Zaldor
- 16 (14.8%)
Error
- 14 (13%)
Other
- 8 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 161

Author Topic: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno  (Read 189760 times)

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
Re: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno
« Reply #1410 on: January 14, 2017, 01:19:06 am »

then suddenly a lot of brutish English speaking players show up and start fucking everything up, casually killing their characters and shit.  Of course they want to make an example of you.

So basically its the year 1337 all over again, only this time the french can actually fight for a change.  :P
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: January 14, 2017, 03:45:09 am »

Hmm, my 2nd domain (on Goldor) has received a vassalage proposal from my neighbour, currently being presented as a choice rather than a demand, which is nice.  He does seem to be the strongest power in the immediate vicinity (Nuova Venezia) and I never really had any political aspirations, so I may just swallow my pride and accept his offer, I dunno.

This guy doesn't seem like much of a power. Is he worthy of you?  :P
I agreed to it after he offered to let me vassalise one of his domains in return.  He's not a major power, sure, but seems to be the biggest in my immediate vicinity - about 11 domains under his main one.  My 2nd domain won't be militarily inclined for quite a while, so I figured better to band together for now (plus as I say, I don't have any real ambitions for my Goldor domain, besides eventually getting trading ships up to funnel supplies to my Error domain).

Only a week later and it looks like this was perhaps a poor choice: Hispania have just declared war on Nuova Venezia and have issued a demand to myself and the other vassals that we a) send our troops (I have none :p) to occupy Nuova Venezia's square, and b) swear loyalty to Hispania, if we want to be spared in the conflict.  They're citing aggression towards smaller domains and murder of a Hispania member as the cassus belli (neither of which sounds terribly likely from my own experiences with Nuova Venezia, but I guess I don't know what they're doing elsewhere).

Nuova Venezia have released me from vassalage in the hopes that it keeps me out of it, so I've sent Hispania a letter asking that Vandelaya not be included in the conflict, but from everything I've heard about Hispania lately I doubt that will work - I suspect even if we hadn't been allied with Nuova Venezia they'd have come for us sooner or later as part of their aggressive expansion.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1412 on: January 14, 2017, 08:27:44 am »

Looking at the shit Hispania pulls out, they won't likely last very long. They're Nazis and they just invaded Poland, but this time whole world just waits for a reason to murder their asses.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: January 14, 2017, 08:51:36 am »

Huh, I think my particular crisis may be averted - I got a reply essentially saying he's ordered the cessation of hostilities, he's not aggressive really, and that the war declaration was more intended as a warning/intimidation to Nuova Venezia to dissuade further assassinations (I'm still not sure who he's meant to have murdered, but eh, so long as I'm not being invaded over it :p).

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: January 14, 2017, 09:08:51 am »

Vague question but what should I build next? What should I have taxes/wages set to?
Do you have a school yet?  How about a forge and toolmaker so you don't have to buy expensive tools from the market?  Do you have a low blast furnace to smelt gold ore, selling the gold for profit?

When you're first starting, wages should be set to minimum, since you don't yet have enough money to make your serfs happy.  Taxes really doesn't matter, since your peasants shouldn't have much money.

Do I really need a forge and toolmaker when I dont have anything other than wood to work with?

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1415 on: January 14, 2017, 12:36:32 pm »

Arright, this seems interesting enough.

02182W:24519N is my place, Svarog is my name. Gotta bring some Slavic mythology to this French-ruled place.
I am quite bad when it comes to being team player, but any one is free to give me a shout/visit.

Some low-quality wood and iron around, also nice quality sandstone.

Obviously still learning the ropes, but interface and everything seems fairly logical as of now.

Let's see how long it keeps me interested.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: January 14, 2017, 12:47:06 pm »

Vague question but what should I build next? What should I have taxes/wages set to?

Set both wages and taxes to very low. You need a source of income next. Pick an industry: Treecutting, Quarrying, Mining, Clay Digging, etc. There's many more. Choosing one and gathering the resources is the first step. If you're depleted cash-wise after setting up the gathering operations, take some time to sell the raw resources for a quick buck--you should aim to stop this ASAP though, as this is a pretty inefficient means of revenue generation. Once you have the required capital, you should look to begin vertically integrating your industries. So if you have ore you'll want to control:

Treecutting
                             V
                 Charcoal Production
                             V
Ore Mining -> Ore Refining -> Manufacturing

Obviously, it's really hard to fully control your own means of production. I have forests, but I usually end up buying additional lumber from the market (cause its cheap.)

Some things, like Iron are ridiculously cheap on the market. You can buy iron and sell tools all day too. Or even just mine iron an refine it before selling it, etc.

But it's nice to have a reliable source of income. That's a start.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: January 14, 2017, 12:49:48 pm »

Arright, this seems interesting enough.

02182W:24519N is my place, Svarog is my name. Gotta bring some Slavic mythology to this French-ruled place.
I am quite bad when it comes to being team player, but any one is free to give me a shout/visit.

Some low-quality wood and iron around, also nice quality sandstone.

Obviously still learning the ropes, but interface and everything seems fairly logical as of now.

Let's see how long it keeps me interested.
Let me stop you before you get further.  Stop construction on that barn.  The tutorial suggestion for making barns/agriculture is hogwash.  You can't farm in the cold.

Start with School, so you can train a carpenter at the least.
Bring your road up to the mountain/iron deposit and build a quarry/mine.  You can sell that stuff to start with.
You can train one of your peasants to be woodcutter if you havn't, have them harvest wood, not cut trees.  (Under the 3 rectangle icon)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1418 on: January 14, 2017, 01:37:32 pm »

1. Hrmmm, yes, of course, that makes sense. Silly me.

2. Ok, sounds like reasonable.

3. Aye, that was my first long-term plan.

4. Well, I am cutting some of the trees down in order to make room for road (at least I'm guessing I have to do that). I have had one guy far away on the right at my iron deposit site harvest wood (didn't know what else to do with him). But "harvest" option seems like it yield quite low output... does the amount of harvested material depend on wood quality/location and/or also on worker's skill? I'm training that guy now to be a woodcutter (on site where I left him), is it logical to conclude he'll harvest more from now on?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: January 14, 2017, 01:39:45 pm »

4. Well, I am cutting some of the trees down in order to make room for road (at least I'm guessing I have to do that). I have had one guy far away on the right at my iron deposit site harvest wood (didn't know what else to do with him). But "harvest" option seems like it yield quite low output... does the amount of harvested material depend on wood quality/location and/or also on worker's skill? I'm training that guy now to be a woodcutter (on site where I left him), is it logical to conclude he'll harvest more from now on?

roads can be built under trees. You may have to demolish for intersections. Also, maybe? But harvesting wood will always get you crazy low yields. Like real life, I imagine deforestation will become quite the problem lol. I don't dare to cut mine down cause it's so small.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: January 14, 2017, 01:59:06 pm »

harvested trees will be harvestable again after 7 days, whereas fell trees won't (trees are supposed to regrow, but best guess is several months)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: January 14, 2017, 03:22:00 pm »

Let me stop you before you get further.  Stop construction on that barn.  The tutorial suggestion for making barns/agriculture is hogwash.  You can't farm in the cold.

First of all, Spring is coming, and there's little harm in ploughing some fields to prepare once you have a spare settler or two.
Beyond that however, Barns provide essential storage space early on. Any sort of mass clay or stone production really needs that space unless you want your workers to hit the cap every night and stop working until you come back and liquidate everything.

But "harvest" option seems like it yield quite low output... does the amount of harvested material depend on wood quality/location and/or also on worker's skill? I'm training that guy now to be a woodcutter (on site where I left him), is it logical to conclude he'll harvest more from now on?

I'm not sure about woodcutter training affecting quantity, but that and his tools absolutely affect the quality of the wood you harvest.
The factors affecting Quantity seem to be the age of the tree, type, and good old RNG. Young trees often have no wood for harvest, but I've seen a few give as much as 4. Ancient trees sometimes only have 4 or 5, but more often I see them give upwards of 20.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: January 14, 2017, 03:28:47 pm »

The trade system has changed, now buy and sale orders will hold the money/goods immediately until the sale is completed, and all existing orders were cancelled.

One side effect is that the Soviet-style ration queue for buying hemp fiber and other scarce commodities has been temporarily cleared, so if you get in now, you should still be able to get a better place in line. Prices in general should shift as well as the market needs to be recalibrated. I'm glad I bought 2500 tons of floor price silver ore before this hit, since I think that and gold ore may end up at a higher price.

Domain liquidation goods prices like cheap nails and bricks have plummeted, but I'm not sure how much volume is moving at that low buy price.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 03:40:51 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: January 14, 2017, 03:55:16 pm »

Just the ore, the gold price will never go above floor price while it's as useless as it is. Gold ore has vacillated between 20g and up to 60g per ton lately, as I think more people realize what an easy source of money it is to import and smelt. Silver ore is a lot more common so will probably stay low (I've been able to get floor price buy orders for it filled), but it is as profitable as gold most of the time, so should really be seeing a price rise.

I'm thinking that this recalibration may lead to sellers asking for something closer to the real value of the items (which for gold and silver ore is like 80g/t) that have previously been depressed by a glut of supply and autosellers. It's possible it may go in the opposite direction, and the creeping rise gold ore has been seeing will only be set back temporarily.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: January 14, 2017, 04:07:55 pm »

Be careful buying tiles btw.  After the market orders reset, people on both Error and Goldor markets (so I assume similar elsewhere) have listed tiles at 1200 per tile.  Since it's the sort of thing people tend to buy as they need them in small batches when issuing a build order it's easy to not notice the price until its too late and end up spending silly amounts (not that I fell for that, not at all...).
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 161