Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: The Magitocracy of Aerowell OOC  (Read 8087 times)

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Magitocracy of Aerowell OOC (0/6)
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 08:12:38 am »

Character Name: Bryn Merrick
Physical Description: Bryn is a towering beast of a man, with blood-red eyes and skin hot to the touch. He isn't attractive, possessing a rugged face and burned skin. He wears simple clothing, and avoids metal adornments.
Genetic traits: Red eyes, golden hair, high body heat.
Nobility Traits: Military Mastermind, Fertile.
Magic Start: Elemental (lightning, fire) [primary], Hemomancy [secondary].
Holdings: N/A.
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 09:43:01 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First action: Use Blood Sacrifice to instantly develop a spell that will bind my soul to a gem for later use. After that, use my Blood Sacrifice ability to instantly spend all of my remaining years to accelerate research (to completion) on a grand tome of necromancy, which will contain all manner of necromantic (and a few binding) spells, such as ones that can raise the dead, blight huge areas of land, drain the life from entire armies to heal the caster or grow plants, extend the life of the caster, turn mortals into vampires and liches, etc.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 01:16:16 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 10:23:01 am »

Character Name: Anna Bella  "La bailarina '  de Sevio-Coroņez
Physical Description: Of middling height and a dark brown complexion, Anna bears herself in a way most unseemly, sometimes speaking with common parlance rather than the courtly language expected of her. At other times one can hear the noble speak in verses and stanzas, as if she were at a recital rather than in a council. Physically, she is also missing her pinky on her right hand and bears many scars. One would expect that of course from one who should not have inherited.  After all, she is a bastard.
Genetic traits: Completely lacking in body hair. Pinky on right hand is shed upon puberty.
Nobility Traits:  Merchant Penchant ('Rob em' with silver...'), And Carry a Big Stick ('...and rob em' with steel'.)
Magic Start: Umbramancy [Primary] ((Heh, daylight robberry) ((, Demomancy [Secondary] ((Come hither ye imps of coal and soot, come and fill the coffers with a great many loot))
Holdings: N/A

Also, suggestion: Enchantment as a magic school. n. The creation of magical items with a limited amount of uses that must be periodically charged by an enchanter, All effects are derived from other schools.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 12:23:17 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 10:40:08 am »

I like how great minds thought alike when choosing our characters' names. Everyone picked either a Romantic or a Nordic name.

First action: Immediately use my Blood Sacrifice ability to spend all of my remaining years to accelerate research (to completion) on a grand tome of necromancy. Resume play as my son.
Assuming you're even allowed to do this without horrible consequences, you'll probably have to explain what sort of spells said tome contains. Spells are researched one at a time, after all. Plus the trait description says 'a year' implying a limit of once per time period, whether that be a year or a lifetime.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:44:37 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 10:45:59 am »

PTW!
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 10:52:04 am »

I like how great minds thought alike when choosing our characters' names. Everyone picked either a Romantic or a Nordic name.

First action: Immediately use my Blood Sacrifice ability to spend all of my remaining years to accelerate research (to completion) on a grand tome of necromancy. Resume play as my son.
Assuming you're even allowed to do this without horrible consequences, you'll probably have to explain what sort of spells said tome contains. Spells are researched one at a time, after all. Plus the trait description says 'a year' implying a limit of once per time period, whether that be a year or a lifetime.
I thought that it meant that it gave you a 1:1 ratio of years spent to years of research.

Even if it's restricted to being used once per year, it's still ridiculously good, considering that it allows you to research spells twice as fast for basically no consequence (we're probably never even going to get to turn 40 or so when the consequences of burning your life away actually matter). Heck, even if it was a 5:1 ratio, it'd be good.

If we all legally/technically put our money in the possession of someone with the interesting interest trait, will it basically give the trait to everyone?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:59:46 am by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 11:03:44 am »

for basically no consequence
There's a reason I didn't take Blood Sacrifice.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 12:16:12 pm »

First action: Immediately use my Blood Sacrifice ability to spend all of my remaining years to accelerate research (to completion) on a grand tome of necromancy, which will contain all manner of necromantic spells, such as ones that can raise the dead, blight huge areas of land, drain the life from entire armies to heal the caster or grow plants, extend the life of the caster, turn mortals into vampires and liches, etc. Resume play as my son.
Genius. Slightly tweaked, it even works RP-wise -- Take binding as a secondary focus, break up the time spend burning through your life-force, and bind your soul down so you can be revived as an independent undead later.

If we all legally/technically put our money in the possession of someone with the interesting interest trait, will it basically give the trait to everyone?
Shifting money around every year would tie up our funds, and gives the GM free reign to hit us with some exciting "random" events (especially since we're getting PMed hidden info anyway). I assume that going through the effort to set up a national banking system to avoid that could just as easily be used to give us all interest.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 12:32:35 pm »

First action: Immediately use my Blood Sacrifice ability to spend all of my remaining years to accelerate research (to completion) on a grand tome of necromancy, which will contain all manner of necromantic spells, such as ones that can raise the dead, blight huge areas of land, drain the life from entire armies to heal the caster or grow plants, extend the life of the caster, turn mortals into vampires and liches, etc. Resume play as my son.
Genius. Slightly tweaked, it even works RP-wise -- Take binding as a secondary focus, break up the time spend burning through your life-force, and bind your soul down so you can be revived as an independent undead later.

Shifting money around every year would tie up our funds, and gives the GM free reign to hit us with some exciting "random" events (especially since we're getting PMed hidden info anyway). I assume that going through the effort to set up a national banking system to avoid that could just as easily be used to give us all interest.
We have a binder already- assumedly, he can bind my soul to something. We needed a plant mage, anyway.

Only my starting character can use blood sacrifice, right?

What happens if he achieves undeath and/or immortality (or acquires a way to extend his lifespan without technically having an infinite lifespan at any given moment) and tries to use blood sacrifice?

I edited an alternate (non-exploitative) trait selection to my sheet in case the GM disapproves of this, by the way.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 12:48:05 pm »

We needed a plant mage, anyway.
What am I, chopped liver?

The game has not even begun to begin and you lot are already planning both an industrial and banking revolution, and trying to break the game (which I suspect will either be not allowed or have some very dire consequences).

Jolly good, carry on. I was planning an agricultural revolution myself, so it all works out!
Long Live United Forenia!

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 01:13:20 pm »

We needed a plant mage, anyway.
What am I, chopped liver?

The game has not even begun to begin and you lot are already planning both an industrial and banking revolution, and trying to break the game (which I suspect will either be not allowed or have some very dire consequences).

Jolly good, carry on. I was planning an agricultural revolution myself, so it all works out!
Oh, you're a plant mage?

I'll switch to binding, then.

Can we get a list of who has what schools?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 01:17:09 pm by ATHATH »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 01:43:05 pm »

Hendrick with necromancy and chloramancy.
Victoria with light and animation.
Jean with animancy and binding.
Karl with healing and earth magic.
Hera with chloramancy and weather magic.
Plus characters made after that:
  • Apollo: Binding, Demons
  • Bryn: Lightning/Fire, Blood
  • Nagash: Death, Binding
  • Anna: Darkness, Demons

Another matter: After reading the sheets again, I get the image that Anna and Victoria are foils to each other. Did you do that on purpose, Micelus?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 02:12:14 pm »

Blood sacrifice certainly is interesting. Becoming an immortal undead probably disallows it's usage, so I'd probably end up with something like managing to develop a lich ritual, burning up the majority of my lifeforce researching cool spells, become a lich, then get smited by angels for blasphemy. Then my successor repeats the process.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 02:20:55 pm »

I don't think becoming a lich would be enough to lose the Mandate of Heaven, as long as you don't try to use it to try to become an immortal god-king or the like. The purpose of the Magocracy is to avoid there being a single tyrant, not necessarily to be paragons of virtue.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2016, 03:00:26 pm »

I don't think becoming a lich would be enough to lose the Mandate of Heaven, as long as you don't try to use it to try to become an immortal god-king or the like. The purpose of the Magocracy is to avoid there being a single tyrant, not necessarily to be paragons of virtue.
What the point of becoming a lich if you don't go mad with power and try to usurp god? Like, you gotta live a little man, you know what I'm sayin?  :P

But yeah, we'll see how the magical system turns out and if Roboson decides to nerf things or not. And if my sheet even gets accepted since we've actually had more submissions than the character limit I think.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:02:36 pm by Demonic Spoon »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6