Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: The Rogue One Thread  (Read 10122 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: The Rogue One Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2016, 03:55:22 pm »

Hah.

Finally watched it today.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2016, 03:57:32 pm »

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2016, 04:00:53 pm »

They kill most (if not all) (largish) life on that planet. Plus, the way that it looks I think they would have blown up the tower.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2016, 04:03:37 pm »

You don't need life, you need data.
Data is stored inside those super safe vaults, also in the long time ago their storage disks proably can withstand more.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2016, 04:23:44 pm »

There is no way any part of that base survived. The low-power shot on Jakku casually takes out a mountain, and from a similar distance.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2016, 04:37:07 pm »

It'd have to be buried really, really deep, perhaps shielded and armored, and even then...

Obviously some plans survived somewhere because they built a second one, but without the mole's edits they (accidentally?) corrected the hidden sabotage.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2016, 04:40:21 pm »

Maybe not, DSII was never finished. By the time of the battle it was a superstructure, a planetbuster, and the reactor. As you'll recall, they just flew inside it from one of the giant openings in the armor.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2016, 04:48:34 pm »

You're correct of course. However I got the impression that the Rebel fleet simply had to strike before DSII was finished because they would not be able to repeat the same tactic as last time.

I swear that the EU at some point also mentioned that the single large vent was going to be replaced by many tiny vents, none large enough to admit access to a pair of proton torpedoes. The EU is questionably canon now, but it makes sense that even the Empire would be capable of correcting that sort of flaw.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2016, 04:49:41 pm »

The weak point wasn't the ventilation shaft. The weak point was that shooting the reactor core once would cause a cascading failure that made the whole station go up like the largest bootleg Chinese firecracker ever made.

Note that the same thing happened to Death Star II: part of the reactor got shot a couple times by a fighter and the entire station detonated.

Now granted, it's silly as hell to have a "ventilation shaft" IN HARD VACUUM WHERE HEAT DOESN'T DISSIPATE VERY MUCH, and that could also have been part of it, but the big bit was the reactor having basically no failsafes or emergency shutdown.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2016, 04:51:31 pm »

They could be venting waste vapor through the shaft, which would carry a good deal of heat out of the station at the cost of permanently losing the material. Which is exactly the kind of questionable but utterly innocuous vulnerability you'd want to create for such a plan, now that I think about it.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2016, 04:52:04 pm »

The weak point wasn't the ventilation shaft. The weak point was that shooting the reactor core once would cause a cascading failure that made the whole station go up like the largest bootleg Chinese firecracker ever made.

Note that the same thing happened to Death Star II: part of the reactor got shot a couple times by a fighter and the entire station detonated.

Now granted, it's silly as hell to have a "ventilation shaft" IN HARD VACUUM WHERE HEAT DOESN'T DISSIPATE VERY MUCH, and that could also have been part of it, but the big bit was the reactor having basically no failsafes or emergency shutdown.
A fighter and a light freighter...but yeah, that's a very good point.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2017, 09:42:39 pm »

Wait. Does the blast from the Death Star in the end actually hit the comms dish? Or do they just fire as quickly as possible once in shockwave range and thats why its so off target?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2017, 10:06:02 pm »

Wait. Does the blast from the Death Star in the end actually hit the comms dish? Or do they just fire as quickly as possible once in shockwave range and thats why its so off target?
It does.
It goes straight through the dish, killing the Space Nazi Research Officer, proably even headshoots him.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2017, 10:17:31 pm »

It does.
It goes straight through the dish, killing the Space Nazi Research Officer, proably even headshoots him.

360 Death Star scope?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2017, 12:27:54 pm »

+1 for K-2SO love.  He was easily my favorite character out of the movie.

In general I'll say that I really loved the movie and actually liked it more than Episode VII, with similar comments to everyone else so far.  That is, it was hard to get attached to many of the characters and places because of the jumping around early on, and of course the Darth Vader line.  I found it particularly distressing that I couldn't even remember Cassian's name after the movie ended.  He just didn't leave much impression on me for some reason.  The pilot's name I can't recall either if he was even given one, but I liked him better.

Bonus points to the writers for having the guts to kill everyone off though.  I was surprisingly pleased that they did that.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet was that the ending with the Tantive IV felt the tiniest bit tacked on.  I always figured that they got the plans to the ship covertly somehow and that it was operating under the guise of peaceful civilian use when it was captured in Episode IV.  Never thought it had literally just escaped assaulting an Imperial world to get those plans, but I guess it works.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7