Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Surface City Tips  (Read 4166 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surface City Tips
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2016, 08:01:36 pm »

Oh, they looks very good in stonesense.
I also like to build surface cities, but I don't usually use visualizers, so I stick to flat design. But I'm not a creative person, all my rooms are bland 3x3 squares with a bed. ::)
I also recruit marksdwarves and set up the barracks in the center of the city so they can shoot at the keas.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2016, 08:30:01 pm »

I'm thinking of embarking on a flat plain, and then digging a giant quarry into the whole Embark, leaving the shape of a fort as I go.

Afterwards I might fill the hole up from a river, have a nice underwater city.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2016, 02:16:20 am »

Wooden wall grates make great fences for your crop/livestock fields. Also balcony railings.

Oof, this is brilliant, can't believe I never thought of this

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2016, 02:46:42 am »

Depends a little on tileset and picked wood. Most woods have black as secondary color, but black-cap will grab gray, which can give quite the different - and sometimes beautiful - effect, especially with partial transparency effects.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 02:48:40 am by Fleeting Frames »

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2016, 06:42:19 am »

Depends a little on tileset and picked wood. Most woods have black as secondary color, but black-cap will grab gray, which can give quite the different - and sometimes beautiful - effect, especially with partial transparency effects.
Aesthetic value may vary but functionally they're perfect.
Block movement while still being destructible and allowing line of sight. They'll keep your cows fenced in but an invader can still kick/burn them down.  :)
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2016, 11:06:33 am »

On the topic of defense . . .

I think one tile of floor jutting out from your wall isn't enough. I've climbed trees in adventure mode and you seem to be able to move one tile out and hold a rim. That's the reason a fortification isn't enough. Those have floors, I just checked their page on the wiki and it said they implicitly had floors on the bottom, just not the top. You can use fortifications at the top of your wall as long as you have a one-tile wide ring of flooring between them and the wall first. Just put a roof on top to make sure your people don't dodge over the fortification.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2016, 11:18:10 am »

I think building plain walls and then carving them into fortifications gives you topped-off fortifications (as a hang-over, literally as turns out, of the original wall-top). But check wiki and/or experiment to make sure I'm correct, as I'm speaking from memory, right this moment.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2016, 12:46:31 pm »

I like to have any surface constructions made of smoothed cast obsidian with the only entrance to underground through the casting. I embark on clay preferably or forest to build a crappy surface fort/ mold then force my dwarves to suffer 10-15 years on the surface before they can even dig underground.
Current fort's 100x100 12z clover shaped structure took 15 years before the last of the clay mold was broken away.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2016, 12:55:53 pm »

On the topic of defense . . .

I think one tile of floor jutting out from your wall isn't enough. I've climbed trees in adventure mode and you seem to be able to move one tile out and hold a rim. That's the reason a fortification isn't enough. Those have floors, I just checked their page on the wiki and it said they implicitly had floors on the bottom, just not the top. You can use fortifications at the top of your wall as long as you have a one-tile wide ring of flooring between them and the wall first. Just put a roof on top to make sure your people don't dodge over the fortification.

Peculair, but I've tested in arena mode and found that floors as an overhang seem to be impossible to climb up. In in literally, no option appears in the move menu.

Adding a fortification absolutely ruins it though, regardless of whether it was built as such or engraved from a wall.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2016, 02:50:08 pm »

Trees are different. If you couldn't hold onto branches from below you'd have some trouble climbing one :p

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2016, 03:02:54 pm »

Ah, there's your problem. Tree-climbing works differently from walls. That leads to another tip:

Trees are the enemy. Destroy them. And make as sure as possible that none can grow too close to EITHER side of a wall, especially if climb-proofing is part of your defenses.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2017, 08:42:21 pm »

I would suggest a look at the book Castle. Its part of a 3 volume set of sort of young adult books dtailing the construction of castles, cathedrals, and a roman town.

First order of business is basic shelter. Build out of wood if you have wood to reasonably spare. This allows your mason to build up a stock of blocks while your miners dig stone AND dig a moat. Next to that moat build a wooden wall. This is, at its simplest form, a palisade. You will possibly have time to make a gate in it. Or perhaps a drawbridge of wood. You can make a tower or two at these corners.

When your mason has a sufficient supply of blocks, start building walls for a barracks. Make this a strong point. Your keep and town walls will be further from this. If you paln correctly you end up with wards within your town walls and with ways to delay or stop invaders.

*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2017, 07:51:34 am »

I would suggest a look at the book Castle. Its part of a 3 volume set of sort of young adult books dtailing the construction of castles, cathedrals, and a roman town.

First order of business is basic shelter. Build out of wood if you have wood to reasonably spare. This allows your mason to build up a stock of blocks while your miners dig stone AND dig a moat. Next to that moat build a wooden wall. This is, at its simplest form, a palisade. You will possibly have time to make a gate in it. Or perhaps a drawbridge of wood. You can make a tower or two at these corners.

When your mason has a sufficient supply of blocks, start building walls for a barracks. Make this a strong point. Your keep and town walls will be further from this. If you paln correctly you end up with wards within your town walls and with ways to delay or stop invaders.

David Macaulay wrote quite a few more books like this.  Castles is my favorite!  There is also Mosque, Pyramid, Underground, Unbuilding, Mill (great info on how to build small dam's, Ship, and the masterwork The Way Things Work!

With the new (to me) climbing and tree mechanics I have realized that I can no longer make one thick walls.  I need to make 3 thick walls with a cross section of Wall, Floor, Wall.  This will allow me to build as high as I want without the inside of the wall looking like a giant stack of shelves.  The inner passages don't have to be walkable once construction is complete, too bad I can pile in fill dirt.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.
Pages: 1 [2]