Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Project MURLOC [Creating a new race] [First time] [Need some help]  (Read 645 times)

UristMcD

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hey all. Made a brief post about this in the MODDING CREATURES + ENTITIES page. But I'm going to make one here just because I have several things I'll be looking for help on.

~~WILL BE UPDATING AS I CAN~~ First post is just about CASTES. If your curious about anything, or need clarification just ask and you shall receive. I have a lot of information on the general race I will be adding as soon as I can. I'm just worried about the CASTE system as it is what makes this race so interesting, IMO.

DESCRIPTION
: The MURLOC is a bipedal, amphibious, semi-intelligent, aggressive race residing along coastlines, lakeshores, and riverbeds. MURLOCs possess bulbous bodies, large mouths lined with rows of sharp fangs, and slime-coated skin. Individuals range in coloration from turquoise to darkish grey, while their heights vary from 3-1/2 feet to 6 feet. Depending on the variety, MURLOCs may lean towards a closer resemblance to frogs or to fish; the iconic green murloc, for example, has  oloration similar to the red-eyed tree frog. Typically found living in tribes near lakes,rivers or coastlines.

Murloc FAITH is strange. Some accounts report that religion plays a dominant role in their society, though they do not revere a single, common deity (to our knowledge, at least). Their religion is then polytheistic, animistic, and even a bit shamanistic. They have rituals involving communication with the sea and its powers, and they worship the water and the powerful entities within it.

LANGUAGE: NERGLISH(PRIMARY- ALL CASTES)
                DWARVEN(JINYU)

TRIBAL SOCIETY: CHEIFTAN

LIFESPAN: 10-15yrs.(SCOUTS)
 35-50yrs. (BLUEGILL,BLOWGILL)
 75+yrs. (DEEPSEA)(JINYU)

*My first priority is creating the caste system because I have the most concerns about it. I feel like creating the creature/entity itself will be easier.

~~Caste System~~

I'd like to give each caste a different description of their looks, but for the most part they are all the same. Castes 4 and 5 have some slight alterations.

1 - The MURLOC SCOUTS:  Smallest size. Shortest lifespan. Fast breeders. Used as disposable military.

These guys are only able to do simple tasks like opening doors, hauling and fighting. They cannot build, craft or do much else. They only eat meat, and can eat bones.

2 - The BLOWGILL SNIPERS: Medium size. Medium lifespan. Good at Ranged Combat. Used as main military. CARNIVORE

These guys are more important military. They can do simple tasks as well, but are also capable of COOK/BREW.

3 - The BLUEGILL WARRIORS: Medium-Large size. Medium lifespan. Good at melee combat. Used as main military. CARNIVORE

These guys are alos important military. They will soak up the damage and are the MURLOCs best line of defense. Capable of simple tasks, can also COOK/BREW.

4 - The DEEPSEA MURLOCS: Medium-Large in size. Long lifespan. Used as primary workforce (woodcutting, mining, fishing, cooking, brewing, etc.) Also glow in the dark. HERBIVORE.

A more important role in MURLOC society. These guys are responsible for mostly all the work around the fort. Being the fastest swimmers makes them the BEST at fishing. They are also able to do more complex tasks. Mining, Woodcutting, Crafting weapons, armor and constructing buildings.
      I wanted a small percentage of these guys to be able to preform minor magic(More ideas wanted for this). Creating a water source, manipulating water

5 - THE JINYU: Medium-Large in size. Long lifespan. Used as Nobles and important roles (Leaders, Artisan, Traders). OMNIVORES

THE most important caste. These guys are what keeps the fort thriving. Being more intelligent and human-like, they are the only ones capable of preforming trades and diplomacy between the other races. They are the nobles, royalty, brokers, doctors, master artisans and everything else that shouldn't be left to the simple minded.   
     I want to have a small percentage of them able to preform magic. Making it rain, increasing the forts mood, weak-moderate water magic. Again, more ideas for for this would be appreciated.

NOTES:

Thinking about giving either ALL or SOME castes the ability to breathe a liquid projectile,or a passive ooze they emit. possibly causing nausea and dizziness with some damage.
     The MAGIC is definitely still just an idea, I need to find some specific spells to copypasta in most likely.

THE WORKSHOPS

Basically, I'd like them to use the pre existing dwarf workshops. If possible, I wouldnt mind adding in the SHAMAN stuff from the ORCFORT MASTERWORK MOD. More ideas for any custom workshops would be nice!

--------------------------------------------

That's all for now. I don't have a lot of spare time, but in my spare time I will be working on this project. Would you guys mind giving me a quick rundown on how to achieve these castes, maybe a template to get me going? I've done a lot of research and have the tags i plan on using, as well as some more information about the race. Which I will post tomorrow hopefully when I get back from work.

Thank you all for your time, whether you've posted or not. I get a great feel from the community surrounding this game.

Sincerly, UristMcQuarterPounder

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
Re: Project MURLOC [Creating a new race] [First time] [Need some help]
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 04:48:50 pm »

These are the spheres:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These have a role in naming things, and I don't know about religion.

These sound like they should fit your race.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Sphere

UristMcD

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 05:30:37 pm »

Ah nice! You know what I'm going for.  I have a few of the spheres for religion, I'm missing a few of those I think I'm going to add now. Thanks for posting all that info for me, I appreciate it a lot.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 08:50:40 pm »

I've never done it personally, but I can give some advice.  Note: Add a ([) to the front of each.
This page will be very helpful: dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Entity_token

On religion:
This is where you'll substitute in those spheres I gave you.

I'm assuming you'll want them to live in hamlets, so this is what you'd do. You can put more options, but this works as a basic thing.
[Setting the default site to] CAVE causes the classic kobold behavior of not showing of on the "neighbors" section of the site selection screen

This is where they'll build cities and start in.

This is where they'll have other settlements (hamlets). This only appears in the dwarves raws as far as I can tell though.

This is the frequency of the biomes that they'll have other settlements (hamlets). You can delete them if they shouldn't settle there.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:18:14 pm by ☼Another☼ »