Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37

Author Topic: Exmortal (IC Thread)  (Read 48805 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Exmortal (IC Thread)
« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2016, 09:36:05 pm »

Rai acts with blinding speed [8 -> 5 Hits].
Gilles reacts quickly [4 -> 2 Counter-hits].
Solj suffers a momentary glitch, reducing his programs' effectiveness [8 -> 1 Counter-hit]

(Stopping his action is a Disruption, so you need to roll 6's in order to remove his Hits. Note that I did count the total number of 5's and 6's for both actions as well, and your combined value was still less than Rai's hits. So, here goes.)

Rai disregards the talking gun and lunges forward. Solj aims himself with the help of his Mage Hand (what good is a talking gun that can't contribute to his user's aim?) while Gilles needs little but to turn his weapon slightly to the left and target his companion's intended trajectory.

Raioyris is fast, but he isn't so fast as to blink invisibly across several meters. The Banshee reacts, not by fluttering out of the way on her lightweight frame, but rather with a gleeful smile, just for a mmoment. Her flesh vanishes in an instant, leaving her gown and locks of purple hair flowing to the ground. Rai encounters no resistance and stumbles forward as he is hit in the back with a mixed barrage of low-energy bullets and expanding foam shells. [Gilles: 9 -> 2 Hits] [Solj: 6 -> 1, Reflex to negate evasiveness-> 1]. He goes down hard, sliding across the floor for quite a surprising distance before knocking apart a skeleton tucked into a bend in the tunnel. He tries to climb back up to his feet, but slips; the passage ahead is slick with ice!

Raioyris is now stunned and immobilized. (See OOC thread for descriptions of these Statuses.)

The Banshee's remnants stir on their own. Strings of silvery white metal emerge from the neck and sleeves in order to weave themselves together into a kind of fabric, which then changes into a fleshy tone. The total process lasts a couple of second, but as Raioyris' stepping out of line has revealed, there wasn't much for this mythical creature to rebuild.

"Congratulations, you've learned my secret. No mortal has thus far made this discovery, save for you lot."
She straightens her neck. Apparently there were some creases in it.
"This is good for you, isn't it? Now you have collateral against me, to reveal my weakness to the outside world."

"But I came here to make a proposal. Dozens of mortals meet their doom inside these passages. But I will tell you, there are sinners in these dungeons. Far worse than yourselves. I can't hold it against you for causing these spiders accidental harm...

If you ever find one of these sinners, just sing a song. Any song. Your voice will not go unheard."
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:05:46 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2016, 09:59:59 pm »

"Got it, I'll sure do it Lady. And I'm sorry about our companion's behavior."

"Rai, we need to have a talk about manners and impulsive behavior. If you can't control yourself, you're getting either you or us killed."
Gilles admonished yet again, his tone sterner this time. He also failed to apply the foam's solvent just now, preferring to let his companion enjoy his moment of forced quietness.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 07:19:42 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2016, 10:07:32 pm »

"Unexpected. Apologies for the delay."

Run a diagnostic to find the reason why I reacted so slowly.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2016, 11:47:53 pm »

"Kind of what I expected,

I don't think you get to define what is good for us or at least for me. I'm looking forward to meeting you again."

Raioyris writhes on the ground a bit, "Ouch."

Call my spiders for a while and directly observe their behavior to each other. Stop them if I observe violence.

Hermia scolds Gilles with a loud caw.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 12:06:06 am by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2016, 11:49:31 pm »

"Spider carcasses."

"Correct! Though to be fair, you did set them up for failure..." she says, chuckling.
"There's two types of spiders in this tunnel. They don't like each other. You'd do well to keep them apart."

Three types actually!

Wilbur states, belatedly. It's somehow easy to tell that the configuration of his spider face is a smile. And a proud one at that.

Check if Wulbur, being a denizen already knows her. (PM details? If any about their relationship.)
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2016, 12:00:46 am »

((moved to occ))
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 12:09:36 am by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2016, 02:43:16 am »

"Unexpected. Apologies for the delay."

Run a diagnostic to find the reason why I reacted so slowly.

[3 -> 1] Solj runs a self-inspection, and discovers a bug in his system.

Quite literally, a bug.

An iridescent scarab-styled beetle waltzes across the sensor bank again.

"Kind of what I expected,

I don't think you get to define what is good for us or at least for me. I'm looking forward to meeting you again."

Raioyris writhes on the ground a bit, "Ouch."

Call my spiders for a while and directly observe their behavior to each other. Stop them if I observe violence.

Hermia scolds Gilles with a loud caw.

"Hmm, indeed! I quite enjoyed the spectacle myself."

You sense a powerful Aura from the Banshee's direction. Normally, a magician's power leaks out into the surroundings and results in minor effects, such as increased plant growth, or perhaps an increase in paranormal activity.

This being's power has a substantial effect. Your own body is unaffected... but you can feel the bugs in the walls, the snakes in the gutters, the sludge dripping from the ceiling... and they all sing her song.

"Spider carcasses."

"Correct! Though to be fair, you did set them up for failure..." she says, chuckling.
"There's two types of spiders in this tunnel. They don't like each other. You'd do well to keep them apart."

Three types actually!

Wilbur states, belatedly. It's somehow easy to tell that the configuration of his spider face is a smile. And a proud one at that.

Check if Wulbur, being a denizen already knows her. (PM details? If any about their relationship.)

The Banshee meets yours with a sly grin, but nothing more. She starts to hum a new song as she turns to step past Raioyris and into the icy tunnel. It is a familiar song.

Quote from: A dream?
Bursts of plasma fire lit the dungeonscape with irregular flashes. The Exterminators had pressed the advance all the way to the hive entrance, where the blood red pillars holding up the ceiling had long collapsed into rubble. The Icon of Ruzhimus, once proudly displayed above the pearly gates, was now in tatters, half burning from stray fire.
The Exterminators had broken the defensive formation. Their heat lances melted through your brethren's armor and punched through their skeletons, spilling lavender across the floor, occasionally mingled with tinges of red.

Hope was lost. The Exterminators made it to the Hive. At this point, you had no advantage left to press. In the large open spaces of the Hive the enemy could bring to bear heavy ranged firepower, demolishing your forces.

But then you heard a song. A piercing howl like a banshee's. A very distinctive song, discordant in its rhythm, paced with a slow tempo. The Exterminators' weapons turned against their masters, from out of their own hands, sealing their fates in a cacaphonous symphony of destruction. They went down in flames, and at that point reinforcements arrived from the east, or perhaps a sortie, inspired by the sudden chaos in the enemy ranks. Soon enough, the enemy lines were collapsed, sending them back into the tunnels.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:55:10 am by _DivideByZero_ »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2016, 04:05:01 am »

Wilbur comes back, heart thumping in his little metal chest.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 29, 2016, 04:28:41 am »

"There appears to be a scarab inside my targetting array."

Remove the bug using mage hand.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2016, 07:37:24 am »

Though Gilles hadn't showed that outwardly, he was excited about meeting the Banshee after the tension had finally passed. Managing an unique meeting with a mythical entity of the labyrinth so early in their first big expedition, talking to her, and walking away no worse for wear (except for Raioyris, but that was another matter entirely), was a good sign. She was the kind of exceptional Ghost whose origin he'd like to research about.

Gilles ignored Hermia, continuing to address the so far friendly entity. "Is that all, Lady? Because I'm curious: how do you feel about the 'Banshee' title?"

Ask question above.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 29, 2016, 01:50:53 pm »

Raioyris grins, "Fun at a cost."

"Hermia stop," Hermia relents and reunites with the immobile Raioyris.

Get up use my locus to break the foam? on me.

"I'll be honest, I don't really want this eye. But I wouldn't be a good dealer if I let it go for free. Perhaps you can do me a favor later, when you have something I need," Give Millennia the eye if he still wants it, otherwise keep it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 04:23:05 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 29, 2016, 04:28:40 pm »

Raioyris grins, "Fun at a cost."

"Hermia stop," Hermia relents and reunites with the immobile Raioyris.

Get up use my locus to break the foam? on me.

"I'll be honest, I don't really want this eye. But I wouldn't be a good tradesman if I let it go for free. Perhaps you can do me a favor later, when you have something I need," Give Millennia the eye if he still wants it, otherwise keep it.

[5 -> 3] Rai scrapes the foam off of his body with a sharpened locus.

"There appears to be a scarab inside my targetting array."

Remove the bug using mage hand.

[6 -> 2] The bug is forcibly removed. Its abdomen opens inside Solj's grip, depositing the battery that powers the insect.

Though Gilles hadn't showed that outwardly, he was excited about meeting the Banshee after the tension had finally passed. Managing an unique meeting with a mythical entity of the labyrinth so early in their first big expedition, talking to her, and walking away no worse for wear (except for Raioyris, but that was another matter entirely), was a good sign. She was the kind of exceptional Ghost whose origin he'd like to research about.

Gilles ignored Hermia, continuing to address the so far friendly entity. "Is that all, Lady? Because I'm curious: how do you feel about the 'Banshee' title?"

Ask question above.

"It's a bit harsh," she replies. "Part of the human tendency to fill in the gaps with explanations of their own choosing, I suppose. The title is evocative of some ugly woman that murders people. I do not murder,"

The so-called Banshee starts to back away into the shadows.

"I only take what has already been lost."

A thud echoes across across the passage up ahead. It is a dull thud, from very far up ahead, and it echoes several times. Something loud and distant must have caused it.

More importantly, Wilbur's navigation senses indicate that his elevator is nearby. Easily reachable through the tunnels in the walls, though the rest of the party will probably have a hard time squeezing through those.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2016, 05:17:50 pm »

Gilles moved his gaze away for a moment to take a look at what the talking gun was talking about and his eyes shone. "Solj, can I take a look at that little beetle?" he asked, one of his hands for finer manipulation extending. Even the smallest of robots tended to catch his attention.

"So you did accept the 'ugly' part? That's too harsh of you. I suppose it's time to say g-" the Aurogen replied jokingly to the Banshee, stopping mid-sentence when he heard the noise. "Well, what was that?"

Ask.
>Yes?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2016, 05:32:31 pm »

"So you did accept the 'ugly' part? That's too harsh of you. I suppose it's time to say g-" the Aurogen replied jokingly to the Banshee, stopping mid-sentence when he heard the noise. "Well, what was that?"

"Hmm? From the age I come from, evil and beauty go hand in hand."

Then the noise happens.

"Sounds like a heated negotiation." She looks you in the eye. "I do not hear the cry of the blood of innocents. You may go. I have no place in this one."

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 29, 2016, 06:44:42 pm »

Check out the noise.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37