Zaldor
- 16 (14.8%)
Error
- 14 (13%)
Other
- 8 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 161

Author Topic: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno  (Read 189389 times)

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno
« Reply #1830 on: February 27, 2017, 02:25:05 pm »

What do you do with "worthless" settlers?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: February 27, 2017, 02:39:46 pm »

By inactive domains people mean domains who's lord is dead and they are not a part of any realm. Once you find such domain you need to travel to its main square and take over it. Then you dismantle it and launder the money.
So, dismantle is an option you can take once you've got a second domain on the same character? Or do you manually take apart all the stuff in it? What do you mean by laundering the money? Also, if the land is nearer someone else than me, doesn't this risk giving offense?

You have to build a mine on a granite tile with a road on a tile next to it.
I think I was trying to do one that was kiddy-corner, does that mean that if I extend the road a bit in a non-diagonal direction, I'll be able to build my road on the edge of the granite?

The reddit excel sheet is really handy for finding suitable candidates.
Link?

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: February 27, 2017, 02:52:10 pm »

You need to manually dismantle all buildings before you can liquidate the domain. But dismantling is pretty quick.
By laundering I mean funneling money to your main domain through playing with the market.
If the domain is not a part of any realm and its master is dead you're pretty safe.
Yeah, you need a road adjacent to you mine, which means n, s, w or e.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: February 27, 2017, 03:45:04 pm »

Btw. Do you people always find the best skill fits and wait for the right settlers, or do you ignore that thinking that tools and so on will compensate? What do you do with "worthless" settlers? For me this is a nightmare optimization problem.

Personally, it varies with the skill/profession.  There's certain professions that get little or no boost from tools (e.g. Braiding or Surveying), so for them the bonus from having high stats has a higher impact.  In my experience that's of particular value when they're producing goods to sell to NPCs for consumption due to the way NPCs decide what to buy.  On the other hand if it's e.g. Quarrymen - who can get up to +40 from tools and up to +40 from terrain - and they're just digging up limestone (decent, but not as high demand as e.g. granite), I'll not worry quite so much about their base stats.

As for "worthless" settlers, I either draft them into the military if possible (cannon fodder), or they, uh, die while training for said military position.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: February 27, 2017, 05:55:48 pm »

Just got into this game earlier this week. I think I'm doing okay but I also don't really know what I'm doing.  Is there some kind of starting guide that I can use as a checklist and/or any wiki better than the in-game one?

Your most basic goal is to get rich. In order to get rich, you need to recruit as many settlers as possible to increase your work force, and expand your land to increase the number of resources you can exploit. Both of those goals are accomplished by building huts/houses. Roofers are the best starting builders, having all the skills needed to make huts. Once you are ready to build houses, add carpenters and bricklayers. Later, when you start constructing walls to protect your wealth, you'll want to add more bricklayers as they have the strongest influence on wall-building time and quality. As your population grows, continue training more of these builders, keeping about a third of your population building 24/7.

Train one or two woodcutters to procure wood for your buildings. If the wood provided by your trees is plentiful and low-value on the market in your area, then just fell the trees; you'll get all the wood you need in the short-term and you can easily buy more later if needed. If your trees have more expensive wood, then just harvest them, and sell what you don't use.

Build roads out to any stone/metal/clay in your domain, and build quarries/mines/pits to harvest those materials. These buildings have limitations, usually 3 arpents between buildings, so plan your roads as needed to optimize how much you can extract. Check the prices for everything you can produce and prioritize the most valuable. Train specialized workers to extract materials, and buy the best tools you can afford to increase the quality of what you extract. Sell whatever you don't use, and grow your wealth. Another third of your population should be dedicated to extraction and processing teams.

Once your wealth has grown enough that you begin to fear raiders may try to steal it, consider building a barracks and training some combative units. A swarm of men with sharp and pointy instruments should be forming a protective wall around your lord at all times. The final third of your population should make up this military force.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: March 01, 2017, 05:46:16 am »

Looks like Admin is preparing for the new continent. New resources have been added: acacia wood, sugar(and cane), bananas, coconuts, and nutmeg.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: March 01, 2017, 12:33:49 pm »

Just found out about schools, that seems like a useful thing to know about.

I'm wondering if I made mistakes on starting... New continent sounds better (mechanically) than the frozen north, even though it's comfy up here, and that big yellow nation makes this feel too much like the other continents - they only recently became visible from the furthest zoom. And I think I put my second domain too close to my first, but now I'm not sure what to do about that.

By laundering I mean funneling money to your main domain through playing with the market.
Still not really sure what that means. I should probably figure it out in order to afford a coronet.

I also don't really know how to identify resources from the over map (I have a third domain allowed soonish, even if I don't decide to dismantle what I've already built and move) or identify which peasants are good for what.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 12:58:08 pm by Cruxador »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: March 01, 2017, 04:59:06 pm »

I also don't really know how to...identify which peasants are good for what.

The in-game help documents are extremely informative, if a bit tricky to decipher at first. For example, if there's a building you want to construct, you can search for it or click the (?) next to the construct dialogue to access the help page for that building, which will show you the skills used to build it. Clicking those skills will take you to a page that shows which trained workers are most effective at learning that skill, and which tools they can use to boost it. Clicking on the worker class will take you to it's page where you can see which building is capable of training them, and which attributes are required.

jj00

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: March 01, 2017, 09:56:58 pm »

This game finally made me register instead of just reading the forum.

After being stuck up in north-west of Tetra I have big hopes for the new continent. Are there any plans for an organised effort to claim some land there to make sure it does not all fall into the hands of the southern kingdoms? 

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: March 01, 2017, 10:35:43 pm »

I also don't really know how to...identify which peasants are good for what.

The in-game help documents are extremely informative, if a bit tricky to decipher at first. For example, if there's a building you want to construct, you can search for it or click the (?) next to the construct dialogue to access the help page for that building, which will show you the skills used to build it. Clicking those skills will take you to a page that shows which trained workers are most effective at learning that skill, and which tools they can use to boost it. Clicking on the worker class will take you to it's page where you can see which building is capable of training them, and which attributes are required.
I know about the wiki. I meant finding out which of my settlers to train into which other unit type, not which unit type is good for what. I'm not yet at the point of having a lot of specialized units.

Lichis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: March 01, 2017, 11:07:56 pm »

The new continent has emerged, the server is kinda laggy and apparently the map at higher zoom levels is not working.. I'm making a new account and settling on a nice spot there.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: March 01, 2017, 11:32:13 pm »

Here is how to figure out what units are good at what and who to recruit them for.

Lets say you want to make saws. First look up the resource "saws" in the search bar. Under "fabrication" you will see required skills. The biggest one is smithing, with fire and turning also being in there. If you click on the smithing link, it will bring you to the skill screen which will show you the units you can train. A quick look at the top smithers shows the toolmaker has the best cumulative states for making saws (probably since it's a tool  :P) with +5 smithing, +3 fire, and +3 turning. But others should be fine as turning requires extra resources which you may not be concerned with right now.

Now if you click on the toolmaker link and scroll down to training, you will see St/Ag. This shows the attributes that work best for this job. So what I like to do is get all my untrained settlers together, highlight them all, then go down tot he build page or something and click on them one by one to quickly figure out their stats. And that is how you figure out who does what.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: March 01, 2017, 11:55:59 pm »

So what I like to do is get all my untrained settlers together, highlight them all, then go down tot he build page or something and click on them one by one to quickly figure out their stats.

I find it's a bit easier to click and hold the mouse button down on the settler's portrait for a moment, which will show their stats.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: March 02, 2017, 12:49:54 am »

Now if you click on the toolmaker link and scroll down to training, you will see St/Ag. This shows the attributes that work best for this job.
Thanks! That was the part of the process I was missing.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: March 02, 2017, 01:06:59 am »

Those aren't the best stats for the job.  Just the required stats to train it.  If you want the best stats for a job check the skill in question.  Str and Agi are great for a tool maker, but so is Wis.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 161