Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Veneficium - Tactical and Strategic Mage Duelling  (Read 868 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Veneficium - Tactical and Strategic Mage Duelling
« on: December 27, 2016, 06:39:02 pm »

Hello All,
I've been working on a new game, and I've got to the point where I'd like to share it and ask for your feedback.

So I wanted to combine two things with this;
Firstly, real time tactical duelling - not twitch based, but making quick tactical decisions and having to skillfully execute them rather than just button mashing or queuing up orders. This means memorising spell incantations and reagents, working out your enemies weaknesses and balancing resources. Spells are cast using syllables - so the 'q' key makes the syllable 'quen' and the 'e' key makes 'ekto' (etc, etc.), you have to chain these together to cast spells and some spells require reagents too.

Secondly, a heavy RPG strategic layer - whilst duelling is the main part of it, you'll have to craft reagents, explore/trade/research for spell books, deal with events and develop your character. This feeds directly into the duels, and you'll have to prepare carefully for each battle - do you spend time trying to work out your opponents weaknesses or do you spend the time on crafting new reagents? Maybe changing the weather might be a better use of your time?

So far I've only got the battle system in place, but it works well in a basic format:

Combat is split into alternating turns of 'preparation' and 'conjuration'. You cast wards, heal and take potions in the preperation stage and then fire off an offensive spell in the 'conjuration' stage. Each stage is 3 seconds long, and the spell/ward/whatever is cast at the end of the 3 seconds. These turns repeat until there's a victor. In the picture above, you can see the enemy stats and your own stats, however the enemy stats and wards will be obsfucated in the final game - you'll see something like 'An black orb surrounds Merlin' or 'One-Eye looks badly shaken by your spear of light!' etc.- you'll have to work out what these spells/effects are, and that'll be part of the challenge.

I initially tried to do it completely real time, but that was just a mess. However I did it, (mana recharge rate or spell cool-downs) it ended up being button mashing and the player had no time to actually read/do any thinking. This way seems good, but I'm open to suggestions.

I'm having a bit of trouble compiling it, but it works pretty well now in a basic form - I'll get it uploaded shortly, but I'd love to know your thoughts and suggestions at this stage.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
Re: Veneficium - Tactical and Strategic Mage Duelling
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 07:11:54 pm »

Looks cool, what programming language are you using?
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Veneficium - Tactical and Strategic Mage Duelling
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 07:27:25 pm »

Looks cool, what programming language are you using?

Thanks. Python + libtcod. In my opinion the combo is just great - Python is just generally a nice language, and with libtcod you don't need to worry about the graphics, but can still make something that looks appealing. I'm planning on having spell animations and stuff in the space below the turn timer.

On top of that, changing the font (and therefore the whole look of it) is as easy as just swapping in another file and changing one line (which I'll config out to a txt file) - this is kinda important in a text heavy game, especially as it allows players to scale up or down depending on their setup.

I'd be very interested if anyone has a really good...magicy...looking font (256x256) that's readable. I've experimented with quite a few and it's difficult to find something that looks readable and stylish.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.