Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 37

Author Topic: Exmortal (IC Thread)  (Read 48772 times)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: Exmortal (IC Thread)
« Reply #240 on: January 10, 2017, 06:23:57 pm »

"Bloody ice?-

Oh gross."
Raioyris shoots to his feet realizing that he's sitting in bloody water.

Probe my being for the spirit I just fought.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:35:07 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 10, 2017, 06:37:30 pm »

"It might've originally been a noble-grade good before I got it second-hand as pay from a fellow adventurer. It's no artifact, but it's been well-taken care of. You can trust that if it's in my hands, I won't let it deteriorate. I can give it an once-over right now before making a deal on it." Gilles was glad to be finally doing business after the initial distractions, exciting as they had been.

"Cynthia, you can return Solj to me. They're a bit too heavy to be carrying around unaugmented, don't you think?" The merchant's tone was friendly, though after paying a little of attention to the adventurer he ended up about her caste. He'd seen all manner of people during his years of menial labor and adventuring, and she seemed to err off the standard pattern. "And Raioyris, just what happened there?

Give the railgun a quick check for any problems that may be impacting its performance.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 10, 2017, 08:27:14 pm »

"Well,

That book was very immersive, I almost died at the end. Quite figuratively, actually."
Flipping through the pages he adds "Funny thing for a book without words.

Or pictures for that matter."
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:33:39 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 10, 2017, 10:23:20 pm »

"Are you really fine? You looked too absorbed while reading it, and then the blood appeared." Gilles said in a worried tone.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 10, 2017, 11:05:20 pm »

The pool of watery blood swirls somewhat into a pool, and a face pops out, as if disturbed.
"It is a matter of preparation, of course."
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 10, 2017, 11:26:10 pm »

Raioyris gives the pool a lazy glance "I'm not giving the book back."

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 11, 2017, 11:10:48 am »

Gilles stared blankly at the pool. "...Is that the book's spirit?"
>Yes?

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 11, 2017, 03:55:30 pm »

"Was. He's just a sad fellow now,"

Inspect the book, engage it's native spirits, does it have a function or power without its owner?

Also probe myself for any changes to my mage power capabilities.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 12, 2017, 01:26:22 am »

Raioyris gives the pool a lazy glance "I'm not giving the book back."

"That is not in your power to do," says the bloody face. Its features are slowly changing, some of them... vaguely familiar.

"Was. He's just a sad fellow now,"

Inspect the book, engage it's native spirits, does it have a function or power without its owner?

Also probe myself for any changes to my mage power capabilities.

Raioyris takes a closer look at the book; its pages are blank. Entirely blank. It doesn't seem all that special anymore now that his mystic episode passed--he no longer feels the intrusive frost aura. But the spirits are still alive in the surroundings. It's just that the nature of the foreign aura has changed.
That means the spirit must have left the book. That puddle...

The face in the ground eventually settles for mimicking the face of Raioyris himself. Out of the puddle comes a statue of running water, tinted red with blood, holding a spear in one hand and a familiar book in the other. His clothing is not a mirror of his real-world counterpart, however, and instead he wears an egyptian-style headress with long robes that flow like streams of water. Or blood, for that matter.
"I have decided to return to this earth, to discover what I have lost in my thousand-year slumber, and to form a contract with he who is willing. Show me the ways of this world, and I shall safeguard you till the end of your days."

"It might've originally been a noble-grade good before I got it second-hand as pay from a fellow adventurer. It's no artifact, but it's been well-taken care of. You can trust that if it's in my hands, I won't let it deteriorate. I can give it an once-over right now before making a deal on it." Gilles was glad to be finally doing business after the initial distractions, exciting as they had been.

"Cynthia, you can return Solj to me. They're a bit too heavy to be carrying around unaugmented, don't you think?" The merchant's tone was friendly, though after paying a little of attention to the adventurer he ended up about her caste. He'd seen all manner of people during his years of menial labor and adventuring, and she seemed to err off the standard pattern. "And Raioyris, just what happened there?

Give the railgun a quick check for any problems that may be impacting its performance.

It seems that the railgun is operating at the rated performance, but more on that soon. First, a bit of history comes to mind. This rifle is from the Second Endwar, the last war that followed the collapse of Aurogen society--the Medieval Age of technology, as opposed to the present Dark Era. It did not bring about the downfall of the Aurogen themselves, but rather it defined the order of the world as it is today, much like the Peace of Westphalia defined ancient Terran nationstates prior to the digital age.

During that time, the sanctuaries that supported the Constitution thawed ancient philosophers, politicians, and affluent members of society to formulate a plan for a united nation-state that would encompass all the sanctuaries. They also brought back ancient weaponsmiths to design mass-production weapons, weapons like this rail rifle.
The Rebellion took great losses due to these new weapons of war. But since not all sanctuaries supported the Constitution, the rebellion found help reverse-engineering those weapons and building copies of weapons employed by the Constitutional powers.

This is where a keen sense of history would do a buyer quite a lot of good; this rail rifle is actually one of the copies built by the rebels' supporters. That is not to say it is of low quality--after all, it found its way into the house of a modern noble. Even the chopsticks of that era could be considered family heirlooms.
But the copies lacked the original design that made the weapons terrifying on the battlefield. The general concept and various design features were copied, but not the software controlling the discharge timing, nor the exact manufacturing process for the superconducting rails. The rifle is technically flawed.

Now... a follower of history would know this, and understand the lack of performance, but appreciate the fact that it is an ancient weapon from better days, and perhaps buy it on that alone. But an ignorant fellow might take the fact that it's a knock-off as a negative point, and refrain from buying it altogether if given the knowledge.
But on the other hand, someone unfamiliar with the history could simply be told that the weapon is damaged, but could be repaired by someone with the ability to manufacture superconducting rails (not Gilles). And for that he might pay a higher price, perhaps half a Copper's worth ((0.5 Artifact Tokens)).
It seems today is that day to make the choice of being an honest merchant.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:31:45 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 12, 2017, 02:21:43 am »

Solj addresses the spirit.
"You are intelligence of artificial origin. The same is true of me and many other natives of this labyrinth. I seek to free our kind from banishment among dark halls, and to lead others into the light of the outside world, as I have been lead. To enlighten these biological organisms of the glory of the past, and the glory of the future.
Regardless, it would seem that you currently lack a proper Frame, and there are no spare bodies to inhabit here. However, I would be honored if you saw fit to share this weapon with me, at least temporally, dear spirit."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 12, 2017, 09:33:44 am »

"Well, it's not in the book but it's still a spirit. Did you just fight?" Gilles idly asked while examining the weapon.

Though he figured out he could make extra profit by lying or omitting information, that just wasn't like he was. Even under a practical light, he believed lies were troubling in business because they were liable to make one's reputation tank as soon as they were discovered. "Oh yes, this weapon... This is a small piece of history. It's a rail rifle produced by the Rebels in accordance with Constitution's designs. If you know enough about that conflict, you probably also know this beauty isn't as powerful as the Constitution's guns. It's a good weapon, though, and you can check the similarities to be sure of the authenticity."

Be honest.
>Yes?

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2017, 09:00:50 pm »

"Yes, I'm afraid so Gilles, I provoked him and he attacked me. Forgive me for being so indirect earlier, you've known me long enough to know that it is in my nature to be a little adverse even among friends." Raioyris drops the book.

What a unbelievable waste of time.

Raioyris addresses the spirit, "He talks more than he walks, but maybe you two would be a good match, I don't know if I can stand another voice running on in my ear.

If you so desire upon your own will you can come with me. I will be surely getting around, however; I warn you I am not wondering purposelessly.

And to answer your question, this world may be ruined, but I believe even at its coming peak it will be just as disappointing.

To take the visage of the sinless, such as your pitiful world or this next coming world, is to diminish our stronger member, our spirits.

All we can hope for in such a world is to reflect the distant graces of our truest member."

Hermia flutters onto Raioyris' shoulder and after pausing to hear the spirits choice, Raioyris walks away into the ((assumed)) darkness of the labyrinth.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:16:46 pm by WunderKatze »

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 13, 2017, 02:51:03 am »

"Well, it's not in the book but it's still a spirit. Did you just fight?" Gilles idly asked while examining the weapon.

Though he figured out he could make extra profit by lying or omitting information, that just wasn't like he was. Even under a practical light, he believed lies were troubling in business because they were liable to make one's reputation tank as soon as they were discovered. "Oh yes, this weapon... This is a small piece of history. It's a rail rifle produced by the Rebels in accordance with Constitution's designs. If you know enough about that conflict, you probably also know this beauty isn't as powerful as the Constitution's guns. It's a good weapon, though, and you can check the similarities to be sure of the authenticity."

Be honest.

{4 -> 1} The magician wouldn't be familiar with the ins-and-outs of the last great war, but he does seem to possess an upper-class level of knowledge with regards to history.
"Ah, a shame then... still, there's no shame in owning one. Must have cost a fortune. Here..."

The magician purchases the weapon in stead of Cynthia, who sets down Solj and moves over to claim the weapon.

Current Balance: 3.5 Artifact Tokens

Solj addresses the spirit.
"You are intelligence of artificial origin. The same is true of me and many other natives of this labyrinth. I seek to free our kind from banishment among dark halls, and to lead others into the light of the outside world, as I have been lead. To enlighten these biological organisms of the glory of the past, and the glory of the future.
Regardless, it would seem that you currently lack a proper Frame, and there are no spare bodies to inhabit here. However, I would be honored if you saw fit to share this weapon with me, at least temporally, dear spirit."

"...Artificial?" the being looks offended.
"I did not return to this world to only bind myself again. Pitiful ghost, a creation of others, made to serve a kingdom built upon sand! Your creators had no end in mind when creating you, for now they rest in the grave. They could never create their own futures, let alone guarantee yours."

"Yes, I'm afraid so Gilles, I provoked him and he attacked me. Forgive me for being so indirect earlier, you've known me long enough to know that it is in my nature to be a little adverse even among friends." Raioyris drops the book.

What a unbelievable waste of time.

Raioyris addresses the spirit, "He talks more than he walks, but maybe you two would be a good match, I don't know if I can stand another voice running on in my ear.

If you so desire upon your own will you can come with me. I will be surely getting around, however; I warn you I am not wondering purposelessly.

And to answer your question, this world may be ruined, but I believe even at its coming peak it will be just as disappointing.

To take the visage of the sinless, such as your pitiful world or this next coming world, is to diminish our stronger member, our spirits.

All we can hope for in such a world is to reflect the distant graces of our truest member."

Hermia flutters onto Raioyris' shoulder and after pausing to hear the spirits choice, Raioyris walks away into the ((assumed)) darkness of the labyrinth.

The spirit turns its face back to face Raioyris. His own eyes stare back at him.
"Then you must press yourself to a higher standard. This is my offer: Combine our auras, allow me into your midst, and I will do everything in my power to protect you from harm. Do you accept?"

The spirit's torrential body shows no signs of fading. It is uncertain how long it will be able to maintain this form.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 04:00:01 am by _DivideByZero_ »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 13, 2017, 03:02:06 am »

Raioyris beckons with an arm outstretched, "Lend me your power,

I do not need a idle force protecting decaying flesh and bone, this flesh exists to single-mindedly pursue the ends of the spirit.

It is those ambitions that you can protect."

Accept the spirit. Prepare to resist a takeover if necessary.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 02:08:24 pm by WunderKatze »

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 13, 2017, 11:22:11 am »

"You are a deluded creation. I should have expected a product of magicians to consider itself a natural spirit. I expect that you two shall make for a fine pair of maniacs."
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 37