Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37

Author Topic: Exmortal (IC Thread)  (Read 48827 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Exmortal (IC Thread)
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2016, 11:08:16 am »

Foreman quietly walks into the labyrinth, intent on doing something useful by scouting the location. He leaves his drone army parked out somewhere unobtrusive but close to the maw.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2016, 02:35:45 pm »

Millenus follows

What happens if my body is destroyed in the labyrinth? How easy is it to passes things and what can I posses?
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2016, 05:38:15 pm »

Having been expecting no interruptions, Gilles was surprised when the peddler tried to hawk them the gun, most likely because their group looked like it could afford the expensive piece of tech. Any consideration on whether they should purchase the weapon—it sounded like the kind of thing he was interested in—was quickly interrupted by the officer's appearance. The fact the weapon not only spoke but appeared to be a high-level AI came as a second surprise and gave weight to the charge of slavery.

The Absalom hardsuit's cockpit opened halfway to reveal Gilles, who had one hand on the controls and another on his large mustache, as well as a look of obvious interest trained on the gun. Still, he addressed the cop first. "Everything's cyclic, officer. Don't you think so? We're living in a dark age, and we'll hopefully get it fixed back up. Then there might be another dark age far ahead, but we've done our part to make things better for a while." he said before turning his attention back to the gun.

"At least you're in what I'd like to believe to be good hands now. Do you have a name or designation?" he asked.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2016, 07:00:40 pm »

"Everything's cyclic, officer. Don't you think so? We're living in a dark age, and we'll hopefully get it fixed back up. Then there might be another dark age far ahead, but we've done our part to make things better for a while."

"It's true... if there wasn't any chance of making things better, I wouldn't be here."

"The strangers in this case seem friendly enough. Whether sold by him or liberated by you, I'm now held in the arms of the same person. The only difference that you brought along was whether or not currency passes hands over my transfer, which is of little relevance to me, all said."

"Fantastic... then you wouldn't mind me carrying this goon off to the station, will you? Feel free to choose your own fate. And your own consequences."

With that, the short interlude ends, and two of the groups members have already taken to clearing the gates.

Two enormous slabs of iron, each two hundred meters tall and cast with interlocking patterns of stars, four-sided ones to represent the First Humans, who came long ago to this Earth in search of a world free from ruin. five-sided stars represent the Azure, who enhanced themselves with a new metal limb, merging with technology to live a new existence. Six-sided stars represent the Magicians, who sought a return to the historical, the artistic, and the metaphysical. Seven-sided stars, scattered across the mural, represent the puppets, who became inhuman to pursue humanity, who experienced the gravest mortality in their search for immortality. Eight-sided stars represent the Aurogen, close to the core of the design, who built this place prior to their demise for purposes unknown, but did more to satisfy the human passion for industry and liberty than any of the prior factions that ruled this Earth.

At the core is a twelve-sided star, surrounded by six ten-sided stars. Their meanings are speculated upon by the higher scholars, but the true significance of this design has never been fully known.

To the door's side is a gigantic lever. It takes three grown men to push it aside and unlock the door.

The great doors part with a rumble like wind through the hills. They swing outward, forcing everyone to stand back, and the smell of rust and bone wafts from the breach. They open to a cylindrical chamber as high as the doors themselves, with a circular walkway surrounding a spiral staircase, and at the bottom of the chamber, lies a hub with many doorways, some of which are locked, some of which are not. A robotic spider, about dog-sized, currently darts door to door, affixing padlocks from a bag attached to its shoulder. Another robot spider, similar in build, is taking locks off the doors as we speak.
Each door is about four meters high and pales in comparison to the majesty of the chamber, being made of oak wood reinforced with bar iron.

Despite the building's sheer height, there are no structures that look like stairwells leading to the higher levels of the structure. Iron portholes, made to fit the curve of the chamber, each about two meters wide, dot the upper levels of the chamber but are far from reach; a single grand chandelier hands down and stretches down to the level of the walway, a hundred fifty meters down, but it hangs in the middle of the chamber where there is a gaping hole in the floor, making way for the spiral stairs.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2016, 11:40:55 pm »

"At least you're in what I'd like to believe to be good hands now. Do you have a name or designation?" he asked.
"I never had much opportunity to acquire a real name. My number is S-O-5-L-G-S, but you may call me what you like. In fact, it might be optimal to create a new name for me right now."

"Raioyris, would you mind... using me to poke one of those spiders? I wish to see if I can communicate."

If possible, communicate via nanobot connection with the spider adding locks.

Also attempt to recall my knowledge of the layout of this place. It is surely lesser than Wilbur's, but redundancy never hurt.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 11:44:18 pm by Egan_BW »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2016, 01:39:12 am »

Hermia stares nervously at the newly revealed space.

S-O-5-L-G-S... Sol-g .... solj?

"How about Solj?

Poke them? Are you sure that is a good idea?

Hello?"

Raioyris pokes the robot with SO5lgs if they don't respond. Also establish nanobot connections with them, find out their purposes for locking and unlocking (respectively) the doors.

((And thus begins the series of guess-tries until we figure out how to properly use mage power))
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 01:43:06 am by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2016, 01:44:10 am »

"Reminiscent of 'Soldier'. This will do, if no better proposals are made.
I calculate this it's a reasonable risk. These drones are not hostile, and should have most of the same protocols as myself."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2016, 02:09:55 am »

Also attempt to recall my knowledge of the layout of this place. It is surely lesser than Wilbur's, but redundancy never hurt.[/b]

Business as usual, it seems. The upper levels of the Labyrinth are not-at-all a mystery to the common adventurer; these winding, branching paths eventually lead to a massive library underneath the ground. It is thought that all of the tunnels eventually converge on the next floor if one is to follow the wide paths and not the side-tunnels, but due to the fact that there are dozens of entrances, it can't be said with certainty that this is the case.

This "Floor 0" is known as the Webworks, and is often used as a training ground for those who wish to train and prepare for the depths. Most of the treasure is long gone, but there are still occasional dead-ends with a treasure-chamber hidden past an ancient door. The ancient doors use numerical combinations most of the time, but the spiderkin throughout the webworks are always bustling about, unlocking things at random, and putting padlocks on them.
The actual denizens of this floor are rather cuddly, and won't attack unprovoked. While most of them won't talk, roughly half of the spiders spend their time removing locks, and thus could be considered helpers. They say that there are dangerous spiders deep inside the tunnels, much larger than a man, and containing valuable parts, but if they are real they seem to be either rare, or their victims never live to tell the tale.

Wilbur recalls the beginning of his existence. He was born with a desire, a powerful, all-consuming passion to secure everything and make sure that invaders could never steal his underground world's treasures. He emerged from a vein inside the wall, which leached minerals from the surrounding terrain and built more of his kind. He remembers a glimpse of his past, back from when he gleefully and blindly followed his directive; a party of adventurers was returning to the surface, weary and wounded. But Wilbur locked one of the doors they had come through and, unable to break the lock from the other side, the adventurers starved to death one by one.

Raioyris pokes the robot with SO5lgs if they don't respond. Also establish nanobot connections with them, find out their purposes for locking and unlocking (respectively) the doors.

As Solj joins the wayward amalgam's loadout, it begins to feel a foreign presence of curiosity. It is clear that this man is of the Magicians. It is even said (by the poetic types) that the grasses and trees sing of a Magician's presence whenever one is near.

The spider does not talk, but it does react to the party's presence with a curious look. It crawls up to cover the lock it just placed, as if defending it.

Raioyris' amulet glows, and he hears a series of murmurs from the spider's simple mind: "Protect. Intruding."
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2016, 03:26:20 am »

Sauce Legs.

Definately.

Sauce Legs.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 03:35:27 am by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2016, 03:31:14 am »

"No legs?"
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2016, 03:35:48 am »

Wilbur seems to really think about it for a moment...

Or...

SOFTLEGS

Old Softlegs!
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2016, 03:44:24 am »

"Old softlegs...

That has some quality of sound I suppose.

I guess we need to decide here and now what we are going to try to excavate from these ruins. If we want we can even take these guys"

Raioyris pauses, watching the spiders reactions.

Hermia cocks her head.

"I'm assuming we also want to get some time to play around with some of the goods before we turn them into profit.

I mean, unless you're really all wind about that coming glorious future stuff."

« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 04:14:21 am by WunderKatze »

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2016, 03:45:32 am »

"What are you two rambling about?"

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2016, 04:04:00 am »

Just the weather ol' sof'legs! har har

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2016, 06:12:59 am »

"There isn't much profit to be had here. I've stocked up on some basic supplies we can both consume and sell in the lower levels, to be replaced with loot and profit. And of course we'll check what we get. I fully intend to hoard some of it so I can achieve my goals." Gilles replied, making his suit tap its chest and producing a resounding metallic note. "Good goals, though. What I said about returning to better days wasn't just talk."

He idly watched a few of the spiders scurry by, continually undoing each other's work, feeling a tinge of nostalgia as he recalled his first time in the Webworks. "Wilbur, you used to do that, right? Do you know how to undo locks?"

"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37