Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: SNES Classics  (Read 6220 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
SNES Classics
« on: December 19, 2016, 04:59:18 pm »

Say we make a "Greatest Hits" for the Super Nintendo.
What do you think would be a part of this line of, well, SNES classics?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SNES Classics
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 05:04:02 pm »

Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy VI, and Chrono Trigger would be my personal top three. So many hours spent playing them, and I still go back to roms now and again for the nostalgia.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 05:06:56 pm »

Terranigma would be my #1 and Chrono Trigger my #2
Two of the best RPGs ever made ever.

My #3 would be Yoshis Island.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 05:32:44 pm »

Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma (sometimes referred to as the Dark Gaia Trilogy) are gems of the ARPG genre and they also really show the maturation of the SNES. (The last one, especially, is one of the last games worth mentioning ever released for the SNES, the others being Harvest Moon and KDL3, below.)

Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Kirby Superstar are excellent platformers (the latter I find to be more fun, but not as good from a critical standpoint); Metal Warriors is also pretty awesome. Mecha where you can (and have to!) jump out and switch units, all of which have unique abilities? AND it even has a vs mode.

And I still consider Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals to be one of the greatest tradtional RPGs ever. One of the optional dungeons is even designed like a roguelike. Though it's kind of buggy, but most of them don't actually matter. (Like the letters in your character's name gets transposed...) Ogre Battle is a fascinating strategy game with a lot of possibilities... which also makes it fall into 'Guide Dang It!' if you're trying to unique characters or special endings.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 05:45:22 pm »

Ogre Battles: March of the Black Queen.

Actraiser.

Metal Marines.

Plenty of others I haven't taken the time to think of.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 06:02:05 pm »

• Ogre Battle & Tactics Ogre
  • Lufia 2
  • Final Fantasy 4, 5, and 6
  • Secret of Mana
  • Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario World
  • Kirby Superstar
  • Brain Lord
  • ActRaiser
  • Breath of Fire II
  • Mega Man X
  • Zelda: A Link to the Past

Many, many others that could get on the list or at least could get an honorable mention. The SNES has a damn good library.

There are also a number of Super Famicom titles, like Bahamut Lagoon and Seiken Densetsu 3, that didn't get an official English release that probably deserve a spot (I know, I know, I listed Tactics Ogre and FF5 on there even though they didn't make it to the US until the Playstation).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 06:07:29 pm by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 06:30:42 pm »

In addition to (most of, IMO) PrimusRibbus' list:
  • F-Zero
  • Donkey Kong Country (1 & 2)
  • Joe & Mac
  • Killer Instinct
  • Mega Man 7
  • Mega Man X2
  • Mortal Kombat 2
  • Super Mario All Stars (plus Super Mario World)
  • Super Street Fighter 2
  • Top Gear

If we're adding SFC games, I'd put Tales of Phantasia, Super Bomberman 5, and Fire Emblem - Seisen no Keifu on that list as well.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 06:40:27 pm by ShinQuickMan »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 07:01:45 pm »

something something chaos seed something

Beyond things above, metal max returns, all the SRW stuff. Romancing saga ones. Live-a-live, mystic ark/7th saga (more the former than latter, unless it's a fixed difficulty version >_>). DQ6 is pretty great. Front mission stuff, especially gun hazard. Probably the megami tensai stuff even though I never managed to force myself through more than like 10 minutes of any of them (me and old-school 1st person dungeon crawlers do not get along). Star Ocean stuff's nice. Friggin' metal warriors and its bloody giant hamster wheel robot of doom. That umbrella platformer thing, the tomato vampire zelda thing, crusader of centy, beyond oasis, that one gundam wing fighting game. Buncha other games mentioned above and not. SNES had a helluva' library. Freakishly massive piles of utter drek, too, but sturgeon was in full effect, ahaha.

Also... yeah. I would be willing to maim someone if it meant a new ogre battle game, and I'm not sure how much I'm exaggerating, there. So long as it was at least as good as the n64 one and I still got to play it. Bloody hell I wish someone would get around to implementing that style of gameplay again. Just... more, newer, etc. Preferably on the PC so I can actually play it... without emulators go away soul nomad I know you exist
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 07:06:48 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 07:28:19 pm »

It's... probably worth noting it is possible to play (some) fan-tranz'd games on an actual SNES. I don't know how it's done, but it's doable. Some of 'em it's not really possible, though.

Also, 7th Saga original english release... don't. Just... don't. The version(s) patched back to the original japanese difficulty are fine, but for whatever reason whoever officially localized that game decided english speaking players needed a screwing.
Ask not!
Ask!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 07:49:32 pm »

the tomato vampire zelda thing, crusader of centy

Twisted Tales of Spike McFang! Crusader of Centy was the Genesis response to Zelda, not SNES. Still, I found it tremendously entertaining and liked playing with the animal combos.

Also, 7th Saga original english release... don't. Just... don't. The version(s) patched back to the original japanese difficulty are fine, but for whatever reason whoever officially localized that game decided english speaking players needed a screwing.

...Is THAT why it was so bloody impossible to play? I remember trying it for like 15 minutes before just throwing my hands up in frustration and shelving it. A lot of games that got difficulty tweaks in localization went EASIER on the US, not harder...
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 08:01:47 pm »

... beyond oasis was genesis only, too, apparently. I have no idea why I thought those two were cross platform.

And yeah, 7th Saga was pretty significantly harder than its original (Elnard -- I can at least understand why the title changed, ehehe). Forget exactly what was involved, but it was like... enemies gaining strength faster/having jacked up stats, your characters stats rising slower, and some other stuff besides (like, ferex, the companion fight things having the CPU version running off the japanese stat progression, where yours... didn't. So they kinda' kicked your teeth in.). It was indeed one of the few localization difficulty tweaks during the SNES era that made things harder for us english speakin' folks.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:10:45 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 08:30:03 pm »

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. Although released exclusively in Japan, it's a really good game, no contest.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 08:52:34 pm »

Tetris attack deserves to be on that list, even if I'm the only person who thought it was great.  Who cares that it had absolutely nothing to do with tetris?

7th saga was outrageous.  I got a bit into that game thanks to an outrageous amount of grinding, savescumming, and more grinding, but I think it just became flat out impossible due to the bizzaro scaling with the enemies.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 09:02:41 pm »

Super Metroid speedruns, and Zelda: Link to the past

Also, dont overlook the original Mario Kart.

If you want brutal punishment kinds of hard, throw in Super Gouls and Ghosts. NO SAVE FEATURE. :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 09:49:49 pm »

Oh yeah, Super Metroid, how could we forget....

Also:

Megaman's Soccer
Star Fox
Sunset Riders
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario RPG
TMNT Turtles In Time (Although it's a poor facsimile of the arcade game.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2 3 4