Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to get the raws of the randomly genned beasts out of a save?  (Read 927 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The wiki said I could compress a save and open world.dat but 1. .dat files are just gibberish symbols when I open them and 2. I couldn't find said file, the closest I found was a world.sav which....doesn't open..

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

You want world.sav

world.sav is a binary file, so you won't be able to get useful information with a text editor.

AFAIK the data is either DEFLATE compressed ASCII blocks with simple headers or raw uncompressed ASCII data embedded in the midst of binary header information (which it is depends on the "compressed saves" init setting), in any case there is a perl script around somewhere that should unpack them.

One tool that may work. It looks kinda old though, so it may not work anymore.
The script I mentioned earlier
A PHP version
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 07:02:19 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

The first one listed would need to be compiled with Go. Probably not something you want to do.

The second one needs a Perl interpeter installed on your system. On Linux you probably already have one, on Windows you would need to track one down and install it. Not fun.

The third one would require PHP. If Per would be a problem to install PHP would be hell.

If you aren't good with computers your best be would be to PM Quietust and ask for help extracting the info you want (he wrote the extraction scripts, so he knows what to do).
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

Well, stick around and read as much as you can. After a while you'll be able to call yourself an expert and answer questions for other people :P

OK, OK You will probably have to pick up a lot of things from other places too...

On a more serious note: Raws from a large save generated a few versions ago are available, that may not have exactly what you want, but it may help...

RPC Raw Dump (by Meph)

Trainzack

• Bay Watcher
  • The universe is, and we are.
    • View Profile

You can get at the uncompressed raws if you change the last line of init/init.txt from [COMPRESSED_SAVES:NO] to [COMPRESSED_SAVES:YES].  After loading and saving, you can then open world.dat with a text editor, although some text editors might not be able to read it. I know that Notepad++ can, though.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you, when I have my old laptop back from having it's hard drive copied (so I can put the data on my new one) I'll be sure to try that

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

You can get at the uncompressed raws if you change the last line of init/init.txt from [COMPRESSED_SAVES:NO] to [COMPRESSED_SAVES:YES].
Er, I think you've got that backwards...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Trainzack

• Bay Watcher
  • The universe is, and we are.
    • View Profile

Er, I think you've got that backwards...

You know, I just might've.