Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 51

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 77275 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2017, 05:26:45 pm »

@Pan
I'd really hope Recover restores Mind as well, else all our Transcend focused people are gonna have a hell of a time.
That's a good point, I don't think the rulesheet mentions ways to get mind points back. Luckely for me I don't have to deal with most transcend stuff, but that does mean I'm conflicted on wether I should spend my last 30 or so points in recover or find.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2017, 05:30:14 pm »

My provisional sheet, still working on it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Had a bunch of hide first, thought it'd mesh well with having to go unconscious to use transcend and thus not being able to defend myself anyway, but decided against it cause that'd make me just too squishy (still very squishy now), especially when surprised or ambushed. Could drop some more points into body at a loss of mind, but I get the feeling I'll be needing those mind points, now that there will be even more deep sea mobsters monsters (autocorrect almost got me here) spawning.

Still trying to decide whether to try and drop some points into dodge, though not sure where I could get them. With this setup I could try to rely on move to bravely run away the second melee shows up, but if that fails or is impossible, I'm pretty dang fucked, with no option to disengage (choose for cover vs dodge cause I think move is less reliable there for avoiding ranged weapons, and otherwise any shmuck with a pistol could pin me down at range).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2017, 05:35:51 pm »

-snip-

Still trying to decide whether to try and drop some points into dodge, though not sure where I could get them. With this setup I could try to rely on move to bravely run away the second melee shows up, but if that fails or is impossible, I'm pretty dang fucked, with no option to disengage (choose for cover vs dodge cause I think move is less reliable there for avoiding ranged weapons, and otherwise any shmuck with a pistol could pin me down at range).
Since I've got a decent amount of move and body points, we could get some kind of master blaster thing going. All I'd need to do is weld a basket to the back of my armour.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2017, 05:37:44 pm »

-snip-

Since I've got a decent amount of move and body points, we could get some kind of master blaster thing going. All I'd need to do is weld a basket to the back of my armour.

That sounds absolutely hilarious. Robocop&Psychobastard, in theaters now.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2017, 05:57:05 pm »

I've noticed that Hide and Transcend are pretty at odds with each other.  As long as you're willing to accept massive Transcend penalties, you can get two very powerful Hide engines.  Hide is also the best way to avoid Transcend attacks, as it's only counterable with Find, whereas you'll always be at the disadvantage with Transcend (unless it's your focus), and Mind just lets you tank stuff for a little while.

At the same time, Hide is probably the best way to defend yourself while Diving.  I think if you try to hide something else, you still just roll hide, so perhaps a character specced for Hide could hide the divers' bodies?  They presumably wouldn't be able to benefit from Hide engines for that roll, but it could be a secondary use for a high hide.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2017, 11:10:34 pm »

looks like my original tech submission is much more balanced now, since it boosts attack and reduces defense , rather than boosting attack and reducing neither.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 11, 2017, 11:50:38 pm »

Wait, what happens of both people fail their rolls?

Would opposed checks be better if it's opposed [roll] - [score] and tie goes to defense?

E: There's problems with that too, but there's problems in any system I guess. Gonna be late for work if I think too hard, though

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2017, 12:00:25 am »

If the attacker fails their roll he misses, and there is no need for the defender to roll.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #203 on: January 12, 2017, 12:45:36 am »

All right, is recover used for anything but regaining body points after a battle?
A few minor things maybe if it seems to fit, but mostly just that.

Another question then, pw: what kind of items can give you bonusses in the sea when you're dead? Say I have an engine that boosts my transcend, do I keep the bonus upon death (planned or otherwise)? And what if someone eg. took my priests' beadchain of my physical body while dead/unconscious, do I lose that weapon in the sea then as well?

If it is a decision, you keep everything, if you die accidentally, you keep nothing EXCEPT ideas. Like the Mantras of Truth.

Guess I might as well repost my list of questions here, for a faster answer.
I'm not completely sure about this sheet, I'd like to ask a few questions first.  First, the rules currently say that to disengage from ranged combat, you need to succeed on a cover check, then on a move check.  Could I not simply accept getting hit, and skip right to rolling move?  Or does all combat lock me in until I succeed on a defensive roll?

Second, can divers in the Deep Sea attack people in the real world, dealing damage directly to mind?  Meaning one needs high Transcend, Mind, or Hide to survive their attacks?

Third, could a person willingly separate their mind from their body without trauma, but also without going to Deep Sea Level 6, to avoid the penalties of traumatic death?  Would you need Transcend to do so, even if it's just because you need to have been to L6 before?  Could a skilled diver handle it for you, to prevent the death penalties?

Fourth, are living engines still helpful even after you've been killed and your soul thrown into the Deep Sea?

Fifth, can ghosts stored in an ego vault be removed and placed into a body?

@Pan
I'd really hope Recover restores Mind as well, else all our Transcend focused people are gonna have a hell of a time.
It does

Wait, what happens of both people fail their rolls?

Would opposed checks be better if it's opposed [roll] - [score] and tie goes to defense?

E: There's problems with that too, but there's problems in any system I guess. Gonna be late for work if I think too hard, though

Think of it like this:

If the attacker fails at all, they just missed.
If the defender failed and the attacker succeeded, then the defender just failed to protect themselves at all
If the Attacker and defender both succeed, but the attacker succeeded more, then they clashed swords a bit and the attacker found an opening and managed to hit
If the opposite is true, then the defender managed to repel every attack and defend themselves.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 12, 2017, 02:10:13 am »

I've noticed that Hide and Transcend are pretty at odds with each other.  As long as you're willing to accept massive Transcend penalties, you can get two very powerful Hide engines.  Hide is also the best way to avoid Transcend attacks, as it's only counterable with Find, whereas you'll always be at the disadvantage with Transcend (unless it's your focus), and Mind just lets you tank stuff for a little while.

At the same time, Hide is probably the best way to defend yourself while Diving.  I think if you try to hide something else, you still just roll hide, so perhaps a character specced for Hide could hide the divers' bodies?  They presumably wouldn't be able to benefit from Hide engines for that roll, but it could be a secondary use for a high hide.
I just asked pw, and he said that while diving one uses transcend for all their rolls. That presumably also includes finding the spirit of an enemy to attack?

And having other people hide my vulnerable behind could work, though that sounds mostly reliable when we have the initiative and time is on our side (in which case finding a semi-decent hiding spot might circumvent the hide roll somewhat, like with Find for Pan's question).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 03:31:06 am by Radio Controlled »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #205 on: January 12, 2017, 11:45:20 am »

I just asked pw, and he said that while diving one uses transcend for all their rolls. That presumably also includes finding the spirit of an enemy to attack?

And having other people hide my vulnerable behind could work, though that sounds mostly reliable when we have the initiative and time is on our side (in which case finding a semi-decent hiding spot might circumvent the hide roll somewhat, like with Find for Pan's question).
I feel you may wake up and find yourself in some very odd places if you allow other people to hide you.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 12, 2017, 12:03:03 pm »

Is the civilian's +10 on an 80 here legal?
One wheel short of a wagon

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #207 on: January 12, 2017, 12:07:06 pm »

Is the civilian's +10 on an 80 here legal?

I suppose.

Also, to the oro fans

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/550840/

Should this be in the "They stole our idea" thread?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 12, 2017, 12:19:30 pm »

I feel you may wake up and find yourself in some very odd places if you allow other people to hide you.

I'm unconscious anyway, not like I can stop them even if I didn't allow it.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 12, 2017, 03:50:17 pm »

I'm off to a smashing start with that first roll.

I'm a little concerned with the soldier's suit apparently taking 100 hours to make. Chances are good I won't get one finished before the first mission, but this would imply that better armours are going to take even more time. I realize we need to reel in the tinkering a bit, but that's basically 20 turns of doing nothing else.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 51