Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 51

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 77340 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #300 on: January 24, 2017, 05:38:50 am »

HEY!
You guys, give me ideas for stuff you wanna build. It helps me think.

Well, for starters, lots of things that are already (more or less) in the standard equipment list. Such as various depth drives and mantras. And maybe even one of those weapons you have to pull from the deep sea.

For items that are not in the list, stuff from grenades (frag, smoke, flashbang, etc.) to medkits (body and mind) to deployable shields.

What I'd personally would really like to 'build' though are body modifications. Mostly for things I reanimate. So that instead of getting something with the same number in every stat I could shift the points around in a way that makes sense given the form of the body. Eg. If we find a small mammal (like a dog) I'd supersize its sensory organs and give it steel claws and jaws, giving a minion with high find, fight and move. Or take a corpse of a human, give it multiple mechadendrites and an inspector Gadget-style unfoldable toolbox to create a build-oriented creature for maintenance or field repairs.

Also, building or modding vehicles is always cool. Such as placing a big honking autocannon on top of the crawler, building a motorized palanquin to laze about as the psychic bullshit starts or small cyborgs controlled by the brains of the reanimated (potentially overlaps with body modding).

Oh, and making some changes to our bore, such as cannon upgrades, blast shields that can be controlled from the bridge, turning the sanctuary into a reinforced panic/containment room (depending on how well the dive is going) and more.

One thing that might be nice about this system is that it'll allow for more inter-player economy if they can barter with build items. And if you want a piece of kit but don't have any build, you could still gather/pay for the materials yourself and then pay/convince/threaten a builder into making it for you. (Might need some form of fiat money to make it a bit easier though.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 24, 2017, 09:48:48 am »

I don't have anything specific in mind, though consumables like grenades and medkits are fairly high on my list, because I like having them on hand but then never actually using them because "I might need them more later on".

It would be cool if weapons/armour/upgrades could get extra propreties when using rare/weird materials. Get some kind of monster hunter thing going.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 24, 2017, 11:37:42 am »

So because Radio Controled is the only person responding to me on the radio, and he specifically said he was running to the bridge to pass along information. In my head I imagine that they messed up the wiring, so instead of going to the main comms, the Crawler's radio transmits to some random pay phone near the workshop, and RC just happened to be nearby when it started ringing, so he picked it up, but was so shocked by what I was saying that he didn't have time to even think about how strange it is.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:41:43 am by The Lupanian »
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 24, 2017, 12:03:58 pm »

This way you get to play telephone with your telephone.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #304 on: January 24, 2017, 05:39:56 pm »

Bore cannon autoloader.
Depends on how its described to work, but if it just acts like a giant magazine with a spring and reserve of rounds, probably something like Mechanical 3 for the mechanism and Elastic 4 for the spring with some structural 3 in there too.

I'd like to get some kinda non-renewable consumable booster.  (it was the goal with my last knowledge order)
Booster as in rocket or as in steroid?

A big old wind-up key that you can stick into corpses and wind them up to become your minions.
Structural 3, Mechanical 2, Deep 1, Containing 3.  You can swap out Deep 1-10 to get better animating effects.

Also, is it still a thing to require a transcendance or build roll to get an ability?

Also: A hat that you can pull small objects and creatures from.
I'm not sure what you mean.

Magically or just a container for small animals shaped like a hat?

A replacement finger with a retractable razorblade
Structural 3-Sharp at least 4 on the razor, and Structural 3, Mechanical 1 for the finger if you just want it to be a normal prosthetic. If you want it to flex and act like a real finger, that requires higher mechanical ratings and probably Weird 1, sensing 2.   And elastic 3 for skin, if such is desired.

Really accurate sniper rifle
Flaming claws
Gatling gun
Mortar
Pogo stick

Most guns are gonna have some mix of structural 3 or higher, explosive of probably 3-4, higher for cannons and such, low-level mechanical systems and projectile of varying degrees. A sniper rifle would probably have various other things such as 2-3 level transmitting for optics and smooth. Boost any of those levels as needed, such as mechanical for gatling guns and explosive and structural for mortars.

Pogo stick is structural 3 and elastic in the 4 range.

HEY!
You guys, give me ideas for stuff you wanna build. It helps me think.

Well, for starters, lots of things that are already (more or less) in the standard equipment list. Such as various depth drives and mantras. And maybe even one of those weapons you have to pull from the deep sea.

For items that are not in the list, stuff from grenades (frag, smoke, flashbang, etc.) to medkits (body and mind) to deployable shields.

What I'd personally would really like to 'build' though are body modifications. Mostly for things I reanimate. So that instead of getting something with the same number in every stat I could shift the points around in a way that makes sense given the form of the body. Eg. If we find a small mammal (like a dog) I'd supersize its sensory organs and give it steel claws and jaws, giving a minion with high find, fight and move. Or take a corpse of a human, give it multiple mechadendrites and an inspector Gadget-style unfoldable toolbox to create a build-oriented creature for maintenance or field repairs.

Also, building or modding vehicles is always cool. Such as placing a big honking autocannon on top of the crawler, building a motorized palanquin to laze about as the psychic bullshit starts or small cyborgs controlled by the brains of the reanimated (potentially overlaps with body modding).

Oh, and making some changes to our bore, such as cannon upgrades, blast shields that can be controlled from the bridge, turning the sanctuary into a reinforced panic/containment room (depending on how well the dive is going) and more.

One thing that might be nice about this system is that it'll allow for more inter-player economy if they can barter with build items. And if you want a piece of kit but don't have any build, you could still gather/pay for the materials yourself and then pay/convince/threaten a builder into making it for you. (Might need some form of fiat money to make it a bit easier though.

A lot of depth drives and such will be varying mechanical levels with other stuff thrown in, especially Weird and Deep. Basically any body mods are gonna have Mechanical, Organic, weird, and deep in them. Mechanical and organic for obvious reasons, Weird and Deep because smearing some eldrich onto a machine makes it work, right?

Building vehicles would be more a deal of getting lots of relatively low level parts rather than getting a few high level ones. A car is not mechanical 10. Its more like 10 mechanical 3s.

Here's the list of tags
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1meK-H_XwZ5pQg-PbUJFLEFaDfh_BewuF_7RmGV6NEl4/edit?usp=sharing

As you can probably tell, it's rare for an object to only have one tag. A box of lead balls is good as both projectile and Heavy for instance. The idea is finding objects that have the tags you need, and it should be fairly obvious after a while for most things. You can also manipulate some of the tags and use some tags interchangibly with slightly different outcomes.

For instance, one thing I didn't talk about is the flaming claws from NJW. That could use either something with a high Temperature number, which would be rare but makes the claws last forever. But something flammable could also be used, which would make them work just the same BUT they'd have ammo because the fuel would get used up.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 24, 2017, 06:11:32 pm »

You might want to change Heavy to Weight, which would work the same way as Temperature, with 5 being normal, lower numbers being a lighter material, higher numbers being heavier. This way you can require materials that are lightweight, like if you wanted to build a hang glider or something.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 24, 2017, 06:16:30 pm »

All this talk about crafting and materials is giving me Fallout 4 shaped nightmares
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #307 on: January 24, 2017, 07:07:19 pm »

You might want to change Heavy to Weight, which would work the same way as Temperature, with 5 being normal, lower numbers being a lighter material, higher numbers being heavier. This way you can require materials that are lightweight, like if you wanted to build a hang glider or something.
A good idea except that temp has a norm, ie room temp, but weight doesn't. Instead I modified the definition.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 24, 2017, 09:21:23 pm »

So, structural 1 and 2 are essentially useless, eh?  Everything described needed at least Structural 3.

I'm sorry, but this strikes me as just a horrible idea all round.  Tinker is pain... so you're making Tinker again?  Even if the system weren't clearly designed for it, there's gonna be a lot of "Oh, can I use X instead of Y here, to get Z bonus/penalty?".  Unless there's no difference between using elastic 3 (rubber) for your magazine and using elastic 3 (skin).

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 24, 2017, 09:34:48 pm »

Okay. While digging, the driver has a necessary role, and builders have time to build while the rest of us faff about.
While on mission but submerged in a frikken underground river, The driver has a necessary role, the robot can act if it chooses (and possibly so can Nameless[being a corpse], but why would he?) and builders continue to build.

I am detecting a flaw in gameflow.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #310 on: January 24, 2017, 09:47:01 pm »

So, structural 1 and 2 are essentially useless, eh?  Everything described needed at least Structural 3.

I'm sorry, but this strikes me as just a horrible idea all round.  Tinker is pain... so you're making Tinker again?  Even if the system weren't clearly designed for it, there's gonna be a lot of "Oh, can I use X instead of Y here, to get Z bonus/penalty?".  Unless there's no difference between using elastic 3 (rubber) for your magazine and using elastic 3 (skin).
No, they're not useful for building a gun. Do you build a gun out of paper?  Or plastic? If someone wanted to make a book they would need

And no, there is no difference. That's literally the idea.  The thing with the burning claws that I pointed out was the fact that different materials can produce similar but still different results. Elastic 3 is identical regardless of what it is. Metal spring or tiny springy belly of an obese mouse; if it is elastic 3 it works.

Okay. While digging, the driver has a necessary role, and builders have time to build while the rest of us faff about.
While on mission but submerged in a frikken underground river, The driver has a necessary role, the robot can act if it chooses (and possibly so can Nameless[being a corpse], but why would he?) and builders continue to build.

Ok, I'll stop making posts as we wait for one person then.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 24, 2017, 11:55:03 pm »

Booster as in rocket or as in steroid?

Considering the whole 'being an engineheart' thing, either way works.  I was mostly thinking of it as a way to get something out of a 40 or a 50, but it would be pretty limited, such as one stat for one turn, with charges that can only be refilled via knowledge-fueled unlock.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 25, 2017, 03:22:22 am »

So because Radio Controled is the only person responding to me on the radio, and he specifically said he was running to the bridge to pass along information. In my head I imagine that they messed up the wiring, so instead of going to the main comms, the Crawler's radio transmits to some random pay phone near the workshop, and RC just happened to be nearby when it started ringing, so he picked it up, but was so shocked by what I was saying that he didn't have time to even think about how strange it is.
*Dring dring*
"Hello?"
"OH GOD SPIDERS EVERYWHERE HELP US."
"Hold up, I think you have the wrong number, I'll go fetch the cap'n."
"NO JUST COME GET U-" *muffled shooting and spidernoises*
"The driver is taking a nap, should I pass a message along when she wakes up?"
"SKREE SKREE SKREE" *spidernoises*
"...I'll tell her you said hi."

Now that materials gathering isn't assumed to be abstracted through gathering knowledge anymore, and anything you wanna build will require finding parts, does that mean having some find will be absolutely necessary? Or can we assume that like with Dev's pebble case, if something should be very obviously there that we'll have access to it?

The time to build thing seems like it'll be getting removed. But yes, in this specific scenario the environment kinda limits your options (though you could always go for a swim! Take a swan dive down the waterfall!) It's like the situation in ER with shuttles: if you aren't piloting, you can kick back and relax or try to get some rp going, but you can't do a whole lot of significance (that's not detrimental, mind, could always start trashing the crawler and see where that brings you).

If this really doesn't work out we could still switch to something simpler (just requiring knowledge for every item would be straightforward, if very abstract). PW will just have to put his foot down more often I guess to help curb the worst excesses of tinker.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:27:24 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #313 on: January 25, 2017, 11:03:48 am »

OK we're gonna give tags a try. If they suck, we'll just do builder food stamps.

All people building, your work is now finished, you get the thing you were working on for free.

From now on if you wanna make something, tell me what you want to make and I'll give you a recipe, and you'll try to find items that fit it. Keep in mind that I'm not gonna sit around and tag every possible item we come across, so instead what you wanna do is look for items that seem like they might fit the bill and examine them to see if they do.

No negotiating on recipes.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 25, 2017, 11:09:51 am »

Recipes in main thread, ooc, where? Where do we ask?
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 51