Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: SNES Classics  (Read 6221 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: SNES Classics
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 10:01:42 pm »

It's... probably worth noting it is possible to play (some) fan-tranz'd games on an actual SNES. I don't know how it's done, but it's doable. Some of 'em it's not really possible, though.

Also, 7th Saga original english release... don't. Just... don't. The version(s) patched back to the original japanese difficulty are fine, but for whatever reason whoever officially localized that game decided english speaking players needed a screwing.

Toady will probably want to skin me alive for this.. But--

There used to be this thing, back in the days of yore, before the age of modchips and other console hacks of that nature--- where you could have a cartridge that contained a big fat EEPROM that you could load up using a computer.  Was the popular "pirate cartridge" solution similar to modchips of the current era.

You can still find them if you look.

(Heads up, this link DOES NOT HAVE OPTIONS TO BUY-- it just describes the options out there, and how they work. I WILL NOT point you where to buy.)

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2015/05/snes-flash-carts-sd2snes-vs-snes.html

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 10:04:55 pm »

I seem to remember even Abandonia links were questionable under forum guidelines....just saiyan.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 10:15:30 pm »

The cartridges DO have legitimate uses, if you are creating SNES games. (Yes, people do in fact make them still as hobby activities. Hardware implementation of the MSU-1 coprocessor in one of the offers is very tantalizing in that respect, as it allows access to up to 4gb of ROM address space on a real snes. That means you can have FMV, and all kinds of perks on a homebrew snes title if you are so inclined. Powerful dev tools.)

Knowing how they work is useful.

I do not know who all might want one of these, or what they would want them for. The information linked does not violate copyright in and of itself (like a link to an abandonware site would)-- it is more akin to a wikipedia page that describes the options available. There are no options to buy, or directions on where to buy.

The implicit question was "How you would play a fan-trans jap title"-- this is how the translation teams do it when not using an emulator. Think of these as dev tools instead of piracy tools, and we are golden.

Again, I dont know, and dont want to know. I am just pointing out what exists. Nothing else.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:26:20 pm by wierd »

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 10:39:56 pm »

The Donkey Kong Country games are cool.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 10:51:30 pm »

I wasn't expecting so many replies!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 11:58:24 pm »

Although I don't think Final Fantasy II (actually FFIV) is anything special nowadays, it blew me away the first time I played it. I played it on an emulator long after the SNES was over with, but it still had the power to suck me in and make me feel the story in a way that's difficult to explain. I got hype for it from the word go. Same with FF3/6. Although I can poke holes in individual scenes or the story as a whole, in the moment, the game becomes more than the sum of its parts.

It's trite to say things are "like Skyrim but X" but I feel like Skyrim is really an apt comparison. I can spend all day poking holes in Skyrim if I feel like it. I can roast Skyrim on its anemic plot, its bland voice acting, its simplified gameplay and nonsensical mechanics. I bitch about Skyrim all the time. However, I still play it for hours on end, because it almost always comes together perfectly to make you think "Yeah, this is a fantasy I'd like to be a part of." That's what early Final Fantasy was all about, in my opinion; taking simple parts and putting them together so nicely that it all seems elegant and intentional.

Have a nice song. It moves me to tears every time. Turn on the English lyrics.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 01:05:58 am »

Most of my favourites have been mentioned, but Super Punch Out is great fun. Many of the fighters are really tricky until you figure them out.

The Donkey Kong Country games are cool.
So much time spent trying to get past one bramble level in DKCII as a kid. Played it through again since and the level wasn't so bad. Great sounds and music. I liked how you could appropriately race through the levels like a nimble ape.

Metal Marines.
That alarm still haunts me. Have recently been looking to see if there was anything similar out there without much luck.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 01:53:20 am »

I never quite got into like my brother did. But it is pretty amazing, watched him play a ton of it. I think it's the style of game that totally deserves a sexy, multiplayer remake today. A anime-styled dystopian future kind of thing. The base building and defense logic was cool. Ordering the mechs around during a strike mission though? That took it over the top.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 03:45:33 am »

I saw secret of mana mentioned, but no mention of dejap Seiken Densetsu 3?!

Very nice soundtrack, nicely polished graphics.

4 hour longplay to wet your appetite

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 05:50:43 am »

Secret of Mana's been mentioned, but Secret of Evermore as well.

Not sure it was popular but 7th Saga is classic nintendo-hard as a JRPG (like Final Fantasy), as opposed to nintendo-hard adventure game like Battletoads or Super Ghouls and Ghosts.

Mega Man 2. Wait, that was NES, wasn't it?

RoboTek!
Uncharted Waters II: New Horizons
Romance of the Three Kingdoms (there's a bunch). It's basically China: Total War.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 06:12:14 am by Niveras »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2016, 10:00:44 am »

SNES was MegaMan X, X2, and X3

IIRC, it was also megaman 9?

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2016, 10:50:49 am »

Nah, not 9. Mega Man 7 and Rockman & Forte (aka Mega Man & Bass). The latter one is also a fantastic addition, though I didn't initially include it in my list as it came too late in the SFC's life cycle to make a big impact.

Another great SFC title that hasn't been mentioned is Der Langrisser. It's very much like Fire Emblem, only with more character customization options at the cost of lighter difficulty. Also, there's Monstania, a short but fun tactics-lite RPG. And finally, Mystery Dungeon - Shiren the Wanderer, which has the merit of being one of the few roguelikes to ever hit console, and it's a pretty good roguelike for its time.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:01:13 am by ShinQuickMan »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2016, 11:11:42 am »

Oh man, forgot Secret of Evermore. For sssshhhhhhaaaaammmmmmmeeeeeeee.

Also I didn't mention Shadowrun for the SNES because, while it's a good game, it's a far cry from the Genesis Shadowrun which is the truer adaptation of the game. SNES Shadowrun is basically a crap low-tech RPG with the Shadowrun IP shoehorned into it. It's got some good Shadowrun styling and story but generally speaking it's a pretty weak game.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2016, 01:25:44 pm »

Mystery Dungeon - Shiren the Wanderer, which has the merit of being one of the few roguelikes to ever hit console, and it's a pretty good roguelike for its time.
Mystery Dungeon games (which are probably the most common console roguelike implementation) actually aren't really that unusual. There's more than shiren on the SNES (the DQ merchant one, ferex, which is also pretty nice), a good handful on the PSX (Chocobo, several more), some on the GBA/DS (Pokemon), and that's just off the top of my head.

There just hasn't been very many officially localized, particularly among the older ones, ehehe.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2016, 01:55:58 pm »

Castlevania IV, so good. The music is just awesome.
And Simearth. I used to let it run all day checking in on it from time to time to see if the dinosaurs finally discovered civilization. I swear I had a game where bacteria became civilized, but everyone tell me it's not possible. I probably imagined it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4