Zaldor
- 16 (14.8%)
Error
- 14 (13%)
Other
- 8 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 161

Author Topic: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno  (Read 189099 times)

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno
« Reply #225 on: December 19, 2016, 04:29:11 pm »

How did a crossing stop you extending? The whole point of a crossing is to create a branching point to continue streets in any/all of the 3 other directions from whence it came?

Datgum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 19, 2016, 04:41:15 pm »

There is a really good post on the forums about what the mid-game is like after you exit the newbie phase. I spoilered most of it below.
https://www.landsoflords.com/forum/92989

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hopefully there is as much harshness to the game as is implied there. It seems like diplomacy, psychological warfare, and military coordination will all be important. Diplomacy especially.

Imagine you are powerful Lord A and Lord B has a secondary domain that's blocking your desire to continuously expand. You message him and say, "Hey buddy, you need to either accept my requests to expand my domain into yours or you can just outright abandon that domain so I can liquidate it and move on through. Oh, you refuse? Okay, here is what's going to happen. I'm going to slaughter your vassals' units non-stop and use 5% of my army to occupy their square for a few hours at a time so their happiness and productivity are crushed. I'll move out quickly enough to avoid the reinforcements you bring. You might catch me from time to time but who cares it's only 5% of my army. When you go to bed I'm going to slaughter any units that you leave unprotected. I will do this for months. Or you can just give up your auxiliary domain now and go about your life. Up to you."

I hesitate to call any of that endgame play as I'd say we won't reach endgame until a major empire topples over and there is a major geopolitical shift.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 05:44:01 pm by Datgum »

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 19, 2016, 04:46:26 pm »

Can anyone explain: The entry for charcoal says it takes 50t of wood to produce 10t of charcoal.  All the production stuff I can find in the help section (lime burning, ore refining, tool fabrication, weapon fabrication, etc) appears to allow you to use either fuel (i.e. charcoal) or any wood, with the same amount required for either (e.g. for lime burning, 1000kg of either).  So if 1 unit of charcoal requires 5 units of wood, but I can just use them interchangeably, why would I ever want to make charcoal?

Clearly people are making plenty of charcoal out there, so I must be missing something here.

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 19, 2016, 04:51:51 pm »

Could be because of that Fire +25? Above the fabrication section on the entry. Does that add to the quality of the goods? Eg. better fuel quality, better final goods
Clicking on the fire link, shows different fire entries for the woods from +20 down to +5 whatever it actually means. When you look at furnaces also, it shows "Skill bonuses: Fire +5" +10,+15 etc for the better furnaces so looks the fire stat adds to the skill, which effects efficiency and quality.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 05:01:32 pm by Crowe~ »

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 19, 2016, 04:59:57 pm »

Ok, about the leaderless domain, it requires the heir to accept my occupation. They havent accepted yet, so fingers crossed.

Datgum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 19, 2016, 05:03:09 pm »

I LOST expansion capacity (from 370 to 350) after six hours of building an east-west street. Neat. That makes no sense based on the help files, which indicates 70 "expansion capacity icon."

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 19, 2016, 05:07:10 pm »

Did you upgrade from 6 huts?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 19, 2016, 05:09:53 pm »

I LOST expansion capacity (from 370 to 350) after six hours of building an east-west street. Neat. That makes no sense based on the help files, which indicates 70 "expansion capacity icon."

ya, thats a thing--but houses are a more efficient form of urban sprawl--especially because you need to build along "streets."

EDIT: 5 huts is 75 pop cap, street/crossing is 70.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 05:11:36 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Datgum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 19, 2016, 05:11:55 pm »

No, not yet.

Oh, I see, building that street neutralized my six huts in some way since my population capacity also dropped. I should probably go back and re-read the last page of this thread discussing the confusing street mechanics.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 05:14:27 pm by Datgum »

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 19, 2016, 05:15:36 pm »

Could be because of that Fire +25? Above the fabrication section on the entry. Does that add to the quality of the goods? Eg. better fuel quality, better final goods
Clicking on the fire link, shows different fire entries for the woods from +20 down to +5 whatever it actually means. When you look at furnaces also, it shows "Skill bonuses: Fire +5" +10,+15 etc for the better furnaces so looks the fire stat adds to the skill, which effects efficiency and quality.

Hmm, yeah, hadn't noticed the +Fire as a raw resource bit, that'd do it.

From what I'm reading in the help section, the effect on quality is weighted by the required number of actions for each skill in the process, so that +25 Fire would have a big impact for e.g. lime burning (which takes 40 Fire actions and 15 Lime Burning actions - 72% of quality determined by Fire), but not so much impact on e.g. making hammers (which takes 2 Fire, 10 Smithing, and 2 Turnery actions - only 14% of quality determined by Fire).

Since I'm making Lime, I guess I ought to get Charcoal production going at some point...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 19, 2016, 05:25:52 pm »

charcoal production is important--but for small scale metalworking, mining ore will give you a small number of ingots right off the bat.

EDIT: To clarify, nail production doesnt require fuel. Not sure what else DOESNT. Tools do.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 05:28:41 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 19, 2016, 05:35:17 pm »

How did a crossing stop you extending? The whole point of a crossing is to create a branching point to continue streets in any/all of the 3 other directions from whence it came?

Yeah, but the thing is it was on one of my main branching points of my square which I didn't realize, so it would've made the entire layout of the town screwy from then on out. Still a bit confused on how exactly this weird street business works but I think I'm on the right track.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 19, 2016, 05:37:29 pm »

On second thought, I am settling on the island of Error.

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 19, 2016, 05:44:56 pm »

Oh, I see, building that street neutralized my six huts in some way since my population capacity also dropped. I should probably go back and re-read the last page of this thread discussing the confusing street mechanics.

Seems the 5-6 huts are like a "cheap over-expansion" optional. You can start a street/houses at 4 huts but you can also go to 6 huts instead.

Huts 5=75, 6=90; but a street drops back down to 70, then 80, 90.
So huts can hit 90 in 6 upgrades cheaply but street/houses takes 7 upgrades total plus the added cost of houses for the last 3 upgrades to hit the same mark.

Cant see any reason to not go straight 4 huts -> houses/streets myself, but maybe there is some tactical reason for 6 huts? At war and desperately need more manpower? Will be a lot cheaper to put down huts to 6 all around, 3 levels of street/house is £1810 in bricks in my region.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 07:01:40 pm by Crowe~ »

Datgum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 19, 2016, 05:51:06 pm »

Meanwhile, Nathaniel Hawkwood is straight killing the tickets game.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 161