That silly bola gun that got left behind on mission 3.
Electric head!
Does it have to be heavy? Or are you just saying "Put a 4 inch thick steel plate on a handle"?
Organic eh? Organic 4(2), Sharp 2-Structural 3. Ie, cut off an arm and stick spikes on that fucker.
Depends on how you wanna do it. You want something that uses fuel to warm up to white hot or something that is always white hot?
Structural 4, Weird 4, Elastic 3, Chemical 5
hmmmm....Thats gonna be a living engine so. Deep 4 at least, weird 5, Mechanical 7 for direct brain interface.
I'm not sure how that differs from a normal one?
Heavy 10~
Fuck, thats a lot. I'd have to get back to you on the full recipe but just know that you're looking at like 10 mechanical 5s, Transmitting 3 and 4, sensing 3s, structural-protectives, and a variety of other things depending on armament plus some weird and deeps of low levels.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 25, 2017, 10:16:03 pm »

since bullets basically shatter when fired into water, a rifle designed to be fired underwater wold basically need a modified ammo, like tiny darts or something.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 26, 2017, 12:02:46 am »

Recipe Request

The way you're describing it, that would actually just be letting you use Control to dodge shots rather than Blast.

Hmm, not useful for me, then.  I'll think about things.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #329 on: January 26, 2017, 12:09:05 am »

since bullets basically shatter when fired into water, a rifle designed to be fired underwater wold basically need a modified ammo, like tiny darts or something.
Harpoon gun?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 51