Zaldor
- 16 (14.8%)
Error
- 14 (13%)
Other
- 8 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 161

Author Topic: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno  (Read 189635 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno
« Reply #1515 on: January 19, 2017, 09:55:11 am »

Barn might be useful. It provides some resource storage, and allows animal-based food production buildings as well as fields around it. Of course, if you're in the north as your -17°C weather implies, you're not likely to be able to buy the stuff to start producing animals. Straw has been absent from the market for weeks, save for the 250 units I just grabbed for an obscene price just now *maniacal laughter*.

It might also help to plow now, so that you have fields set up for when the temperature rises and can start getting crops produced. Also note that vegetable gardens can produce Cabbage/Carrots/Leeks/Onions at -5° instead of at 0° for fields(0° is required for onions, and 10° for flowers and garlic, though).

My school is done, men are being trained, and soon I shall have enough money to buy the billion nails needed for a wooden fortress. Are there any must-train jobs? I'm getting a surveyor, a quarreler, and a wood cutter.

"Quarreler"? I'm guessing a quarrier? Odd that Chrome's spellcheck says quarreler is right and quarrier is wrong despite Dictionary.com saying its the other way around("quarreler" redirects to "quarrel", as in, a fight).

Besides that, you will want a construction team consisting of a carpenter, bricklayer, and a roofer. While there's overlap between the carpenter and roofer, the extra guy and skill will make construction far easier - and the carpenter lacks the roofing skill. For some constructions, a digger(requires clay/clay pit) might be useful. The surveyor probably isn't that useful and is effectively obsoleted by the architect.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1516 on: January 19, 2017, 11:01:08 am »

Anyone else getting errors when attempting to click around the map?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: January 19, 2017, 12:02:56 pm »

My school is done, men are being trained, and soon I shall have enough money to buy the billion nails needed for a wooden fortress. Are there any must-train jobs? I'm getting a surveyor, a quarreler, and a wood cutter.

"Quarreler"? I'm guessing a quarrier? Odd that Chrome's spellcheck says quarreler is right and quarrier is wrong despite Dictionary.com saying its the other way around("quarreler" redirects to "quarrel", as in, a fight).

Besides that, you will want a construction team consisting of a carpenter, bricklayer, and a roofer. While there's overlap between the carpenter and roofer, the extra guy and skill will make construction far easier - and the carpenter lacks the roofing skill. For some constructions, a digger(requires clay/clay pit) might be useful. The surveyor probably isn't that useful and is effectively obsoleted by the architect.

Yeah I meant quarrier, which is what I put down but I trusted autocorrect. I thought about making an architect, but saw someone suggest saving that for later.

As for a barn, it's winter now and no one can properly grow food, so just avoid farming for now. Even if it was possible to do it, it would not be profitable.

Anyone else getting errors when attempting to click around the map?
I haven't gotten errors, but I do get sent to random parts of the map for some reason.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: January 19, 2017, 12:24:25 pm »

Most units can be trained without a school. Quarrymen can be trained at the quarry and woodcutters can be trained at the trees (where or how they're trained makes no difference, though the "apprenticeship" skill from schools and barracks probably affects the time it takes).

The best units a school opens up early are carpenters and roofers. I'd recommend having something like 3 carpenters, 2 roofers, and 4 or 5 bricklayers to start out with for construction (bricklayers can also be trained at a brickyard instead of the school, which is very easy to build). An architect is kind of nice as well, since having both surveying and masonry can speed things up quite a bit (though they will usually have a negative impact on building quality by "diluting" the masonry skill of other units).

The other industrial professions that you're interested in to make money can be trained on site, but I would highly recommend building at least one blast furnace and importing some silver ore to smelt with wood and sell for easy and consistent profit; other industries from local resources may not even be worth it.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: January 19, 2017, 12:52:31 pm »

Alright, I understand how expansion works now.  I was able to expand to where I wanted after I expanded out two in every direction.  How far is the max expansion, and if I create a second domain I can't share resources between them, correct?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: January 19, 2017, 01:18:11 pm »

Alright, I understand how expansion works now.  I was able to expand to where I wanted after I expanded out two in every direction.  How far is the max expansion, and if I create a second domain I can't share resources between them, correct?
Far as I know, there is no maximum - the only thing keeping you back is that your expansion points (given to you by buildings) must be greater than your current acreage.

Each domain has its own cash, supplies, etc. There's no direct trading, although you can obviously set up market deals to have one domain buy things at minimum price +.01 from the other domain.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: January 19, 2017, 01:54:09 pm »

Apparently an Engineer's Workshop can be specialized from both the unspecialized workshop and forge(which is built on the unspecced workshop). Is there any reason to build a forge first? I would assume the forge's bonus to Fire and Smithery would apply to he Engineer's Workshop.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: January 19, 2017, 02:50:34 pm »

Alright, I understand how expansion works now.  I was able to expand to where I wanted after I expanded out two in every direction.  How far is the max expansion
No limit.  The only thing stopping people from expanding a single domain over everything is other players.  That and efficiency.

Apparently an Engineer's Workshop can be specialized from both the unspecialized workshop and forge(which is built on the unspecced workshop). Is there any reason to build a forge first? I would assume the forge's bonus to Fire and Smithery would apply to he Engineer's Workshop.
Yeah the forge will help for some of the projects that can be done in the Engineers shop.

And before anyone asks:  The workshop provides no bonuses to any specialization you install.  So quality does not matter. 

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: January 19, 2017, 03:09:33 pm »

I see there's a guy in my neighborhood who started recently and repurposed all his settlers to peasant soldiers. He has been killing and occupying his neighbors in order. Now, I'm fearing I might be down the line.

There are big players around with practically no defenses. One relatively big lordship just has one dedicated military guy at a pop over 50 civilians. This player has a wooden castle, so I guess the lord wouldn't be assassinated, but couldn't such a new player occupy the territory indefinitely, forcing the owner to give up?

I just got 10 civilians, one peasant soldier is being trained. Got barracks and a wooden castle. But I've been focusing on building my production systems, and of course wouldn't be a match for an all-in military domain.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: January 19, 2017, 03:19:18 pm »

What's your location?

If he truly did turn 100% of his units into troops then his happiness has got to be terrible.  If it is then a counter occupation turned subjugation could shut him down.  Just order his own troops to kill their lord.  If those he subjugated are still around they can then free themselves.

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: January 19, 2017, 03:24:31 pm »

I see there's a guy in my neighborhood who started recently and repurposed all his settlers to peasant soldiers. He has been killing and occupying his neighbors in order. Now, I'm fearing I might be down the line.

There are big players around with practically no defenses. One relatively big lordship just has one dedicated military guy at a pop over 50 civilians. This player has a wooden castle, so I guess the lord wouldn't be assassinated, but couldn't such a new player occupy the territory indefinitely, forcing the owner to give up?

I just got 10 civilians, one peasant soldier is being trained. Got barracks and a wooden castle. But I've been focusing on building my production systems, and of course wouldn't be a match for an all-in military domain.

Basically yes: if you don't have military someone can come in and wipe you out. If your not online and don't have walls they can even kill your units that are out in the open. Marching takes  while though with any sizable force so it gives a little time if you notice them coming.

What usually keeps people from running around murdering everyone is that the big established realms have acted as a 'world police' and generally help anyone that gets aggressed. Usually results in the destruction of the murderer.

Still, if you don't have any military your relying on others for your protection. (This has and always will be a bad idea, in real life and in-game.) My rule of thumb is about 25% of population as soldiers(but don't bother with peasant soldiers). Eventually you want to build a city wall as well, make sure to try and plan ahead for that or you might end up demolishing stuff to keep the size reasonable.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: January 19, 2017, 03:30:23 pm »

I'd recommend having something like 3 carpenters, 2 roofers, and 4 or 5 bricklayers to start out with for construction

Why so many bricklayers? The majority of early expansion comes from huts, for which Roofer's have the best skillset, and carpenters second

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: January 19, 2017, 03:37:06 pm »

best build teams are roofer-carpenter for huts and roofer-carpenter-bricklayer for houses.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: January 19, 2017, 03:45:02 pm »

What's the purpose of the square in this context? Is it the only place to occupy from, or just convenience?

How should I pick people to train? How important are unit stats? Currently I'm using the best matches for civilian roles, and would ideally want to send the average 10's to the military. Would that make sense?
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: January 19, 2017, 04:11:26 pm »

The square can be upgraded and I believe it speeds building up and other such bonuses.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 161