Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 70

Author Topic: DIG: VOTE  (Read 137908 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: Squish
« Reply #510 on: February 15, 2017, 06:53:06 pm »

We could just take the crawler out, it can go on ceilings if I remember correctly, and try to scout out some of the cavern
It's cavern as far as the eye can see, though. No sign of walls - just water below, rock above. I'd kinda like to drive the bore to someplace where people can get out and explore, rather than stop driving the bore, and drive the crawler while people pack in and ... wait some more.

Hey, you deep divers. How far can you explore in the Deep Sea? Can you get a sort of bird's eye view of our region? Maybe find us a target to aim for? Maybe do this while the Bore moves, even?

here's what I am inclined to do - Bore directly right (up enough to stay above the cavern) and peek into the cavern every tile until we find something besides the middle of the ocean.
That would mean everyone's gotta get shit strapped down! including yerselves!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #511 on: February 15, 2017, 06:57:50 pm »

I think I should be back up to full actually, let me put out my math for you to check
I started with 22, then I rolled a 1 on recover, which if I'm not mistaken, means I get 35 back based on my recover skill, then they healed me for 11 points, then we moved 3 spaces, so that adds 15, in other words
(22+35+11+15)=83, but I have a cap of 75, so 75.
But it is entirely possible that I completely messed this up, if I did, explain how please.

Spoiler: "Razorblade" Rede (click to show/hide)
Yeah, I wasn't adding some stuff because I think your sheet wasn't updated?

Moved for a while.  Started drilling.  Stopped drilling.  We must be in a new cave.

Go take a look out the door.  Is the fall longer than the one in the last cave?

Spoiler: Bargthor-47 (click to show/hide)
You walk to the airlock and look out. You're really tempting fate here, looking out over another fall into unknown waters. But the fall here is less than the one from before. Albeit the one from before was a fall into relatively shallow water and this is a fall into water that is...well supremely deep, no doubt. Also, this gave is LOUD. The sea seems to be fed not by some singular inlet but by countless millions of tiny drops and drips from the ceiling. The sound in the cave is like that of a torrential downpour echoing infinitely.

((Lemme know what you guys wanna do here. I'll post a move action tomorrow evening, depending on what everyone wants.))
((Perhaps up->up->downright? Basically I'd keep hugging the edge of the river until we find something. Seeing as how a civilization of any size would probably need some source of water (and water in general being conductive to life) I think further mapping this out could pay off. Though perhaps a more general 'keep exploring the edge of the water until we reach the end or we find something interesting' might make things quicker.))

If I were to find the tag requirements for a certain object (in this case the depth dive that gives a +10 transcend) a bit difficult to achieve for now (don't think I could reliably take on a lvl.5) , could one 'design'/request an item that gives a lower bonus at a lower tag 'price' (in this case a +5 transcend)?
Hmmm. Its a reasonable question. I think thats a reasonable thing.

In that case, what would be the tag requirements for a device that gives +5 transcend? What would the item look like?

Since we're grabbing pieces of people left and right anyway, see if I can't liberate a heart from our former friend turned self-service meatlocker.

Spoiler: Joshua Abraham Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Sifeebt shrugs, and then starts working on the dark cloth wrapped around his left arm.  After a few seconds he unwraps it enough to reveal his forearm--and a remarkable number of large scars crisscrossing the discolored flesh.  He points out a particularly large scar the fully encircles the arm, rotating it to demonstrate.  Sifeebt tilts his head and looks at a neaby patient, then shrugs again and wraps his arm back up.  He doesn't move away, simply remaining seated and watching Joshua intently.
"Ah yes, well, not everybody has had a life experience quite as desensitizing as yours must've been. Don't worry though, I'm sure they'll learn soon enough down here!"
Same as the other one, just Deep 3 instead. It looks the same too, its just a more shitty version.

And Engie is being inactive so until he says otherwise, I'll suppose you can.

((Lemme know what you guys wanna do here. I'll post a move action tomorrow evening, depending on what everyone wants.))
((Perhaps up->up->downright? Basically I'd keep hugging the edge of the river until we find something. Seeing as how a civilization of any size would probably need some source of water (and water in general being conductive to life) I think further mapping this out could pay off. Though perhaps a more general 'keep exploring the edge of the water until we reach the end or we find something interesting' might make things quicker.))
Three things: One we are suspended directly over a giant cavern full of ocean right now, and not over the river at all. it's a sixty foot drop to the water.

Two: going directly up would require us to invert the Bore and dig upside down. PW has already said that digging directly sideways would make life challenging for the on the Bore, so, while i don't mind doing so, nothing of interest would get done while drilling.

Three: There is no three. I can't tell left from right sometimes.

Hey PW, I think you missed a square that we passed through - the one up-left from where we currently dangle over the Abyss. it's still marked black, but should be white?

I could take us up-left, up-left, up, up (which puts us at our starting square), down-right down-right, down-right, down-right (which will put us two squares to our right).
Or, to get to the same place, I can simply put us on our side, and go right, right.

I think I should be back up to full actually, let me put out my math for you to check
I started with 22, then I rolled a 1 on recover, which if I'm not mistaken, means I get 35 back based on my recover skill, then they healed me for 11 points, then we moved 3 spaces, so that adds 15, in other words
(22+35+11+15)=83, but I have a cap of 75, so 75.
But it is entirely possible that I completely messed this up, if I did, explain how please.

you would get 34 back from rolling 34 less than your stat, except that a 1 is a critical success, so you would probably have gotten double back. Not exactly sure there.

However: We have since moved an additional seven spaces. So, we have moved ten spaces since combat, which means everyone has recovered 50 points from Bore Travel alone.

((Jump down and record how big a splash you make.))
Noted and tempted.
Yeah, I guess I just forgot to path you through it. You sort of teleported~

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 15, 2017, 07:31:53 pm »

Legs The Mover Will announce its plan to Bore horizontally above the ceiling of the Infinite Undersea, and suggests that the crew strap everything down and buckle in, since this means turning the Bore on it's side.

Legs the mover will give everyperson sufficient time to strap things in and buckle down - or to object to this plan - and then Legs the Mover will back the Bore up a bit, and begin digging. he'll aim to travel just above the cavern, peeking the Bore into the cavern once every square, until we find something interesting or run out of Undersea.

Spoiler: Legs The Mover (click to show/hide)

Any sparring apparently having been lost in the wind, nameless will buckle in for the ride, making sure to secure Tony's head and the Crystal Sphere, should the latter not already be secured.

Spoiler: Nameless (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 15, 2017, 08:42:02 pm »

Same as the other one, just Deep 3 instead. It looks the same too, its just a more shitty version.

Could I later then replace this inferior version with the better version of the depth drive? Could they perhaps be combined?

Strap myself in and anyone else on the bridge for when the bore goes sideways. Could I perhaps dive into the deep sea and look around the bore to help find our next point of interest? What roll(s) does using the bore's sensor ping and interpreting the results use, if any?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:31:59 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 15, 2017, 09:35:06 pm »

Star down everything I can get too, try to make sure nothing will be jostled by the bore going horizontal, then go to the library and try to read up on fighting (attempt to gain knowledge for Ruthless Fury)

I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 16, 2017, 12:43:03 am »

Treat recommendations of strapping-in as opportunities to practice dodging.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 16, 2017, 07:48:32 am »

Grab a random book that looks interesting from the archives and then strap in for a wild ride. Read said book while our driver(s) jostle the bore around.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #517 on: February 16, 2017, 11:24:50 pm »

Could I later then replace this inferior version with the better version of the depth drive? Could they perhaps be combined?

Strap myself in and anyone else on the bridge for when the bore goes sideways. Could I perhaps dive into the deep sea and look around the bore to help find our next point of interest? What roll(s) does using the bore's sensor ping and interpreting the results use, if any?

If you get +5 Deep, you could disassemble the crappier one and rebuild it using the parts and the more powerful piece.

Sensor ping is control, as you might expect. No roll to interpret.
Treat recommendations of strapping-in as opportunities to practice dodging.

95/80

You are very lucky that everything big and heavy and potentially fatal is strapped down. Instead you just spend the trip trying to do matrix dodges and instead falling backward and landing hard in a very hilarious but also painful manner.

Star down everything I can get too, try to make sure nothing will be jostled by the bore going horizontal, then go to the library and try to read up on fighting (attempt to gain knowledge for Ruthless Fury)

You get [d10] 3 knowledge from your reading as the bore continues along.

Grab a random book that looks interesting from the archives and then strap in for a wild ride. Read said book while our driver(s) jostle the bore around.

A completely random book eh?

You grab a book about the marriage customs of tunnel dwelling communities. There's some rather interesting things about marriage between tribes to assure peace, a great deal of incest among certain families and tribes that care about "Founder" bloodlines, and the use of children as bargaining tools and property in land settlements.

Over all, it gives you the impression that tunnel dwellers are not terribly empathetic.

Alright, lets see about what you guys see...After a short time of driving, not even long enough to leave this square, you see something. It looks like, well it looks like something severely fucked up. Its an island, maybe a few hundred feet wide, bobbing around on the surface of the sea far below. You can see what look like black structures outlined against the white mass of the island. Also the island is moving. Squirming, specifically. It looks like a ball of tapeworms floating in the sea, with a structure sticking out of it. Thats...something.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 16, 2017, 11:54:31 pm »

"Well, that looks promising"

Go pre-aim a cannon on the structure

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 17, 2017, 12:09:35 am »

Over all, it gives you the impression that tunnel dwellers are not terribly empathetic.

I'd say that description pretty much sums Jakie up perfectly.

Examine the Island, try to determine the nature of the structure, and figure out if it looks safe to walk on.

I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 17, 2017, 01:45:20 am »

Drop the bore onto it, drill first! Cowabunga!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 17, 2017, 06:19:47 am »

There's no sheet here, so that will autofail. Also, you don't even have an updated sheet! You fraud! Imposter! Get out of here stalker!

"Ok, I'm gonna go take a quick peek and see what I can learn."

Dive down to lvl. 2 and go take a look at that thing. From afar from now.

Also, could you describe what a [mechanical 5] could look like? An example perhaps?

If you get +5 Deep, you could disassemble the crappier one and rebuild it using the parts and the more powerful piece.
Even after the crappy one has already been installed? So living engines can be taken out again?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:42:39 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 17, 2017, 05:53:54 pm »

Are we able to get down to, and up from, Tapeworm Island? That is... can we either: a) lower the Bore enough, while keeping it securely in the rock above that we can climb in and out of it, or b) navigate down to the island via smaller vehicle - crawler, diving bell, ultralight, portal gun?

If the answer to the above is 'no,' then of what interest is it to us? Legs is looking for places from which his crew can dismount and stab shit. Or collect shit, or interbreed with stuff. Whatever it is organics do when they encounter shit.

No actions, so no sheet. these are ooc questions, I think. If they are IC questions, i'll post my sheet next time I ask.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 17, 2017, 06:01:35 pm »

"How interesting. Organics have the most curious views on lasting relationships."

If I've got time before the bore moves again, go and grab another random book and read that. Make sure to grab onto something in case the bore moves again.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #524 on: February 18, 2017, 10:16:37 am »

"Well, that looks promising"

Go pre-aim a cannon on the structure

57/50

You aim your cannon at...well you aim your cannon. It's not at the structure, in fact I'm kind of hard-pressed to tell you where you're aiming it. But you're definitely aiming it.

I'd say that description pretty much sums Jakie up perfectly.

Examine the Island, try to determine the nature of the structure, and figure out if it looks safe to walk on.

The island, as said before, really looks like a horrible ball of knotted together flatworms, a parasite king as it were, floating down in that dark subterranean
sea. Its roughly 400 feet across, at least the part above the water is, kind of ovoid though the exact shape shifts because of the aforementioned worminess. The structures themselves are hard to make out from this distance and in the relative dark but they look almost like buildings that are caught up in the worm ball; you can see worms coming out of the openings in the structure on the lowest visible levels, so its clearly tangled up in that mass. As per what the nature of the structure is, you have no idea. It is big and square, with a pointed top, not unlike an obelisk but with windows and doors. Safe to walk on...you really can't guess that. But its alive so its inherently somewhat unsafe if only because it is unpredictable.

Are you even in this game? Also no sheet, no roll. Otherwise I totally would have had you try to wrest the controls away from legs and bonzai this thing into the wormball.

There's no sheet here, so that will autofail. Also, you don't even have an updated sheet! You fraud! Imposter! Get out of here stalker!

"Ok, I'm gonna go take a quick peek and see what I can learn."

Dive down to lvl. 2 and go take a look at that thing. From afar from now.

Also, could you describe what a [mechanical 5] could look like? An example perhaps?

Even after the crappy one has already been installed? So living engines can be taken out again?

99/95
You sit down and attempt to dive, but find yourself oddly distracted and unable to concentrate.

Ok, on our sliding scale of tags, most of the time 1-5 are mundane, 6-10 are super natural, or at least above the capacity of mankind in general. So mechanical 5 would be something that is extremely mechanically complex, but still within the realm of human manufacture. At this tech level. An engine heart, for instance, would be like a 6. Diesel gauntlets could be a 5. 

Yeah? Nothing says you can't take them out or put new ones in. But it is major surgery so maybe don't do it too often if you want to live.

Are we able to get down to, and up from, Tapeworm Island? That is... can we either: a) lower the Bore enough, while keeping it securely in the rock above that we can climb in and out of it, or b) navigate down to the island via smaller vehicle - crawler, diving bell, ultralight, portal gun?

If the answer to the above is 'no,' then of what interest is it to us? Legs is looking for places from which his crew can dismount and stab shit. Or collect shit, or interbreed with stuff. Whatever it is organics do when they encounter shit.

No actions, so no sheet. these are ooc questions, I think. If they are IC questions, i'll post my sheet next time I ask.

Well, the bore is currently sitting sideways and there's 70 or more feet between the roof and the island so you can't lower it down to the island. It would have to jump. Or more accurately, fall. The crawer, well, it doesn't crawl on top of water. Your best bet would be that diving bell solution. But you don't have a diving bell, so you're gonna have to use a long rope and some climbing instead. Unless some builder wants to try and whip up a diving bell and wench.

Its very possible to get down and up, its just gonna have to be outside vehicles.

"How interesting. Organics have the most curious views on lasting relationships."

If I've got time before the bore moves again, go and grab another random book and read that. Make sure to grab onto something in case the bore moves again.

Looks like the bore may or may not be moving. We'll have to see.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 70