Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farming Outdoor Crops Undeground  (Read 406 times)

Inn Dvergr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Farming Outdoor Crops Undeground
« on: December 19, 2016, 05:06:05 pm »

I was wondering if I could grow outdoor crops underground, but with a hole to the outside above the crop to let sunlight in. Also, are glass floors a thing?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Farming Outdoor Crops Undeground
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 05:12:46 pm »

Yes.

You can make glass block floors, but they are exactly as transparent as lead ones. Fortunately for farms, that does not matter: once a tile is exposed to sunlight and cold outside, it stays exposed - the only building in game that actually needs unobstructed path to open sky is windmill.

For seeing things on z-levels below, you need either grates, bars, downstairs or hanging windows - which have different levels of impassibility for non-light things, so use as appropriate.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 06:10:33 pm »

Yeah, it works. I tend to put in a glass ceiling for roleplaying purposes, and call it a greenhouse. Totally impenetrable "outdoor" farming. Just be careful a tree doesn't spawn and go right through the bloody glass floor. Not sure if that still is a thing, but it was when multitile trees first arrived.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 02:55:24 am »

Saplings are blocked from maturation if the level above them is blocked, so a floor or tree branches will block them. Bridges, however, do not block saplings from maturing, which can result in unexpected blockage of passages.

My standard tactic is to channel out a 13*13 area and build a floor above. The area below the floor is then used for outdoor crops as well as a pasture and beehive and (quantum) refuse stockpile placement. Access tunnels are then dug to control access to the courtyard (the first tunnel has to be completed before the last tile of the roof is placed, of course).