Green Dragon
- 1 (10%)
Nondescript Platypus
- 6 (60%)
Something else that's been posted
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Metal Gear Suggestion V: The Phantom Forum  (Read 5112 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Metal Gear Suggestion V: The Phantom Forum
« on: December 29, 2016, 08:24:40 pm »

Paralogue 1: Rise of the Diamond Dog

The helicopter flies at a moderately low altitude, whipping through the hot, dry Afghanistan air. You sit inside it, strapped to the seat, with no actual guarantees that the Intel team was right about this area being deserted. Your missions aren't as important as Snake's, after all, and the intel team is only so big.

Garnet Canine, your current handler back at Mother Base, speaks to you through your earpiece, hooked up to the shorkDroid device in your pocket.
"Your mission this time is to collect intelligence. Big Boss is currently preparing to infiltrate the Serak Power Plant and retrieve Dr. Emmerich, and to support him, we need intel on troop distribution in the area. Normally we leave intel gathering to the Intel Team, but unfortunately we just don't have enough manpower or funds to cover that much ground right now, so we'll be getting our notes from the Russians themselves. Your mission will be to infiltrate the Eastern Communications Post, find the Intel File we're looking for, and scan it with your shorkDroid device.

The Russian military of course has a presence at the base currently, but it's a skeleton crew at that site right now due to conflicts in nearby areas. With that said, if you're discovered, the enemy has plenty of reinforcements nearby. So you'll want to keep this as quiet as possible."

"Hey squaddie," shouts your pilot, "which landing spot did you pick, again? And while we're at it, what was your name?"
Oh good, you got one of the E-rank Support Team members as your helicopter pilot. It's a wonder you haven't crashed yet with one of these derps in the pilot's seat. At least he seems to know how the Diamond Dogs tech works, because he sends a formal Landing Zone request to your shorkDroid.

"Please choose a landing zone.", your earpiece says. You take out your shorkDroid.

Spoiler: OOC stuff (click to show/hide)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Gear Suggestion V: The Phantom Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 08:40:44 pm »

Our codename is Howling Wolf. We are also male. We picked the LZ to the south of the objective.

((This is awesome and all, but dammit, once again am I feeling the phantom pain I got from losing my 90h save in MGSV.))

EDIT: Before the poll added new options, there were at least 3 votes for Howling Wolf. Just a reminder.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 02:06:50 pm by Hawk132 »
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 08:45:15 pm »

Code name: Hanging Bat
LZ: Southern
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 12:35:16 am »

(( holy cow, the FG&RP forum goes through posts quickly  :o ))
(( I put up a poll to vote on the name, by the way. Feel free to continue making suggestions, it is a suggestion game after all. ))
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 03:59:48 am »

Green Dragon
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 07:50:03 am »

Southern LZ seems best, I guess. Although maybe a member of the combat team would be more used to the RED DANGER LZ?

Our name shall be Nondescript Platypus. Or something else.
Long Live United Forenia!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 12:45:12 pm »

Southern LZ seems best, I guess. Although maybe a member of the combat team would be more used to the RED DANGER LZ?

Our name shall be Nondescript Platypus. Or something else.
I vote for this name instead. Subtract 1 vote from bat
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 03:50:27 am »

You quickly select the southern LZ.
"Landing zone selected." The helicopter soon starts flying lower.

"Now, I know you've been through training already, but since this is your first mission abroad for Diamond Dogs, standard procedure is for me to walk you through the first few steps.

There are several things to bear in mind during missions: your own capabilities and equipment, your enemies, and your surroundings.

You've only been assigned minimal equipment for this mission, but with your stealth and CQC training, you should be able to get through okay. Your loadout includes an assault rifle and a tranq pistol, both with suppressors. Just remember, we're not using Hollywood suppressors; even silenced guns still make noise. You can check the Spoiler: Skills and Equipment section for more details.
Your enemies, however, won't bother with the non-lethal approach. If any of them spot you, they'll open fire immediately. Once they yell "Contact", the Combat Alert is on. Even if you evade them after that point, they'll be on alert until the end of your mission.
As for your surroundings, the first thing you might notice is that it's daytime."

It's only 05:59 and the sun is, indeed, already beating down oppressively hard. Looking out the helicopter's window, you can see heat waves coming off the rocks in the disctance. Thanks for the reminder.

"Good daytime visibility means that you're highly visible, too. Run around in plain sight like an idiot, and they'll be able to spot you from a long ways away. Crouch-walking and crawling aren't the most dignified ways to get around, but it's a lot better than getting shot.

Looks like you're almost on-site, so I'll have to cut this short. Go ahead and make a >Call command if you need more advice on something.
Good luck, uh... Nondescript... Lusty Unicorn Battipus... what...
Uh, whatever your name is."

You sway slightly in your seat as the helicopter turns, making a sweeping motion as it nears the ground. You unbuckle yourself from the seat, throw the helicopter door open, and jump out into the wide, open world of Afghanistan. As soon as your boots hit the ground, the helicopter tilts forward and flies away. You're on your own now.

The intel team seems to be on point today, at least. They even marked out the enemies' distribution for you.
Wait, didn't Garnet Canine say there weren't many enemies in the area? Something's fishy. Probably the intel team placed the enemies on the map by throwing darts at it. Gah.

There are two ways to approach the Communications Post: the road, or a high path through the mountains. The high path can be accessed by climbing a crack in the cliff, or by following a slower path from near the road.
The road will provide less cover and have more enemies, naturally, but also has better visibility. You'll be able to see enemies from a distance, probably before they see you. The high road provides better cover, but worse visibility. Which path to take?

Spoiler: Skills and Equipment (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 04:35:51 am by Shoruke »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 05:32:58 am »

>Ignore both roads and go pick flowers instead. Why else would the Intel team mark them?

You take the low road and I'll take the high road. Via the path, though. No need to break a leg trying to climb a cliff. I mean, we're not some sort of videogame protagonist, we can't just bunny hop our way up a mountain.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 06:18:37 am »

Try to bunny hop our way up a mountain
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 11:11:42 am »

Do the smart thing and move carefully through the nearest road...then do something stupid and wait in the middle of the road while wearing the box. Observation via box, man.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 11:37:02 am »

You decide to take the high path. No sense going climbing unnecessarily, so you decide to walk there. You set off along the road at a brisk jog to where your map marks the start of the offroad path. As you go, you take out and unfold your cardboard box to protect yourself from the heat and prying eyes.
It probably won't do much to keep me hidden when I'm running around in the open, you muse to yourself. At least there are no enemies in view yet.

After a minute or so, you stop and check your map. Yup, this is the spot where the offroad path starts. Still no enemies in view from here, but according to intel, you'd start to see them around the corner of the hill if you kept going north. You double-check your map again. This IS the path... right? It doesn't look like a path, so much as a part of the landscape that happens to have less grass patches. Still, ahead to the west you can see where the terrain curves upwards, probably leading to your destination. You start running again.

As you cross the slowly-ascending path, you take off your cardboard box, fold it back up, and put it away... and when you look back up at your surrounding, you notice that there is a pair of wolves sniffing the air ahead! You stop in your tracks, and both of them snap their heads towards you. You wait for a tense second, but they don't seem to be charging at you.

What do you do?

Spoiler: Skills and Equipment (click to show/hide)

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 02:37:47 pm »

Distract the wolves away from you by chucking the magazine away from you, then book it towards the path and the base.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 02:50:29 pm »

If our skill is at the level of a semi-competent player, we should easily be able to headshot both wolves with tranqs. And then fulton them out. Assuming the awareness of guards is at the same level as in the game.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 04:34:46 pm »

If our skill is at the level of a semi-competent player
I believe it is explicitly stated that it is not. We are not Snake (or one of his clones, or a cyborg, or whatever else). We are Some Guy (or rather, Nondescript Platypus), an average grunt who I doubt is good enough to headshot a single wolf in a stressful situation like this, let alone two at once.

Is this far enough from the base that they wouldn't (distinctly) hear gunshots? If so, it sucks for those poor pooches, but I think we have to shoot them ):
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5