Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 51

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 77258 times)

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #165 on: January 11, 2017, 09:25:02 am »

So... now Quiet Man/Hushed Lady is the same as a civilian who took +10 hide and a knife.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2017, 10:25:29 am »

600 points to distribute among 12 abilities, 80 max per? You could max out seven of them and have 40 points left to distrbute among the last 5,

Is that the intention there? looks like you start us out with 50 per ability.

Nameless: Thoughful corpse
Body: 80
Mind: 20
knowledge: 0

60 Blast
80 Fight
80 Dodge
70 Cover
80 Endure
80 Move
50 Hide
10 Find
10 Transcend
90 Recover (80 +10)
00 Build
00 Control

Weapon: Knife (3d6 dmg)
400, not 600. I think maybe it didn't update all the way last night but I changed that before saying to look at it.

So... now Quiet Man/Hushed Lady is the same as a civilian who took +10 hide and a knife.
Effectively in terms of starting bonuses. The civililian is effectively the same as several of the classes if they stat that way.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2017, 10:43:29 am »

Worm driver is the same: 10 control and a pistol. the other classes each have somethingunique to them though.

but you can also make completely different classes out of a civvie. Circus acrobat? +10 move, max out move dodge, endure, build maybe ....
Scientist of the shadows? +10 build, max out build transcend, hide, find ...

Yeah, all the classes do seem much more similar overall in terms of innate capabilities. Now the focus is on where you put points into your abilities, mostly.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2017, 11:03:18 am »

So, endure no longer works as something that lessens the damage you take directly. Except for being the stat that determines what kinds of armour you can wear, what else does it do exactly? When will you be rolling it?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2017, 01:13:18 pm »

It also seems somewhat pointless to do physical attacks.  A 50 blast character shooting at a 50 cover character has 37.5% chance to hit, which when compared to a magic-user's Transcendance% (probably about 80%) seems utterly pointless.  It also seems pretty pointless to have stats that aren't maxed, if they're all compared to 1d100 before even having a chance to work.  Hiding, say, if it only has a chance to work 30% of the time, and can still fail even when succeeding, who would ever make a plan depending on it?

Perhaps it should just be compared to 1d100, and failing to exceed the 1d100 roll shouldn't be an automatic failure.  Instead, the opponent's roll is also compared to 1d100, and the better relative performance should hit. That way, 50 v 50 would be a 50% chance to hit.  I'm also thinking that there should probably be the failure chance for magical attacks, as there is no defensive stat to compare them to.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:52:48 pm by Devastator »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2017, 01:35:37 pm »

So, endure no longer works as something that lessens the damage you take directly. Except for being the stat that determines what kinds of armour you can wear, what else does it do exactly? When will you be rolling it?
To resist poison, being on fire, being blinded by pepperspray, when you need to do something taxing for long periods, etc.  Or drinking.

It also seems somewhat pointless to do physical attacks.  A 50 blast character shooting at a 50 cover character has 37% chance to hit, which when compared to a magic-user's 100% seems utterly pointless.  It also seems pretty pointless to have stats that aren't maxed, if they're all compared to 1d100 before even having a chance to work.  Hiding, say, if it only has a chance to work 30% of the time, and can still fail even when succeeding, who would ever make a plan depending on it?

Perhaps it should just be compared to 1d100, and failing to exceed the 1d100 roll shouldn't be an automatic failure.  Instead, the opponent's roll is also compared to 1d100, and the better relative performance should hit. That way, 50 v 50 would be a 50% chance to hit.  I'm also thinking that there should probably be the failure chance for magical attacks, as there is no defensive stat to compare them to.
Dev, what part of "Magic attacks actively summon demons into your brain is so hard to understand? Also, magic isn't 100% and I have no idea why you think it is. You have to roll transcend for it and almost any attack done with it will have some roll opposing it.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by "fail when succeeding."

Also, the one who plans on hide is the one with 80 hide.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2017, 01:45:40 pm »

Also, for magical attacks you have to be unconscious somewhere. Any shmuck who wants can saunter along and stab the offending brainiac in the throat.

PW, the rules say doing stuff in the deep sea rolls transcend. This is for all deep-sea related actions, right? I know I can't fire a gun using transcend, but what about eg. finding the soul of a teammate who misplaced his for rezzing?

Oh, and when enter lvl. 6 of the sea you get access to your other skills as well, but can one choose whether or not to use these instead of transcend, or is it 'mandatory'? I think the former, but not entirely sure.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2017, 01:47:08 pm »

Dev, what part of "Magic attacks actively summon demons into your brain is so hard to understand? Also, magic isn't 100% and I have no idea why you think it is. You have to roll transcend for it and almost any attack done with it will have some roll opposing it.

Fair enough, then.  I didn't see anything obvious for that.

I'm still not sold on Hide, though.  An 80% chance of getting into an advantageous situation where you get, say, a +20 to the next roll, doesn't seem like a terribly efficient use of points, where you could theoretically just spend 20 more points into the relevant stat.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2017, 01:49:05 pm »

I'm still not sold on Hide, though.  An 80% chance of getting into an advantageous situation where you get, say, a +20 to the next roll, doesn't seem like a terribly efficient use of points, where you could theoretically just spend 20 more points into the relevant stat.

Because Avert-Thy-Eyes + Behemoth's Engine.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2017, 01:53:45 pm »

Also I'm not sure what you mean by "fail when succeeding."

-edit- sorry.

I meant that even if you roll under your Hide, Find can still get ya.  80 hide vs 20 find is, if I'm reading it right, would be about 75% chance of a successful hide, with the extra 5% coming up when the 20 find succeeds better.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 02:06:09 pm by Devastator »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2017, 01:57:19 pm »

Since the armour that uses the highest endure in the rulesheet requires 60 endure, is that the max amount of endure required to wear armours? Or are there that require more endure?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2017, 01:58:42 pm »

Because Avert-Thy-Eyes + Behemoth's Engine.

Or.. just behemoth's engine + weapon.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2017, 02:03:15 pm »

Or.. just behemoth's engine + weapon.

And both relevant abilities are maxed out. So I can't just move points from Hide to Fight because Fight is maxed out.

Also, it's different than what everybody else is doing and looks somewhat challenging to play.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2017, 02:22:30 pm »

Also, the one who plans on hide is the one with 80 hide.

That's kinda the part that's rubbing on me.  If I want to ever be able to do something, I need to apply max points to it right now.  I've played too much Wesnoth to ever count on 60% chances, particularly ones that are really lower than that (assuming some defense).  Fight physically?  pick an attack stat, max it, and likely the defense stat at that range as well.  And then the other defense stat or recover.  That leaves you with two other choices.  Fight magically?  Max transcend and make four other choices, not counting the two physical defence stats because they're probably meaningless to an unconscious character.

And if you really want something to work, you need to max it out harder by stacking relevant implants and such to get it to say, 100 or 120 or something, so that you can have a 50% or better chance of success.  So by maxing something you have a decent chance of success, and if you don't max something, putting say 40 points in it, it's roughly equivalent to zero as the actual odds of success will be something like 20%.

It might be more basic than all that.  It's that I can't take advantage of weaknesses.  I can't take advantage of an 0 find by hiding, because if I come up with 30% in bonuses to hide, that's only a 30% chance of success against a zero.  Or something similar.  I'd need to decide now which weaknesses I can ever take advantage of.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:55:36 pm by Devastator »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2017, 02:42:14 pm »

Only 400 points then. That's more like it, really. hmm. I'll make a few modifications.

Nameless: Thoughful corpse
Body: 80
Mind: 20
knowledge: 0

00 Blast
80 Fight
60 Dodge
40 Cover
60 Endure
80 Move
00 Hide
00 Find