Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The Magitocracy of Aerowell OOC  (Read 8086 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: The Magitocracy of Aerowell OOC
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2017, 12:56:32 am »

Would it be possible to name a someone who isn't a blood relative as one's heir, for example an adopted child? I'm sure it'd be scandalous before and after succession and thus would have political consequences, but do game rules allow it?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2017, 01:51:37 am »

Would it be possible to name a someone who isn't a blood relative as one's heir, for example an adopted child? I'm sure it'd be scandalous before and after succession and thus would have political consequences, but do game rules allow it?

It certainly could be possible, but they'd be a non-mage.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2017, 05:25:17 am »

How much would it cost/require to raise a unit of soldiers?
Long Live United Forenia!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2017, 09:22:51 am »

I'm not sure how you had planned to do this, but writing a good constitution from scratch is harder than it sounds. The shortest constitution in the world (Monaco's), is 3814 words long according to Wikipedia. Unless someone is ridiculously inspired, here are a few ideas:
  • We could decide on a government form and some general principles, leaving the actual text of the constitution unwritten outside the game. A codified constitution would still exist in-game, but it wouldn't be quoted directly by the players.
  • As above, but the constitution is made of uncodified principles in-game as well as out of it. This is called a constitutional convention.
  • We could copy-paste the constitution of a real country and switch the names.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2017, 11:56:37 am »

I'm not sure how you had planned to do this, but writing a good constitution from scratch is harder than it sounds. The shortest constitution in the world (Monaco's), is 3814 words long according to Wikipedia. Unless someone is ridiculously inspired, here are a few ideas:
  • We could decide on a government form and some general principles, leaving the actual text of the constitution unwritten outside the game. A codified constitution would still exist in-game, but it wouldn't be quoted directly by the players.
  • As above, but the constitution is made of uncodified principles in-game as well as out of it. This is called a constitutional convention.
  • We could copy-paste the constitution of a real country and switch the names.

Yeah, I aiming for the general principles/bullet points and then let the rest of the constitution be unwritten. Really the point is to get some form of structure from you guys so I can work the game/plot around that system.

Right now it's basically: you all show up, don't have a lot to talk about, and then leave. I'd like to make it more structured so that the council phases make sense.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2017, 12:20:19 pm »

I think we just describe it in vague terms, letting us quote (or have quoted at us) the names of various sections but not their actual content. For example (and this is only an example, I would not recommend actually using it), we could say the constitution contains an article guaranteeing "Freedom of Religion", without writing down all the details.

Some actual articles we might want:
  • The right to rule of the eight mages and their descendants. (we don't want anyone replacing us)
  • A number of clauses restricting our potential to be tyrants. (because a "no tyrants" clause in a constitution always works. Heh heh heh. It should keep people happy.)
  • The establishment of a single code of law for the entire country. (unless we want federalism? in which case;)
  • ORThe establishment of eight provinces, each with their own code of law, each ruled by one of the eight mage-noble houses.
    • IN WHICH CASEThe requirement that each province's constitution abides by any rules set forth in the main one.
  • A right to fair trial, regardless of standing. (people will like this, and it constrains the power of the other nobles by preventing them from abusing the legal system)
  • The right to petition the ruling council. (people will do it anyway, and nothing says we have to act on what they ask of us)
  • The restriction of private military forces. (preventing other nobles (or one of us) from building up such a large army that they can threaten the country)
  • The establishment of a parliament, made up of representatives of the mage-nobles, the other noble houses, the church (which I assume exists?), and any major guilds- in roughly equal numbers.
    • The ability for parliament to suggest new laws, though they must be ratified by the ruling council.
    • The requirement for new laws passed by the ruling council to be opened to discussion in the parliament first.
    • The ability for parliament to veto laws passed by the ruling council if they assemble a 2/3rds majority.

Yeah, I aiming for the general principles/bullet points and then let the rest of the constitution be unwritten. Really the point is to get some form of structure from you guys so I can work the game/plot around that system.

Right now it's basically: you all show up, don't have a lot to talk about, and then leave. I'd like to make it more structured so that the council phases make sense.
Er. What sort of structure are you looking for? Just an outline of how we should discuss things? Or like a codified system of "Person A brings up item X, Person B seconds item X, item X is now officially on the agenda"

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2017, 12:47:13 pm »

Er. What sort of structure are you looking for? Just an outline of how we should discuss things? Or like a codified system of "Person A brings up item X, Person B seconds item X, item X is now officially on the agenda"

A very informal version of the second example. Basically a set of tools to bring issues before the council, to call a vote (and whether that vote is simple majority or not) and that sort of thing.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2017, 01:36:22 pm »

Some actual articles we might want:
  • The right to rule of the eight mages and their descendants. (we don't want anyone replacing us)
  • A number of clauses restricting our potential to be tyrants. (because a "no tyrants" clause in a constitution always works. Heh heh heh. It should keep people happy.)
  • The establishment of a single code of law for the entire country. (unless we want federalism? in which case;)
  • ORThe establishment of eight provinces, each with their own code of law, each ruled by one of the eight mage-noble houses.
    • IN WHICH CASEThe requirement that each province's constitution abides by any rules set forth in the main one.
  • A right to fair trial, regardless of standing. (people will like this, and it constrains the power of the other nobles by preventing them from abusing the legal system)
  • The right to petition the ruling council. (people will do it anyway, and nothing says we have to act on what they ask of us)
  • The restriction of private military forces. (preventing other nobles (or one of us) from building up such a large army that they can threaten the country)
  • The establishment of a parliament, made up of representatives of the mage-nobles, the other noble houses, the church (which I assume exists?), and any major guilds- in roughly equal numbers.
    • The ability for parliament to suggest new laws, though they must be ratified by the ruling council.
    • The requirement for new laws passed by the ruling council to be opened to discussion in the parliament first.
    • The ability for parliament to veto laws passed by the ruling council if they assemble a 2/3rds majority.
I like these. You should have Hera suggest them in-character and Victoria will respond accordingly.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2017, 02:13:47 pm »

I'm a big fan of the plan suggested above, but I'm going to add a few suggestions here:
*The establishment of a tiered justice system, with low-level courts for petty offences and higher-level courts for cases of high treason.
*The establishment of governmental departments (inquisition, justice, trade, foreign affairs, etc.).
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2017, 11:19:16 pm »

Because it may have been unclear: The admiral major secretary does NOT represent the paladins or the nobles. Just the military.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2017, 01:20:16 am »

Posting to signify that I have been watching with interest for some time now. Won't post a sheet since the game is full up though.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2017, 04:50:42 am »

*snip*
I like these. You should have Hera suggest them in-character and Victoria will respond accordingly.
It wouldn't really make sense for Hera to come up with a fully-fledged constitution on the fly. I think we should wait until the next meeting to do our constitution-writing.
I can suggest the general idea, though.

I'm a big fan of the plan suggested above, but I'm going to add a few suggestions here:
*The establishment of a tiered justice system, with low-level courts for petty offences and higher-level courts for cases of high treason.
*The establishment of governmental departments (inquisition, justice, trade, foreign affairs, etc.).
Yeah, that sounds good.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2017, 12:28:44 pm »

A while back someone requested a bit of information about each country. I have determined that the following information is what would likely be commonly known by the average citizen of Aerowell.

Aerowell: A temperate land once ruled by a lineage of tyrannical kings and queens. In the year 1000 an angel smited the last of the kings and gifted several nobles with magical abilities so that they may rule and protect the kingdom. The capital city is also named Aerowell, but is most commonly referred to as Aerowell city, the capital, or the city. It is the only city of note in the country, but several villages and towns dot the countryside. The climate is temperate, leaning towards tropical near the southern coast. Forests and plains make up the majority of the landscape. There are few dangers in Aerowell, wolves and bears are the most common large creatures.

Mycatha: A semi-tropical paradise. Humans have ruled this land since the dawn of time. There are several cities and towns throughout this land. While it is smaller than Aerowell, its tropical climate has allowed a large population to grow here. Each city has its own ruler and operates as a city state. The use coin as currency. The land is not without dangers. Large beasts hunt the less populated areas. Dangerous and poisonous plants are common.

Xickille (Pronounced Xik-ill-lee): A strange land composed almost exclusively of bogs and swamps. There are several poorly documented reports of natives to the area, but none of them yeild any real info. It is clear however that the natives are not humans. There a great many dangers here. Swamp beasts of all natures live here. Some first hand reports of traumatized explorers indicate that magical creatures may exist here.

Zanzerwild: A dark and dangerous jungle. Passage is largely impossible. Tribes of non-humans rule this land. Beasts are common and various. High biodiversity, low survivability.

Falasee: The land of elves. It has a long history which has been well documented, but is known almost exclusively by interested scholars and researchers. The layman may know one event: The Elvish civil war. The country split into East and West Falasee, mostly due to a blood feud between two types of elves. The West conquered the East and the Eastern elves were exiled. They took many ships and fled into the open ocean. Some landed on the Archipelago of Canassans, but most found refuge in the area now known as East Falasee, which, ironically, was far west of West Falasee. Relations between the two species of elves has never recovered.

The Archipelago of Canassans: A collection of tropical islands surrounding the Isle of Canassans. Each island is different and is largely isolated from the others genetically speaking. As such, each island has its own inhabitants, dangers, and treasures. The island of Canassans, also known as the island of trolls among sailors, is the most well known of the islands. It has an indigenous race of mortals, which are referred to as trolls by outsiders. It is unknown whether or not this is an offensive term to the inhabitants, but reports indicate that it likely is. Some elves have managed to eek out a living on the norther coast of the Isle of Canassans.

The Empire of Hykar: The Empire of Hykar dominates the various islands throughout the world, with the exception of the Archipelago of Canassans. Little is known about their homeland, culture, or foreign policy. Occasionally Hykarian merchants (or smugglers) will appear at ports with various strange and foreign items. It seems that the ruling and most populous race among the empire are humans, but there has been so little exposure to the Empire that this cannot be said for certain.

Orcish Wastes: A large area of wastelands has been claimed by orcish warlords. Centuries ago Wicklewind reached all the way to the Averok Mountains, but the sudden appearance of Orcs forced them to retreat to the west. Little is known about this unusual and warlike race by the common folk. Scholars will tell you that they have a colorful and interesting culture.

Deadlands, the Resistance of Prax, and the Averok Mountains: Little is known about either of these areas except for the report of one man who claimed to have escaped from a terrible event in the deadlands. The report is several centuries old. It states that a terrible force overtook the country of Prax and only a small area was able to keep the dark forces at bay. The man, who was exiled from the Resistance of Prax for crimes unknown, said that he had survived because he had attempted to travel through the Averok Mountains instead of trying to pass through the deadlands and Zanzerwilds. He brought with him tales of a race of humanoids living within the mountains, which many conspiracy theorists have claimed that this is the lost race that disappeared from history centuries long past. It has spawned rumors, spanning centuries, that dwarves live within the Averok Mountains. All other attempts to find any civilization in the Averoks have found almost nothing.

Nothing is commonly known about Primdwayne, Wicklewind, the Windlands, Frarbaal, the Desert of Wonders, or the Nevermelt.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2017, 07:01:03 pm »

Moving to action phase in a few hours. Feel free to go ahead and PM me an action if you want to get ahead of the game (literally  :P).*

* This is all dependent on whether or not you want to take the Admiral's offer. If there is opposition to it, say so soon.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2017, 01:30:00 pm »

The right to rule of the eight mages and their descendants. (we don't want anyone replacing us)
We do want a clause allowing new players/mage houses to replace in.

I'd like to see one of us as chairman, to make council turns go more smoothly.

I think I'd like to have one stronger player who can tax and raise troops from the others, responsible for larger projects and responding to disasters or wars. They'd get the capital city, and possibly the remnants of the royal army (Or maybe not. Depending on how many there are, I'd like to see them broken up to use as bodyguards and a core for each of us to train new soldiers).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6