Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Evolution, /tg/ style  (Read 29016 times)

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution, /tg/ style
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2016, 11:24:25 am »

The sandworm has evolved a single large flat eye on the top of it's head to help spot predators. Upon spotting a threat, the worm will burrow down into the ocean floor so that only the spikes are accessible/visible to the outside.

Spinowyrmae flopiscus, the Flop-spiked Spineworm.

Some of the Spinowyrmae grow elongated floppy sidespikes. These spikes look like worms, so unsuspecting predators are lured towards the maw of the flop-spined Spineworm.

I encourage people to quote the post they're evolving their animal from! makes it easier for me to know from which version it evolved.
I'll get an extiction event up later today, provided there's some more species.

Spoiler: Current tree (click to show/hide)

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2016, 11:44:11 am »

--snip--
Autism>Manus Autism evolves smaller tentacles on the ends of it's big tentacles so it can grab things better.

Autismis Occulus develops additional eyes to help identify prey more easily.

I don't actually know what the genus is for this one, so I made it up. I'll change it if you want me to
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2016, 11:46:38 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Florescus Balloonus took a different path from McSpiky, the initial thorny potrusions instead filling up with air, causing them to float the surface of the ocean, and flourishing the increased sunlight there, forming into clumps that float across the surface, serving as the clouds of the underwater world

Terrestius Floris came about as a result of clumps of Balloonus getting washed up on the shores of the landmasses, and adapting to their new dry habitats, more sophisticated gas pocket placements at the crown of the plant and at the base of the leaves keeping their bodies upright without the support of water.

I don't actually know what the genus is for this one, so I made it up. I'll change it if you want me to
All my names so far have been made up latin.

EDIT: Ah whoops, I think I misunderstood the twice in a row rule, hopefully you'll overlook it this once.  :-[
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 12:04:52 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2016, 12:13:19 pm »

I'll get us started off!
Spinowyrmae multospini, the Sidespiked Spineworm. The Spineworm evolves some stubby-yet-sharp spines on its side, to defend that vulnerable spot from other bottom-crawling predators.

Spinowyrmae Maximus followed the maxim of MORE SPIKES

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2016, 02:01:33 pm »

Slimolychos Tentaculus develops a faster metabolism which makes it less fat and allows it to actively hunt for food.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2016, 02:26:57 pm »

-snip-
Plumpolychos Tentaculus has developed longer and more sensitive tendrils, allowing it to feel the water currents/smell food or potential danger in the surrounding area. The tendrils can also pick up rocks and stuff.

Disgruntled and nearly underfed by the sudden rise of skinnier versions of itself, Plumpolychos Tentaculus decided to go the opposite route by adding more weight to it's beleaguered form; specifically in the upper head region to become Mindusplumpolychos Tentaculus. Eyebrows also developed on this creature, though scientists cannot pinpoint as to why this might have happened other than freak genetic mutation.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2016, 02:43:58 pm »

-snip-

Spinowyrmae Maximus>Spinwyramea Maximus Tentaculus has small bulges protuding out of the skin near the mouth, noone knoww what they're for yet, the common theory is that it is the start of a new evolution.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2016, 04:43:43 pm »

Autismis Flopulous exchanges it's tentacles for long flowing flaps.

((Also for some reason my photos upload to the forums as smaller than intended. They're supposed to be the same size as the creature they evolved from.))

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2016, 04:54:53 pm »

Every critter prior to this post has gone extinct at 15-12-2016
EXTINCTION EVENT:

Life in the primocene is blossoming. Yet, a natural catastrophe is slowly but steadily commencing. Due to an earthquake and a rupture in the earth's crust, tiny particles of gold are seeping into the waters and the atmosphere. Currently, the levels are far from lethal, but the amount is only increasing.

Any creature living now, will be extinct and unable to mutate by 7:00 AM UTC+1, about 8 hours from this post, tomorrow! You can decide to let them go extinct, or you can give them a mutation that makes them resistant to particles of gold! Remember, not everyone has to make it through.

One of hundreds of possible examples: Biggis cuntis evolves a gold-filtration organ and incorporates the parts in its shell, hardening it.

The time I'm giving you is experimental, and will most likely decrease for the next events. If you just posted an organism, feel free to adapt it again for this exception.

Spoiler: Current tree (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 02:37:02 pm by Lord_lemonpie »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2016, 05:06:04 pm »

Gold isn't particularly toxic though.
-snip-
Plumpolychos Tentaculus has developed longer and more sensitive tendrils, allowing it to feel the water currents/smell food or potential danger in the surrounding area. The tendrils can also pick up rocks and stuff.

Disgruntled and nearly underfed by the sudden rise of skinnier versions of itself, Plumpolychos Tentaculus decided to go the opposite route by adding more weight to it's beleaguered form; specifically in the upper head region to become Mindusplumpolychos Tentaculus. Eyebrows also developed on this creature, though scientists cannot pinpoint as to why this might have happened other than freak genetic mutation.

Mindusplumpolychos Goldus developed a golden shell in response to the increased gold levels, acting both as a protection and a social display to help them find mates.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2016, 05:13:45 pm »

Florescus Balloonus took a different path from McSpiky, the initial thorny potrusions instead filling up with air, causing them to float the surface of the ocean, and flourishing the increased sunlight there, forming into clumps that float across the surface, serving as the clouds of the underwater world

Florescus Balloonus Goldus adapted to the gold crisis by focusing more on the air pockets in the upper region, to better keep it afloat, linking them together and enlarging them, while those in the lower roots became vestigial. Gold the plant absorbed was then expelled at the roots, forming lumps of gold that would eventually break off and sink to the ocean floor once they became large enough.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2016, 05:19:20 pm »

Terrestius Floris came about as a result of clumps of Balloonus getting washed up on the shores of the landmasses, and adapting to their new dry habitats, more sophisticated gas pocket placements at the crown of the plant and at the base of the leaves keeping their bodies upright without the support of water.

Terrestius Goldus followed a similar track to the plumpies, using absorbed gold as an outer layer of bark for it's stem, easily flaking off, but providing some welcome rigidity and protection.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2016, 05:21:24 pm »

The original Autismus adapts simply by absorbing the gold through its skin.
It has however become a it more conspicuous in the process.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 05:25:27 pm by Ultimuh »

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2016, 05:28:25 pm »

Spoiler: Autism Aurumarietam (click to show/hide)
In response to the growing levels of gold, this species has opened up several 'gills' that act as ramjets, as the Aurumarietam moves forward, the gold is pushed into these gills, where most that enters is pushed out a more rear opening by special muscles. A tiny bit is left inside, and thus, the species is seeing a growing immunity to the toxic gold, as it grows more used to having it in the system. In the special cavities, the minute amount of gold is not allowed direct exposure to anything of importance.

Note: Gold is very dense. You are all swimming sea creatures (Except for that darn plant). Slowness ensues.

Avanti!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2016, 05:31:56 pm »

Spoiler: Autism Aurumarietam (click to show/hide)
In response to the growing levels of gold, this species has opened up several 'gills' that act as ramjets, as the Aurumarietam moves forward, the gold is pushed into these gills, where most that enters is pushed out a more rear opening by special muscles. A tiny bit is left inside, and thus, the species is seeing a growing immunity to the toxic gold, as it grows more used to having it in the system. In the special cavities, the minute amount of gold is not allowed direct exposure to anything of importance.

Note: Gold is very dense. You are all swimming sea creatures (Except for that darn plant). Slowness ensues.
The plumpies weren't very fast to begin with, so I'm aware and didn't consider it much of an issue. Someone can make an alternate evolution or abandon it later on (survival of the fittest!) I guess.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 05:34:40 pm by Demonic Spoon »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15