Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19

Author Topic: African news thread  (Read 29524 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile in Africa
« Reply #150 on: August 16, 2017, 06:29:25 pm »

I'm aware of the whole Bunga Bunga thing (and also as a nickname for him), though it seemed like the prostitution with the minor got the, well, loudest, news. At least that's what stood out more to me at the time maybe.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2017, 06:31:34 pm »

I'm aware of the whole Bunga Bunga thing (and also as a nickname for him), though it seemed like the prostitution with the minor got the, well, loudest, news. At least that's what stood out more to me at the time maybe.
Minors
plural
Lots of plural

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2017, 11:09:46 pm »

Grace Mugabe has probably already left the country, incidentally. And people are asking the police pointed questions about flight risks.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 17, 2017, 09:33:10 pm »

I know this is a non-sequitur... but

Wow South Africa is screeeewed!

•Child sexual prostitution

How does that happen? Wait... It isn't that he is pimping that would mean is... What a sicko!!!

I actually hope that didn't happen... if only because, well... Think of the children.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 17, 2017, 09:45:28 pm »

I know this is a non-sequitur... but

Wow South Africa is screeeewed!

•Child sexual prostitution

How does that happen? Wait... It isn't that he is pimping that would mean is... What a sicko!!!

I actually hope that didn't happen... if only because, well... Think of the children.

As in underage prostitutes, and his nickname IS Bunga Bunga. And that's along with all the other corrupton stuff.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2017, 01:11:32 am »

Where are you reading this, Neo? Because whilst the country isn't in a particularly good shape, it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. You can find otherwise-reasonable seeming sites claiming with a straight face that there's a genocide goign on here, for instance.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 18, 2017, 03:46:12 am »

Indeed Neo, why would South Africa be screwed because of what an Italian president did in Italy years ago?

Or are you referring to a possible diplomatic riot with Zimbamwe, if for some reason Grace has not fled the country yet and they arrest her?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #157 on: August 18, 2017, 03:54:25 am »

Or are you referring to a possible diplomatic riot with Zimbamwe, if for some reason Grace has not fled the country yet and they arrest her?

There's currently a red alert on to prevent her from leaving (although it wouldn't be the first time a wanted criminal got away). She will almost certainly be prosecuted, but she's trying to invoke diplomatic immunity (which she doesn't have - our law only implicitly extends it to heads of state, and this wasn't an official visit).

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2017, 05:58:17 am »

Zimbabwe's just over the border though, right?
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2017, 06:08:22 am »

It is. The police are catching some flak for not actually arresting her, because she has "flight risk" written all over her. It was actually thought she might have fled already when the news broke.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2017, 06:16:12 am »

Yeah. Borders can be a bitch to secure though. Particularly when you've got an entire dictatorship's resources at your disposal.

I guess that's just even more reason to have detained her in the first place, on second thought.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2017, 07:19:13 am »

Where are you reading this, Neo? Because whilst the country isn't in a particularly good shape, it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. You can find otherwise-reasonable seeming sites claiming with a straight face that there's a genocide goign on here, for instance.

Ohh no not anything involving genocide or anything like that... In fact given I am holding it to first world standards says something about how well it is doing as a country.

It is mostly having serious problem socially with its social programs, laws, and education. I feel like it is headed towards some sort of collapse.

Though alternatively it could just be building itself up slowly and these issues will go away over time naturally.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 07:20:45 am by Neonivek »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2017, 07:31:41 am »

No, not headed towards collapse - at least not fast. I live here, I'd notice that kind of thing. Definitely shady stuff going on, but not so the country is going to implode.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2017, 07:37:24 am »

No, not headed towards collapse - at least not fast. I live here, I'd notice that kind of thing. Definitely shady stuff going on, but not so the country is going to implode.

At that is the last that was heard of Arx before the Great Collapse of 2017, when South Africa fell in a bottomless pit after violently imploding, leaving a sole remaine a fire-preventing swimming pool floating in the air in an eldricht green glow.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2017, 09:00:56 am »

The truth is that the collapse will not be dramatic. It will come in small tides, giving you time to get used to the current stage's version of road-bandits and highwaymen before the ones with the leather gear and 80's hair styling appear.

Yes, I went to the Mad Max school of Apocalypses.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19