Zaldor
- 16 (14.8%)
Error
- 14 (13%)
Other
- 8 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 161

Author Topic: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno  (Read 189230 times)

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno
« Reply #2010 on: April 10, 2017, 04:25:26 am »

If you place your domains so far apart you run a risk of another player spawning a domain in between them. From my experience, if you can expand your domain to at least 10k arpens you're fine. You don't really need that much land to build a successful city. Beyond a certain point returns from expanding will be extremely marginal.

Thorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: April 10, 2017, 05:36:16 am »

If you place your domains so far apart you run a risk of another player spawning a domain in between them. From my experience, if you can expand your domain to at least 10k arpens you're fine. You don't really need that much land to build a successful city. Beyond a certain point returns from expanding will be extremely marginal.

The only benefit of connecting your domains is that you can have easy vasalls and rise up in nobility. Also you can vassalize those new players and have exactly the same effect.

With 10k acres you are pretty much settled. But it's always good to get access to more resources, for example an iron deposit or some high quality wood.
Thorus likes badgers for their conga lines.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: April 10, 2017, 05:44:13 am »

Connecting your domains has another important benefit - you can later dissolve one of them and expand your main domain into it. Basically it's like putting dibs on swaths of land.

I agree that high quality woods can save you some money, but just how many forests do you need? From my experience 2k acres of trees is more than you'll ever need. And if your economy is going completely bonkers huge, you won't have an issue with just buying what additional wood you require on the market. Iron is so cheap its not even worth mining, btw. I just buy all my iron early on because I'd rather use precious settlers in much more lucrative industries.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: April 10, 2017, 05:51:44 am »

Is it possible to connect domains over sea? Both my domains are on Tropica, but they are quite a ways apart. Does building a lighthouse at both locations connect them?

Another question: can I trade goods internally between my domains? Or do I have to put stuff I wish to transfer up on the market (ridiculously overpriced so no one will buy it)?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Thorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: April 10, 2017, 06:09:44 am »

I wanted to mention that as well as I'm already doing the same, but was too lazy to type that in the end :P
Still it's a bit of a shame to waste the effort put into the domain you are going to liquidate anyway. But on the otherside, I saw cities completely surounded by walls with palaces being liquidated.

Those were only examples. I currently have 4.5k acres of wood in my domain and its overall size is at around 8.5k acres. So I'll never need to buy any wood (except for the rare ones). My economy is rather boring, because I only have wood, clay and stones. Farming is also not a thing yet, because I'm sitting in northern Tetra. So I'm completely relying on the tax money from my other domains.

Some expansions ahead there is a iron deposit that will bring a few interesting features to my main domain, even though I already have iron industry going in my other domains. I'm focusing on being independent from other domains and building a nice city, rather than going full maximum efficiency, but I guess this is a question of playstyle and my way of having fun.

Can you elaborate on the luctrative or interesting industries? I have one domain where I wanted to focus on building high quality lutes as it got quite a few rare trees.

----

Q1: I don't think that is possible. The lighthouse will only open the ability to create trade ships, which can be used to trade resources between continents.

Q2: Direct trade is sadly not possible, so you have to do it the way you mentioned. Or you create a buy offer at the highest price and then sell it to your other domain. There is also a "tutorial" somewhere in the forums of the game.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: April 10, 2017, 06:42:51 am »

My northern realm is in a similar position, lots of trees and not much of anything else. My economy is quite diverse though. I buy raw resources I need and make profits off goods I produce.

There are many goods that yield very nice profit, just browse the market and the help section, do the math.

Thorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: April 10, 2017, 07:34:48 am »

My northern realm is in a similar position, lots of trees and not much of anything else. My economy is quite diverse though. I buy raw resources I need and make profits off goods I produce.

There are many goods that yield very nice profit, just browse the market and the help section, do the math.

I'm focusing on expanding my main domain at the moment, so I'm building a lot of huts. In the meanwhile I'm also building my castle - level one keep is already finished. When I have enough working power I'll start improving my economy to reduce the dependance on my other domains.

Care to share a link to your domain?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: April 10, 2017, 03:08:37 pm »

And if your economy is going completely bonkers huge, you won't have an issue with just buying what additional wood you require on the market.

I have expressed similar sentiment in the past, but over the last couple of months I've watched prices on all woods in the Tetra region steadily rise. I used to buy cheap wood around 7 monies per unit, but now the cheapest woods are over 30 monies per unit, and prices are still going up. I've had to train more lumberjacks just to continue my housing construction without spending a fortune on wood.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: April 11, 2017, 03:59:50 am »

Dayum! Developing a new domain is slow, with four settlers and a lady who don't get any happiness until te sun shines. Can get about 1 hut per day done, 2 if I don't care they're not completely rested yet. This is gonna take forever.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Thorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: April 11, 2017, 05:33:24 am »

Dayum! Developing a new domain is slow, with four settlers and a lady who don't get any happiness until te sun shines. Can get about 1 hut per day done, 2 if I don't care they're not completely rested yet. This is gonna take forever.

It took me around a week to get my second domain to the level my first after 10 minutes was - due to the beginner bonus.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: April 11, 2017, 12:04:26 pm »

Skills have a significant impact on construction speed. I recommend training roofers as your initial builders. A single roofer should take only a few hours to build a hut near the town square.

Datgum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: April 11, 2017, 02:49:28 pm »

How many more posts would this thread have if the title was "Land of Lords: Game of Thrones-esque browser MMO"?

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: April 11, 2017, 03:46:40 pm »

Less, probably.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: April 11, 2017, 06:29:50 pm »

Them sheep breed like rabbits. I will flood the market with sheep. Fear me.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: April 11, 2017, 06:37:41 pm »

I've been butchering mine. A single breeding shepherd seems to make sheep slightly faster than a single butcher can kill them.
The mutton and tallow is not hugely profitable...but it's something to do with all my shrubland and extra settlers.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 161