Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: The Rogue One Thread  (Read 10134 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: The Rogue One Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2016, 01:09:31 pm »

Looking back in retrospect, I think TFA was more of a Star Wars spin-off than Rogue One. :P

To me, Rogue One certainly looked more grand in scale and less derivative than TFA, and thus more deserving to be an actual numbered film (Star Wars - Episode 3.9 "Everybody Dies"  :P). Too bad the characters leave much to be desired, especially the Rebels and especially the main heroine Jyn Erso. It's like the scriptwriters decided to be on the safe side and not give her any deep characterization, in order to avoid the Rey shitstorm of the past year. K-2SO was awesome, though, and the Imperials felt like Imperials.

The design work put into the film is very good, though - the designers captured the feel of Episode 4 and 5. I especially like the outside scenes on Yavin 4, the tropical planet with the Imperial archives, and Imperial technology in general (all those giant computers with vector screens and a truckload of buttons, etc). Also, the space battle was really good, especially after the huge letdown of TFA.

CGI Tarkin was fine, I think, although he looked a liiiitle bit like a caricature of himself. No opinion about CGI Leia.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2016, 03:02:36 pm »

Go back and watch A New Hope again, trying to forget everything from Empire, Jedi, and the EU. Most of the characters are pretty shallow and one-dimensional there as well. The difference is that all of the Rogue One character had to die, so we don't get two movies of additional characterization.

That's actually one of the big reasons I rate RO so close to A New Hope, it's very similar thematically, save that it concludes with a Pyrrhic victory, and it does that without feeling derivative. We get just enough about each character to establish who they are, which is frankly all you need for a good one-off movie. Yeah, they're all a little cliched, but that's what happens when you need fast and dirty characterization. One seems a little YA dysopian novel protagonisty, one seems a little bargain-bin James Bondy, one seems a little Cowardly Liony, so on and so forth, but they feel like real people despite that and their interactions are genuine, their conflicts not contrived.

Like, here's A New Hope's main cast in one-line descriptions: virgin farmboy sorcerer, snarky rogue with a heart of gold, sarcastic warrior princess, wise old mentor, lone sane man (droid), comic relief who thinks he's the lone sane man (droid). Chewbacca is the only one who defies easy categorization, and that's largely because communication you understand by inference rather than directly tends to evoke more complex impressions.

Archetypes exist because they work. You're making a movie that's what, two to two-point-five hours long? You don't have time to really flesh out everyone who matters unless it's a film where you have one or maybe two characters who get the bulk of the screentime. So you fall back on narrative shorthand that the audience will quickly and implicitly grasp and let the characters speak for themselves-which is frankly often better than trying to spew out a massive backstory, especially when you've got a competent cast.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2016, 04:32:11 pm »

>watches movie, realizing that pretty much all named people except Princess Leia died
>comes home to find out that Carrie Fisher died
>gg

That said, I enjoyed the movie. The city on the desert planet reminded me a lot of the Middle East (with the rebels obviously playing the part of an insurgency). And the Death Star scenes were awesome. However, shouldn't the blast at the end have been at an angle? The Death Star shot at a really steep angle to vaporize the top of the Citadel (or whatever the archive was called) so the resulting shockwave would have been fairly weak in the direction of Jyn and that other guy. It definitely wouldn't have been circular.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2016, 04:35:47 pm »

That's a good point. I never considered that.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2016, 06:18:39 pm »

>watches movie, realizing that pretty much all named people except Princess Leia died
>comes home to find out that Carrie Fisher died
>gg

That said, I enjoyed the movie. The city on the desert planet reminded me a lot of the Middle East (with the rebels obviously playing the part of an insurgency). And the Death Star scenes were awesome. However, shouldn't the blast at the end have been at an angle? The Death Star shot at a really steep angle to vaporize the top of the Citadel (or whatever the archive was called) so the resulting shockwave would have been fairly weak in the direction of Jyn and that other guy. It definitely wouldn't have been circular.

yeah, it should have been elliptical or parabolic, so our two lead shouldn't have been so immediately screwed.
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2016, 06:20:46 pm »

The forces involved with a low-power Death Star shot are clearly near or above Dinosaur Killer levels. The back wake would easily be enough to reach them, and that's double since the shot hit below the horizon.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2016, 06:24:36 pm »

Yeah, they are obviously dead, as I said earlier in the thread, this is a planetwide extinction event level that they are firing.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2016, 09:58:40 pm »

It was a stupid idea to blow up the place. At worst, they could have starved them out/used chemical weapons. At best, with the manpower at their hands, it becomes a slaughterhouse, but they still reclaim the area.

They were trying to stop the transmission.

Saw it! I'm an unabashed Star Wars fanboy so my opinion is probably heavily biased, but I thought it was the best film of the franchise since the Original Trilogy.

I prefer it over the I II III Trilogy too and I actually like those movies. Liam Neeson!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2016, 10:09:09 pm »

I'm pretty sure the reason for annihilating the base is mostly Tarkin wanting to erase what happened and secure his command of the Death Star.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2016, 10:27:56 pm »

lol he sure did

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2016, 11:33:16 pm »

Tarkin was always a power-hungry asshole. Well, not always, but basically at any point past the start of the Clone War. He would see killing off his political competition as a major bonus to the official objective of stopping that transmission.

Indeed, given that it was a rather sharp-angled shot into an ocean near the horizon, it's possible that the primary facility (depending on how durable it is) might even have survived semi-intact. At least he can claim that. And it was pretty brilliant aim to clip the transmitter instead of vaporizing that whole little archipelago.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2016, 11:55:41 am »

I enjoyed it one hell of a lot. Went in with pretty low expectations - the trailer really made it look like a crappy movie to me - film hit above them quite some.

Liked the characters a lot. Tudroid was funny. Everything looked great, down to the making it look like the old movies (even the 70s hairstyles!). Favourite thing is the blind man's laser bow. It was keeeeeewl.

Speaking of the blind man - I got the impression he wasn't actually force sensitive, or rather at least not "training worthy" in strength. More a guy who had taken a lot of the temple teachings to heart but didn't have enough potential in him to warrant cleansing, and then turned out to be just sensitive enough at the end anyway.
Love, scriver~

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2016, 09:47:26 pm »

So finally got around to seeing this yesterday, and I gotta say that I really enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect, obviously (no movie is), but I felt they did a really good job. CGI tarquin was only slightly noticeable because I saw it in 3D (and thus the 3D CGI blended a bit better I think), and personally I liked the fact that Vader seemed a little bit more human while he was addressing people on his own side while still maintaining the menace as he butchered his way through the spaceship (I mean the "evil overlord" shtick is cool and all, but you actually should have a functional organization beneath you).

Honestly the best part of it for me was all the little details though. The stormtroopers talking about equipment, the guy on the field requesting a description of what the "master switch" looked like, being able to see the air distortion from the jets on the spacecraft even when far away and so forth. Plus some of the trope turnarounds, having the rousing speech fail, having them end as comrades rather than with a love interest kiss, definitely was lots of fun to be had.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2016, 03:51:28 pm »

AAAAAAAAAAAH, the Stormtrooper shoot first!
They really got the Star Wars feel well, just with way better CGI. This is what Prequels could have been. And I really like that Stormtroopers can actually hit shit (except the magic monk) for this time(still being mooks dying in droves, though), strenghtening the theory that they were shit on purpose in the original trilogy.
Also the ventillation tunnel is finally explained, in more elegant way than I would have thought.
And in the end, it turns out Star Wars movies aren't about Anakin, Luke or actually any character. Star Wars is about Death Star. I mean apart from the Episode I but who cares about that.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2016, 03:52:49 pm »

Star Wars is about Death Star.
What, the matching "Star"s in their names didn't tip you off to that fact? :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7