Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 70

Author Topic: DIG: VOTE  (Read 137782 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: DIG
« Reply #330 on: January 24, 2017, 09:37:43 am »

Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.
-Sun Tzu-

Keep building

By the by skeleguy, any news on that 'diving for dummies' thingie?

Spoiler: Joshua Abraham Darvaza (click to show/hide)

But seriously, if you guys want to discuss alternative ways of limiting builders so that they can't crank out 50 things a post, I'm all for hearing it.
Alternatives were proposed in the ooc thread some time ago. Also recently.

Basically, if you give each builder a limited amount of buildpoints per 'mission' cycle you have a limit on how fast new stuff is cranked out. So a person could crank out a bunch of pistols all at once, but only once per mission, and then he'll have to wait before building anything else.

In terms of the mechanical stuff

Level 1: Bare bones local information, mostly acquired via touch. Good for learning about things.
Level 2: Wander. Astral projection of a sort. No interaction.
Level 3: Manipulation of local material in a way that resembles mundane. Ie, you can go and psychically move or do things that you could normally do with your body.
Level 4: Local Control. Manipulate matter.
Level 5: Greater local control. Manipulate matter, energy and laws
Level 6: Total Local Control. Anything may be manipulated within a short distance.
On levels 1-6 changes tend to be temporary and revert back when control is no longer actively maintained.
Level 7: First layer of Abyss. Home of Deep entities of some power. Form varies depending on location. Access to global information.
Level 8: Second layer of Abyss. Engines of complexity and interaction.  Greater entities.
Level 9: Third Layer of Abyss. Engines of upper law. Grand entities
Level 10: Absolute Abyss. Engines of basic reality. Throne of god.

More staring.  Does Sifeebt's mask allow him to automatically win all staring contests?

Spoiler: Sifeebt, Roa Deathless (click to show/hide)
Yes, though it's kind of cheating.
"The thing is using the light source as bait. Probably. Perhaps we could use the engineheart as a counter-bait?"

Look for vulnerabilities in the leg creature.

10/no sheet

You have no damn clue how to fight a giant spider. In fact, if there is a way, you don't know if you'd wanna know it. You'd prefer, quite honestly, to just fucking leave the robot man to his webby fate and get the fuck out of this place.

so there is what appears to be a giant spider on top of this cave? First, see if we can radio our discovery back to the crew of the bore. Then contemplate whether or not drilling the bore down on top of the thing seems like a legitimate strategy.

"Chitin armor anyone?"

Spoiler: "Razorblade" Rede (click to show/hide)
The radio still works from this distance so you radio in your big bad, buggy discovery.

60/70

Hmm. Well tunneling into it might be a good plan. Might kill it outright. But if you don't then you have a giant angry spider right on the the doorstep to your wandering house. It's a bit of a gamble.

Were we in a contest? I thought Sifeebt was merely admiring Nameless' ghastly manliness. I suppose Nameless could stare back - the dead can stare pretty well, after all.

But no! Nameless will continue to sit blankly, waiting for an opportunity to stab, collect, punch, persuade, assist, or otherwise act on behalf of the crew.

Spoiler: Nameless (click to show/hide)

This is literally all I can imagine.

"Spider web, eh?  I wonder if something's fishing."

Look around for any cave fish or frogs or such in the river.  Or, failing that, a small rock.

Bargthor-47
Find 60/40

You look around at your feet for some sort of living critter, but fail to find any. You do however manage to find a rock. Because I can't really say that, while surrounded by rocks, you are so fucking blind as to be unable to find a pebble.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 24, 2017, 09:49:23 am »

Continue building, almost there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 24, 2017, 10:18:23 am »

Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind.
-Johannes Brahms-

Keep building

Cool, thanks. Is there more that you could already tell beyond 'mechanical stuff', or is that up to us to discover?

so there is what appears to be a giant spider on top of this cave? First, see if we can radio our discovery back to the crew of the bore. Then contemplate whether or not drilling the bore down on top of the thing seems like a legitimate strategy.

"Chitin armor anyone?"

"There's a what now in the where? Did you guys find the booze stash and neglect to inform the rest of us? The spirits won't be pleased when I'm denied of spirits!"
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:27:22 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 24, 2017, 10:30:19 am »

Okay, first I'm going to explain my "drill the shit out of it" plan over the radio payphone. Then I'm going to take a really close look at that glowing orb, seeing if there's any movement.

"So, if I had to offer a theory, I'd guess that thing is an egg sack, which means we might have a lot of little spiders to worry about if we aint carful".

{over radio}"Y'all might want to think about priming those cannons"
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:09:47 pm by The Lupanian »
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 24, 2017, 10:39:48 am »

"Chitin armor anyone?"
"There's a what now in the where? Did you guys find the booze stash and neglect to inform the rest of us? The spirits won't be pleased when I'm denied of spirits!"

Okay, first I'm going to explain my "drill the shit out of it" plan over the radio. Then I'm going to take a really close look at that glowing orb, seeing if there's any movement.
"So, if I had to offer a theory, I'd guess that thing is an egg sack, which means we might have a lot of little spiders to worry about if we aint carful".

"Ok, now I definitely know you're baked already.

On the off chance that you're not though, I'd rather not deposit the drill right in the arms of an angry arachnid. Bring the cannons to bear maybe, but even then I'm not sure if we wanna jeopardize our home away from home.

Once we're done building here, maybe I could come over and project myself to gather information?"

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 24, 2017, 10:50:18 am »

"Alright, I see your point, but we have to do something. I say we try to extract Bargthor, then leave. But we should have the cannons ready in case it follows us and be ready to move the bore if we get in trouble, and we need a plan for if there really are hundreds of little spiders in that orb thing."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 24, 2017, 11:19:28 am »

"Alright, I see your point, but we have to do something. I say we try to extract Bargthor, then leave. But we should have the cannons ready in case it follows us and be ready to move the bore if we get in trouble, and we need a plan for if there really are hundreds of little spiders in that orb thing."

"You mean that sassy robutt that was annoying people? Did he get himself into trouble?

Yeah, just get him out of there and retreat for now, I don't think we wanna fight multi-legged freaks on their home turf unprepared and uninformed. Either way, I'll try to get a hold of the pilot and ask her to be ready to rumble or rout should the need arise."

A quick jog up to the bridge later.

"Excusez-moi Madame, are you busy? It seems our impetuous comrades have already put themselves into a bit of a pickle. Something involving titanic spiders? Either way, could you perhaps place the bore such that it's cannon is aimed in the direction of the light, while also prepping it for quick takeoff? I'm sure we'll be fine as-is, but, as they say, complacency killed the kakapo."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 24, 2017, 03:36:24 pm »

Uncross my eyes and have another look. Peer into the darkness: can I see any more of the thing? Are the legs behaving like it knows we're here?

Also, any treaure anywhere, apart from the totally innocuous glowing orbs?

Spoiler: Verne (click to show/hide)

"We're basically here for treasure, right? Think that thing's corpse would count? We could try to just nab a bunch of glowy orbs and run, though for some reason I feel like shooting anyone who seriously suggests that."
One wheel short of a wagon

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 24, 2017, 06:25:16 pm »

Bored. At the mercy of the driver. Nameless will tell Eddy that that is not how socks work, and anyway a spatula would be much quicker.

*Here be character sheet*

*Here be numbers and explanations*
*here be descriptions*

Sialia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 24, 2017, 08:10:31 pm »

Per request of the crew, pilot the bore such that the cannons are pointing at the scary giant spider things, then keep the engine running in preparation for a quick escape when needed

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #340 on: January 24, 2017, 08:59:50 pm »

Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind.
-Johannes Brahms-

Keep building

Cool, thanks. Is there more that you could already tell beyond 'mechanical stuff', or is that up to us to discover?

"Chitin armor anyone?"

Go stick your dick in it!

Okay, first I'm going to explain my "drill the shit out of it" plan over the radio payphone. Then I'm going to take a really close look at that glowing orb, seeing if there's any movement.

{over radio}"Y'all might want to think about priming those cannons"
Find 66/nice sheet

You explain your plan of "FUCKING CHARGE IT" to the guy on the otherside of the radio before squinting at the glowing thing. You can't tell anything about it other than that it is shiny.

Uncross my eyes and have another look. Peer into the darkness: can I see any more of the thing? Are the legs behaving like it knows we're here?

Also, any treaure anywhere, apart from the totally innocuous glowing orbs?

Spoiler: Verne (click to show/hide)

"We're basically here for treasure, right? Think that thing's corpse would count? We could try to just nab a bunch of glowy orbs and run, though for some reason I feel like shooting anyone who seriously suggests that."

41/90 Find
Hmm. The thing which certainly looks to have spider legs but might not actually be a spider doesn't seem to have noticed you. It seems to be behaving in exactly the same way as when you first saw it. Its moving very methodically and even almost mechanically.

The glowing orb looks like it might be worth something, but its kind of hard to tell. It might be a big mass of glowing fungus or it might be a crystalline elevator; really no way to tell without getting a closer look.

Per request of the crew, pilot the bore such that the cannons are pointing at the scary giant spider things, then keep the engine running in preparation for a quick escape when needed

Via what path? Drop down into the river tunnel and walk up to the cave mouth? Or drill into the cave from above as other guy said?

Also that ball is gonna touch down next to Dev whenever he posts again so you may or may not wish to wait till then.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 24, 2017, 09:07:22 pm »

Alright guys, I have an idea, but I want to know what everyone thinks about it before I do It. How about I maneuver the crawler up to the spider thing and then we see what happens. Hopefully it won't notice us if we are out of range of it's orbs.

Sifeebt, apparently being the only person to hear this (quietly whispered?) question, decides to respond.  "No.  Stupid.  Spider's web should burn, not trap."

*Utterly irrelevant boldtext*
Spoiler: sigh (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 24, 2017, 09:31:55 pm »

Nameless continues to nothing.

*Here be character sheet*

*Here be numbers and explanations*
*here be descriptions*
Stats: Four
State: See Form-A

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 24, 2017, 09:36:24 pm »

Alright guys, I have an idea, but I want to know what everyone thinks about it before I do It. How about I maneuver the crawler up to the spider thing and then we see what happens. Hopefully it won't notice us if we are out of range of it's orbs.

Sifeebt, apparently being the only person to hear this (quietly whispered?) question, decides to respond.  "No.  Stupid.  Spider's web should burn, not trap."

*Utterly irrelevant boldtext*
Spoiler: sigh (click to show/hide)

((Interesting sheet you have there. :P ))

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 24, 2017, 10:43:00 pm »

"I strongly suggest that we start moving the crawler towards the engine heart, and we could also get a closer look at whatever these things are."

Try to get a better look at the orbs while we move in, I'm going to focus on trying to tell what is it attached to the ceiling by? And is there any movement?

Spoiler: "Razorblade" Rede (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 70