Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The Magitocracy of Aerowell OOC  (Read 8069 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: The Magitocracy of Aerowell OOC (0/6)
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 05:24:26 pm »

Hendrick with necromancy and chloramancy.
Victoria with light and animation.
Jean with animancy and binding.
Karl with healing and earth magic.
Hera with chloramancy and weather magic.
Plus characters made after that:
  • Apollo: Binding, Demons
  • Bryn: Lightning/Fire, Blood
  • Nagash: Death, Binding
  • Anna: Darkness, Demons

Another matter: After reading the sheets again, I get the image that Anna and Victoria are foils to each other. Did you do that on purpose, Micelus?

Nope. To tell you the truth, I only read what schools each character had and decided to fill in what seemed missing.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Magitocracy of Aerowell OOC (0/6)
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2016, 02:32:55 pm »

Ok, I've just decided to include all players. Our starting line-up is a follows.

Victoria de Miroir: Lumomancy and Animancy (But French)
Jean Merragius: Animancy, Binding
Karl Cheerheart: Healing, Geomancy
 Hera Harinus: Chloromancy,Caelumancy (weathermancy)
Apollo Oakleaf Dierand of House Lionheart: Binding and Demomancy
Bryn Merrick: Elemental (lightning, fire), Hemomancy.
Anna Bella  "La bailarina '  de Sevio-Coroņez: Umbramancy, Demomancy
Nagash Sanguinis: : Necromancy, Binding

A few notes:
In light of a gamebreaking exploit, Blood Sacrifice can only be used to finish spells that you've at least half researched. So, if its a 10 year spell, you must study at least 5 years on your own before being able to kill yourself finishing it. Furthermore, because it uses lifeforce, undead and immortals may not use this trait.

Chloromancy and Caelumancy (weathermancy) are now acceptable fields of research.

Economic traits only apply to the person with them. You cannot transfer your money to someone with the interesting interest trait and then have them transfer you back the money + interest next turn.

@Demonic Spoon: Animancy is basically the school of golem making. Its the art of creating magical constructs, automotons, and enchanting objects. If you wanted to reach immortality, there are several ways. Lichdom is the holy grail of necromancy. Its also the holy grail of animancy (transferring your soul and consciousness to an automoton instead of a phylactery). Using hemomancy you may be able to become a vampire. Liches and vampires can/already exist in this universe.

If I missed a question somewhere, please repost it and I will answer it promptly. If anyone else has any more questions, post those as well.

Turn 1 will not have an info phase (as the information regarding the turn will be included in the OP of the IC) and will begin with the council phase later today. Thats not true, there will be an info phase.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 03:05:47 pm by Roboson »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Magitocracy of Aerowell OOC
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2016, 04:18:55 pm »

@Demonic Spoon: Animancy is basically the school of golem making. Its the art of creating magical constructs, automotons, and enchanting objects. If you wanted to reach immortality, there are several ways. Lichdom is the holy grail of necromancy. Its also the holy grail of animancy (transferring your soul and consciousness to an automoton instead of a phylactery). Using hemomancy you may be able to become a vampire. Liches and vampires can/already exist in this universe.
Interesting. As the intro text notes us as "one of the first of our kind," I'm assuming that other divine/infernal beings granted magic or magical gifts at the same time. We're going to be seeing some initial instability in foreign powers.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2016, 04:22:41 pm »

foreign powers
Speaking of which, I'd like to know more about them, such as why East Falasee is west of West Falasee. I'd appreciate if the turn 1 infodump included a few basic details of the other countries' cultures and political climates.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2016, 07:46:28 pm »

@ Roboson

Does Resurrection exist? Would it be the holy grail of Healing Magic, or a combination of two or more magicks?
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 08:11:41 pm »

With this:
Necromancy: The control of undead bodies. Bodies are meant to hold souls, but after the soul leaves, the wiring is all still there. Necromancy hotwires the corpse and controls it.  Note: Its not received well by peasants.
I'm really expecting there to be something in Binding for collecting souls on death. Probably fairly easy with a "die in the ritual circle" variant, harder for the "die anywhere" vari-

... Huh, no. If immortality via golem is end-tier animancy, souls must be particularly tough to work with? Unless it's the magic transference that's the problem. I'm assuming it's not a difficulty add-on for working with your own soul, since we're controlling dynasties.

I'd really expect immortality by golem to be easier than going lich by necromancy. While liches tend to be re-created at their phylactery when destroyed, the golem would still leave the caster vulnerable. Unless that's remote-control golems, but that's probably a balance problem. Imagine Cortex Command, but as a dynasty, switching between spell-casting golems, each with their own mana reservoirs.

You know, that's way more impressive than my own plans to just not die with age-reversal healing magic. It's not even more practical for extorting money from rich merchants and nobles.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2016, 09:54:18 pm »

Interesting. As the intro text notes us as "one of the first of our kind," I'm assuming that other divine/infernal beings granted magic or magical gifts at the same time. We're going to be seeing some initial instability in foreign powers.

Minor magic users, including other humans, have popped up across history. Some are even active in the world today. However, very few have ever had the potential to become full fledged mages.

foreign powers
Speaking of which, I'd like to know more about them, such as why East Falasee is west of West Falasee. I'd appreciate if the turn 1 infodump included a few basic details of the other countries' cultures and political climates.

It will likely come about in the second turn info-dump due to the way I have set up the story. Also turn one won't have all the functions (like economy) for the same reason. It will make more sense when you see the turn.

@ Roboson

Does Resurrection exist? Would it be the holy grail of Healing Magic, or a combination of two or more magicks?

Every school of magic has a few big spells that could be considered holy grails. They're spells you spend a lifetime preparing for, but can achieve incredible effects like immortality and incredibly powerful effects.

True resurrection does exist, and both necromancers and healers are capable of it. However, anything dealing with a departed soul is incredibly hard to do. Mortal souls are exceptionally slippery in comparison to other types of souls.

With this:
Necromancy: The control of undead bodies. Bodies are meant to hold souls, but after the soul leaves, the wiring is all still there. Necromancy hotwires the corpse and controls it.  Note: Its not received well by peasants.
I'm really expecting there to be something in Binding for collecting souls on death. Probably fairly easy with a "die in the ritual circle" variant, harder for the "die anywhere" vari-

... Huh, no. If immortality via golem is end-tier animancy, souls must be particularly tough to work with? Unless it's the magic transference that's the problem. I'm assuming it's not a difficulty add-on for working with your own soul, since we're controlling dynasties.

I'd really expect immortality by golem to be easier than going lich by necromancy. While liches tend to be re-created at their phylactery when destroyed, the golem would still leave the caster vulnerable. Unless that's remote-control golems, but that's probably a balance problem. Imagine Cortex Command, but as a dynasty, switching between spell-casting golems, each with their own mana reservoirs.

You know, that's way more impressive than my own plans to just not die with age-reversal healing magic. It's not even more practical for extorting money from rich merchants and nobles.

It uses a phylactery like a lich. But instead of using your corpse, you use a golem. You could transfer your soul to a golem, which is a little bit easier, but then you run into the problem you mentioned above.

IC will be up later. Its actually been done for hours. I am just finishing up your character sheets (and by that I really mean I'm transferring your starting spells from my notes and making sure I get all the rules right) so that you have them for reference during the turn. That will basically be the entire info phase though. Turn one is going to be light on my end (or at least its frontloaded lol).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:58:15 pm by Roboson »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2016, 01:03:53 am »

The IC is up: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162089.0

Each player has received their Infophase PM for this turn. Its basically your character sheet, but has your starting spells, units, and holdings included. If something is wrong with your character sheet (Like I forgot to check for edits) let me know.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2016, 08:54:13 am »

So, what are the kingdom's views on slavery? Are there serfs or are all peasants able to move as they see fit?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2016, 09:01:52 am »

Lyrozan was a tyrant so he probably was into slavery, but it's a revolution and we may build whatever sort of government we want.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2016, 09:10:03 am »

I think my starting healing magic causes cancer :(

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2016, 09:12:49 am »

Lyrozan was a tyrant so he probably was into slavery, but it's a revolution and we may build whatever sort of government we want.

Mercantile beuarcratic syndicalist despotism.

Ya know ya wanna.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2016, 09:39:12 am »

It's a revolution and we may build whatever sort of government we want.
Lets not get too wild to start off with. It is a revolution, but we want to be sure we're the ones in control at the end (for the good of the realm, of course).
We should grant the peasantry slightly more freedom- enough that they know things are changing for the better, but not so much that they think they can do whatever they want. Giving the peasants too much freedom too quickly will just lead to anarchy.

Now, once we have established our complete control over the country, we can start thinking about major changes to the way things work.

Well, tell people that your magic only delays the sickness/injury, granting them a few more years of healthy living. It's just in the way you spin it- with the right bullshit mystical explanation the peasants will love you.

Long Live United Forenia!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2016, 09:44:52 am »

Oh, but just use it again then to cure the cancer. Everyone gets to be Deadpool!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2016, 01:22:32 pm »

Info Dump:

Everyone should have Minor Understanding of Magic Lines and Minor Understanding of Magic Circles (If yours says Minor Understanding of Lines and Circles as one thing, thats because I was getting tired of typing it out twice) so I'm going to talk a little bit about those and how magic works.

Creating a magic line or circle is technically a spell, but is is really just a component of another spell. To do so, one must simply draw a circle in the air while focusing their power. Doing so will leave a small trail of power for as long as you continue focusing and channeling your magic. Other mages can see your magic lines and circles as they glow slightly. Mortals can see them if you draw them especially thick and bright, but they normally wont see the magic lines for small spells. Magic lines and circles can be placed onto objects in any mundane means as well (paint, inscription, thread, blood, ect. ect.), but will not activate until charged by a mage casting the spell they correlate to. This means that they can be activated by any mage, as long as the mage knows the spell.

Magic lines work by moving power. They take power from one place (a magic circle, a mage, or an enchanted object) and connect it to a destination or target.
Magic circles work by containing power. When using a magic circle in a spell, you place power within it, and it cannot escape except in the particular way you've specified. This causes the magic to slowly escape and an effect to be achieved. If a magic circle was to be broken, then it would cause the magic to be released (in a small explosion) and the spell to fizzle.

Experimentation with magic lines and circles is often a good place to start research, but can also be dangerous. You may quickly find that you can modify your spells by rearranging their lines and circles or chain spells together in some manner, but you may also find that some spells must be put together in a certain way or they may have terrible and unforeseen consequences.

Research is fairly straightforward. You will describe an experiment that you would like to try and the result you are aiming at. Then I will tell you what happened, and if you learned anything new from it.

Example: I know the spell Frozen Shard. It is achieved by drawing a magic circle with a magic line facing a direction. This causes an icicle to form and fly in the direction of the line. I'm going to chain several magic circles and lines together and see the results. I'm trying to get an especially long icicle to form.
Result: When all the lines face the same direction and connect the circles, each circles actives simultaneously. This causes one long icicle to form. Learned that you can increase the length of a frozen shard by chaining several together.

Now that is all fine and dandy for trying to make a new spell out of an old spell, but if you want to try and make a new spell, you're going to have to take a few shots in the dark.

Example: Same ice mage. I'm trying to freeze an enemy's blood, but I have no idea how hemomancy works. I'm going to take a small animal, a rabbit maybe, and draw a new magic circle over it. The intention behind the circle will be to freeze the blood of the rabbit.
Result: Through several trials, all of which fizzled, you finally get something to happen. One particular magic circle, when charged with enough energy, sucks the heat out of the air beneath it. This caused a layer of frost to coat the rabbit, and after several minutes of excruciating pain and agony, the rabbit froze to death. You learned Minor Heat Siphon!

Also, should turns be brought down to be a month instead of a year? It's starting to seem that a year per turn may be too long a timespan to really be able to run a government (and also an extremely long time for running a single experiment or casting a spell).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6