Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Evolution, /tg/ style  (Read 28943 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution, /tg/ style
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2016, 12:21:55 pm »

As temperatures got hotter and hotter, Slymolichus fractalius evolved into Slymolichus duncanius. It developed a hard skeleton which incorporated gold as well as many other elements. This not only reflected the heat, but allowed it to retract its polyps in the face of danger.

A branch of the Slymolichus duncanius Decided that it didn't want to live on the surface of the ocean floor anymore.
So it simply buried itself like its previous cousins, but upside down.
Over time it became an entirely new species known as the Upsidius Downus, surviving by absorbing whatever particles happens to land on it.
Also, it reproduces asexually by releasing spores into the dark abyss once every few years.

Edit: I hope I'm not posting stuff too often?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:26:56 pm by Ultimuh »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2016, 12:41:40 pm »

A particular branch of Turtectulis NeonBlingus evolved a more solitary lifestyle. Forgoing the need for eyes, and evolving red pigment to avoid detection, the Turtectulis InfraBlingus delved deeper into the ocean than any of its genus had before.

Terrestrius Hanfus found that it was losing incredible amounts of moisture due to its leaf configuration. Terrestrius Fauxcactfus wrapped its leaves around itself, thus decreasing evaporation.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:49:37 pm by Roboson »

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2016, 04:15:09 pm »

Spoiler: For size (click to show/hide)

Terrestrius Fauxcactfus had insufficent surface area for photosynthesis, so it evolved small outgrowths, each of which had varying levels of cuticle, enabling it to photosynthesize better. It became a new species, Terrestrius Cuticlus.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2016, 05:06:53 pm »

Spoiler: Prior Evolution (click to show/hide)

As Turtectulis InfraBlingus delved deeper and deeper into the oceans, both pressure and temperature increased for the creature, it's skin grew thicker and also retreated further into its insulated shell, as well as developing a 'helmet' covering, to insulate the most important parts. Thus became known as Turtectulis Infra-Legatus.
I've lost control of my life.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2016, 06:20:27 pm »

snip

The new Turtectulis legionar has developed a more intricate exoskeleton. It has lost the need for green pigment, as it can only see the light it and its friends emit. Thus, it has become paler, though it still shines brightly in the depths.

Turtectulis Championare has developed as its massive armor has slowed it down to a great amount. While it has also grown the cap, the main change are the extra pair of maneuver fins at the back of the Champion Turtectile.

Edit:
Spoiler: The Plants (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:15:00 pm by Detoxicated »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2016, 09:44:11 am »

The Nautorostro Grasperus Underwent some drastic changes to better cope with the new environment, even its pigments reflects that.
A set of filtration devices goes along both sides of its underside, and it gained the ability to flip itself around as it pleases to better navigate these new waters.
Also evolved slightly more complex graspers/mouths to catch its prey with.

The Nautorostro Grasperus has developed a larger shell, and likely a larger brain as well.
It adapted its eyes for deep sea vision, as well as slightly larger flares for easier maneuverability.
It has less claw-like graspers, but they are more adapted to handle small objects and prey. It still have a mouth at what seems to be its palms.

edit:

A branch of the Slymolichus duncanius Decided that it didn't want to live on the surface of the ocean floor anymore.
So it simply buried itself like its previous cousins, but upside down.
Over time it became an entirely new species known as the Upsidius Downus, surviving by absorbing whatever particles happens to land on it.
Also, it reproduces asexually by releasing spores into the dark abyss once every few years.

The Upsididownu Stretchus is a larger variant of the previously mentioned.
It has much lower vision, but capable of stretching upwards and bend at any direction, so it can catch more particles and tiny prey to consume.
It has developed protrusions at its top which helps attract more food.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 10:07:13 am by Ultimuh »

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2016, 03:35:24 pm »

Spoiler: The Plants (click to show/hide)

You missed mine

a_dumb_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2016, 03:39:00 pm »

The Nautorostro Grasperus has developed a larger shell, and likely a larger brain as well.
It adapted its eyes for deep sea vision, as well as slightly larger flares for easier maneuverability.
It has less claw-like graspers, but they are more adapted to handle small objects and prey. It still have a mouth at what seems to be its palms.

the Nautorostro Grasperus now has a comically larger shell and a large tusk for harder meals

a_dumb_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2016, 01:15:25 pm »

Turtectulis Championare has developed as its massive armor has slowed it down to a great amount. While it has also grown the cap, the main change are the extra pair of maneuver fins at the back of the Champion Turtectile.

Turtectulis Championare has become a war beast for N. grasperus, becoming huge, gaining full body armour and a saddle, and developing legs

joaquin55

• Bay Watcher
  • i want die
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2016, 01:24:28 pm »

Turtectulis Championare have developed a horn for defending against predators.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2016, 01:28:35 pm »

Turtectulis Championare have developed a horn for defending against predators.

Rhe horn stands out WAY too much. Good idea though.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

joaquin55

• Bay Watcher
  • i want die
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2016, 06:30:05 pm »

Better?

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2016, 07:30:44 pm »

The horn was fine tbh, as mentioned before no drawing skills are required. They're appreciated though, but dat from needed

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2016, 10:52:54 pm »

From the Cyclopsowyrm aquavenis, the new Cyclopsowyrm subterrenae evolved. It has small shovel like tools with which it tunnels itself through the soil to protect from the heat.

Developing features more suited to life underground, the worm has lost its cumbersome trailing appendages. Furthermore, its subterranean life has protected it from the worst of gold poisoning, and its filtration system has converted itself to integrate the much stronger and lighter ferrous material that it encounters in its underground exploits. As a result it is faster and more durable than its ancestors. It has become known as the Cyclopsowyrm ferrumforma

[spoile][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 06:42:29 pm by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2016, 12:15:11 am »

A subspecies of Grasperus has adapted for amphibious life using the mostly uninhabited land to escape from predators and reproduce in isolated pools
They have eyes that can see above water and leathery skin that provides protection from dehydration and two more legs to provide better grip and locomotion on land
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15