Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 37

Author Topic: Exmortal (IC Thread)  (Read 48884 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Exmortal (IC Thread)
« Reply #450 on: February 19, 2017, 02:47:37 am »

Spoiler: Solj reads (click to show/hide)

"I need something silent, like a laser," she announces, going through the weapon chest. "But it also needs to deal with armor, really quickly too... what's the rating?"

Gilles would know: The weapon fires megawatt pulses, but the total average power is only in the range of 7-8 kW. Lasers tend to punch through light armor extremely quickly, but this power level won't do for thicker armor in combat, though it depends on how she plans to use the weapon.
A sniper wouldn't require as much power, for example, because the weapon is braced and the user can fire when the target isn't moving.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 19, 2017, 02:55:41 am »

"Silent, armor piercing. Sounds rather uncouth, honestly."

Take a closer look at the women's gear. Apparently she's wearing either an AI or some very powerful comms equipment. Is there any evidence of this? Secondly, she needs to get audio to her visor, which either means she's deaf, or that her helmet is insulated from noise for some reason. Gently send some sonar her way to test the second theory.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 19, 2017, 03:05:58 am »

"Silent, armor piercing. Sounds rather uncouth, honestly."

Take a closer look at the women's gear. Apparently she's wearing either an AI or some very powerful comms equipment. Is there any evidence of this? Secondly, she needs to get audio to her visor, which either means she's deaf, or that her helmet is insulated from noise for some reason. Gently send some sonar her way to test the second theory.

The adventurer doesn't seem to be holding any weapons. Nothing holstered either. It's an odd setup.

Her face is mostly visible, as the faceplate on her helmet is mounted on a hinge. It's currently flipped up.
The sonar backscatter is what one would expect from a regular human face.

Solj looks for evidence of communications equipment. Communicating with the surface down here would be impossible with a radio, but a string of drones could theoretically pass a comm link up the tunnels and to a transmitter/receiver on the surface. He shifts his focus toward the tunnel behind the visitor, and discovers a tetrahedron-shaped drone hovering in the dark, an antenna sticking out of each corner.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 19, 2017, 03:25:48 am »

Solj speaks directly into Giles's helmet. It would be a little rude to talk about this in public.
"Her setup is strange, to say the least. Apparently, microphones on her person pick up our speech, the data is transmitted via a series of drones to the surface, where someone listens in and types a transcript, which is then sent all the way back to her visor for her to read. Can you think of any purpose for this?"

Watch to see if her visor shows what I say privately to Giles.
Also, confirm that the text is paraphrasing us, and not just repeating exactly what we say. It looks like it to me, but you might just be paraphrasing yourself.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 03:29:50 am by Egan_BW »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 19, 2017, 08:35:01 am »

"The laser-based weapons, then. Megawatt pulses, total average power in the range of seven to eight kilowatts." Gilles replied. "Do you need something for a specific job?"
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 20, 2017, 01:46:17 am »

"The laser-based weapons, then. Megawatt pulses, total average power in the range of seven to eight kilowatts." Gilles replied. "Do you need something for a specific job?"

She pauses, and after some text scrolls out on her visor, she announces:
"Not enough. Our target is a man possessed by a ghost of war. He wears a thick helmet, and unless the laser is powerful enough to burn through in milliseconds, it will be blocked by mage power." She glances at Raioyris. "We could use a magician, though..."

Solj speaks directly into Giles's helmet. It would be a little rude to talk about this in public.
"Her setup is strange, to say the least. Apparently, microphones on her person pick up our speech, the data is transmitted via a series of drones to the surface, where someone listens in and types a transcript, which is then sent all the way back to her visor for her to read. Can you think of any purpose for this?"

Watch to see if her visor shows what I say privately to Giles.
Also, confirm that the text is paraphrasing us, and not just repeating exactly what we say. It looks like it to me, but you might just be paraphrasing yourself.

The text does seem to repeat, but with some discretion. When a lot of people are talking at once, it tends to paraphrase and cut down the length of the transcript. It also seems to eliminate jokes.
The visor shows no trace of Solj's speech.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 20, 2017, 07:35:38 am »

"Solj, I have no idea why there'd be something like that. Maybe to filter out external distractions? She might be part of a greater group and working as their Labyrinth spelunker."

Gilles wasn't sure himself why there was such a bizarre setup going on, but he also was interested in making a sale. He frowned when it turned out none of what he had seemed enough to satisfy her requirements.

"Yeah, you're looking for something really powerful. Maybe we could help you directly if you give us more information."
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 20, 2017, 01:59:29 pm »

Hermia squaks.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 22, 2017, 03:28:27 am »

Realizing that he'd have a lot of trouble once he needed to reload or maintain his current gun, Johan took a look into the armory himself, trying to find a weapon that might be a bit easier to use.

((Missed this))

Johan digs out a small pistol and a couple of magazines. Simple to use, point-and-click.

There are lots of intimidating long rifles and such. He feels like those would require more finesse, but then again, he wasn't an expert on guns.

"Solj, I have no idea why there'd be something like that. Maybe to filter out external distractions? She might be part of a greater group and working as their Labyrinth spelunker."

Gilles wasn't sure himself why there was such a bizarre setup going on, but he also was interested in making a sale. He frowned when it turned out none of what he had seemed enough to satisfy her requirements.

"Yeah, you're looking for something really powerful. Maybe we could help you directly if you give us more information."

"Sure!"

She blanks out for a moment, staring into her visor.

"The target is a noble who wandered into a dungeon and found a spirit called Ptah, which he used to build houses for the village, and make sure that his laws are enforced. It was pretty well-received."
"But as of late, he's become paranoid and arbitrary. The spirit is taking over his mind, and because of that I've resolved to remove him by any means necessary."
"He wears his armor when he goes outdoors. When he's in the castle, he tends to lower his guard, but infiltrating the castle would be difficult. I'm planning to ambush him outside with a powerful weapon, one that can kill him before his spirit can react and deflect the blow."

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 22, 2017, 12:40:01 pm »

What do you make of this Ptah guy Beatrice and...

Hm... What is your name?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 12:44:33 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 22, 2017, 05:37:19 pm »

"So an assassination. You know, have you ever considered asking for a Magician's help to get that spirit off him and checking if that doesn't fix the problem?" Gilles pointed out, baffled at what seemed like the other person's lack of imagination. Or common sense.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:06:51 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 22, 2017, 06:58:13 pm »

"Spirit removal is my specialty. I'll likely need to make contact with this guy though."

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 23, 2017, 01:36:20 am »

"Correction: Spirit accumulation is his specialty. Perhaps you could wait for the spirit to migrate to Rai here, then shoot him instead. Probably a softer target."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 23, 2017, 02:11:52 am »

"So an assassination. You know, have you ever considered asking for a Magician's help to get that spirit off him and checking if that doesn't fix the problem?" Gilles pointed out, baffled at what seemed like the other person's lack of imagination. Or common sense.

"That's what I tried to do!" she pleads. "But he has quite the reputation for being powerful. I mean, really powerful. He once smashed a criminal between two boulders."

Her shoulders shrug.
"Nobody wants to take the job. They're afraid the spirit will lash out to defend itself."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 23, 2017, 08:57:24 am »

"If their armor is as good as you say, it's unlikely you'll find anything portable and powerful enough any time soon. On the other side, we could probably take the job; I restrain the target and Rai does his stuff. It involves doing something to spirits, and probably getting them inside of him."

"And what's the matter with with your visor's text?"
>Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 37