Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 37

Author Topic: Exmortal (IC Thread)  (Read 48872 times)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: Exmortal (IC Thread)
« Reply #315 on: January 23, 2017, 02:02:27 am »

"Fateful.

What brings you here? I don't recall breaching the labyrinth's civil code."
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 23, 2017, 02:18:04 am »

"Fateful.

What brings you here? I don't recall breaching the labyrinth's civil code."

"No song goes unheard in these halls,"

She turns her face to look at the children.

"Perhaps it depends on your definition of song," she looks past the grass clone, and meets Raioyris' gaze. "Beatrice, I know your deeds. For you to mislead this human into sharing with your corruption..." she paces past the clone, which dissolves into blades of grass. "Inexcusable."

The children seemed to have stopped crying, and are now asleep.

"I would have drained the life out of you, and banished you to an eternity of purgation, if it were not for the innocence that has now become a part of you."

"But now the other side of you has been tested, and found wanting. A man who would pull a gun on a child? Really?"
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 23, 2017, 02:28:38 am »

"It was all for you.

Though I didn't imagine at the time that it was you. We're hunting the spirit powering Eugenius.

So, you're going to stop me from pointing a fake gun at the child mirage of a man who declared and acted upon his intent to kill me?

The spirit is so distant and it glimmers so faint, show me your grace. What will you do?"
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:10:40 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 23, 2017, 02:44:59 am »

"It was all for you.

Though I didn't imagine that the spirit we were hunting would end up being you.

So, you're going to stop me from pointing a fake gun at the child mirage of a man who declared and acted upon his intent to kill me?

The spirit is so distant and it glimmers so faint, show me your grace. What will you do?"

"I am no spirit. I will show you grace."
"I am letting you go free. Humans are fallible creatures. They are judged by all the fruit of their works, and not just a bite."

She looks back toward the children. "The other spirit is asleep in the image of his friend. I did not allow either of them to have a lucid consciousness, for if you were to battle, you could end up causing irreparable damage to the magician whose memory you now inhabit. For now I shall present you with a choice: I could silence Eugenius' sister spirit, and make her sleep for eternity, or I could do the same to your own. Whichever you choose would end the conflict the man Eugenius so rightfully seeks."
Beatrice comes to life in the form of water.
"You let him decide that on a whim? He's only human!"
{10 -> 5} The banshee hurls a machete from her sleeve, impaling the image of Beatrice and causing it to slowly melt into the ground, turning a murky brown as it soaks into the dirt floor.
"Silence. You have nothing to gain and everything to lose."

The Banshee turns back to Rai. "I could also present you with a third option: Humiliate Eugenius by lifting that spirit from his soul and handing it over to you." She smiles, and puts a hand to her chin. "That could be fun."
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:47:41 am by _DivideByZero_ »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 23, 2017, 02:56:51 am »

"Another?

Sure."

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 23, 2017, 03:23:31 am »

"Alright. Consider this a favor.

...There's a good chance you were both going to kill each other."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 23, 2017, 10:10:08 am »

"Medic, can't you make yourself useful? Stay in cover if you want, but do something!" Gilles shouted at Johan, unlocking part of his box so the man could get something from the stash and start contributing. The situation was looking more difficult by the moment and he couldn't figure why they had someone cowering.

The merchant checked the systems and then the tactical situation while the lasso was violently detached from the winch system via a small guillotine-like blade, keeping the book tied and allowing the Aurogen to produce another lasso. He only had one of his main hands available to throw one—the other was occupied holding the talking gun. The rope quickly swung as he tried to catch more than one enemy. "Power Armor and Milenus, retreat! Solj, can you help with the barrier?"

Multi-Heavy attack: spin the lasso right to left and try to tie the book controlling the skeletons attacking Havelock while at the same time smacking one of the books out of the triangle position.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:37:14 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 23, 2017, 11:25:50 am »

"Very probably. Awaiting empirical data."

Hit that barrier with a UV laser. Hopefully it will bypass the barrier and cut apart the summoning dragon.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 11:03:47 pm by Egan_BW »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 23, 2017, 06:53:57 pm »

"Smoke does not stop enemy fire, what if the robots decided to shoot blindly?"
Courage-related insults aside, Johan tried to move over from his position to Gilles' stash, using whatever cover he could. Once at the stash, he searched for a usable ranged weapon.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 24, 2017, 02:01:08 am »

(Gotta catch em all)

"Another?

Sure."

The Banshee glides away, leaving the warehouse through one of the exits.

The little boy Claude stirs, and awakens. He stands up and takes a look at his hands, and at his surroundings. His black hair casts a shadow on his face.
"I see now," he remarks. "It was all a ruse,"

He looks at Raioyris in the eye.

"How did you do it? What are you?" he asks. "Do you know what you've done?"

"You've created your own nightmare."

Claude's head sails off in an arc, replaced by the shadow it cast; half a head in full darkness, the top half missing, if not for the dark frazzled hair which grows out steadily to the floor, with an appearance dark as night.
"And now it won't end when we're done here!"

The lights go out.

"Medic, can't you make yourself useful? Stay in cover if you want, but do something!" Gilles shouted at Johan, unlocking part of his box so the man could get something from the stash and start contributing. The situation was looking more difficult by the moment and he couldn't figure why they had someone cowering.

The merchant checked the systems and then the tactical situation while the lasso detached, keeping the book tied and allowing him to produce another lasso. He only had one of his main hands available to throw one—the other was occupied holding the talking gun. The rope quickly swung as he tried to catch more than one enemy. "Power Armor and Milenus, retreat! Solj, can you help with the barrier?"

Multi-Heavy attack: spin the lasso right to left and try to tie the book controlling the skeletons attacking Havelock while at the same time smacking one of the books out of the triangle position.

Gilles hurls the book, along with the weight of the steel rope, [7 => 3][Constitution 5 -> 2] sending it flying far and wide across the room. It strikes true, and knocks one of the books in the triangle formation up and over the wall of pages. The wall reorganizes itself to form a panel between the two remaining books.
[7 => 1][Constitution 5 -> 1] The rope then tangles itself around the scaffold at the base of the stairs. It's not really possible to curve a rope outwards once it's already thrown.

"Very probably. Awaiting empirical data."

Hit that barrier with a UV laser. Hopefully it will bypass the barrier and cut apart the summoning dragon.

The wall still protects part of the dragon, but if the laser penetrates the wall, it would mean nothing. The dragon would be bisected.

Solj runs his calculations and fires a sweep. [6+5 -> 0+4] But it's no use! The laser clearly ablates the mystic dragon material, but more ethereal form seeps in to take it's place.

It seems that the dragon is some kind of conjuration whose appearance is incidental to its function. One approach would be to attack its source, the books, but that would clearly harm the books themselves, which obviously might be of some use if they could be captured while closed.
The other option would be to simply overwhelm the dragon with enough firepower to break its cohesion.

With one of the books out of the formation, the translucent dragon seems to be fading in appearance.

"Smoke does not stop enemy fire, what if the robots decided to shoot blindly?"
Courage-related insults aside, Johan tried to move over from his position to Gilles' stash, using whatever cover he could. Once at the stash, he searched for a usable ranged weapon.

Johan combs through the box to find a triangular weapon with a large capacitor bank at the back, its lower half featuring a tripod that folds against the case of the weapon itself when not in use. It's heavy, though, but it seems to fit this particular situation. On the back there is a seal of approval, printed by some environmental commission: ZERO EMISSIONS.
He mounts the laser on top of the coffer, with an excellent field of fire at the top of the ledge.

{3 -> 0} The book charging the fireball spell catches fire and explodes, clearing out some of the smoke around it. (1 book)
{3 -> 1} Skeletons charge into the smoke... they trip on the ball bearings, and become immobilized. (2 books)
{3 -> 1} The AK fires once more. And once more, it is proven that skeletons have just too low a body mass to adequately fire 8mm ammo. (3 books)
{3 -> 1} The skeletons press the assault on (Havelock), but their attacks now glance off his armor. The furious warrior rips a femur off of the nearest skeleton, (6 -> 2) leaps to his feet, and (6 -> 3) knocks apart the remainder of the skeletons on his side. The book controlling them snaps shut and falls to the ground. (4 books)
{3 -> 0} The Iron Guardian is now unarmed. It reaches into the ground and begins to transmute a spear out of the floor tiles.

(6 -> 4) A grey figure dashes out of the ball-bearing-infested smoke, freezing a book solid with a single mallet hit. The skeletons near Millenus fall apart, held together by nothing more than animating forces. Millenus takes the time to consider the usefulness of the human skeleton.

{6 -> 2} The remaining books summoning the dragon empower it with mystical energy. Purple motes rise up out of the floor and into its mouth, and from its throat it issues a powerful orange beam which targets Gilles and Solj. Gilles, anticipating some kind of attack, stepped to the side, and it leaves behind a melted crater on the floor where he once stood, which glows purple. [Solj Disrupt 8 ->> 1][Gilles Dodge 3 ->> 2]
Since the dragon is taller than several men, there is no penalty to hitting it due to distance or smoke. (6 books)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:46:40 am by _DivideByZero_ »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 24, 2017, 02:36:03 am »

Raioyris sighs, "My own nightmare? Yeah, keep guessing."

Forgive me for not consulting with you Beatrice.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 24, 2017, 02:48:57 am »

Raioyris sighs, "My own nightmare? Yeah, keep guessing."

Forgive me for not consulting with you Beatrice.

...I am speechless...

[9 => 4] Without word or sound, an attack strikes Raioyris across the torso, and sends him falling back into an abyss with no end in sight.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 24, 2017, 10:04:32 am »

"Disruption through firepower."

Get some explosives on the dragon. If possible, get more data on "grey figure." Ally or enemy?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 24, 2017, 06:45:44 pm »

"Lasso's out of commission, swapping strategies! Anyone knows who's that?" Gilles shouted, letting go of the cable and starting to spring towards the dragon and books, one arm still keeping Solj aimed at the dragon. The Absalom hardsuit wasn't exactly fast, but when it went going in a straight line, it was about as destructive (and graceless) as an ancient Terran rhino.

As Gilles got closer, the powerful servos on the suit whirred, allowing him to make a short leap, which he used to execute an overhead double-fist smash at the dragon.

Heavy attack: SLAM the dragon.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 24, 2017, 09:48:33 pm »

"Real smooth.

You've got zero grace."

Raioyris shudders as his pandora cells rearrange to produce a bioluminescence about his exposed skin, like a luciferase.

"You know I used to have a lot of falling dreams.

Never landed though."

Then, with darting eyes Raioyris locks onto the rouge spirit and takes a wide swing at its legs or a few shots with his 92FS.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 06:18:12 pm by WunderKatze »

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 37