Zaldor
- 16 (14.8%)
Error
- 14 (13%)
Other
- 8 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 161

Author Topic: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno  (Read 189071 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno
« Reply #195 on: December 19, 2016, 12:49:30 pm »

Yeah that's another reason I am restarting.  You also need to build a school early on, so you can actually build the workshops you want to get resources.  I spent all my starting resources on houses because I didn't know better, then realized that I didn't have a castle or a school.

So (Correct me if I am wrong) but you want to build Houses, Wooden Castle and School from the get-go.  You also want to make sure you have iron deposits so you can build tools and blacksmiths without spending a fortune on iron.  Am I wrong?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 19, 2016, 12:58:50 pm »

PTW, will download this promising game as soon as I've finished my essay

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 19, 2016, 01:02:02 pm »

You can definitely build crossings across roads.
Love, scriver~

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 19, 2016, 01:02:16 pm »

Iron is cheap.  I bought 3k worth of refined iron and have been using it to make tools for days. 

The building a castle thing is personal.  I'm skipping the wooden castle straight to a keep.  Construction should start on the walls for it in 4-6 days.  Just need a brewery, tannery, and another forge before that.

If you want a protected spot build a barracks.  Can use it to train troops eventually as well as hide your lords in to keep them safe-ish.

I thought houses were an obvious thing.  Need them to build several buildings and can only extend your town for more people with them.  The whole n-s e-w crossing thing is just a nuisance.  The easiest thing to do is just choose e-w or n-s and focus on extending your town in those directions. 

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 19, 2016, 01:08:08 pm »

Good to know iron is cheap; I didn't think it would be.  Looking around there aren't as many iron deposits as I thought.  I'll probably skip building a castle as well.  My plan is to start near the ocean, build fishing ships, plus a school.  Get some industry going early on.  Need to find a good spot though.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 19, 2016, 01:08:26 pm »

So, can some of you more experienced people clarify your opinion on what are the best things to do at the start, like build order, town planning etc. and a concise description of what different parts of the map are about and the consequences of choosing to settle there, maybe even a few starting location ideas, would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 01:18:44 pm by Mookzen »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 19, 2016, 01:14:38 pm »

So I am deleting my account because I realize now that I chose a very poor spot after playing for a bit.  I also managed my starting resources terribly.  Going to try and find a better spot next time.  Is there any way other then deleting then remaking to "reset"?

Sadly not. Though, trust me, a good start is what makes it. When you can produce all your own building materials, you'll be thankful lol.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 19, 2016, 01:16:43 pm »

So I am deleting my account because I realize now that I chose a very poor spot after playing for a bit.  I also managed my starting resources terribly.  Going to try and find a better spot next time.  Is there any way other then deleting then remaking to "reset"?

Actually kind of, if you demolish all buildings and have your lord on the town square, allegedly a liquidation option becomes available, you will remove your existing domain and be allowed to resettle with the same lord, though not sure about newbie advantages.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 19, 2016, 01:19:39 pm »

Getting into fishing is expensive.  Could be profitable, haven't looked.  Big thing about being on the sea is you get access to the lighthouse and trade ship.  Both allow you to expand generously and trade ships open markets on the other land masses to you.

Build order is focus on making huts to houses, get a school, train a woodcuter(if you have trees), build a road towards natural resources to exploit.  Do all that at once at the start.  Exploit natural resources, such as stone, clay, metal, gems or sand to sell.  Build a workshop to start making some kind of manufactured good for your self or sell.  If you have clay make a tiler, if you got limestone make a lime kiln.

That is if you are in the north.  In the south build a barn some distance from your town center in an area with lots of land near by.  Then start plowing and buying seeds to plant.  In 7 days you'll harvest.  If you planted grains you'll get straw which sells really well and quickly.  Build a garden next to one of your houses and train a Gardner and start growing vegetables.  With gardens you'll want a well and a dedicated well digger.

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 19, 2016, 01:27:03 pm »

So I found a new place to settle, and I've noticed a few domains are abandoned so I was able to claim them. Is there some easy way to transfer all of the resources in one domain to another? How would I go about doing that, or do I have to sell everything on the market and just transfer the currency?

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 19, 2016, 01:44:56 pm »

You can definitely build crossings across roads.

Thats not the same as a street though. Streets are classed as a building. Like your urban sprawl from the initial square.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 19, 2016, 01:57:28 pm »

Okay let me clear this up for y'all.

A "Crossing" is a street type, yet does not qualify for a few construct requirements. They're for larger cities, not early.

Personally, you make 2-4 streets at the n-s-e-w intersections, perhaps only 2 if necessary.

What you can make on roads are "intersections", which allow you to cross over, yet they have limitations.

I create a weaving crosshatch myself until my roads are all connected, yet if you screw up you can't expand said road.

Max intersections are 2 - so your regular east to west or north to south, plus one in each opposite direction - or do like me and cheat. Make an intersection and set workers to make roads on ALL sides at the same time, overriding the limitation.

You get something like I do here:

https://www.landsoflords.com/map/03834W17601N (Ravensmark)

Aaaaand here:

https://www.landsoflords.com/map/03978W17457N

(Akh-Va'ar)

last is a little messed up atm due to crappy format. Rivers, *sigh*

https://www.landsoflords.com/map/03849W17558N

Plus Altarax's grid setup.

https://www.landsoflords.com/map/03760W17670N

Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 19, 2016, 02:11:40 pm »

Priority #1 is:

Workshop->Forge->Tool Factory.

Why? It'll save you a crazy load of work, plus $, to get the tools you require. Sell extras ... Profit.

Hammers, Axes, Shovels, saws.... $$$.

My toolmakers mass-produce those. Made progressively greater hammers, pliers, plus a cutlery at a house, so I make Q74-82% tools. Worth its weight plus

Add a school to that. Make a carpemter asap. They give optimal comstructiom |3oost.

Castle... Meh. I made 1 for all my guys to huddle safely as a group.

Sorry for the weird formattimg. Key|3oard is crappimg out. Some letters wom't work so I replaced the letter ("|-,") with "m" amd the letter |3 with... Well, that.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 19, 2016, 02:12:37 pm »

Well, I basically chose my starting location because it was a cool location, even though it doesn't seem that good. Also started building a castle, even though I barely had enough resources. Might have been a mistake game-wise, but I like playing for the lore even if it's harder.

I've got quite some salt marshes in my territory though. Are they worth exploiting?

babablacksheep

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 19, 2016, 02:16:23 pm »

Priority #1 is:

Workshop->Forge->Tool Factory.

Why? It'll save you a crazy load of work, plus $, to get the tools you require. Sell extras ... Profit.

Hammers, Axes, Shovels, saws.... $$$.

My toolmakers mass-produce those. Made progressively greater hammers, pliers, plus a cutlery at a house, so I make Q74-82% tools. Worth its weight plus

Add a school to that. Make a carpemter asap. They give optimal comstructiom |3oost.

Castle... Meh. I made 1 for all my guys to huddle safely as a group.

Sorry for the weird formattimg. Key|3oard is crappimg out. Some letters wom't work so I replaced the letter ("|-,") with "m" amd the letter |3 with... Well, that.

This is good advice!
You can also use /\/ to write n, I think that way is the coolest personally.  8)

I'm at 04296W:26511N house Steel Feather if anyone is in the area or wants to start near someone else.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 161