Zaldor
- 16 (14.8%)
Error
- 14 (13%)
Other
- 8 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 161

Author Topic: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno  (Read 189245 times)

Datgum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno
« Reply #405 on: December 21, 2016, 01:22:09 pm »

There is also a number of is in the south.  One group on the peninsula in the very south-west and another just north-east of the peninsula.

The games search feature is powerful.  Look for either Hawkwood or Flunkendudle if you want to be in the south west.  Search for Zaldor if you want to join them in the north on one of the islands.

There is also Undermantle and Vespoidea to the east of you and Hawkwood.

Coastal areas are largely crowded but there are plenty of inland areas that are vast wastelands waiting to be conquered. I'm currently of two minds when it comes to picking a start location. I can't tell if having lots of acres is important or not. It seems like even advanced settlements only use about 10-20% of their acreage to actually build their town proper. So should a player want to have less acres but be located in strategically useful areas with top-tier resources, or is it better to be in the middle of nowhere with tons of room to grow but perhaps not great resources?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 01:25:22 pm by Datgum »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 21, 2016, 01:45:14 pm »

Man. I wish the map had filters or something because I can't find any metals at all. Just a random chunk of lead in the south. How can you tell if there's an iron deposit or something like that just looking at the map? Because I can't see anything like that when I glance over it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 21, 2016, 01:47:42 pm »

Man. I wish the map had filters or something because I can't find any metals at all. Just a random chunk of lead in the south. How can you tell if there's an iron deposit or something like that just looking at the map? Because I can't see anything like that when I glance over it.

some deposits are easier to see than others--copper for example, looks fairly obvious. It also helps to know what you're looking for... sometimes I can't tell either. It helps to actually zoom out a bit so the snow doesnt render, that will allow you to see deposits a little easier.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 21, 2016, 01:48:10 pm »

Iron is nice to have, (And maybe others will correct me) but honestly it's not super important if you're in tetra. There is so much available for next to rock bottom prices. Getting a tool factory up even without a deposit of iron is not too bad because you can purchase it fairly easily :)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 21, 2016, 01:51:06 pm »

some deposits are easier to see than others--copper for example, looks fairly obvious. It also helps to know what you're looking for... sometimes I can't tell either. It helps to actually zoom out a bit so the snow doesnt render, that will allow you to see deposits a little easier.

I'm looking at the south so snow isn't an issue. It just looks all the same to me. The lead deposit I found is just a slightly different coloured rock.

Iron is nice to have, (And maybe others will correct me) but honestly it's not super important if you're in tetra. There is so much available for next to rock bottom prices. Getting a tool factory up even without a deposit of iron is not too bad because you can purchase it fairly easily :)

I know. But after my dream of having a coastal settlement was squashed I'm not giving up my dream of being an industrial powerhouse producer.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 21, 2016, 01:52:26 pm »

If you check direct SW of Flunkendudle you'll see a iron deposit in Stowmarket.  East past Balstor is Silver and Sapphires, though the silver is in a domain at the moment.

Don't worry about having metal in your domain unless you really want to get into metal manufacturing from the ground up.  I'm buying refined iron AND wood then turning them into tools/weapons/armor/nails at a profit.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 21, 2016, 01:55:50 pm »

Up to the 4th day since Vandeland (might rename that to Vandelay Industries later...) was settled and I think I'm starting to get the hang of this. 

So far we've got:

2 woodcutters out harvesting medium quality spruce and larch.
1 quarry with quarryman churning out 'high' quality limestone (78% base, 67% actually produced - newbie tools and all that)
1 lime burner turning a portion of that into medium quality lime (only 38% - must get charcoal up and running) .  The rest of the limestone is being used for construction.
1 carpenter and bricklayer team for building the bigger buildings (currently utterly exhausted after building a small workshop).
1 iron mine with miner on a medium (60%) iron deposit feeding a low blast furnace (just settlers manning it and no charcoal, so end product is only 15% quality iron)
1 school, currently training a toolmaker
1 small workshop, which I plan to turn into a forge
1 small barn and 1 trappers hut from my first day that I don't really have a use for.
1 hunters cabin that I would like to get some leather production from, if I can ever manage to get the equipment for a hunter or two (nobody's selling bows or quivers, and I don't have the right type of wood to make my own bows which doesn't matter cos nobody's growing or selling hemp on Error right now).
3 settlers mostly helping to build huts.

Immediate plans are to get basic tool production up and running (including charcoal production), maybe nail production.  Then build a wooden castle and expand our housing, add a couple more carpenter/bricklayer teams along the way, then start to get industry going - expand iron production, hopefully get some leather production going, and add another limestone quarry or two since it's quite good quality and I imagine I'll need a bunch of it for all the building.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 21, 2016, 02:01:11 pm »

How good of a location does (03762W:15498N) seem to you guys? The plot has 3 star copper, 2 star plains/scrubs, very good oak and some rocks. It doesn't seem to be close to anybody and should be south enough for farming. It is a good place to start or am I missing something important here?

The only iron deposits I found were surrounded by big estates so I wasn't going to touch them. I also saw some diamonds but it looked like someone was calming them already so eh. Copper will be good enough.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 21, 2016, 02:15:43 pm »

How good of a location does (03762W:15498N) seem to you guys? The plot has 3 star copper, 2 star plains/scrubs, very good oak and some rocks. It doesn't seem to be close to anybody and should be south enough for farming. It is a good place to start or am I missing something important here?

The only iron deposits I found were surrounded by big estates so I wasn't going to touch them. I also saw some diamonds but it looked like someone was calming them already so eh. Copper will be good enough.
Looks good.  Enough space to expand a farm into quickly with out getting in the way of your potential township, meadows if you want to do cattle/horses, small forests near by for wood and copper which can probably make you some good money if you turn it into pipes and boilers.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 21, 2016, 02:31:44 pm »

There's a good spot around 03154W:25482. Nearly 4 star iron, lots of wood, good limestone all close together and there's clay south of there. The closest neighbor is inactive since a week and I,m located North of there. Also there's the Bertland domain up for grab in the East. It's got tin and wood.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 21, 2016, 02:45:12 pm »

I am at 02477W:23775N if anyone was wondering.  Called my land Dram.  I have some nice Tin, lead, and clay. 

Going to turn my peninsula into a fortified city thing.  Question:  Can attackers go through water or do they have to take a land route?  If they take a land route, walls can stop them, right? 

Also, what do pipes do?  I think I may be able to make them out of Tin, since Tin gives a bonus to plumbing?  I dunno.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 21, 2016, 02:46:11 pm »

Alright. The lure of iron is too much for me. I'll be settling in 03154W:25482N then. It has much more space to expand than in my other location, so I won't have to worry about hostile neighbours. Not nearly as good for farming, but I'll make do.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 21, 2016, 02:54:49 pm »

Going to turn my peninsula into a fortified city thing.  Question:  Can attackers go through water or do they have to take a land route?  If they take a land route, walls can stop them, right? 

Also, what do pipes do?  I think I may be able to make them out of Tin, since Tin gives a bonus to plumbing?  I dunno.
Any unit can move over water, it's just slower.  Building bridges don't help movement they are only to allow you to expand your urbanization.  The only way to keep something safe(ish) is to surround it in walls, which turn the entire enclosed area into a restricted area.

The way restricted access works is that any time someone wants to move a unit into an area that restricted (barracks, gates, keeps/castles and areas inside walls) the owner needs to allow them in.  That is if the owner is still alive, if the owning lord/lady is dead then people can just walk into restricted areas with out worry.

Tin's main use is making bronze(which is the best for making boilers) and used when building buildings that require plumbing (brewery and distillery).  Pipes require boiler making which only copper and bronze have, but pipes can only be made out of copper.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 21, 2016, 03:18:21 pm »

I think there is an aggressive player near me, a neighbor was put to the blade today. 
Hey, are one of you Swann?

Grabbed a heir, hoping they would be able to help construct stuff in my main domain, apparently not. 
I don't really want to make another new domain either.  Gotta keep my obligations realistic for the very very long term.

What else can I do with the heir?   
For one, I could probably start a domain and give the heir quality equipment?  Then liquidate it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 21, 2016, 03:27:44 pm »

Decided to try this, and I swear there's NOWHERE that isn't settled.

Huh. Most of Tetra where I am is just a vast empty wasteland with settlements every spread around with almost equal distance between them. The southern part of Tetra is also very empty.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 161