Yes
- 4 (40%)
No
- 2 (20%)
Coolio
- 4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23

Author Topic: Survival of the Meanest  (Read 37189 times)

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: Survival of the Meanest
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2016, 01:34:50 am »

Spoiler: Gromble! (click to show/hide)

[[ This'll be my final post before I hit the hay. Mobile formatting is very unkind to me. Oh, and Rethi! At first, I was fairly iffy about another person controlling some character actions and even dialogue. But, I gotta say, you seem to have a fine grasp of the characters, and now I don't mind nearly as much. Felt like you could use some extra praise! c: ]]

Turn II Day V

The topic of the day was trying. It gave a certain purpose to his banishment no-doubt. But still. The stranger speaks of shadows, of prophecies, of destiny? How does one make heads or tails of it? Let it be known that Grom certainly doesn't hold doubts for the merchant. Instead, it was trying as the large man questioned his place, his role in the grand scheme.

There seemed indeed like a great gathered number of souls in this land, beyond he and the little one. Coincidence? It could not be. This was no minor folly. 'Perhaps then, we chosen few should converge, pool our efforts. . . No, I can do no such thing, the burden of mine is  already weighted so.'

Throughout the morning of foraging, scavenging, and searching along with his pair of trusted companions, Gromble ponders. And then ponders some more on the matter. Before the man realized, he was again at the campsite, with the pittance of loot in hand. At last he concluded, it would be best now to remain disjointed.

With a sigh, the massive survivor gazes over his new found tools. Perhaps. . . Yes. Whether the lilliputian remained or not, Gromble would use the glass shards and make the most of them. Attempting to scrape off whatever excess rust he could from the axe's blade. It was certainty no perfect soultion, but the best he could come up with on the spot.

It was no weapon against flesh, however the trees of this dark wood encroach, threatening to lash from the shadows. Why not cut them down to size?

The rusted axe of a child's perhaps. But in the right mighty hands, perhaps they could fell some lumber.
I've lost control of my life.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2016, 02:35:47 am »

Forage

Spoiler: Caleb Fenrir (click to show/hide)

You wish you were back at the mountainhome, dodging into lava and battling savage carp, like all the others dorfs get to do. Of course, we don't always get what we want. The task of delivering an important message to the Gnomish village was yours, or course. Just your luck that it was a battleground between Elves and Goblins, littered with corpses. For the e finishing touch, the wagon that was supposed to bring you home hasn't come, and now you're stuck out here without anything to eat. Of course it's the Northern Wilds. You curse your luck, and go look for something to eat.

What you find instead is a group of soldiers, slender rapiers hanging at their belts. They carry no standard, and are composed of Elves, Humans, and a Gnome. One of the Elves, the leader, notices you and motions for his men to follow. Before you can explain your plight, the Elf starts talking.

"Salutations, friend! I am Sub-Inquisitor Aloren, dispatched from the Northern Federation. Say, are you lost?"

You nod, and explain what happened to Aloren.

"I see. Well, I'll be sure to bring you back with me when I finish my assignment here. In the meantime  care to join us for a meal? Stick close and we'll provide you with food and the like."

You don't have much of a choice. You eat with the party, grinning as you taste fresh ale for the first time in days.

"Before we continue our trek, I want you to have this."

Aloren produces a small silver knife and hands it to you.

"There's a chance you may need it."

You get

Silver knife, +1 attack, bonus damage against werecreatures, underlings, and vampires

You spend the rest of the time until sunset marching with the group.

[[ This'll be my final post before I hit the hay. Mobile formatting is very unkind to me. Oh, and Rethi! At first, I was fairly iffy about another person controlling some character actions and even dialogue. But, I gotta say, you seem to have a fine grasp of the characters, and now I don't mind nearly as much. Felt like you could use some extra praise! c: ]]

Turn II Day V

The topic of the day was trying. It gave a certain purpose to his banishment no-doubt. But still. The stranger speaks of shadows, of prophecies, of destiny? How does one make heads or tails of it? Let it be known that Grom certainly doesn't hold doubts for the merchant. Instead, it was trying as the large man questioned his place, his role in the grand scheme.

There seemed indeed like a great gathered number of souls in this land, beyond he and the little one. Coincidence? It could not be. This was no minor folly. 'Perhaps then, we chosen few should converge, pool our efforts. . . No, I can do no such thing, the burden of mine is  already weighted so.'

Throughout the morning of foraging, scavenging, and searching along with his pair of trusted companions, Gromble ponders. And then ponders some more on the matter. Before the man realized, he was again at the campsite, with the pittance of loot in hand. At last he concluded, it would be best now to remain disjointed.

With a sigh, the massive survivor gazes over his new found tools. Perhaps. . . Yes. Whether the lilliputian remained or not, Gromble would use the glass shards and make the most of them. Attempting to scrape off whatever excess rust he could from the axe's blade. It was certainty no perfect soultion, but the best he could come up with on the spot.

It was no weapon against flesh, however the trees of this dark wood encroach, threatening to lash from the shadows. Why not cut them down to size?

The rusted axe of a child's perhaps. But in the right mighty hands, perhaps they could fell some lumber.

Why thank you for the compliment! I tried to read in to your character, and I think I saw just what you had in mind - a jolly, carefree explorer, friendly by nature and rather like a big father figure. I think I've fallen in love with this character, in a completely Platonic manner. I mean, what is there not to like about nice old Gromble...? Nothing, right? Oh god is he an evil demonic skeleton horse and kitten-eating meanie pants okay he's not good just checking

You spend a bit of time chipping the oxidized copper off of the axe. In the end, the blade is smaller, but extremely sharp. You easily fell a handful of trees, and have spare time to forage after the task is done. You head back to the battleground. The goblins have started building a crude palisade around the town, determined not to let the elves take any more ground. A number of enslaved Trolls aid the process, heaving around huge pieces of lumber to further build the fort up. Goblin reinforcements entered. You found yourself stunned when you see a contingent of kobolds march in with the goblins. The kobolds were a peaceful tribal people, and had only resorted to theft after the greater races, notably humans, pushed them out of their homelands time after time, engaging in brutal genocides. It was a terrible cycle, and the kobolds were determined to end it, you decide, even if they had to ally with their ancient foe, the goblins. A handful of gremlins and ogres also accompany the goblins, although this was less surprising to you. You leave, imagining the worst.

EDIT: Changed rapper to rapier. Autocorrect is mean.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 09:35:26 am by Rethi-Eli »
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2016, 05:56:54 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Han Yu pauses for a while, deep in thought. A sudden flash of resolution passes through his eyes, and lifts his head, looking up at the old man solemnly:

"I will aid you glady in this cause. It is not mere chance that binds us together, but the cords of destiny; which no mortal can hope to escape. My spear and body are at your service, and whether it be fire or shadow, I shall cast them down."

Fighting Style: Balanced

Han Yu agrees to the man's request and waits for further guidance on the wraiths and how to deal with them.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2016, 06:45:01 am »

Combat Stance: Balanced
Use a few curved bones to form the outline of a shield, then cover the front in raw hide, and reinforce it with sinew. Add a few smaller bones on the front to act as spikes for shield bashing.
"This is a nice little dwelling."
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2016, 12:22:17 pm »

I'm bored, so people who still need to act will now auto do stuff.

Fu Qyu the Terrifying

You hunt. You creep through the woods, but instead of finding prey, you find a group of armed... soldiers, you think. There's a dwarf, a gnome, two elves, and two humans. All of them except the dwarf wear similar outfits, green cloaks with silver trappings. You don't know exactly what to make of this, but at least you know about it. You head back to Gromble, pondering the meaning of the intrusion.

DeadMon

You use the embers from the burnt tree to start a campfire, and stoke the flames. You set up a decent resting area and then sleep. (bonus to rolls next turn).

Caleb Fenrir

You continue along with the strange party. They tell you about themselves, and what they do.

"We're hunters. Not in the traditional sense, no. We're monster hunters. We do systematic purges, killing werewolves and vampires and fighting evil creatures. There's supposedly a weretiger here, and we're going to dispose of it." says Tally, one of the apprentices.

You chat with the group, and resume marching with the rest. Just as the sun sets, Aloren signals for everyone to halt.

"This is where the weretiger was last seen. Until it is killed, anyone living in the woods is in great danger. It's nearly night. Set up camp, I'll keep watch for the first shift. Owen, you take second. Tally, you take third watch. If you see the weretiger, wake me before it escapes."

You're starting to have second thoughts about traveling with these people. This seems a bit more dangerous than you might want it to be.

Turn 3 of Day 5 is starting!
The two moons shine tonight, casting light across the Northern Wilds. It seems that Relanis, the lesser of the two moons, is waning, but Enceladus is full tonight...

Han Yu pauses for a while, deep in thought. A sudden flash of resolution passes through his eyes, and lifts his head, looking up at the old man solemnly:

"I will aid you glady in this cause. It is not mere chance that binds us together, but the cords of destiny; which no mortal can hope to escape. My spear and body are at your service, and whether it be fire or shadow, I shall cast them down."

Han Yu agrees to the man's request and waits for further guidance on the wraiths and how to deal with them.

A noble speech from an equally noble warrior. I gratefully accept your offer, as your services are needed. My first task for you: decipher this riddle:

Where steel meets steel
And wood meets ground
Under the earth
The blades will be found
Where no man goes
And the fallen reek
There you will find
The blades you seek

As you think about this, I need you to find a man and a girl living somewhere in these woods. Bring them here tomorrow morn. You are welcome to sleep here if you keep the fire alive."

You accept, and sleep well that night.

Use a few curved bones to form the outline of a shield, then cover the front in raw hide, and reinforce it with sinew. Add a few smaller bones on the front to act as spikes for shield bashing.

You and Elise look upon the house, pleased with the result. You are smiling for the first time in many days.

"It really is. I think it's wonderful, considering the resources we have."

"As do I."

You spend the rest of the time until sundown making a new shield. You make it rather easily.

You lose

Goat leather x 2
Bone x 4
Sinew x 6

You get

Spiked bone shield, +1 defense, +1 attack, shield bashing may inflict bleeding

You test the shield, but you find yourself rather unskilled in using it, especially in striking with it. Elise laughs as she sees you stagger into a tree and hit your head.

"Here, let me help."

You spend an hour learning how to attack with your shield and not lose your balance, with Elise instructing you. By nighttime, you're absolutely exhausted, but you're pretty competent at shield bashing.

You learn a skill: Shield Bash: Deals 50% damage and has a 30% chance of stunning opponent.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2016, 12:33:14 pm »

"Thank ye for the knife and the meal, but I need to try and find the wagon back to the mountainhomes. If you insist, I'll stay the night with you though."
Stay with the group through the night, then Explore.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2016, 01:16:57 pm »

Equip the shield, then hunt a bit before the morning.
"Stay here. I'm going to explore a little while the night is waning."

((I've decided to make a full set of bone plate armor. Everyone will just shit themselves and run.))
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2016, 01:20:05 pm »

((What will happen if I cannot solve the riddle?))

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2016, 01:55:50 pm »

((What will happen if I cannot solve the riddle?))

Trust me. You'll solve it.

Where steel meets steel and wood meets ground...

What could it mean?

You understand that you're looking for blades, and that they're buried somewhere...

But where could they be?

((I've decided to make a full set of bone plate armor. Everyone will just shit themselves and run.))

You can technically act at night, as I stated in the OP, but you'll suffer penalties to your rolls the next day. You sure you want to do this?

"Thank ye for the knife and the meal, but I need to try and find the wagon back to the mountainhomes. If you insist, I'll stay the night with you though."
Stay with the group through the night, then Explore.

Aloren looks at you.

"I'm sorry."

You raise an eyebrow.

"What do ye mean to say? I wouldn't think ya have that much to be sorry about."

"Your wagon was torn apart, and the driver missing. We found them both on our way here. We can only assume that the weretiger is responsible for the calamity."

You say nothing more.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2016, 02:04:01 pm »

((Nevermind then. I'll do it at morning.))

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2016, 02:11:46 pm »

((Ah, I see! I think...))

"I have slept on your riddle, and the answer has come to me, in midst of dream. Could the blades you speak of be buried in a battlefield, somewhere within this forest?"

If the man assents, Han Yu embarks on his mission, and searches the nearby forest for the tracks/traces of a man and a girl.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2016, 02:31:35 pm »

Become the best boy scout ever: Light The Forest on Fire

Light more trees on fire

Discover flint and steel

((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2016, 02:55:07 pm »

Check on the progress of the leather. report the incursion of the uniformed squad to Gromble. Also, express my misgivings about the sanity of the old man.

Gromble, do you think it wise to stay in these parts? There are a lot of shady things happening. Those goblins, that group I just met, and all these other strangers wandering about, just like you and me. I don't like it, it makes my skin itch. plus, that forest ... that elf - he attacked me! And now he seems okay, but  ... maybe that was because you were there. And Gromble, look at me, I've never fought a creature of the night! I barely know how to hold a knife!

This really would have been Ember's kind of thing ...

Spoiler: Fu Qyu (click to show/hide)

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2016, 03:18:08 pm »

Spoiler: Prior Action (click to show/hide)

[[ I return! Work was killer today, and I ended up taking a nap. Just wanna say that I'll edit this post with my response so that I make sure not to get skipped and all! ]]

The work was exhausting no doubt, and yet still it could pay off great in dividends. And so Gromble took another drawn out stare from the campsite clearing, leaning the copper axe into the mud below. Where once there were a number of gnarled and devilish trees there were now stumps, and not to mention the piled of lumber left in their wake.

If the Northern Wilds was to be this man's home, he'd forge it with his very best.

Despite goblin and elf, shadow and beast, curses and men, Grom's will remained ever stalwart. Perhaps it was stubbornness, or an allure of mystery that kept him in these lands. Or maybe, just maybe, it was an astonishing hope for the ever after. He sat with Hund beside, and gazed up for the Sun wheeling down. Surprised as his little friend shows theirself once more.

His expression is lighthearted, though it swiftly morphs to a firm stoicism as the lilliputian's uneasiness grew. Gromble listened, and he listened. Pondering especially the meaning of this group of men. . . Never interrupting the quick-worded creature, until at last they trailed off.

The heavy-set man knelt to his diminutive companion, his own massive hands gently took the comparatively miniature ones in their hold, clasping them together and patting, a calming gesture. His ancient eyes come open as the mouth below that thick mustache of his moves. He speaks with only genuine compassion, "Little one. . . Perhaps you think yourself small, perhaps you think yourself insignificant, or perhaps weak. This all, cannot be true."

He smiles, beaming with warmth as ever.

"You ARE strong. Strong of heart, strong of spirit, and brave too, this is obvious. Strong, stronger than you realize, and there I am of no doubts, within you have strength even greater than my own."

It was no direct answer to questions and problems risen, but it was Gromble's answer no less. With a final pat, Grom stood, the serious vibes fading away as he shortly thereafter directs the lilliputian to their rabbit and dear leather. Certainly not the work of a master, but tanned nonetheless. They'd work together to create something befitting the courageous little warrior, before sending Fu on his way.

Another night as the dual moons rise bright in the sky. Another night of dread. Best to get whatever rest he could. . .
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:58:41 pm by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2016, 05:32:36 pm »

Become the best boy scout ever: Light The Forest on Fire

Light more trees on fire

Discover flint and steel

As much as you're overturning the game, you roll a 92, so I have no choice but to let you succeed.

Fire fierjeif fieri fierei burn burn rbunr burn FIrje Fire hahehehhahe FIre

You burn down one tree. The sparks jump to another, and from there to another... soon everything is a raging inferno. You cackle as the fire burns, and burns, and burns...

DeadMon has perished, burned alive in forest fire...

You have a knack for dying!

If you want to play again (oh god please do my life is without meaning if nobody plays) you will receive one tinder, as well as the standard stick and skull tetradrachmas. Fire is pretty, oh so pretty...

Check on the progress of the leather. report the incursion of the uniformed squad to Gromble. Also, express my misgivings about the sanity of the old man.

Gromble, do you think it wise to stay in these parts? There are a lot of shady things happening. Those goblins, that group I just met, and all these other strangers wandering about, just like you and me. I don't like it, it makes my skin itch. plus, that forest ... that elf - he attacked me! And now he seems okay, but  ... maybe that was because you were there. And Gromble, look at me, I've never fought a creature of the night! I barely know how to hold a knife!

This really would have been Ember's kind of thing ...

Spoiler: Fu Qyu (click to show/hide)

You return to the camp. The leather is pliable and ready to work, but Gromble is nowhere to be seen. You start to work the leather, wondering where Gromble could be at this hour...

What if... could it be?
You get

Leather armor, +1.5 defense

!!Caleb Fenrir is interrupted while sleeping!!

You awake when you hear Owen, the tracker, shout. A huge tiger, almost standing on two legs, is charging at him! Aloren, with a cry, charges the weretiger, rapier at the ready. You draw your knife, but you aren't about to get involved in the combat.

Combat log
Owen is bowled over by the weretiger!
Sub-Inquisitor Aloren stabs the weretiger!
The weretiger strikes Owen with a huge claw, snapping his neck! (critical hit) Owen has perished!
Recruit Tally stabs the weretiger!
Veteran Bjorn lunges at the weretiger, but misses!
The weretiger bites Recruit Tally!
Sub-Inquisitor Aloren stabs the weretiger!
Veteran Nelyss lunges at the weretiger, but misses! She stumbles and falls! (critical fail)
The weretiger leaps on Veteran Nelyss, and repeatedly claws and bites her! A gout of blood pours forth from her neck when it is bitten! Veteran Nelyss has perished!
Sub-Inquisitor Aloren hits the weretiger with the butt of his sword, and then stabs it! (critical hit)
The weretiger flees.

You look at at the carnage everywhere. Only Bjorn and Aloren are unscathed. Two of the other hunters are dead, and Tally is clutching his arm, groaning as blood pours from his wound. In a swift movement, he draws a knife from his belt, and slices his wrists. You retch.

Aloren shakes his head, looking at the three corpses splayed out.

"Tally was infected. You see, lycanthropy is a curse spread through bites. Although not all bites have this effect, we don't take chances. Stay here. The weretiger was wounded, and it's leaving a trail of blood. Bjorn and I are going to track it. If you see the weretiger, duck down and don't breathe."

Armok Generic Fantasy God have mercy.

Aloren and Bjorn head into the forest. Soon, they are completely separated from the light of the fire. Aloren feels a chill run down his spine. He looks around for the weretiger, but there is no sign of it. That's when he hears a roar. He looks around for Bjorn, but there's no sign of him. When Aloren reaches the area from whence the roar came, a terrifying sight awaits him. The weretiger is wrestling with a huge monster, made out of living shadow. Bjorn is dead, shredded to pieces in the same fashion that old cart driver was. The weretiger, overwhelmed by the shadow monster, fled, leaving Aloren alone with a living nightmare.

He readies his rapier, preparing for one last battle.

Day 6, Turn 1 has started!

You gear up for hunting, when you hear a crash in the woods near your camp. A young elf, bloodied and panting, staggers into your camp. He collapses by the fire, almost dead. Elise immediately rushes to his side and starts tending to his wounds. You try to help, but you're unskilled in wound treatment, and decide to resume hunting. You start to travel to the mountains where the goats reside, when an elf wielding a pike intercepts you.

"Where's the girl?" he asks, less threatening than simply curious. You wonder how he knows about Elise.

You have some questions of your own, which you ask. The elf brings you back to the cart where the old man buying pelts is.

"Ah, the hunter returns! Where is your younger companion, if you don't mind me asking?"

"I'll tell you when you explain what's going on here." you growl.

The old man tells you a fantastic story about shadow wraiths and heroes, you being one of them. You'd have had a hard time believing any of this before you saw the shadows move. Now you know better. Apparently, the elf who fetched you even fought some.

"I guess I'll join you. The girl, Elise, is tending to a wounded elf back at my camp. I'll return to you later."

You hunt for a short while, but don't succeed in killing anything. You return to your meager house and see the elf, now fully conscious, propped up on a tree. Elise is sitting by his side, roasting a goat leg over the fire.

"I cannot thank you and your daughter enough for letting me stay here." the elf says, wincing as he rubs a bruise.

"She's not my daughter, but your thanks is appreciated. What exactly is it that mauled you?"

The elf hesitates for a second.

"A shadow. It was like a huge wolf, but with the forelegs of an insect and the tail of a fox. It had fangs like knives, and as many eyes as a spider. Everything but its eyes were sha..."

The elf stops.

"You think I'm insane." he says.

"Rather, I think the opposite. I have seen the shadows as well. I have one question, though - if such a fearsome creature truly beset you, how did you escape?"

"I fought with the beast for a long time. We sparred, and it leapt back into a beam of moonlight. It hissed and smoked as the light fell upon it. I stayed in the moonlight for the rest of that night, watching as the beast circled me. For hours, it simply went in circles around me, and I could do nothing but watch. When the sun started to rise, the dreadful thing finally left, and I wandered around the woods until I happened here."

You tell him and Elise what the old man said.

"Really?" asks Elise, excited. "Why do we even wait? Let's go!"

((Ah, I see! I think...))

"I have slept on your riddle, and the answer has come to me, in midst of dream. Could the blades you speak of be buried in a battlefield, somewhere within this forest?"

If the man assents, Han Yu embarks on his mission, and searches the nearby forest for the tracks/traces of a man and a girl.

After encountering the man similar to the description the old man gave you, you return to the merchant's cart.

"Have you solved the riddle yet?" asks the merchant.

"I don't know. I had a dream, however, and I think the answer may have been delivered to me within it. Is the answer a battlefield within the forest?"

The merchant cackles.

"Elf, if I knew the answer, I wouldn't be asking you!"

Knowing only one battlefield in the entire forest, you go over to the defiled Gnomish village. A group of elves are besieging a makeshift wooden outpost built by the goblins.

Where steel meets steel...

A goblin's sword deflects the spear of an elf.

And wood meets ground...

The crude goblin fort, made of wood, sags into the mud.

Where no man goes...

The area between the elven besiegers and the goblins is a hellish landscape.

And the fallen reek...

Bloated corpses release the smell of death. Ravens circle above, awaiting their feast.

Gromble

You wake up. Action cancelled...
-26 hp!
You're covered in injuries. You must have shifted last night. You fear the worst...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23