Yes
- 4 (40%)
No
- 2 (20%)
Coolio
- 4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: Survival of the Meanest  (Read 37244 times)

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
Re: Survival of the Meanest
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2016, 10:37:32 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fighting Style: Balanced

Han Yu rests, to heal his injuries.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2016, 10:51:21 am »

[[ I agree again with Ozarck here, I am a fan of a more regimented turn update cycle. So everyone knows what's to be expected of them, and doesn't simply lose out on turns or can prepare for when they're not available. Also Ozarck, it seems Gromble's been compelled to move to the cart with the kooky merchant of destiny, Fu might just be trying to converse with an unconscious man!]]

You return to your camp, glad to see both Hund and Fu Qyu unharmed. However, some force compels you to stagger further away after Fu has treated your wounds (+ 10 hp). You stumble into the rocky field, and get to the cart before collapsing from exhaustion.

[[ Or maybe I'm wrong, dunno if I can act or not at the moment. ]]
I've lost control of my life.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2016, 11:22:18 am »

((thank you for the turn start synopsis. that works pretty well.

Making the actions freeflowing, in a game paced as quickly as this one is, will lend itself to certain players just fine, but to others such as myself, this will make the game even harder to follow. If you are going to have player interaction as a major part of the game play, keeping everyone on the same turn is a must. thus, a more standard turn update shcedule wold be a benefit. be like "I will update at x time. if you haven't posted at that time, I will auto you." That tends to work best, though again, some players are just fine with the more frenetic, unstructured pace. I just think you'll lose out a couple of good players if you do.

I'm only givng my perspective from having played and run these before, so take what you will, and leave the rest :P ))

"All right, Grom? What happened to you?"

Fu will chat with Grom, then will scavenge over in and around the village the goblins attacked, see if he can find any useful stuff that isn't being claimed. If Grom needs to rest, and is willing to part with him, Fu will take Hund along for companionship, but will return him before nightfall.

Spoiler: Fu Qyu (click to show/hide)

I'll take it from you since you've done a lot more of these than me.

And okay what is with the double parentheses

Seriously

Everybody except me is using them, what is this

And you just lost one sinew.
You follow Gromble into the rocky field. He's obviously trying to make it to the cart. In addition to the old man and the elf, there's a human girl sitting by the cart. They're all staring at Gromble - he's no longer covered in blood, but his many wounds are still apparent. He reaches the cart just before collapsing from exhaustion. You look up. Making the bow took quite a while.

Turn 2 of Day 6 blah blah blah!

The girl and the elf quickly try to help Gromble up, but his huge bulk sags downward still. He's fast asleep. The elf then looks at you.

"What happened? Is he okay?"

You explain how you found Gromble, but leave out a few... speculations.

"That is unsettling to say the least..." the elf trails off, allowing the girl to start talking.

"I'm sorry, but who are you two again?"

She looks at you, sizing you up quite literally, and then says,

"And what are you?"

You're rather put off by the fact that the child is large enough to look down on you, and probably even pick you up with a single hand. You feel somewhat vunerable without Gromble, but you steel your nerves and reply.

"What I am d-doesn't matter. What does is getting him to safety."

The old man, who had been watching until now, interrupts.

"Not so fast, now. The man is safe here. We have everyone here from the prophecy except two - the Hunter and the Forager. Now, we need to find the Forager, since the Hunter isn't arriving. Of course, we have no idea where the Forager is, so I think...

I think it is time."

You watch as the man draws a stone box out from his cart. Inside are a number of knives, hacked from stone. You each take one. Conveniently, one of the knives is smaller than the rest, and is a perfect fit for you. You each clutch your knives, looking expectantly at the old man. He empties the rest of the knives from the box, and starts to speak.

"These are the Blades of the Titans - weapons against evil. However, with the passing of time, magic has left our land, and the Blades lost their power. Now, they are dormant, and their strength gone. They are no longer weapons that can defeat the Shadow Wraiths."

The old man put the box in the center of the group. Gromble, now half awake, holds his knife by the tip.

"Cut your palms, and let the blood flow into the box." says the old man.

"These blades are dull as can be! I'd have better luck using the back end of the knife rather than the tip!" says the girl.

To prove her point, she runs the knife across her palm. She is shocked when blood starts trickling from a cut. Everyone else soon follows suit, including you.
-1 hp to Han Yu, Gromble, Elise, and Fu Qyu

When you have finished, the box starts to glow. A number of hidden gears grind loudly inside, and there is a flash of blinding light as your blood, now pulsating with white light, flows back into your cuts. There is a searing pain, but it ends quickly. When it is over, four of the nine blades, the ones you used, have disintegrated.

"Now the power to quell evil has passed to you. I am done with you, now. Return from whence you came, but come back here tomorrow morn."

Confused and tired, you return to camp. If that made you tired even though you were in perfect condition before, it suffices to say that Gromble is not faring well. Hund, who is waiting back at the camp, barks happily when you arrive. You, wanting to get something done before nightfall, go to the battlefield. A battle is raging, and you are easily able to go unnoticed as you search for anything of use.
You get

Elven arrow x 2, bow ammo

You return to the camp and tend to the fire, occasionally checking on Gromble.

Combat Stance: Balanced
Julio gazes at Aloren for a moment.

"You know, I don't trust you a step. Once I mention my pursuit of an elvish criminal, your first response is an attempt to convince me to put myself in a vulnerable state.

But I have more troubling matters on my mind.
"

Julio sighs. He gives up on trying to fit the bone into the armor, and returns it into his inventory.

"She's going to get herself killed. Isn't she.

Sorry for my words just then. I suppose I am tired. I'm too suspicious. It's just... living in the woods, and having to survive, tends to turn you into an animal akin to the ones we hunt to survive.

Watch the camp. If I do not return, assume I am dead, and that the camp is yours.

I'm going to be a guardian angel.
"

Julio checks the snare, then he cautiously prowls through the jungle towards the Old Man's encampment, and watches from afar. He does not make his presence known. He attempts to construct a rudimentary crossbow. He carves the sharp tusk into the barrel and stock of the crossbow, and uses some small sticks from the area to construct the limbs. He uses sinew to construct the strings of the bow. Once that is done, he uses the last bone and both sharp teeth to construct some basic bolts, then tips them with some Northern Prowler Venom.

You labor for a while, and the end result is pleasing.
You lose

Sharp tusk
Sinew x 2
Sharp tooth x 2
Great Northern Prowler venom x 2
Bone

You get

Masterful rudimentary crossbow, lower chance of breaking
Masterful poisoned crossbow bolt, higher chance of critical hit and poisoning
Poisoned crossbow bolt

You watch the happenings in the field from afar. The motley group is hunched over a sort of box. You want to leap out when you see Elise cut herself, but any thoughts of doing so are erased when you see the blinding flash. The group then parts, and you head back to camp and work on smoothing your crossbow. When Elise returns, no words are exchanged.

"Well, with that ... temple thing in the distance, I might want a few supplies so I can look inside a bit."

Forage for material for a few torches staying near the shelter.

Spoiler: Caleb Fenrir (click to show/hide)
You spend a few hours cutting suitable branches from trees, and wrapping them in flammable grasses. The end result is a pile of crude torches that won't burn for long, but will do. You dip the bottoms of the torches in water to reduce their flammability, giving you a place to hold.
You get

Basic torch x 4, unlit

Fighting Style: Balanced

Han Yu rests, to heal his injuries.

After completing the ritual thingamajigger you rest. (Zero effort in writing the description here, sorry)
+5 hp

[[ I agree again with Ozarck here, I am a fan of a more regimented turn update cycle. So everyone knows what's to be expected of them, and doesn't simply lose out on turns or can prepare for when they're not available. Also Ozarck, it seems Gromble's been compelled to move to the cart with the kooky merchant of destiny, Fu might just be trying to converse with an unconscious man!]]

You return to your camp, glad to see both Hund and Fu Qyu unharmed. However, some force compels you to stagger further away after Fu has treated your wounds (+ 10 hp). You stumble into the rocky field, and get to the cart before collapsing from exhaustion.

[[ Or maybe I'm wrong, dunno if I can act or not at the moment. ]]
You sleep, and your wounds start to heal.
+5 hp

Turn 3 blah Day 6 blah!

The old merchant takes his cart and silently departs, careful not to wake Han Yu. He leaves the Blades of the Titans, since they know how to complete the ritual on their own. He is no longer needed. He leaves the forest, whistling the same happy tune he hummed when he arrived. As the shadows start to creep in, the old man goes faster. Soon, he is dragging his cart as fast as he can.

But he isn't fast enough.

Hundreds of red eyes, everywhere. Wolfprowlers, Rovers, Tripods, and an innumerable amount of Implings - all shadow creatures. He draws out two torches from his cart and lights them.

He knows that he will not emerge from the night alive.

The shadows attack, swarming over the merchant.

In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2016, 11:39:30 am »

((The double parenthesis means out of character text.))

"These will do, but first I should improve my shelter and sleep through the night."

Improve the canopy into a shelter. Then sleep after getting a fire ready to start quickly.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 11:44:52 am by Rautherdir »

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2016, 11:52:52 am »

Spoiler: Gromble! (click to show/hide)

Turn III Day VI

Grom's eyes open again, he rests upon a crude bed of leaves, the usual campsite. Hund is of course resting, nuzzled into his large form. Already, the day begins waning into night. From his spot, he catches the lilliputian tending to the fire.

Hardly can the man recall the events of the day, blurring together through exhaustion. However, he knows still what must be done. Feebly bringing himself to a seat, the heavy-set exile speaks in a firm, but amiable tone toward the tiny companion of his.

"Little one, I must thank you for all of this. But please, return to your secluded spot. Do not spend so much worry over an old soul such as mine. Haheheh. . ." He smiles, wheezing a chuckle at the end. "Go, before the night truly falls. . ." Grom gestures for the tiny Fu Qyu to depart. All the while praying for his safety.
I've lost control of my life.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2016, 12:20:19 pm »

Julio gazes intently at Elise.

"... So you have returned. I wonder what that means.

You seem... Different. I know I may be, to you, an old badger; but the eyes of a fox never dull. I'm observant as ever. What happened.
"

He pries a little for information. Once he is done with that, he practices the use of the crossbow, then hunts.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2016, 12:29:16 pm »

Fighting Style: Offensive

Han Yu creeps over to the elf camp, and attempts to steal a weapon from their store. (Preferably a bow). He takes an extra stone sword with him.

((Aww.. I liked the merchant. He should have left his cart if he knew he was gonna die.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2016, 02:07:31 pm »

((Any time we act or talk out of character, we put them in double parenthesis. This can be for discussions of game mechanics, conversations between players about the game, or random discussion. We try to limit the amount of ooc, especially if someone gets into a chat about pokemon or some such, since there are threads for that, and it could derail this thread. As GM, you don't really need to use them for anything but non-game related conversation. It's a bay12 convention, so you'll find them used everywhere in forum games and roleplaying and roll to dodge. And also Einsteinian roulette, but that is a story for another time.

Also, in most games here, the convention is to use bold text to announce actions, while unbolded text is typically RP or intercharacter dialogue.))

To the elf and girl
"That old man is crazy. What just happened? We didn't just seal our souls into that box did we? I don't like this. He's going to turn us into wights or something. All that talk about darkness. Brrr."

To Gromble
"I know, I know. You are dangerous to me. But, Gromble, everyone is dangerous to me, even others of my kind. And you ... well, you at least are also helpful to me, so I'll hang around a bit anyway. No, don't say it. I'll hide at nightfall, of course. I see you. I see that you got into something awful. And I know I am not strong enough to stand at your back for that. But ... I'll still be here in the morning. Okay? Besides, we've got to go meet that old nutter again, right? there were five more knives, yuo know."

So which one are the girl and the elf? Fu chat's with those two before returning to camp, then: Fu keeps watch over Grom, but returns to his secluded spot to rest before nightfall.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2016, 02:23:51 pm »

((Any time we act or talk out of character, we put them in double parenthesis. This can be for discussions of game mechanics, conversations between players about the game, or random discussion. We try to limit the amount of ooc, especially if someone gets into a chat about pokemon or some such, since there are threads for that, and it could derail this thread. As GM, you don't really need to use them for anything but non-game related conversation. It's a bay12 convention, so you'll find them used everywhere in forum games and roleplaying and roll to dodge. And also Einsteinian roulette, but that is a story for another time.

Also, in most games here, the convention is to use bold text to announce actions, while unbolded text is typically RP or intercharacter dialogue.))

To the elf and girl
"That old man is crazy. What just happened? We didn't just seal our souls into that box did we? I don't like this. He's going to turn us into wights or something. All that talk about darkness. Brrr."

To Gromble
"I know, I know. You are dangerous to me. But, Gromble, everyone is dangerous to me, even others of my kind. And you ... well, you at least are also helpful to me, so I'll hang around a bit anyway. No, don't say it. I'll hide at nightfall, of course. I see you. I see that you got into something awful. And I know I am not strong enough to stand at your back for that. But ... I'll still be here in the morning. Okay? Besides, we've got to go meet that old nutter again, right? there were five more knives, yuo know."

So which one are the girl and the elf? Fu chat's with those two before returning to camp, then: Fu keeps watch over Grom, but returns to his secluded spot to rest before nightfall.

((Elise, the girl, has already retired to Julio's camp it seems.))
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2016, 02:35:49 pm »

Climb a tree

Cut off a few tree limbs for the ol' inventory.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 07:39:27 pm by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2016, 03:30:52 pm »

((The double parenthesis means out of character text.))

"These will do, but first I should improve my shelter and sleep through the night."

Improve the canopy into a shelter. Then sleep after getting a fire ready to start quickly.

((Gotcha. Please excuse my inept-ness.))

You spend a while, and transform the canopy into a snug foxhole. You use a bit of excess wood to feed the fire. However, while you're in the middle of cutting a tree bough, your knife breaks!
You lose

Silver knife

You look at the huge temple in the distance and wonder what it could house. It positively vibrates with energy...

But you get ahead of yourself. All that matters is that you have a warm fire and a nice place to sleep. You can swear that something is watching you, though...

Spoiler: Gromble! (click to show/hide)

Turn III Day VI

Grom's eyes open again, he rests upon a crude bed of leaves, the usual campsite. Hund is of course resting, nuzzled into his large form. Already, the day begins waning into night. From his spot, he catches the lilliputian tending to the fire.

Hardly can the man recall the events of the day, blurring together through exhaustion. However, he knows still what must be done. Feebly bringing himself to a seat, the heavy-set exile speaks in a firm, but amiable tone toward the tiny companion of his.

"Little one, I must thank you for all of this. But please, return to your secluded spot. Do not spend so much worry over an old soul such as mine. Haheheh. . ." He smiles, wheezing a chuckle at the end. "Go, before the night truly falls. . ." Grom gestures for the tiny Fu Qyu to depart. All the while praying for his safety.

Fu Qyu looks a bit shaken, but shakes his head when you ask him to leave you.

"I know, I know. You are dangerous to me. But, Gromble, everyone is dangerous to me, even others of my kind. And you ... well, you at least are also helpful to me, so I'll hang around a bit anyway. No, don't say it. I'll hide at nightfall, of course. I see you. I see that you got into something awful. And I know I am not strong enough to stand at your back for that. But ... I'll still be here in the morning. Okay? Besides, we've got to go meet that old nutter again, right? there were five more knives, youyuo know."

You nod, accepting Fu's terms. You go to sleep, satisfied that Fu leaves. In the middle of the night, you hear a strange whistle, but you pay it no mind.

Fighting Style: Offensive

Han Yu creeps over to the elf camp, and attempts to steal a weapon from their store. (Preferably a bow). He takes an extra stone sword with him.

((Aww.. I liked the merchant. He should have left his cart if he knew he was gonna die.))

He didn't, though. He just wanted to get the hell outta Dodge.

You look at the sinking sun, and head over to the battlefield. It's quiet. The goblin fort is unmanned, and there is no sign of the elven attackers, or the Gnomish village that used to occupy the area. Not even the corpses remain. It's almost as if the battle never happened. You look around you. Sure enough, there are the red eyes everywhere, but they don't move in. You whistle, and the sound rings through the area. You hope that someone can aid you. Just then, a group of three bloodied elves run to you from behind a thicket, armed to the teeth.

"The demons are everywhere! They swept over us... there was nothing we could do!" says one of them, thinking that you're a soldier.

Just then, the red eyes start to move in. To your horror, the eyes belong not to Shadow Wraiths, but to a horde of shambling elves and goblins. One of them lunges at you, and you use your pike to cut his throat. A black mist pours out, and the possessed elf falls dead. You and the three soldiers watch in horror as the horde closes in around you...

To the elf and girl

To Gromble

As you're trekking back to your camp, you hear a sharp whistle.

!!Interrupt!!

You head towards the sound, and see a group of elves surrounded by a horde of... goblins and elves, but with the eyes of shadow creatures! Upon looking closer, you see that one of the elves is Han Yu! They're holding back the possessed horde, but just barely. Knowing that you must act, you head to your nearby campsite and use the campfire to light a branch on fire. You close your eyes, calm your mind, and then, as loud as you can,

"Hey, you ugly blokes! Yeah, look over here! I'm talking to you, you demonic pieces of trash!"

The horde, moving as a single creature, turns to face you.

WE ARE NOT A DEMON WE ARE DARKNESS

Each of the possessed soldiers whispers this, creating a haunting sound that reverberates through the night air. They start shambling towards you, completely ignoring Han Yu and the elves. However, they are slower than you, and you lead them around the area as Han Yu and the other elves escape. Finally, when they are out of sight, you bolt, leaving the horde far behind. In a wide curve, you return to your campsite, and watch from the distance as the horde's collective master, infuriated, has its thralls tear each other apart. You sleep well that night.

Climb a tree

Cut off a few tree limbs for the ol' inventory.

Rest for the night

Name: Feu D'artifice
Race: Gremlin   
Class: Strafer
    Attack Style: Attacker
    Theme Song: Burn Baby Burn
30 Health
5 attack
8 speed
0 defense
1 intellect

Inventory:
1 tinder
1 standard stick(+1)
1 special edition skull tetradrachmas

Actually, you have 2 skull tetradrachmas, one for each death.

Feu D'artifice. I can only guess that Feu is fire, and D'artifice I can figure out means maker... fitting name, you Frenchman.
You do that stuff. Cutting the limbs is hard with only another stick to cut with, so you only manage to cut one.
You get

Blunt stick

You sleep.

You seem... Different. I know I may be, to you, an old badger; but the eyes of a fox never dull. I'm observant as ever. What happened.
"

He pries a little for information. Once he is done with that, he practices the use of the crossbow, then hunts.

Yeah, uh, you do that stuff. You kill (insert animal name here)
You get

Bone
Sinew
(insert animal name here) leather

You return to your camp. Elise is practicing with her mace.

You seem... Different. I know I may be, to you, an old badger; but the eyes of a fox never dull. I'm observant as ever. What happened?"

Elise glares at you.

"If you really wanted to know, you could have come."

"I don't think it's the best choice for either of us. Please, Elise, what happened?"

"I'm not telling you anything. End of discussion."

Aloren clears his throat. You almost forgot he was there.

"Stay out of this." you and Elise say at the same time.

Aloren, despite the rebuttal he received, laughs a bit at this.

"Julio has a point, Elise. He's really only looking out for you, no matter how it seems."

"I don't know exactly what happened. The merchant was vague about the details, but in short, I can fight the Shadow Wraiths now."

You say nothing more. You wonder if you should join her...

Day 7, Turn 1 blah!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 04:25:17 pm by Rethi-Eli »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2016, 03:32:25 pm »

"

((You seem to have missed this))

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2016, 04:06:04 pm »

"

((You seem to have missed this))

Ah, I screwed up, post modified.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2016, 04:08:38 pm »

((Now, I've been a little concerned about this in the past but I've kept my mouth shut about it; but I'm not very fond of the fact that you make up some of our character's dialogue. I would never have revealed to Elise that I was observing. In fact, the point of that dialogue was to make it seem like I had not.

Sorry if this is too critical.))

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2016, 04:24:00 pm »

((Now, I've been a little concerned about this in the past but I've kept my mouth shut about it; but I'm not very fond of the fact that you make up some of our character's dialogue. I would never have revealed to Elise that I was observing. In fact, the point of that dialogue was to make it seem like I had not.

Sorry if this is too critical.))

Not at all. In fact, I'm learning quite a bit. I'll modify the post accordingly.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23