Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 51

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 77257 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #180 on: January 11, 2017, 02:45:39 pm »

I'm really hating dodge right now. I don't really want to put a lot of points in it because I'll be using blast weapon almost explusively, so I don't plan on letting myself get into melee situations if I can help it. Then again, if I somehow do get into a melee situation I absolutely need dodge to even stand a chance at getting out of it. I can't just, say, put  80 points into move and try to disengage after tanking one hit, because I also need to make a dodge vs fight roll to even be able to run away. Argh.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 11, 2017, 02:49:57 pm »

Since the armour that uses the highest endure in the rulesheet requires 60 endure, is that the max amount of endure required to wear armours? Or are there that require more endure?
The list of weapons isn't exhaustive, so I'm bettingthe listof armors isn'teither.

I'm really hating dodge right now. I don't really want to put a lot of points in it because I'll be using blast weapon almost explusively, so I don't plan on letting myself get into melee situations if I can help it. Then again, if I somehow do get into a melee situation I absolutely need dodge to even stand a chance at getting out of it. I can't just, say, put  80 points into move and try to disengage after tanking one hit, because I also need to make a dodge vs fight roll to even be able to run away. Argh.
Become best friends with Nameless. (or Sy's character, if he chooses to keep it). This should be less of a concern.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 11, 2017, 02:51:36 pm »

As much as I'd love to do that, I don't think relying on other people in combat is good for your health in a piecewise game.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2017, 03:23:44 pm »

I don't think relying on other people is good for your health

FTFY
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2017, 03:27:15 pm »

I don't think that refusing to rely on other people is good for your health.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2017, 03:34:49 pm »

I don't think that refusing to rely on other people is good for your health.
I'm going to try not to rely on it, but I'm certainly not going to turn away such offers of mutual help in combat.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 11, 2017, 04:13:36 pm »

Oh, one last bit.  Against someone with 80 of the relevant defense, you need about a 120 to have a 5/6 odds of scoring a hit.  Against someone with zero, you need about an 83-84 to have the same odds.

Really, targetting weak spots is for chumps.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #187 on: January 11, 2017, 04:33:41 pm »

Also, for magical attacks you have to be unconscious somewhere. Any shmuck who wants can saunter along and stab the offending brainiac in the throat.

PW, the rules say doing stuff in the deep sea rolls transcend. This is for all deep-sea related actions, right? I know I can't fire a gun using transcend, but what about eg. finding the soul of a teammate who misplaced his for rezzing?

Oh, and when enter lvl. 6 of the sea you get access to your other skills as well, but can one choose whether or not to use these instead of transcend, or is it 'mandatory'? I think the former, but not entirely sure.
On levels 1-5, you have literally nothing but transcend.

At level 6 and higher its kind of a mix. attacks are still transcend, but other physical stats like move or dodge come in.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by "fail when succeeding."

-edit- sorry.

I meant that even if you roll under your Hide, Find can still get ya.  80 hide vs 20 find is, if I'm reading it right, would be about 75% chance of a successful hide, with the extra 5% coming up when the 20 find succeeds better.
I'm not sure of the exact statistics of it, but it would be 80% chance of you rolling under and a 20% chance of them rolling under. However, they would have to roll much better to beat your success. Essentially if you rolled 60 or lower you'd be completely unbeatable by a 20 skill player.

Regardless, the practical side of this is that most of the time, for most enemies, they'll have combat related stats but no other stats, so I'll just roll a generic test of your hide and if you pass, you pass.

Also, the one who plans on hide is the one with 80 hide.

That's kinda the part that's rubbing on me.  If I want to ever be able to do something, I need to apply max points to it right now.  I've played too much Wesnoth to ever count on 60% chances, particularly ones that are really lower than that (assuming some defense).  Fight physically?  pick an attack stat, max it, and likely the defense stat at that range as well.  And then the other defense stat or recover.  That leaves you with two other choices.  Fight magically?  Max transcend and make four other choices, not counting the two physical defence stats because they're probably meaningless to an unconscious character.

And if you really want something to work, you need to max it out harder by stacking relevant implants and such to get it to say, 100 or 120 or something, so that you can have a 50% or better chance of success.  So by maxing something you have a decent chance of success, and if you don't max something, putting say 40 points in it, it's roughly equivalent to zero as the actual odds of success will be something like 20%.

It might be more basic than all that.  It's that I can't take advantage of weaknesses.  I can't take advantage of an 0 find by hiding, because if I come up with 30% in bonuses to hide, that's only a 30% chance of success against a zero.  Or something similar.  I'd need to decide now which weaknesses I can ever take advantage of.
Thats a reasonable dislike. But you forget that if a creature has 0 find I probably wouldn't even force a hide roll. If the weakness is obvious or easy then its not usually gonna need a roll.

You could, however, use actions that say "If a melee enemy runs up to me, cancel my attack and run away." which would force a move vs move roll for them to attack you. Of course if they DO catch you you're fucked, and I can't say that actions like that will always work depending on the situation. But it's something to think about.

Oh, one last bit.  Against someone with 80 of the relevant defense, you need about a 120 to have a 5/6 odds of scoring a hit.  Against someone with zero, you need about an 83-84 to have the same odds.

Really, targetting weak spots is for chumps.

And in RTD you fail 50% of the time.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 11, 2017, 04:47:42 pm »

How important is find going to be? Like, are we going to have to roll it every time we're searching for something. Because in the previous system I had to roll find to find books in the archive, something that could also be solved by just systematically reading every single book title page.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 11, 2017, 04:50:21 pm »

How important is find going to be? Like, are we going to have to roll it every time we're searching for something. Because in the previous system I had to roll find to find books in the archive, something that could also be solved by just systematically reading every single book title page.

You know I'm making something to help find rolls made in the archive, right?

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 11, 2017, 04:53:02 pm »

You know I'm making something to help find rolls made in the archive, right?
I didn't, but that was just an example. I'm currently thinking of leaving find at 0, but I'm afraid that will make me literally unable the find even the most obvious shit. Like, every action with "look around" or "inspect" just insta-fails, regardless of how easy it would be to see the thing I need to see.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #191 on: January 11, 2017, 05:05:17 pm »

How about this: Normal circumstances a find roll is used to find something quickly. Otherwise you have to spend some period of time looking for it. Maybe minutes or hours, maybe days depending on what it is and the situation. So if you have to find things fast.

Also anything where you have traps or hidden dangers.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 11, 2017, 05:11:01 pm »

All right, is recover used for anything but regaining body points after a battle?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 08:19:15 pm by Pancaek »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 11, 2017, 05:20:01 pm »

Another question then, pw: what kind of items can give you bonusses in the sea when you're dead? Say I have an engine that boosts my transcend, do I keep the bonus upon death (planned or otherwise)? And what if someone eg. took my priests' beadchain of my physical body while dead/unconscious, do I lose that weapon in the sea then as well?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 11, 2017, 05:23:14 pm »

Guess I might as well repost my list of questions here, for a faster answer.
I'm not completely sure about this sheet, I'd like to ask a few questions first.  First, the rules currently say that to disengage from ranged combat, you need to succeed on a cover check, then on a move check.  Could I not simply accept getting hit, and skip right to rolling move?  Or does all combat lock me in until I succeed on a defensive roll?

Second, can divers in the Deep Sea attack people in the real world, dealing damage directly to mind?  Meaning one needs high Transcend, Mind, or Hide to survive their attacks?

Third, could a person willingly separate their mind from their body without trauma, but also without going to Deep Sea Level 6, to avoid the penalties of traumatic death?  Would you need Transcend to do so, even if it's just because you need to have been to L6 before?  Could a skilled diver handle it for you, to prevent the death penalties?

Fourth, are living engines still helpful even after you've been killed and your soul thrown into the Deep Sea?

Fifth, can ghosts stored in an ego vault be removed and placed into a body?

@Pan
I'd really hope Recover restores Mind as well, else all our Transcend focused people are gonna have a hell of a time.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 51