Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: SNES Classics  (Read 6223 times)

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SNES Classics
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2016, 03:35:38 pm »

Wild Guns
Super Fire Pro Wrestling X
Ninja Warriors
Ganbare Goemon series (Mystical Ninja, mostly the second one)

I'll also second Seiken Densetsu 3, mind boggling how replayable it is.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2016, 04:41:48 pm »

I'll add these to the list:

Ghengis Khan 2: Clan of the Gray Wolf (mini-turn-based-CK2/EUIV)
Madden '97/98 (not bad NFL games)
PGA Tour 96 (golf. why not?)
Jack Nicklaus Golf (better 3D, but slower screen updates)
Civilization (even with crappy controls, it's still Civ)
Simcity 2000 (ditto, but with less scenarios)
Killer Instinct (coz combos)
Rampart (still surprisingly fun)
Super Offroad (anything with nitro....)
Stunt Race FX (real 3D racing on your snes! Bad but cool)

I thought SNES had a good Mecha game, but I can't remember what it was. It wasn't Cyber Empires (wish it was)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 06:58:19 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2016, 05:05:04 pm »

I think what spoils me on a lot of these SNES games is that so many were adapted from Arcade uprights.

I mean, Super Offroad is a great game. But it's even better in the arcade.

Oh and that reminds me......

ROCK 'N ROLL RACING. *guitar riff* God I loved the shit out of that game. Who doesn't like racing in a pan-galactic race league, upgrading your cars with better lasers to kill off your opponents?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2016, 05:13:58 pm »

Secret of Mana

Bahamut Lagoon

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2016, 05:26:00 pm »

I think what spoils me on a lot of these SNES games is that so many were adapted from Arcade uprights.

I mean, Super Offroad is a great game. But it's even better in the arcade.

Oh and that reminds me......

ROCK 'N ROLL RACING. *guitar riff* God I loved the shit out of that game. Who doesn't like racing in a pan-galactic race league, upgrading your cars with better lasers to kill off your opponents?

Yeah. I find the best snes games are slightly worse versions of arcade games or are pc/multi-platform ports. It's the game that's good, not really the console. Which is fine these days. It lets me play them on my phone without messing around with mame or dosbox.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:28:41 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2016, 10:13:03 pm »

Tetris attack deserves to be on that list, even if I'm the only person who thought it was great.  Who cares that it had absolutely nothing to do with tetris?

Tetris Attack was another case of Nintendo being afraid a game wouldn't sell in North America due to having cutesy anime graphics, so they slapped a more recognizable IP over it.
Panel de Pon = Tetris Attack, Puyo Puyo = Kirby's Avalance, Doki Doki Panic = Super Mario Bros. 2, ect.

Pretty fun game regardless.

I thought SNES had a good Mecha game, but I can't remember what it was. It wasn't Cyber Empires (wish it was)

I can think of three mecha games offhand on the SNES: Metal Warriors, Cybernator, and MechWarrior 3050.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2016, 10:47:08 pm »

Gun Hazard would be another one (plain front mission was pretty great, too, of course). Then there's the SRW stuff, and a handful of other ones, strategy, rpg, and otherwise. Cyber Knight and its sequel were pretty rad. SNES didn't actually lack that much on the giant robot front, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2016, 10:50:35 pm »

Besides the obvious ones (FF2/3, CT, SMW, SoM, Zelda LTTP), allow me to also second Secret of Evermore and Super Mario RPG.

Civilization (even with crappy controls, it's still Civ)

This got me into the series, though I'd probably never play it now.

Simcity 2000 (ditto, but with less scenarios)

This I found completely unplayable, even at the time.  SimCity was fine, but 2000 was garbage, IMO.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2016, 04:36:34 am »

I liked sc2k, but I was playing it on a PC, so, I had a mouse.

I never had a snes as a kid, but played Chrono trigger a few years ago and thought it was excellent. I'm unfamiliar with most of these other games that have been mentioned aside from the Mario ones, and wondering: Which ones are still worth playing today for someone who has never played them?

P.S. I don't really care for platformers, or sidescrolling 2d games in general. They feel so limited.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2016, 04:49:14 am »

I liked sc2k, but I was playing it on a PC, so, I had a mouse.

I never had a snes as a kid, but played Chrono trigger a few years ago and thought it was excellent. I'm unfamiliar with most of these other games that have been mentioned aside from the Mario ones, and wondering: Which ones are still worth playing today for someone who has never played them?

P.S. I don't really care for platformers, or sidescrolling 2d games in general. They feel so limited.

A Link to the Past is the classic 2D Zelda game. It's pretty dope, and a lot of the things I said about Final Fantasy earlier also apply to LTTP. Also re-mentioning Final Fantasy because they're my favorite SNES games.

I actually like SNES Mortal Kombat games, even the censored first one. You gotta play against a human though because the computer cheats like a motherfucker.

I know you don't like platformers but you're doing a serious disservice to yourself and the SNES if you don't try Super Metroid. It's one of the must-play games of all time in my opinion. Sometimes, the popular opinion is popular for a damn good reason.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2016, 06:39:14 am »

I don't like to start in the middle of a story and have no idea what is going on, so I tried playing Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, and Metal Gear, but liked none of them, so I never reached the ones people say are good. vOv

P.S. The only platformer I can think of that I liked, for any system, is stealth inc 2. (And yet I still played through all the nes and snes Mario games, despite not really enjoying them and having to abuse save states to get anywhere on the early ones)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:49:40 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2016, 08:33:41 am »

Uh. For what it's worth, at least metroid and LoZ are generally pretty self-contained. Either that or involving serious continuity dickery such that "middle" doesn't exactly apply. You're not missing anything if you go straight to Super or LttP. Honestly, cross-game continuity/multi-game plot/history/etc. isn't exactly common... ever. But especially during SNES et al times, so far as I can recall.

... as for the test of time question, most everything I mentioned, at the very least, I've played in the last five years or so and enjoyed. Good chunk of the stuff other folks have noted, too. Different strokes for different folks, but most of the things I've seen brought up so far are still pretty solid, imo.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:35:51 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2016, 08:57:05 am »

Ah, okay, cool.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2016, 12:07:34 pm »

Uh. For what it's worth, at least metroid and LoZ are generally pretty self-contained. Either that or involving serious continuity dickery such that "middle" doesn't exactly apply. You're not missing anything if you go straight to Super or LttP. Honestly, cross-game continuity/multi-game plot/history/etc. isn't exactly common... ever. But especially during SNES et al times, so far as I can recall.

This statement feels weird given that Super Metroid is a direct sequel of the original Metroid.

The difference is more that they outright tell you what occurred in the previous game so there is absolutely no continuity lockout. (and the info is just... who is the last boss of the first game... which you probably already know)

Zelda though yeah... you never have to worry about Continuity... In fact while there is continuity (BARELY! as the vast majority of it was invented after the fact) to even see connections you REALLY have to buckle down deep.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2016, 12:49:51 pm »

Ah nostalgia, Stuff I could not get enough of on my actual snes:

Final Fantasy 6 [3](2nd best final fantasy)
Final Fantasy 4 [2](my first videogame RPG)
Chrono Trigger
Metal Warrior (awesome vs mode, never beat it)
Star Fox
Megaman X
LoZ Link to the past (Still the best Zelda game)
Super Metroid (Still the best OFFICIAL Metroid game, AM2R beats it out)
Lufia 1 and 2
Secret of Mana (Never beat it solo, always played it in it's entirety multiplayer)

Stuff I found much later and emulated:

Final Fantasy 5 (3rd Best Final Fantasy, yes I did buy it when it came available)
Bahamut Lagoon
Tactics Ogre (Thought that was PS for a sec, then I went into my zsnes folder to double check.  Good graphics for a snes game.)
Chaos Seed
Seiken Dentetsu 3
Romancing Saga 3

(oh and for those curious, FF9 is the best FF game)
Oddly one classic game I hear thrown around a lot is the donkey kong country games.  I don't know what it was but something always seemed off about those games to me.  I think it was the artstyle.  Because of that I never played past the first few stages.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 01:05:46 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4