Yes
- 4 (40%)
No
- 2 (20%)
Coolio
- 4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23

Author Topic: Survival of the Meanest  (Read 37251 times)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: Survival of the Meanest
« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2016, 05:43:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Combat Stance: Balanced
Forage and hunt
"No. I don't plan on doing that. Throwing oneself in harm's way is the quickest way to be killed.

Elf, whatever your name is, you are free to stay here until your wounds have healed. But then you must go. These shadowy beasts; I have no idea what they are. I also do not know if, perchance, being bit by one will turn you into one. I cannot risk the safety of Elise or myself.
"

Julio pauses for a moment.

"I came to this region tracking an Elven outlaw. I suggest you take that into account, as well."

He then departs to hunt.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 05:45:58 pm by Coolrune206 »
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 21, 2016, 05:51:34 pm »

((If you want to play again (oh god please do my life is without meaning if nobody plays) you will receive one tinder, as well as the standard stick and skull tetradrachmas. Fire is pretty, oh so pretty...)) #Worth It

Name: Feu d'artifice

Class: Strafer
Attack Style: Attacker
Theme Song: Burn Baby Burn
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2016, 06:51:09 pm »

Fu Qyu listens to Gromble's speech with wonder, caught up in the large man's confidence. He stands a little taller at the end, perhaps in spite of himself. misgivngs set aside for now, he sets to work.
Gosh. I ... thanks.
Fu attempts to make a bow out of his supplies.

((I have only a passing idea of what is going on, half the time, lol))

Spoiler: Fu Qyu (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2016, 06:53:21 pm »

[[ Oh jeez, that's what I get for writing something a bit drawn out! Haha! I think that our interaction didn't happen because of the interrupt Ozarck, so just modify that a bit. ]]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:59:14 pm by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2016, 07:13:09 pm »

Han Yu, gazing upon the chaotic scene, sighs with exasperation. Well, this must be it- the fabled blades lie beneath the bloodied ground. Although it will be troublesome to retrieve them, to say the least.

Fighting Style: Balanced

Han Yu returns to the old man's camp, and purchases a shovel. (Or if he does not have enough money, he finds out the price.)

((Im starting to feel like a second rate messenger  :P.))

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2016, 08:16:02 pm »

((If you want to play again (oh god please do my life is without meaning if nobody plays) you will receive one tinder, as well as the standard stick and skull tetradrachmas. Fire is pretty, oh so pretty...)) #Worth It

Name: Feu d'artifice

Class: Strafer
Attack Style: Attacker
Theme Song: Burn Baby Burn

boi u a gremlin

I'l just put your stats here and you can fill in the rest

30 Health
5 attack
8 speed
0 defense
1 intellect

boiiiiii

To stimulate discussion, I'm making my own character. Rest assured that it won't be unfair.

Qqhlsurqslqu'rghlrq-acht'qu-hrlg, arise. Your comrades are faltering, and need leadership. I call upon thee. Go to the realm of mortals, and rally your lessers. We have been released from our prison for the first time in aeons, and I will not let this opportunity be for naught. Kill them all, and we shall be free.

Fu Qyu listens to Gromble's speech with wonder, caught up in the large man's confidence. He stands a little taller at the end, perhaps in spite of himself. misgivngs set aside for now, he sets to work.
Gosh. I ... thanks.
Fu attempts to make a bow out of his supplies.

((I have only a passing idea of what is going on, half the time, lol))

Ignoring the out of context part,

You use your hunting knife to cut a young sapling bough. After letting the sun ripen the wood, you use flint to drill holes in the top and bottom of the bough, and thread a bit of sinew through the holes. The result is a crude longbow, sized perfectly for you. Now to make the arrows. You use a few tree branches to carve a handful of arrows, and sharpen the ends to deadly points. You test your bow. The arrows are a bit inaccurate, partially due to the fact that you're a novice archer, and mostly because they lack fletching. However, the bow is decently powerful.
You lose

Sinew

You get

Crude longbow

This was a 2 turn action - as such, you cannot forage, hunt, or explore next turn. You may, however, visit the merchant, or search for Gromble.

Ranged weapons fact: no experience of any kind is required to use ranged weapons, and the damage they inflict is independent of your attack stat, but rather relies on your speed, and, depending on the kind of weapon, stature. If you have any kind of ranged weapon, you unlock the 'Shoot' skill, which is like attack, but for ranged weapons. It takes one combat turn to switch from a ranged weapon to a melee weapon, or vice versa.

Caleb

You loot the corpses strewn about you.
You get

Silver rapier x 3, + 2 attack, bonus damage against vampires, werecreatures, and underlings
Copper drachma x 19

Turn 2 of Day 6 has begun!

Qqhlsurqslqu'rghlrq-acht'qu-hrlg crawls out of the Rift, darkness melting away as it enters the mortal world. Its comrades cluster about the Rift, drawing power from the shadows. Qqhlsurqslqu'rghlrq-acht'qu-hrlg didn't think of what it was doing as the right thing to do - a concept unfamiliar to most other of its kind. Qqhlsurqslqu'rghlrq-acht'qu-hrlg and its kind were imprisoned for acts that they did commit, and deserved everything that came to them.

Forage and hunt
"No. I don't plan on doing that. Throwing oneself in harm's way is the quickest way to be killed.

Elf, whatever your name is, you are free to stay here until your wounds have healed. But then you must go. These shadowy beasts; I have no idea what they are. I also do not know if, perchance, being bit by one will turn you into one. I cannot risk the safety of Elise or myself.
"

Julio pauses for a moment.

"I came to this region tracking an Elven outlaw. I suggest you take that into account, as well."

He then departs to hunt.

"Not so fast!" shouts Elise, grabbing you by the shoulder. "If you don't want to go, that's fine, but I'm going."

Your turn is not over. You may either

Forbid Elise from going, and that's the end of it you spoiled little shit

Throw your hands up in the air and just say fuck it, do whatevs, I'm not your mom

I'm getting progressively worse at this, and my statements end with less and less punctuation

Crap

Han Yu, gazing upon the chaotic scene, sighs with exasperation. Well, this must be it- the fabled blades lie beneath the bloodied ground. Although it will be troublesome to retrieve them, to say the least.

Fighting Style: Balanced

Han Yu returns to the old man's camp, and purchases a shovel. (Or if he does not have enough money, he finds out the price.)

((Im starting to feel like a second rate messenger  :P.))

Maybe if you didn't have 7 speed you wouldn't be the messenger m8ey

The merchant smiles as you approach.

"I need to buy a shovel. How much does one cost, if you have one?"

"Well, how much do you have?"

"Seven drachmas..."

"Well, what a miracle! The shovel costs exactly that!"

Realizing the mistake you made, you grudgingly hand over the coppers to the merchant. He laughs at your misfortune before handing you a shovel.
You get

Shovel, +2 attack, bonus damage against dirt

You lose
head
Copper drachma x 7

You head back to the battlefield, where the combat has ceased for the time being. You take advantage in the gap in combat to scope the battlefield. You find a pair of broken swords touching, leaning on a wooden stake driven into the earth. A dead elf lays next to a patch of scorched ground. You instinctively know this is the spot, and start digging. Right as your shovel hits the dry ground, an elf on one side of the battle shouts something inaudible, but one part sticks out to you -

"Kill the dirty scavenger!"

Just about then, a goblin watchman on the ramparts of the wooden bastion sees you. He just sees an elf with a pike, and a horde of goblins burst out of the gate, screaming. You start digging faster. When the two factions are about to wash over you, you strike something solid. You grab a dusty stone box and start running. You're gonna have to fight your way out of this mess...

Combat log:
You strike a goblin!
An elven arrow flies by you, killing a goblin!
A goblin spear flies by you, killing an elf!
A goblin lunges at you but misses!
An elf strikes a goblin!
You strike an elf!
An elf strikes a goblin, killing him!
A goblin strikes an elf!
A goblin spear flies by you, hitting an elven war bear!
An elf strikes a goblin!
An elf strikes you with his spear, grazing your arm! -3 hp
A goblin strikes an elf!
A goblin strikes you with a copper knife! -2 hp
A goblin strikes at you, but you parry!
You strike a goblin!
An elven arrow whistles by you, striking a goblin!
An elven arrow strikes your leg! -3 hp
An elven arrow grazes your shoulder! -2 hp
You escape!

You stumble back to the merchant, wounded. He clucks his tongue and goes into his cart. A few seconds later, he emerges with a small tin. He opens it, tears a strip of cloth off of his shirt, and wipes the cloth in the tin. He then rubs the cloth on your wounds. It stings.

+4 hp

You hand him the box, and he opens it. Inside are nine knives, roughly hewn from stone. You pick one up. The edge is completely dull.

"Blades? These aren't exactly sharp. However, I trust you, and I hope I have done well."

"You have done extremely well, but this is only the start of the challenge. When the hunter said he would join us, I think he was lying. We'll get the rest of the group together first, and then we'll get him.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2016, 08:34:16 pm »

Julio's normally warm eyes become cold.

"Do what you want. Let me just explain this, so you know what you are going into.

You will be put into a situation with opponents which are far more dangerous than the goblins which slew your brother. You will either die, or someone will die protecting you...

...again.
"
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2016, 08:41:30 pm »

Han Yu eyes the merchant warily, and coughs lightly.
"I suppose we will have to wait for the others then...right?"

Han Yu tries to find a suitable stone to sharpen the edge of the shovel, and attaches the bronze pikehead at the end of the shovel shaft.

((If necessary, he trades the bone and stick or arrow for binding material from the merchant.))

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:45:55 pm by vishdafish »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2016, 08:47:50 pm »

[[ Oh jeez, that's what I get for writing something a bit drawn out! Haha! I think that our interaction didn't happen because of the interrupt Ozarck, so just modify that a bit. ]]
((I'm ... not really sure. the turns are kinda piecemeal, so I miss half of what happens when. It's like reading a time traveler book or something :P

Oooh, I see it, all the way at the bottom of a post: you wake up, action cancelled. okay.))

GM, can we get a synopsis of each player's current situation at the start of each turn? Just a single sentence or something. A little map of the are a s well would be appreciated, as I think we've all explored enough to understand the basic layout.

Fu will search for Gromble, ensure he is okay, and aid him in his actions for the rest of the day (including healing if necessary). If he doesn't find him, He'll do the same for the next turn.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2016, 09:06:30 pm »

Spoiler: Gromble! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Prior Action. . . (click to show/hide)
[[ I do agree though, maybe a brief recounting of certain things. Not to mention there are a fair few NPCs to keep track of as well. As time goes on, I can see this becoming somewhat more hectic. Perhaps an edit in the OP, a short 'status' spoiler of all active PCs? Just a thought.]]

The bathing warmth of the grand celestial star encapsulates a form, haunched in mud. It is that of a large man, slumped by a small brook of clean water. He sputters a coughing fit and is shocked awake, from which he, as always, wildly looks about. The setting is calm, but certainly not his campsite.

With that realization, his abdomen stings, excruciating pain erupts through his body. He nearly moans in agony, but manages to stifle it. Feebly bringing himself to those giant feet, his similarly immense hands raise to eye level. A single hope that the crimson coating is his blood, and his alone.

Staggering to the running stream, Grom does what he can to clean himself, not only the wounds, but also the caked red covering his exposed flesh. He need not question, nor despair. For indeed Gromble was well aware of what had occurred, still he prayed, especially for his little friend.

The large man stumbles forth, in hopes to return to camp. Too exhausted to imagine the gravity of his situation.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 09:15:48 pm by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2016, 10:27:47 pm »

I might not be able to play effectively for a day or so due to my wisdom teeth having been surgically removed today. That said, I would like to explore north, and build shelter. Prioritize fire for my shelter. If I run into anyone else, aid them if they are friendly. Otherwise kill them indiscriminately.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2016, 10:43:43 pm »

I am considering removing the turn mechanic and making actions a bit more free. As requested, here is your status update
Fu Qyu: At Grom's camp, testing his bow
Julio: At his camp, arguing with Elise
Gromble: Caked in blood (not all his), grievously wounded, in unfamiliar territory
Han Yu: Pulling an arrow out of his leg with the merchant
Caleb: Looting the dead peoples in the midst of the forest

Julio's normally warm eyes become cold.

"Do what you want. Let me just explain this, so you know what you are going into.

You will be put into a situation with opponents which are far more dangerous than the goblins which slew your brother. You will either die, or someone will die protecting you...

...again.
"

I like the character role you're taking up.

Elise stands still for a second, not saying anything.

"I'm going. You have gone too far. You treat me as a foolish child, but I know more than you may think."

Elise's eyes pierce into you. You see in them a steely determination, combined with a great sorrow. You meet her eyes with an equally strong icy gaze.

"And don't you ever talk about my brother like that again. Never."

She leaves, and you're left with Aloren, who stays quiet.

You go hunting. You don't actually kill anything, but you do find the bones of a small animal in the swamp. You salvage what you can.
You get

Bone

You return to your camp and start fashioning the bone into a piece of your work-in-progress chestplate. Aloren helps as much as he can with a broken hand. The two of you strike up a small conversation.

"So, you said you're tracking an elf, eh? Are you a bounty hunter?" asks Aloren, hammering flat a piece of leather.

"No. I'm a craftsman by trade, I just needed some money to buy materials. This was a one time foray, and I'm completely sure I'll never go bounty hunting again after this catastrophe ends."

Aloren nods. He seems mildly sympathetic.

"You know, you shouldn't be working in your condition. Get some rest."

Han Yu eyes the merchant warily, and coughs lightly.
"I suppose we will have to wait for the others then...right?"

Han Yu tries to find a suitable stone to sharpen the edge of the shovel, and attaches the bronze pikehead at the end of the shovel shaft.

((If necessary, he trades the bone and stick or arrow for binding material from the merchant.))

The merchant grunts his assent, and tosses you a bundle of string. You cut what you need off, and secure the pike head on the sturdier stick. The shovel head, after you file it down, is affixed on to the flimsy pole the pike head was on. Unfortunately, the shovel head changes very little despite your efforts to hone it.

Bronze pike is no longer shoddy!

Shovel degraded to shoddy (increased breaking chance)

Shovel upgrade failed.

Just as you finish attaching the pike head to the sturdier stick, you see a lone figure emerge out of the forest. At first, you think it to be Gromble, or perhaps the hunter you met. However, when the figure draws closer, you see that it's a young girl with flame red hair. She's crying, but she staggers on with a vengeance.

"I'm here to join you."

The merchant looks at her, his smile fading as he looks about.

"Why are you crying, dearie? And why isn't the man with you?"

The girl, who introduces herself as Elise, says that the man, who she says is named Julio, refused to come. The merchant shakes his head.

"He has no idea what is at stake. However we can deal with that later. Now, we must find the Giant and the Fighter, what were their names? Eh, my mind is old. At any rate, their names don't matter as much as us finding them. Time is running out. We must find the man and the Lilliputian. It is necessary."

((I'm ... not really sure. the turns are kinda piecemeal, so I miss half of what happens when. It's like reading a time traveler book or something :P

Oooh, I see it, all the way at the bottom of a post: you wake up, action cancelled. okay.))

GM, can we get a synopsis of each player's current situation at the start of each turn? Just a single sentence or something. A little map of the are a s well would be appreciated, as I think we've all explored enough to understand the basic layout.

Fu will search for Gromble, ensure he is okay, and aid him in his actions for the rest of the day (including healing if necessary). If he doesn't find him, He'll do the same for the next turn.

While in all realism you shouldn't be able to do this, you rolled a 94, so...
You march through the wilderness, bow at the ready. Eventually, you find the armor that Gromble wore, as well as the stick he carried, in a heap. A trail of blood snakes through the forest, and you follow it. After a while, you see Gromble's hunched form, half collapsed in a small riverlet. You say nothing, and lead him back to the camp. You tend to his wounds best you can.

Spoiler: Gromble! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Prior Action. . . (click to show/hide)
[[ I do agree though, maybe a brief recounting of certain things. Not to mention there are a fair few NPCs to keep track of as well. As time goes on, I can see this becoming somewhat more hectic. Perhaps an edit in the OP, a short 'status' spoiler of all active PCs? Just a thought.]]

The bathing warmth of the grand celestial star encapsulates a form, haunched in mud. It is that of a large man, slumped by a small brook of clean water. He sputters a coughing fit and is shocked awake, from which he, as always, wildly looks about. The setting is calm, but certainly not his campsite.

With that realization, his abdomen stings, excruciating pain erupts through his body. He nearly moans in agony, but manages to stifle it. Feebly bringing himself to those giant feet, his similarly immense hands raise to eye level. A single hope that the crimson coating is his blood, and his alone.

Staggering to the running stream, Grom does what he can to clean himself, not only the wounds, but also the caked red covering his exposed flesh. He need not question, nor despair. For indeed Gromble was well aware of what had occurred, still he prayed, especially for his little friend.

The large man stumbles forth, in hopes to return to camp. Too exhausted to imagine the gravity of his situation.

You return to your camp, glad to see both Hund and Fu Qyu unharmed. However, some force compels you to stagger further away after Fu has treated your wounds (+ 10 hp). You stumble into the rocky field, and get to the cart before collapsing from exhaustion.

Also, Rautherdir, best of luck with the whole wisdom tooth thing.

You head North, but stop when your passage is blocked by a huge Ziggurat-like structure. A chill runs down your spine as you gaze upon the huge temple. You travel a little bit South and stop when you reach a small sloping hill, smattered with trees. You break the branches off of them, and use your blunt stick to create a fire. You use a few other branches to create a canopy, providing basic protection from the elements. You heard stories of how your ancestors started building the mountainhome just like this, sleeping on the ground. You look at the end result of your labor, and let out a satisfied grunt.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:25:39 pm by Rethi-Eli »
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2016, 11:37:19 pm »

((thank you for the turn start synopsis. that works pretty well.

Making the actions freeflowing, in a game paced as quickly as this one is, will lend itself to certain players just fine, but to others such as myself, this will make the game even harder to follow. If you are going to have player interaction as a major part of the game play, keeping everyone on the same turn is a must. thus, a more standard turn update shcedule wold be a benefit. be like "I will update at x time. if you haven't posted at that time, I will auto you." That tends to work best, though again, some players are just fine with the more frenetic, unstructured pace. I just think you'll lose out a couple of good players if you do.

I'm only givng my perspective from having played and run these before, so take what you will, and leave the rest :P))

"All right, Grom? What happened to you?"

Fu will chat with Grom, then will scavenge over in and around the village the goblins attacked, see if he can find any useful stuff that isn't being claimed. If Grom needs to rest, and is willing to part with him, Fu will take Hund along for companionship, but will return him before nightfall.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2016, 06:29:30 am »

Julio gazes at Aloren for a moment.

"You know, I don't trust you a step. Once I mention my pursuit of an elvish criminal, your first response is an attempt to convince me to put myself in a vulnerable state.

But I have more troubling matters on my mind.
"

Julio sighs. He gives up on trying to fit the bone into the armor, and returns it into his inventory.

"She's going to get herself killed. Isn't she.

Sorry for my words just then. I suppose I am tired. I'm too suspicious. It's just... living in the woods, and having to survive, tends to turn you into an animal akin to the ones we hunt to survive.

Watch the camp. If I do not return, assume I am dead, and that the camp is yours.

I'm going to be a guardian angel.
"

Julio checks the snare, then he cautiously prowls through the jungle towards the Old Man's encampment, and watches from afar. He does not make his presence known. He attempts to construct a rudimentary crossbow. He carves the sharp tusk into the barrel and stock of the crossbow, and uses some small sticks from the area to construct the limbs. He uses sinew to construct the strings of the bow. Once that is done, he uses the last bone and both sharp teeth to construct some basic bolts, then tips them with some Northern Prowler Venom.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2016, 08:18:22 am »

"Well, with that ... temple thing in the distance, I might want a few supplies so I can look inside a bit."

Forage for material for a few torches staying near the shelter.

Spoiler: Caleb Fenrir (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23