Yes
- 4 (40%)
No
- 2 (20%)
Coolio
- 4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23

Author Topic: Survival of the Meanest  (Read 37121 times)

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
Re: Survival of the Meanest
« Reply #240 on: January 02, 2017, 10:34:18 pm »

Actions you guys are doing unfortunately have to wait until morning, due to the interrupt.

Julio

You sit by the campfire, finishing your dinner. You get ready for bed, taking off your armor. Elise is already asleep. You take off your helmet when the fire starts to dim. You toss a log on it, thinking that it's dying. It then goes from bright orange to a deep red, like blood. You're taken aback. That color... is the same color as the eyes of a Shadow Wraith. You call Elise awake, and the two of you look around. Nothing presents itself. No Shadow Wraiths, no possessed, nothing. You turn around, but there's nothing.

"Julio, look out!"

You instinctively duck when Elise shouts. Just as you do so, a huge black shadow passes over you. You look up, and see a huge bat-like Shadow Wraith circling your camp, screeching. You load your crossbow, but hesitate to fire - the moment you fire the bolt, you're left nigh defenseless. You draw your flammable bone blade, and beckon for Elise to follow you. It isn't safe here.

You can go to

Han Yu's camp in the rocky field
Fu Qyu's camp in the forest
Somewhere else (specify)

You can also stay and fight if you want (although I advise against it, you'd have to roll pretty high to survive with all your bits intact)

Han Yu

You shove the last of the spikes into the earth with a grunt. Dáelen is asleep, having already shoved in a great deal of the spikes. You kneel down, panting from effort. When you stand up, red eyes are everywhere, and your fire has died without warning.

"Lieutenant!" you shout.

Dáelen awakens, and sees the red eyes. He readies his longswords and growls.

"This doesn't seem good."

Fu Qyu

You're exhausted from bow training, and go to sleep the moment that you empty your quiver for the 23rd time.

"I'm gonna need more than two arrows..." you mumble.

You crash out, exhausted.

~

You awaken to the sound of something moving in the brush. You ready your hunting knife. Sure enough, three possessed goblins stumble out of the woods, wielding quite a few javelins between them. Your fire has turned blood red, and seems to have little effect on them.
You can

Stand and fight
Run to Julio's camp
Run to Han Yu's camp
Run elsewhere (specify)

Caleb

You're moving around with your new leather vestments, finding them to be rather comfortable, when you see a red dot in the distance. One quickly becomes two, then four, then at least twenty. They don't close in, but they don't go away either.
You can

Investigate
Stay put
Make a run for it (specify which direction, the eyes are to the southeast)

Feu D'artifice

You cackle with glee as your fire burns. You aren't so gleeful when it turns blood red, dimming quite a bit. You think you hear shuffling outside the fort, and you peek over your wall. A horde of about fifteen elves with blood red eyes has amassed about your fort. They simply stand there and stare. You're distraught, but you think your wall will hold. Maybe. Hopefully.
You can

Make a break for it (specify which direction, the possessed surround you though)
Wait it out

Dy Lin

The darkness... it's dark. Veeeery dark. You're starting to regret not lighting a fire. You try to sleep, but you can't shake the feeling that something is watching you. You fitfully sleep, but you're experiencing unfounded terror. You finally jolt awake, but what you see only intensifies your terror. A huge creature, about the size of a horse, is watching you with a number of glowing red eyes. It's made of living shadow, just like the ones that murdered everyone you knew. You let out a cry and run, but it easily catches up to you. In a desperate gambit for safety, you duck into a cave.

Hundreds of red eyes light up inside the cave, all watching you. You keep running, going past the unending rows of red eyes. Finally, you think you start to see moonlight coming from around a corner!

An exit!

You redouble your efforts to escape, and round the corner.

What greets you isn't moonlight.

It ripples, almost as if alive. It's so beautiful...

You reach out to touch it. Your hand goes into it, and you feel a calm spreading through your body. You take your hand out, and poke your head inside. It's indescribable. It's both light and dark, lustrous and invisible. A great nothingness filled with millions of twinkling stars stretches for as far as you can see in any direction. You pull your head back out, completely calm.

Ah, so you have found the Rift, mortal... beautiful, is it not?

You feel no panic at this strange voice - all your fear dissipated the moment you saw the thing. You nod as an answer to the question.

LET US HAVE HIM, MASTER!

Very well. Do what you wish.

Dy Lin Wond Ay has entered a trance, possessed by The Collective...

NOTE: You aren't dead, but feel free to create another character. Think of this not as a loss, but rather as a chance to do everything differently. When and if your original character comes out of possession, you may choose which one you want to play.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 02, 2017, 10:38:39 pm »

Name Xrasitas
Class Tinkerer
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 02, 2017, 10:47:16 pm »

"I suppose those are the shadows of the night Gromble and Fu Qyu talked about. I don't think staying would be wise against so many, I need to get to a place somewhat easier to defend."

Kick the fire out if it's lit. Run north to the temple. Set combat mode to run until I get to the temple, then set it to defensive once inside.

Spoiler: Caleb Fenrir (click to show/hide)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 02, 2017, 11:03:16 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Combat Mode: Run, unless Elise is attacked, in which case offensive until she is free.

"Make a break for Han Yu's camp! Stay in front of me so you won't fall behind!"

To Han-Yu's camp, posthaste!
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 02, 2017, 11:54:21 pm »

Name Xrasitas
Class Tinkerer

Xrasitas, you are a Troll! I'll get your character sheet ready in a second.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 03, 2017, 12:52:07 am »

Why does troll tinkerer sound like an oxymoron?
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 03, 2017, 01:06:43 am »

stand and fight.

Spoiler: Fu Qyu (click to show/hide)

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 03, 2017, 01:10:59 am »

Why does troll tinkerer sound like an oxymoron?
Probably because trolls are quite unintelligent in most fantasy worlds and stuff.

Anyways...

Spoiler: Xrasitas (click to show/hide)

This should be an interesting character.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 03, 2017, 01:02:07 pm »

"Let them come, for they shall soon know the wrath of elves! I will cover the walkway; Lieutenant, take down any that manage to make it out of the trench and the stakes. Use your torch if needs be."

Spoiler: Dàelen (click to show/hide)

Fighting Style: Balanced, try to push enemy into the stakes or the trench. Use arc slash if/when there is an opportunity to strike at three enemies at once. Use torch only if things are REALLY BAD (don't wanna set my lovely camp on fire for nothing).

Han Yu stands at the plank, and waits for the tide.

((Elise has a torch, gave to her a few turns ago.))

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 03, 2017, 01:16:38 pm »

I Look for large to beat down trees with.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 03, 2017, 01:19:30 pm »

"Lieutenant, take down any that manage to make it out of the trench and the stakes. Use your torch if needs be."

((INB4 Daelen stabs us both))
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 03, 2017, 05:15:28 pm »

Create wooden spears. Stealthily Throw a lit spear at the collective to light it on fire.
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 04, 2017, 02:00:44 am »

"I suppose those are the shadows of the night Gromble and Fu Qyu talked about. I don't think staying would be wise against so many, I need to get to a place somewhat easier to defend."

Kick the fire out if it's lit. Run north to the temple. Set combat mode to run until I get to the temple, then set it to defensive once inside.

Spoiler: Caleb Fenrir (click to show/hide)

You make a mad dash for the temple. It isn't long until a strange creature, made out of shadows, pounces at you.

Combat log

The impling strikes you in the chest! -4 hp
You try to run away, but fail!
The impling pounces at you, huge claws shredding your left arm! A lot of blood pours out... -6 hp
You try to run away, but fail!
You're bleeding out... -1 hp
The impling claws your right leg! -4 hp
You escape!

You make it to the temple, bleeding badly and in great pain. You find an entrance and don't hesitate to run inside. You make it to a huge room filled with rubble and shattered statues. It's littered with corpses. You start to back out when three small shadow monsters enter the room, shuffling about on their claws. You duck down behind a fallen statue and watch as the abominations search for you. After a few minutes they leave, heading further up into the temple. You dare not move from your hiding spot, even when you see them leave the temple.

Combat Mode: Run, unless Elise is attacked, in which case offensive until she is free.

"Make a break for Han Yu's camp! Stay in front of me so you won't fall behind!"

To Han-Yu's camp, posthaste!

You and Elise start running. Three of the flying Shadow Wraiths soar above you, red eyes glowing. You watch in horror as a pair of the red eyes disappears, and the flying Shadow Wraith becomes nearly invisible in the night. You watch the sky, bone blade at the ready, until you make it to the rocky field. Han Yu is also under attack. A handful of corpses lay at his feet, red eyes blazing still. He sees you, and hefts a wooden gangplank over to you with the help of another elf. Elise staggers across, followed quickly by you. You look around you now that you're in the encampment. Red eyes are everywhere.

This isn't just an attack.

It's a siege.

stand and fight.

You leap at the foremost goblin.

Combat log

You slash possessed goblin 1's throat. A black mist pours out, and the goblin dies! (Extreme critical hit)
Possessed goblin 2 hurls a javelin at you, but misses!
Possessed goblin 3 charges you!
You fire your bow at the charging goblin, striking him in the chest. He seems unfazed...
Possessed goblin 3 slams into you, knocking both of you down!
Possessed goblin 2 hurls a javelin at you. It strikes possessed goblin 3 in the back, but has little effect...
You try to stab possessed goblin 3, but miss!
Possessed goblin 3 hits you with his elbow! -1hp
Possessed goblin 2 charges you!
You stab possessed goblin 3 in the heart, killing him!
Possessed goblin 2 bowls you over!
You are still reeling from your fall.
Possessed goblin 2 strikes at you, but misses!
You stand up.
Possessed goblin 2 kicks you! -1 hp
You stab possessed goblin 2 in the right arm! Black mist trickles from the wound.
Possessed goblin 2 stands up and squares his feet.
You stab possessed goblin 2 in the head, but the goblin still stands.
A black tentacle erupts from the goblin's head, and shoots toward you!
You parry the tentacle, and it dissipates into nothingness.

You look around. More goblins approach...
You can

Fight
Run somewhere

"Let them come, for they shall soon know the wrath of elves! I will cover the walkway; Lieutenant, take down any that manage to make it out of the trench and the stakes. Use your torch if needs be."

Spoiler: Dàelen (click to show/hide)

Fighting Style: Balanced, try to push enemy into the stakes or the trench. Use arc slash if/when there is an opportunity to strike at three enemies at once. Use torch only if things are REALLY BAD (don't wanna set my lovely camp on fire for nothing).

Han Yu stands at the plank, and waits for the tide.

((Elise has a torch, gave to her a few turns ago.))

You await the oncoming attack. Elise, Julio, and Daelen stand by your side. So far, only hordes of the possessed have attacked you, but you doubt that this is all the Shadow Wraiths have to throw at you. The first horde approaches. Many are impaled on the spikes you set up, yet some manage to either evade the spikes or simply use their dead companions as cushion. Either way, a large amount of the enemies pass your initial defenses.

Combat log (Everyone should read this!

You strike a possessed elf in the head, killing them!
Julio stabs a possessed goblin in the chest! A black mist pours forth from the wound!
Elise strikes a possessed goblin in the arm, crushing the limb!
Dàelen swings his longsword in a huge arc, crippling two of the possessed and killing one! (critical hit!)
One of the possessed attacks you, hitting you in the leg with a fist! -1 hp
One of the possessed attacks you, but you dodge!
One of the possessed attacks Julio, but he dodges!
One of the possessed attacks Lieutenant Dàelen, but his armor takes the brunt of the blow.
One of the possessed attacks Lieutenant Dàelen with a short sword, but misses.
One of the possessed attacks Elise, but misses.
One of the possessed attacks Elise, striking her in the left arm! -1hp
One of the possessed attacks Julio with a dagger, striking him in the chest! -3hp
You swing your pike in a huge arc, crippling three of the possessed!
Julio strikes a possessed goblin in the chest! The goblin falls dead!
Elise strikes a wounded possessed elf in the head! The elf falls dead!
The lieutenant swings his longsword in a huge arc, killing one of the already wounded possessed and maiming two others!
One of the possessed attacks you, but misses!
One of the possessed attacks you with a short sword, but misses!
One of the possessed hurls a javelin at Lieutenant Dàelen, striking him in the lower left leg! -2hp
The possessed retreat for now...

You sigh with relief as the last of the possessed retreat, screaming their rage.

DO NOT THINK THIS IS OVER!

A handful of flying Shadow Wraiths circle over them, constantly observing you...

At least there's a break in the attack. You can't sleep, so you figure you might as well do something.
You can do any two of these actions

Repair the spikes and remove corpses from them
Bond with the others, raising their morale
Try to figure out how to use magic
Try to plan an escape route
Try to sneak away and look for Fu Qyu

Create wooden spears. Stealthily Throw a lit spear at the collective to light it on fire.

You start honing pieces of wood from your gate into extremely sharp pieces of wood. After a while, you have 23 of them, and each is sharpened to a deadly point. The horde amassed outside your wall has grown - there are now about 18 of the buggers. You light one of your spears on fire and take deadly aim before hurling the projectile. It doesn't actually hit any of them, but they all shrink away from the light, screeching. You repeat the process, taking down about 6 of the things before the rest retreat. You still have eleven spears left, so you're prepared for if they return.

Of course, they do.

This time, there are only two, but the red in their eyes is fiercer than ever, and a black aura surrounds them.

HOW DARE YOU ATTACK US!

You hurl another flaming spear, but the light turns red as you hurl it. It bounces harmlessly off of one of them.

LET ME TRY NOW, YES?

A number of black tentacles burst out of their eyes and chest and hurtle at you. You quickly light a spear on fire and brace yourself. Seconds before they would have hit you, you twirl your flaming spear, sending a shower of sparks and ember everywhere. The tentacles are struck by this fire, and screech in a most hideous fashion before melting into the darkness. That takes care of that.

You sleep hesitantly that night, but you aren't interrupted again.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 04, 2017, 02:46:55 am »

How many goblins am I facing? If more than three, I'll run. Else, I'll fight again.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 04, 2017, 10:27:42 pm »

Seriously? One reply?

Okay then why not

Han Yu

You repair the damaged spike traps and and remove the corpses from them with the help of Dàelen and Julio. The girl, Elise, volunteers to help, but you decline politely. No child should have to haul a dessicated corpse, let alone see one. You're exhausted, bu you force yourself not to fall asleep, constantly vigilant for the enemy. While you wait you talk with the girl, who seems on the verge of breaking down.

"Are you okay?" you ask, hoping to help her.

She nods.

"I'm... I'm fine. Thank you. I'm just scared."

You didn't want to admit it to her, but you were scared as well. Your chances didn't look that good, considering the size of the horde amassed outside your camp. You force a smile.

"We'll be fine. We have some sort of magic on our side, right? There's no way these evil things can beat that."

"I don't think so. We both know that this is most likely our end. I don't want to die now, not like this."

Elise falls to her knees, silently crying. Blood drips from the wound on her left arm as she tightens her fist.

"We're all going to die." she says.

"Don't say that." you say, helping her to her feet. "We're going to be fine. We're going to all make it out of here alive."

You doubt what you say even as the words escape your lips. You can sense that the girl doesn't believe you either. You give her a reassuring clap on the shoulder before going to talk to lieutenant Dàelen.

"Ah, Captain! I've been planning our defense extensively. I think that if we actually put the gangplank out, we may be able to decrease the number of attackers we have to fight at once! Think about it. Only one can get across at a time, due to how narrow-"

"Lieutenant Dàelen, now is not the time to worry about the battle." you say.

"But-"

"It will only make us more nervous." you say. "Lieutenant, how do you feel?"

"I'm confident in our defenses, and I think that we have a good chance at defeati-"

"Lieutenant, how do you feel?" you ask again, looking him in the eye.

Dàelen hesitates, and you can tell he doesn't want to answer the question.

"I'm scared, Captain. I've never been this scared before in my life. I've been in many wars, but I've never fought an enemy like this. There is one thing I do know, though. A well trained army always sends their weakest division out first, to disorient the enemy and rally their main force. If the prior assault was their weakest force, then imagine what their main force is like."

You shudder at the mere thought of such an army. Possessed soldiers, a horde numbering thousands strong, fighting alongside deadly creatures of the night with power exceeding that of the greatest of warriors.

Your only hope is the magic, and yet you have no idea how to even harness its power.

Fu Qyu

You ready your knife as one... two... four... seven goblins set upon you. You run towards Han Yu's camp, hoping you can find aid there. When you draw near, you're simply met with more possessed soldiers. It seems that they completely surround the camp.

THERE IS NO ESCAPE!

Desperate, you charge through the horde of goblins in your path, slipping through their ranks like a blur. A few clumsy attacks are directed at you, but nothing lands. You clear the last of the horde and start dashing towards the camp. A huge elf with a scar-crossed face readies his longsword, but Han Yu swings a gangplank over to you. You cross a spike-filled trench and enter the camp, panting. Despite having just helped you escape, Han Yu looks defeated. The elf with the huge sword is deep in thought, oblivious to his wounds. Elise is crying, arm bloody, and Julio is is sitting cross legged, head bowed. The scene is a sad one, screaming defeat and helplessness. Han Yu gives you a sad smile, tears glistening in even his hard, steely eyes.

"Welcome to our last stand, friend."

Julio

You sit and think about everything that's happened so far.

So this is how it draws to a close.

You clear your mind, open your eyes, and stand up. Lieutenant Dàelen is planning the defenses with Han Yu. Elise has stopped crying, but you fear that she's had a complete mental snap - she's rocking to and fro on the ground. Fu Qyu is staunching the bleeding from one of his wounds with a strip of torn cloth. You can
Talk to Elise
Try to help Fu Qyu with his wounds
Help with the defense plans
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23